Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Unread post by Wain »

I just successfully tamed the exact beast I'd failed to tame a little earlier and this time I ensured I had it targetted before throwing the meat. Again, it may be a coincidence, but so far it fits.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Daetur
Realm: US- Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Daetur »

I can say with 100% certainty that I had the Pantharas targeted as I threw the meat during both of my successful tames.
Rhaenia
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Rhaenia »

You might be onto something. During at least two of my unsuccessful attempts I know for a fact that I didn't target before I threw the meat.

Valyrio muño ēngos ñuhys issa

ligewolf
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: the Underbog/ Moonrunner (H) US

Unread post by ligewolf »

Rhaenia wrote:You might be onto something. During at least two of my unsuccessful attempts I know for a fact that I didn't target before I threw the meat.
Plot Twist Alert!!

Here is my video of 1st try tame.. I did NOT have pet targeted. Might have to do with how the meat was placed by the pet??
Maybe the angle in which you approach the trapped beast?? Someone did mention to try taming via behind it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2EfUe ... 6LyrCDggZa
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Damn! Well there goes that theory :/
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Bristlenose
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Bristlenose »

Selenah wrote:
Bristlenose wrote:I just tried again. Same b.s. I was in Survival, camo'd trapped, threw the meat directly on top of the alpha. It did nothing at all. No buff/debuff or change. I'm tired of doing this. And yes, I took off my weapon and trinkets so nothing could proc.

There's no buff or debuff just a blood splash. After the blood spash you have to press the tame button or you'll fail.
Tried that but there was no blood either. Also had them targetted to see if the blood spatter would show on them when I tried.
Selenah
Realm: C'Thun

Unread post by Selenah »

Bristlenose wrote:
Selenah wrote:
Bristlenose wrote:I just tried again. Same b.s. I was in Survival, camo'd trapped, threw the meat directly on top of the alpha. It did nothing at all. No buff/debuff or change. I'm tired of doing this. And yes, I took off my weapon and trinkets so nothing could proc.

There's no buff or debuff just a blood splash. After the blood spash you have to press the tame button or you'll fail.
Tried that but there was no blood either. Also had them targetted to see if the blood spatter would show on them when I tried.
If there's no blood splash you won't success when trying to tame the panthara :(
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

My druid found some meat while running about. If any one has a Horde character in need of meat on Moon Guard, let me know and I'd be willing to sell it to you for cheaper than the AH :3
EDIT: It has been sold. Sorry :C
Last edited by Bowno on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siggy under construction!

Kaiarra
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Kaiarra »

Hewolfke wrote:Video was PTR... many scrn shots are too... :( Nvm, i do not belong in these stories, as i've seen a person posting inhere, at dalaran, claiming to have the cat, and after he/she was there with a spiritual and hati true form, person didn't even have done the quest to essence swap his hati... That is what i ment by "fantasy", or posting to post a "post". Goodbye.
What an odd thing to say. Can assure you people have them tamed (surprised you haven't seen people running around with them). Just because they've tamed the cats doesn't mean they'll be using them, as cats are a useless family compared to something with hero, battle res, levitate, shield wall etc. Some people also like Hati and don't essence swap him, if i could get a matching wolf tame I know I probably wouldn't.

Here's a link to my alts pets showing the Alpha/Stalker tamed on the official armory; Can't really PTR/fake that:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... ons/stable
jna3773
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU) (Ally) Earthen-Ring (EU) (Horde)

Unread post by jna3773 »

I have tried litterally 5 times and failed. I spend a lot of hours farming the meat of the talbuks.
I don't mind the challenge or the hours of work putting into it, it only adds to the 'it was worth it' feeling.
And I do appreciate a bit of special things to do before getting a pet, makes it more immersive to have tamed a beast.
But, somehow, I still wish there was a bit more of confirmation or more certainty to a tame.
Meaning, it would be a bit less frustrating if there is a message on screen or chat that says: "You are now able to tame this beast".
Or that you can use the meat for a maximum of two times before it vanishes from your bags, to get a second chance so to speak.

Like with other non hunter related quests where you have to weaken a specific mob to 30 or 20% health before you can use an item on them.
Most of the time you'll get a message like 'the target is weakened' and then you can use a certain item.

I wish it is with taming this beautifal cat as well, a bit more confirmation that something is possible, besides the blood spatter animation.

Anyway, of to the next piece of meat :) I'm not angry, but when you grind for a piece of meat only to fail, makes you feel uncomfortable.

Greetings and regards everybody, I love this forum.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

jna3773 wrote:I have tried litterally 5 times and failed. I spend a lot of hours farming the meat of the talbuks.
I hate this is happening. I failed 3 times myself. You'll get it! If you haven't, watch Ligewolf video a few posts up. May help!
bardgal
Realm: Antonidas, Uldum, Icecrown

Unread post by bardgal »

I've had two successful tames. The Indigo, and the Fel-Green.

Both times I was an idiot and ended up using at least two pieces of meat.

What worked:

1. Ice Trap - I'm not sure, because I didn't think about it until just now, reading the latest posts... but both the cats I tamed were stationary - lying down, so they didn't walk into the trap. I just tossed the trap on them - not pre-targeted.... but I'm sure after that it was targeted. I don't use Ice Trap that much because I main BM, but does the trap's catch auto launch the target?

2. Feign Death - to immediately drop aggro (though I didn't show aggro around the target, which is how I screwed up one of the times by not hitting FD before the meat.) Don't be fooled. Just do it.

3. Camo - get closer.

4. Toss Meat from stealth. I just tossed it on them (not pre-targetted, but again, I main BM, so does Camo clear the target? This might be important...)

***Both times at this point I hit TAME and nothing - because the cat wasn't targeted, so I had to target, then hit Tame again.***

Not sure what cleared the target.

5. TAME

Not sure, but the "blooding" might clear the target. Don't be me. Thankfully, I managed to do it all in time... tame/OH CRAP/target/TAME...UGH.

You can also visibly see the blooding effect when you get it in the right place.

I'm still farming for the rest... so if I figure out any more details, I'll followup.

Good luck.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I got mine on the first go with the SV Trap->Feign->Camo->Meat->Tame sequence. No flubs, but be aware that the toss range for the meat is WAY SHORTER than the range for anything else. Had one more meat... so I sold it, haha. (what, that stuff's NEVER GONNA BE as valuable as it is right now...) Edit: it was one of the gray ones, duskcloak alpha.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Ambush
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ambush »

I failed twice because the meat did not land in the right spot. You need to target the Panthara and drop the meat exactly on his target ring. The first two fails I approached from the front. It is best to sneak up behind. I had no problem the 3rd time. I did petition a GM. After 3 petitions, he finally said, "Try to be a bit more sneaky."

Does anyone know where to find the Blue-Gray Panthara on live, other than Mac'Aree?
jna3773
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU) (Ally) Earthen-Ring (EU) (Horde)

Unread post by jna3773 »

I've been reading the comments before and after my own post and thanks for all the step by step procedure on how to get it done.
I appreciate it alot. Also reading about successes is assuring me that it is possible, just that I did it wrong.
Also grats to everybody who managed to get a Panthara. :D
I hope that I eventually get a panthara.
One thing is for sure, if I do manage to get it done then it will be a special pet for sure and something to remember on how 'difficult' it was to get it.
Even when it might be frustrating at times, it is still making my heart beat faster. Just the whole process of taming a panthara makes it a 'bonding' experience so to speak.
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Bowno wrote:My druid found some meat while running about. If any one has a Horde character in need of meat on Moon Guard, let me know and I'd be willing to sell it to you for cheaper than the AH :3
Sure. I'm Rainfish, and I can buy it to donate or something. Or just in case I screw up the purple cat tame Tuesday...
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Novikova wrote:
Bowno wrote:My druid found some meat while running about. If any one has a Horde character in need of meat on Moon Guard, let me know and I'd be willing to sell it to you for cheaper than the AH :3
Sure. I'm Rainfish, and I can buy it to donate or something. Or just in case I screw up the purple cat tame Tuesday...
Ack! I'm sorry. I just sold it. I'll go edit my message so no one else gets confused. If I get another, I'll give you a poke ASAP!

EDIT: JUST GOT ANOTHER :D I'm Ushi, Tauren druid. I'll add you to friends and give you a poke when I see you log on.

Siggy under construction!

Nomsy

Unread post by Nomsy »

Vephriel wrote:
Wain wrote:Question that may (or may not) shed some light on the problems people are having with taming panthara:

When you throw the meat, do you also have the beast targetted? Just now I successfully tamed after throwing the meat with the beast targetted. Then I tried to tame another but it failed, but in that instance I hadn't targetted the panthara before throwing the meat, I only clicked on it to tame.

Maybe it's a coincidence but it makes me wonder.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I do believe both times I tamed panthara I had them targetted while throwing the meat, but I can't say with 100% certainty.
I just got done testing taming without targeting the cats. I had 3 meats saved from Thursday - was out of town the last few days and got back today. I hopped on, and followed the taming methods but did NOT target the cat. Trapped, FD to ensure there was no aggro, slipped into Camo, and approached from behind. Threw meat, waited for splatter effect, targeted the cat, hit tame and received the emote. This was on the Alpha down in the Grove that has the blue ones walking with it.

I waited for the trap to drop and everything to reset and tried again. Made sure cat wasn't targeted and dropped meat right on top of it's head, targeted cat, hit tame, received emote and instantly picked up aggro.

Tried a 3rd time but this time, I targeted cat, dropped meat, hit tame, and instant success.

Not sure if anyone else has tested this as the drop rates for the meat are soooo low, but it might be beneficial to the community if others tried it to see if you HAVE to target the cat.
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

After 400+ kills and another 4-5 hours farming without counting anymore, I finally got some meat. Suddenly, they're dropping regularly for me, even though I'm farming the same mobs. Gotta love rng.

Anyway, I have 5 meat on live for next week (wanted a few extra in case I screw up). I tamed the panthara I want from Krokuun without flaws.

I am going to transfer my hunter and meat to the ptr to do some testing. If anyone knows anything specific they'd like to see tested let me know.

Edit: I will be doing this later tonight. I can test specific npcs too.
funk#1402

bardgal
Realm: Antonidas, Uldum, Icecrown

Unread post by bardgal »

I tried again, and failed. The issue for me was not getting the meat in the right spot.... no blooding effect. I had no backup meat.

UGH.