Flying Pets

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Flying Pets

Unread post by Xylexia »

Anyone else think that flying pets should actually fly alongside you while you're flying? Very similar to how the companion Mini Pets Fly alongside you while you're flying.

I would really love this :-( especially with the introduction to feathermanes...
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Flying Pets

Unread post by Valnaaros »

So long as they just fly beside you. Immediately to mind, there are two reasons why they haven't done this yet: one, they don't want us to be able to have a pet that can deal damage to a boss that, in certain phases, it out of range of everyone. If a pet could fly to them, then all Hunters would be required to have to bring that particular pet. And two, due to how pets and their pathing currently work, they have internal algorithms that constantly check their location to determine where they are, where you are and what you are telling them to do (such as attacking a mob).
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

They'd have to make it work only when you're actually mounted and flying, or falling I suppose, similar to with the mini pets.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Which they could probably do.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Agreed! It seems likely it's something they could make happen, but would take some time to ensure it didn't cause any problems (attack in aerial phases etc.) and they don't really have the time. Hell, they still can't get ground pathing right. There's a special place in Helya's realm reserved for whomever recoded pathing in Legion.

The other (minor) problem is that it might make flying pets more attractive at the expense of ground ones. But purely for aesthetic reasons and maybe that's not a concern.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I guess none of you played during early BC? Hunter pets did not despawn when the hunter took flight, instead they'd run on the ground under you. People immediately used that to grief others by training mobs and then flying straight up, dumping mobs all over whatever poor fool happened to be under them. I knew someone who delighted in running their pet off cliffs, dragging everything along with it, so they'd glitch out. So on and so forth. It was a mess. My pet often inadvertently killed itself while chasing after me and then when I finally landed and went into combat? Dead pet -> dead hunter.

Considering how awful pet pathing currently is, I do not believe for a moment that they could possibly get this to work correctly, and there's no reason to have a purely aesthetic benefit at the cost of gameplay for everyone else.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I've been playing since Vanilla, and I do remember that. It would be a challenge, certainly, and it may not be worth the hassle. It would be great if they can get it to work right, but I'm not certain they can.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

Especially considering some pets within the same family fly/float while others are ground-bound... they're not very common, but they do exist.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

... glitched double post
Last edited by Xylexia on Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

peanutbuttercup wrote:I guess none of you played during early BC? Hunter pets did not despawn when the hunter took flight, instead they'd run on the ground under you. People immediately used that to grief others by training mobs and then flying straight up, dumping mobs all over whatever poor fool happened to be under them. I knew someone who delighted in running their pet off cliffs, dragging everything along with it, so they'd glitch out. So on and so forth. It was a mess. My pet often inadvertently killed itself while chasing after me and then when I finally landed and went into combat? Dead pet -> dead hunter.

Considering how awful pet pathing currently is, I do not believe for a moment that they could possibly get this to work correctly, and there's no reason to have a purely aesthetic benefit at the cost of gameplay for everyone else.
I've played since vanilla however I did not play a hunter until the beginning of BC. I do remember that. It was extremely annoying. I just wish they would make the effort to do this it's aesthetically pleasing and it makes sense and definitely at their bottom of their priority list but it would be cool
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm not sure if follower aggro is still a problem since when youre mounted on the ground your pets don't pull aggro (I don't think?) so the aerial griefing thing is probably no longer an issue.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
martin123

Unread post by martin123 »

Wain wrote:I'm not sure if follower aggro is still a problem since when youre mounted on the ground your pets don't pull aggro (I don't think?) so the aerial griefing thing is probably no longer an issue.
I absolutely agree with you!
Hyperthymesiahealth care tips
Last edited by martin123 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

No, they still can. It isn't a common issue, but I have had it where a mob will decide to go after my pets instead of me, even though I am mounted.
Gup

Unread post by Gup »

There is a Rylak that flies with you. I have him tamed in my stable. Its a certain rylak that some riders in frostfire ridge ride.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Valnaaros wrote:No, they still can. It isn't a common issue, but I have had it where a mob will decide to go after my pets instead of me, even though I am mounted.
Yep me too. It's definitely still there. You can actually see it with Hati if you fly. I've noticed Hati doesn't despawn right away when I take off, and he'll actually run on the ground for several seconds in TBC style aggroing before finally disappearing.

That said however, I'm sure they could program flying pets to fly along side us if they really wanted to. My champions and bodyguards have no problem stitching to flying mounts or flight forms when I fly. Considering many can also feign death when I do or mimic some other abilities I use, im sure there's a way to program a pet to fly along side us if it is a flying beast. It's just a matter of if they wanna devote resources to it.

Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

That may be more of a hati problem since it's not a true stabled pet.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Xylexia wrote:That may be more of a hati problem since it's not a true stabled pet.
Right, I'm just saying it's doing the same thing the pets did in TBC. But in comparison, my bodyguard easily shifts to flying mints or flight form to fly alongside me when I do take of. Which means that there *is* the software and ability to make flying Hunter pets do the same *if* Blizzard wanted.

I mean the flying thing with Hati doesn't bug me out too much. If anything, it just shows the somewhat sloppy and seriously outdated AI Hati uses when both bodyguards/guardians and "true active pets" both recognize a change in the players environment and can react to that change and Hati does not.

Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Xylexia »

That's a good point. May not be too hard to shift AI pathing to be in line with mounted guards.

Still not a priority though :( maybe eventually lol plzplzplz
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

I played in vanilla and yah I remember the whole pet running below you while you were flying, needless to say I sometime.. um didn't realize the mobs following my pet, land for something and it was like "OH HAI GUYS" lol. Right now I'll take just the non crappy hati AI personally.. frig that pet lol. He uh doesnt always like to attack things the lil bugger...
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Rikaku wrote:
Xylexia wrote:That may be more of a hati problem since it's not a true stabled pet.
Right, I'm just saying it's doing the same thing the pets did in TBC. But in comparison, my bodyguard easily shifts to flying mints or flight form to fly alongside me when I do take of. Which means that there *is* the software and ability to make flying Hunter pets do the same *if* Blizzard wanted.
Yeah it's weird that the bodyguards seem to be coded in such a way that they're not massive aggro magnets - so obviously it can be done - but hunter pets (from the actual pet to Hati to even dire beasts) seem to want to aggro everything. If they could code pet pathing to behave like the bodyguards then I would have no objection, though I do think that would make many hunters feel obligated to switch to a flying pet, just so you don't have that momentary lag when you land and the pet has to respawn before it can go into combat. If you're well geared it's not an issue, but if you're not, your face is getting beaten in while Bruno the bear remembers he's supposed to show up at your side.