What are some uncommon pets?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zembo
Realm: Dalaran

What are some uncommon pets?

Unread post by Zembo »

Hi folks. New person here who's always liked the idea of hunters on WOW and indeed joined up just to play one. So I know lots of folks like rare pets, and pets with unusual looks, but what are some pets that you just don't see very often? For example, I've heard that crabs are just not very popular as hunter pets for whatever reason. And if this is posted in the wrong section I apologize.
Tsiya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Re: What are some uncommon pets?

Unread post by Tsiya »

You don't see many boars at endgame, and I've never seen anyone else with an undead boar. Dogs(not the mastiff style, ugh) are under represented, everyone seems to think they're too small. Porcupines too, occasionally see the sb version but never a regular one. I think Veph is the only person I know with a basilisk. And rarer exotics, let's see. In pve not many chimaeras, not many on horde have the Kurken for their corehound. Ghostcrawler may be the rarest sb seen in captivity.

And Welcome!

My pets - My companions

Sig by Sookie!

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

There was a phase of crabs in PvP, just before spiders with web took over. :)

The plainest looking skins tend to be the least common as pets, which makes the ones who are stand out more. It's all terribly ironic.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

White tallstriders. I hardly ever see any outside of my own.
cerpin
Realm: moonguard

Unread post by cerpin »

Vultures and beetles are two that I basically never see.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Zembo

Unread post by Zembo »

Interesting. And why are these less seen, do you think? Do people not think that vultures are as "sexy" as cats?
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I haven't tamed many pets lately, due to the fact that I roleplay and each and every hunter has "his" pet.
Karathyriel tamed a yellow lynx back in 2007 and they're still together.
Bhando, the Troll, went with a hyena first but soon, because of religious reasons, swapped her for a green raptor.
Ashone always went with a boar and switched over to an armored boar of the same color, when he hit the right level to tame one.
(Now he can "take off" or "put on" the boars armor, whatever is needed, by summon the corresponding pet.)

Some pets do have or had annoying behaviors, like birds flapping their wings all the time or the devilsaur stomping loudly along, that just made them unpopular or, in your words, not sexy.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

My troll huntress has ran with her demon dog since they were first made tamable. I very very rarely see one.
Vultures, beetles and yes tallstriders also.
I think w/Tallstriders though it may because so many dislike the change in the run.

I'm on high pop servers and I never see monkies, old world snakes, moths and old world wind serpents. The only ones I've ever seen at all are my girls' pets.
Monkies I get though. Scary beyond all reason they are to me. :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Shoveltusks. They're from a new family, but so far I've only seen 1 in game. Actually, the oxen family in general seems quite rare. It may be their newness, or large size or in the case of shoveltusks, weirdness. Tho I think the weirdness is loveable and they are very unique. I also haven't seen a single scalehide yet. It could be alot of people don't know those types of beasts are tameable yet, since they only showed up in the pre-patch.
Zembo

Unread post by Zembo »

Teigan wrote:Shoveltusks. They're from a new family, but so far I've only seen 1 in game. Actually, the oxen family in general seems quite rare. It may be their newness, or large size or in the case of shoveltusks, weirdness. Tho I think the weirdness is loveable and they are very unique. I also haven't seen a single scalehide yet. It could be alot of people don't know those types of beasts are tameable yet, since they only showed up in the pre-patch.
Interesting! I don't even see them listed on the main Petopia page (that's not a shot at you guys, just an observation. I know some of the dust hasn't settled yet).
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Shoveltusks are under Oxen http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=oxen just like Mana Wyrms are under Serpents. :mrgreen:

Zembo

Unread post by Zembo »

Rawr wrote:Shoveltusks are under Oxen http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=oxen just like Mana Wyrms are under Serpents. :mrgreen:
Well shut my mouth! :oops:
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zembo

Unread post by Zembo »

Slapperfish wrote:I saw the first brown scorpid pet in over five years yesterday during a Barrens invasion.
Cool-I used to have Death Flayer back when rares had different stats. I've got my little hunter heart set on one of those green tarantulas but I'm too low level.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Zembo wrote:
Slapperfish wrote:I saw the first brown scorpid pet in over five years yesterday during a Barrens invasion.
Cool-I used to have Death Flayer back when rares had different stats. I've got my little hunter heart set on one of those green tarantulas but I'm too low level.
These guys? Image

You can get one in Teldrassil as soon as you can tame at lvl 10, since the mobs are lvl 3 and up. But if Teldrassil is a problem, which it could be if you're Horde and don't have a friend with a two seater flying mount, they turn up again at lvl 20 in Hillsbrad and many other places and levels as you go. There's even a rare named Zorn, who hides next to the wall between Hillsbrad and Arathi. So you don't need to be high level to get one :)
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

My dwarf uses a shoveltusk! Because he is a Glorious Moose Knight (and he's a long way from 100). Also my orc has one because she's kitted out in the shaman-look armor from Ulduar complete with ghost-shoveltusk shoulders. I am in love with their absurdly disgruntled expressions. I also like the demon dogs, but I'd use them more often if (yes) they weren't so damn small. Might be okay with a gnome, haven't tried it. I did notice that although Friender uses the dog rigging, it's much bigger. I wish they'd make the demon hounds the same but I doubt they will.

Moths and beetles, yeah, I don't see wasps much either although now that I've muted that infernal buzzing I'll probably start using them again since I have some really fancy ones. To some degree my choice of pet is less about 'oh it does something cool' and more about 'are the noises something I can stand hearing all the time'. That's actually why I avoid tallstriders. The run on the pets doesn't bother me all that much (mounts are a different story), but that loud horrible RREEEEEEEEAAAAWWWWK noise they make constantly I can't stand. Same with the small pigs. I'd use the old style helboars (with the nice run) if their spikes didn't slide around over their skin like they do. (Oh yeah, I avoid pets with graphic glitches too.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Zembo

Unread post by Zembo »

Teigan wrote:
Zembo wrote:
These guys? Image

You can get one in Teldrassil as soon as you can tame at lvl 10, since the mobs are lvl 3 and up. But if Teldrassil is a problem, which it could be if you're Horde and don't have a friend with a two seater flying mount, they turn up again at lvl 20 in Hillsbrad and many other places and levels as you go. There's even a rare named Zorn, who hides next to the wall between Hillsbrad and Arathi. So you don't need to be high level to get one :)
Yeah, I'm a blood elf and I even tried running to Teldrassil to get one at level 10 which was...not successful. I'm gonna get one in Hillsbrad though!
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I think another reason certain pets are "rarer" is because until recently, each pet family had it's own ability and so if you were in a BG for example, you would see scorpids or bats are other pets that had abilities that were desirable in PVP. In a raid you would see pets that brought certain buffs. In a dungeon, either a buff pet or maybe even a tanking pet (if someone had no faith in their tank). Solo play, a lot of tanky pets like beetles and turtles.

Bringing the "wrong" pet along usually got you whispers of "Do you have XXX pet instead?" I had to put aside my personal preferences quite often during raids and pull out a pet I wasn't as keen on, since I usually covered whatever buff/ability we were lacking.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Just off the top of my head: beetles, monkeys, gorillas, carrion birds... And within the more oft-seen pet families such as cats or wolves, I don't see a whole lot of the more common skins, or the more classic models. For instance, I see a lot of MoP tigers, but not so many standard cats. Same with the wolves and such. It's kinda funny how it works that way. ;)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Well, folks do like the shiny models. I've seen a HELLA lot more bears lately since the model change. (I've even started using one, but that's only partly 'cause of the model. Their noises aren't as annoying either.)

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket