[Bug] Spiny basilisks now all olive green

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: [Bug] Spiny basilisks now all olive green

Unread post by Gimlion »

I'm not sure if anyone has provided theory-crafting yet, but if I had my best guess, this change(bug) is tied in with the new mount set to release sometime soon. It's the same color.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Gimlion wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has provided theory-crafting yet, but if I had my best guess, this change(bug) is tied in with the new mount set to release sometime soon. It's the same color.
It seems almost certain to me that this is what happened. I think someone pointed out that their animations changed too.

A rough (and probably a little technically inaccurate) explanation of what I think has happened : WoW model files have a section that describes where to look for the textures /colours. There are two basic types of setting that can be used here - the most common is to tell it to use a texture from a list of possible textures, so the colour can be dynamically set by the designer for the situation they intend. So if the designer wants it to be purple they can easily set it to be that way. The other way is for the file name of the texture to be hardcoded inside the model, which means it can't be changed at a whim. The original basilisk model used the former (as do most texture sections of most models) while the basilisk mount used the latter - it was always green even if you copied over other texture files. I know if I opened the mount in WoW Model Viewer I couldn't make it use other basilisk colours. To get images of how the mount would look in different colours I had to copy over the skin file of another colour and then rename it to green.

So it seems like they changed the basic basilisk model to be the same as the mount (minus saddle) and the restricted texture style went with it.

The question is what will happen to the colour of hunter pets if they fix the model? I suspect they'll revert to their proper ones as the NPC ids usually require them to be a single colour. Hopefully this is the case.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Wain wrote:It seems almost certain to me that this is what happened. I think someone pointed out that their animations changed too.
That would be me. :)
I'd noticed that the model moves completely different than before.
It now has a very smooth centipede-ish type walk and run. The model's texture also looks a lot smoother. Very HD like the new Corehound models.
Personally I hope the new movement /texture is kept I just want the fel green colour back.
What you said makes a lot of sense Wain.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I have received confirmation that they're fixing basilisks, but it's currently uncertain if the correction will make it into a hotfix or an upcoming patch (the latter taking a little longer).
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Still wanna know how they managed to mess something up this badly with a model.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote:Still wanna know how they managed to mess something up this badly with a model.
My post about 3 posts back is what I'm pretty sure happened. It seems to have been a sincere attempt to improve the model which had bad consequences that someone missed or didn't test for.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Today I saw the basilisks in Aszuna are now all ley-purple again.

But my tauren's once-gray basilisk is still olive. Oh well... progress?

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I saw this too! Damn that the old basilisks are staying green though :( I guess the texture did save in the player data.
zedxrgal

So I suspect the Felslate basilisks are still $hit green??? :( :cry:

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

They shouldn't be!

I just checked my stable basilisk and he's back to gray. So, sigh of relief everyone.

In retrospect, it could be that putting him in the stable forced him to 'reset', because he was green when he was out (and had been since they were broken), but now he's fine.

Edit: It makes noise now though. A soft yet continuous thumping noise as it runs. Mildly annoying but nowhere near Corehound Thokstomp.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I took out my stabled purple basilisk and he's all back to normal now! :) And has the new animations too, which is fun! ^^ It makes them seem more lively. (also the great thing about their new posture is their tails are lifted off the ground, no longer clipping through it!)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh thank gawd. So it seems that stabled pets are mostly fixed too, though the occasional one may not be, for some reason.

I must go check the mount model and see if they changed that too, so it can be set to other colours. Maybe it won't be green by the time it's released :) I don't think the green is awful, I'm just curious.
zedxrgal

Well then I've my fingers crossed the Felslate is back to it's fel-green color. I've not tamed one YET (still not one spawn) but I am now very hopeful. I suspect I misunderstood Wain's post. *shrug*

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, my earlier post was in reference to Nachtwulf's post that his character's basilisk was still olive green. But it seems other posters are now reporting that their stabled pets are fixed.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Fingers crossed! I'll have to check mine, too.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

My stabled basilisk was still olive green; it was one of the purple ones before. Not a big deal since I hadn't even gotten around to naming it yet, but not every pet that accidentally changed colour has returned to its original state. For what it's worth, I'd tamed it prior to reaching 110 and hadn't pulled it out of my stable since reaching cap so I'm wondering if some of the level scaling might have hiccupped its ability to get its proper colour back or something.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I wonder if it depends on whether you had ouyr basilisk out of the stable during the period the bug existed. Maybe basilisks that were stabled before it started, and remained stabled the whole time, are the ones that are OK.
zedxrgal

Was their NPC ID changed or would you know?

And uh ....................... on WoW head it shows the change for the Felslate.
On WoWHead the Felslate shows as ID 104895 and the regular olive color (Canyon Rockeater) as ID 107695.

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I abandoned him last night so I can't get an ID, but I picked it up while leveling (so back in early september, pre-bug), did not take it out again (except through Glyph of Dire Stable) during the entire time of the bug's existence, and checked on it last night to find it was olive, so I dunno :x

Well, actually wait... I may have taken it out to try it as Hati, but it was definitely still purple then. So I dunno :X
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

Didn't want to make a new thread on it since it's in the Basilisk area: the "old" basilisks I was able to mute their walking 'sound', now with the new basilisk models their walking 'sound' is like they're tripping all the time on the ground... not sure what the 'sound' is listed under, if anyone already found it, feel free to reply please, I'd love to mute it.
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []