Pet(s) despawning constantly

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Pet(s) despawning constantly

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Every single time I use a goblin glider, and about half the time I use a taxi or portal, my pets despawn (obviously including Hati).

It's getting incredibly annoying. is this a bug? or is it supposed to work this way?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Pet(s) despawning constantly

Unread post by Vephriel »

I think that's always happened with gliders as your pet just can't keep up with the speed/distance you're going and naturally despawns. I don't recall it happening with portals and taxis though, I think if my pet's summoned when I take a taxi it'll pop out again once I land.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'm noticing more and more of this in Legion, since we go in and out of phased areas and have those mini-instances constantly. It's incredibly annoying to see the mob you're supposed to attack for a quest, then suddenly have no pet at your side, because the quest mob is actually instanced and your pet despawns.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Yeah I'm pretty they have changed the coding in Legion to help elevate pet run around and them getting stuck. (Yes i know #CoffCoff)

What tends to happen now more often than not, if you jump down/fall from a level that is about an average fall height, if your pet was going to have an excessive run around or had no path available, it will now despawn when you jump off, and instantly get ported and appear on the point you are going to land.

I think it's programed at that sweet spot that is just greater than a jump and you're classified as "Falling"

I picked up on this and then thought Yay!!! but then it's also not a guarantee. Ours pets a more like to get completely stuck and on rare occasions they will still run around.

I still manged to pull everything in the rooms above in one place as my pet did the rounds. But again i likely stepped of an edge was was very small and didn't trigger the "Falling" factor but the only pathing available to my pet was all the way back up around the 1/2 a dozen rooms.

I think this is the also the number one reason and condition our pets are now getting stuck with such consistency. If we are on something not very high, say a little sitting rock, which has not pathing off it, and we step off it we don't trigger the "falling" our pet does not despawn and appear next to us. However as the pet has no pathing it's just stuck on a the little rock. The can be so small that we don't even see the height variant at times so it's like it's just stuck for no reason.

And I think as Veph mentioned this is the same issue with gliders. Before it was still you and they would run along after you without any conditions. I think now they see us as "falling" and they despawn even if you're an inch off the ground.

To be honest I'm not sure what they did to pet pathing and coding, but it's a right mess comparatively. I get what they tried to do, I looks like they wanted to make it more intelligent, but without explain what they did to us it's just all kinds of confusing.

That and it's now thinking so hard, trying to do so many things with so many other factors, its confusing itself and short circuiting and we are seeing pets stutter and getting stuck more often than ever.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Sounds about right.

I was already finding it incredibly annoying that Hati would just stand around like a total doofus waiting for me to SCREAM at him "attack dammit!".

And add to that, the minute one mob dies, it's like our pets decide to sit there and smell the corpse before doing anything.

"Step on no pets!"

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I don't have a goblin glider, but I have the kite from Highmountain treasures, and eagle feathers from Hunter Eagles, and if the height I'm jumping from is shorter than the pet leash, they'll walk below me, but if it's a giant leap, they'll despawn once the distance between me and the ground is too far. The best example I can think of for a non-despawn is jumping from PvP towers.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

GAH!!!!!

Another spot where your pets despawn.. the stupid elevator in Thunder Totem.
Your pets seem to be afraid of the noise because they refuse to get on the platform. you get to the top and... no pet.

"Step on no pets!"

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I don't know if it's related, or just me being old and losing my mind, but I've logged in on my hunter a number of times recently and found that I no longer have a pet out. I generally only log out in new Dalaran or Trueshot Lodge, so I don't know that it can be blamed on phasing. At first I thought maybe my pet had despawned when I got on a flight or zoned in or out of an instance or something. However, last Thursday at the end of raid night, I deliberately swapped to Peck (the bird formerly known as Mazzranache) since I hadn't quested with him for a long time, before I logged out in Trueshot Lodge. Friday evening when I logged in, he was gone and had to be summoned.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Boven: I think Peck was just letting you know he didn't appreciate being ignored all this time. Sometimes giant pink murder birds just want to feel loved.

"Step on no pets!"

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Sukurachi wrote:Boven: I think Peck was just letting you know he didn't appreciate being ignored all this time. Sometimes giant pink murder birds just want to feel loved.
With all the pets I've tamed, Peck is still my favorite. He was the third pet I tamed as a young hunter in Mulgore. Heck, I had my tank main send my hunter the cash to buy that third pet slot, just so I could tame him. Back before pets autoleveled with you, he was always the first or second pet I'd level up to max. I love that ol bird.

Heck, I even have a picture done by a wonderful artist (who used to post here, and perhaps still does, but I can't remember her name on Petopia):