Dragonslayer's Pet

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zaranock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bladefist

Dragonslayer's Pet

Unread post by Zaranock »

Hello all! I am modeling my Hunter after a Dragonslayer, transmog and lorewise (hoping to get into RP sometime soon).

I will be going Survival in Legion, except if I want to try Thal'dorah. Basically, I need my pet with me at all time.

However, a DRAGONSLAYER will obviously be dealing with giant firebreathing monstrousities. This isn't the average pet that I need.

I considered an eagle or a large bird of prey, for the aerial support, but ehhhhh.

I tried with a wolf(s) but in combat against the larger or more powerful wyrms a wolf will be like a chihuahua attacking a human.

Basically, what pet would fit with a dragonslayer as an able companion to hunt and kill dragons and dragonsworn? This is really bugging me.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Dragonslayer's Pet

Unread post by Bowno »

Hm. I would go with a Dragonhawk. They're dragonlike and would be fitting IMO of a dragonslayer. Almost as if he spared its life or something. Doesn't have to be that way though! A Dragonhawk is quick and nimble, and can use fire in most cases (going by my experience when I encountered them while leveling.)... Which leads me to believe that a dragonhawk could withstand a bit of flame. When fighting a large dragon, it would most likely be able to outmaneuver the large dragon and wouldn't have to worry about a few tiny embers on its wings.

The fire turtle would be great as well, though it couldn't do combat in the air. It would, however, be able to take quite a hit! Again, being immune to flame is going to be what makes this pet stand out compared to the others. Sure, not all dragons use fire.. But when you think of dragons, you think fire. That's why a big ol' flaming turtle taking the hits from large dragon would also be a great pick!

If those don't work for you, any spirit beast (ghostly) would work just fine. I would stay away from Loq because he seems like he much more alive and physical than the others. But a ghostly spirit beast? Well... Its a ghost. It shouldn't have to worry too much about any little blasts from any element dragon, as long as it's not a direct hit. Because they're ghosts, most of them (perhaps not the bear) have nothing weighing them down. They're swift, they can perhaps phase through obstacles and other living creatures at will.

Siggy under construction!

Zaranock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

@Bowno Thank you for the suggestions! I am loathe to get a turtle, simply because I don't like them. If I go BM a spirit beast sound's okay too.

I really like the dragonhawk idea, though.

I still would like more ideas though!
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Well, if you want ghostly without needing to be BM, check out the list of Ghostly pets Kintsugi compiled.

Wind Serpents have a nice ferocious spiky model that could work.
The Arcane serpents are also a nice choice.
Though if you're dragon hunting, perhaps the ground bound wingless dragon, the Warp stalker would be a stout and powerful ally.

But really...what better pet could you find to help you fight dragons, then the Hydra! 3 heads of snake-like reflex, crushing jaws, armored hide and solid stance!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

The drakeadon skin would be a good choice too if you go BM. What better pet to fight a dragon than a core hound infused with DNA from various dragonflights?

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

A chimera is a big flying beast that is pretty tough, and breathes frost to boot. It seems like something that would be well designed for taking on a dragon. I'm ignoring the gimped aberrations masquerading as their own family in this current expansion, however. They even forget how to fly once you tame them ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I'm with Wain here.

Look at that sucker.

Two heads means greater depth perception and the ability to bite two places at once. Two tails for greater air stability and/or greater pain (those tails look like they can sting). And, obviously, the ability to fly means it can go after a dragon that's taken off.

I feel like that's the perfect pet for a "Dragonslayer", though in all honesty I'm not sure what a true dragonslayer character would be doing in the World of Warcraft.
Dragons are generally on our side... and all of the black and twilight drakes that we know of have been killed already.

You could always hunt proto-drakes, though! ;)
Zaranock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I've decided on a Warp-Stalker for my SV pet. I got struck with Warp Love...as in that condition where when you tame one of the ugly buggers you look at it and suddenly its just the best thing you've ever tamed.

Also, Chimera for BM! Those look excellent.

And for those curious about a dragonslayer, yes, the evil ones are mostly dead now and the others tend to be neutral/friendly, but my character is Chaotic Neutral. Does what he wants, isn't really attached to a faction, kills the really evil stuff, but enjoys hunting dragons and other large animals for sport. Dragons are his favorite kill, though. ;)
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

What race are you playing?
Glitterstone
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by Glitterstone »

Well, a mosquito hawks eats mosquitos, a chicken hawk eats chickens, so therefore a dragon hawk would be the best I think.