Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Re: Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Unread post by Novikova »

People on MG are being awful about the talbuks. Yaaaaay. Hopefully I can find a good spot and server hop I guess.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Aquillian
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Aquillian »

Steamwheedle was very quiet when I was getting my talbuks. I'm a solo player 99% of the time so I am a little unsure of how the new grouping/phasing things work.... if I were to invite people into a group would I need to be near the talbuks for them to see them?

EDIT: Looks like they're being farmed here as well now, word spread fast!
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Got one meat, and failed. Another person ran by it and aggro'd it as the meat was mid-air so tame fail :(

Got a second meat, did everything right and still got the "shimmer away" message. Farming for 3rd meat now.

I don't mind the 'trick' to taming them, but I wish it was a bit less "hit or miss" with the whole meat-insta tame deal lol

jaynkumz
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by jaynkumz »

So I'm not sure on the drop rate, I've basically been only farming Talbulks in Grove of Naroua and in probably 50 kills I had 3 meats. I went up and down the road a few times killing the fel ones but never had any drop there.

On the taming - First one was a lone blue one in the Grove patrolling. It walked into a trap->feign->camo->meat->tame and everything worked as intended. Tried getting an Alpha to get the white skin and it shimmered both times using the same technique. I could have done something I didn't notice or there could have been too many people around when trying to tame the alpha but now I'm back to farming 4 more meat instead of 1.

Goodluck all.

To update after the 2 failed attempts on the alpha I havn't had a meat drop since then and killing for about 2 hours.
Last edited by jaynkumz on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Third time was not the charm for me *sigh* Every time I throw the meat, even when I hit tame right away it's just shimmering away. No idea what I'm doing wrong, since Ive tried all the methods people have listed here as succeeding.

But that drop rate is horrendous so I'll try again later after dinner XD

Novikova

Been farming for over an hour. Not one meat. Couple of cool hunters. Oh well. Lots of Alliance hunters. Such is life on MG.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I just wanted to congratulate you guys on all your hard work! I saw the post on Icy Veins today at lunch. I'm so glad that it's not like... actually stupid hard to do. Kind of like the Death Ravager, really.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Novikova

Seriously, even if I'm crabby while I camp talbuk- this was an amazing find. I might just try in the morning or at odd hours.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I tamed an alpha duskcloak by killing the two other panthara that patrol it, feigned to reset the alpha. I used camo, threw the meat, tamed. No trap needed. I feel i did something wrong but it still worked out.

I wonder if they intended the actual taming process to be this cryptic and finicky (no visible buff etc)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Gotta say, I HATE this method of taming. It's plain stupid, no arguments. I got home at 4:13~ my time, discarded my pants, and turned on the game. First thing I did was go over to Krokuun and farm meat. Got three other hunters to join me along the way, and 3 hours later we had 2-3 meat each. Got myself a Duskcloak Panthara (blue), one grabbed an Alpha (white), and the two others we were with bailed about half an hour before we went and did tames. I did it as Beast Mastery with the Trap > Feign > Meat method, and the other hunter did the Survival method. Both were successful, though they had to start over since it didn't work the first time.

Having to farm a drop just to tame a normal, non-unique pet is a terrible idea. I've got one meat left, and I am going to get the purple/yellow one next week. I only grabbed the blue one because it was the closest one after the other hunter with me got their white one. I only tamed the blue one to see how easy it was to do. I sincerely hope the failure bit with this is a bug that gets fixed by Tuesday, because I'd HATE to have RNG screw me on the tame I actually want.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Have we found an area that's best for farming? The rng is killing me here. ;(

Hazzal
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Hazzal »

WerebearGuy wrote:Gotta say, I HATE this method of taming. It's plain stupid, no arguments. I got home at 4:13~ my time, discarded my pants, and turned on the game. First thing I did was go over to Krokuun and farm meat. Got three other hunters to join me along the way, and 3 hours later we had 2-3 meat each. Got myself a Duskcloak Panthara (blue), one grabbed an Alpha (white), and the two others we were with bailed about half an hour before we went and did tames. I did it as Beast Mastery with the Trap > Feign > Meat method, and the other hunter did the Survival method. Both were successful, though they had to start over since it didn't work the first time.

Having to farm a drop just to tame a normal, non-unique pet is a terrible idea. I've got one meat left, and I am going to get the purple/yellow one next week. I only grabbed the blue one because it was the closest one after the other hunter with me got their white one. I only tamed the blue one to see how easy it was to do. I sincerely hope the failure bit with this is a bug that gets fixed by Tuesday, because I'd HATE to have RNG screw me on the tame I actually want.
See I actually love tames like this. I like having to search for a way to do something but as people mentioned earlier we could not tame them in the PTR builds so WE are the testers right now and I think we can agree on the following:

1) We don't mind rare drops for the meat but the current rarity is overkill. 3 hours of farming with nothing to show for it shouldn't be possible. This is "dragonling pet" drop rate at times.

2) When we do finally get these rare drops we'd like the taming process to actually, predictably work.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Helsinki wrote:

Those..... are all the BEST names!!! Image Image Image Image

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Novikova wrote:People on MG are being awful about the talbuks. Yaaaaay. Hopefully I can find a good spot and server hop I guess.
I have three to give away if you are alliance.
Lordvego
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lordvego »

a flow Ive found to work relatively reliably and after multiple fails is this:

Aggro>Trap>FD>FROM FD (this is the important part) toss the meat>Tame

This way from what Ive found, lets you toss the meat and get the thing on them while they arent aggro'd. I tried multiple way of unFDing and everything kept putting the mob into attack mode and failing the meat toss. Overall I probably farmed for 3-4 hours, got about 10 meat and wasted 7-8 of em with the crappy mob being aggroed all the time.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

ugh. I got meat on my third kill- messed up and wasted it- and have now been farming all evening for another one. 200 kills and nothing, yeesh. they could have made the drop rate a little less steep.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I don't mind tames like this, but this should've been tested in the ptr. We could've done all of this theorizing and whatnot in the ptr, not Live.
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

Well. I'll be back at it again later tonight (alliance side) if anyone wants to join me later for some late night farming.

I'm just... so disappointed this is as rare as it is. I seriously have no problems with drops not being 100%, but I did a bit more when I got back on and I'm going to hit 400 kills soon. At 200 I just laughed at my bad luck but now... ugh. I'm sorry others are seeing such bad luck too.
funk#1402

Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Yea I think i've been farming for about 2 and a half hours now. :(

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

Valnaaros wrote:I don't mind tames like this, but this should've been tested in the ptr. We could've done all of this theorizing and whatnot in the ptr, not Live.
I don't mind doing the theorizing live, personally, but I do understand what you mean. Some people don't play the ptr and letting things like this go live is how they get to experience puzzle solving, so I can see the fun in that for them. We just can't even do much testing right now. It's hard to try and replicate tames when you need something so rare. Even the finicky nature of of the tame (or bugs, if its not intentionally that unstable) wouldn't be /as/ disheartening if we had more chances to try. Obviously the actual tame mechanic needs (imo from what I've seen) some stability tuning, of course, but the drop rate is preventing me (and others) from even trying. The kinks could be figured out and better feedback could be given if we could try more. If the drop rate is intentional then I just don't know what to think anymore. Maybe the pet is meant to be rare, but I don't see why. Killing talbuks for 4+ hours isn't fun. This isn't 2004 when pointless grinds were the cornerstone of mmos (hyperbole, but you get my point maybe).

Sorry for my bitterness. RL things have tested my patience lately and I think it's bleeding over.
funk#1402