Should we have more stable slots?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Neptr
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Should we have more stable slots?

Unread post by Neptr »

It was a completely appropriate comparison between a harmless person on a forum spouting ridiculous opinions about how other people should not be allowed to be happy because "we have to draw the line somewhere" or whatever ridiculous argument you would like to present next, to a group of religious bigots who spout ridiculous opinions about how other people should not be allowed to be happy because "we have to draw the line somewhere" on legal marriage. You have no solid argument against letting hunters tame more pets, I repeated myself many times in that post pointing out how ridiculous their opinions on this are. I have never heard of the Westboro Baptist Church actually physically hurting anyone, nor do I believe their ridiculous opinions about how we shouldn't be allowed to store pets are hurting anyone. I think they are both illogical and they both make arguments against something that shouldn't we shouldn't be arguing about in the first place. Illogical is the politest word I can use to describe people who try to make arguments against something like giving players more storage space or replacing the storage system entirely with a modern and practical system like how we use mounts and battle pets already. Westboro Baptist Church don't make any sense but they don't really hurt anyone either. Same goes for someone on a forum who just doesn't make any sense but inflates their opinion with enough posts to make it seem like the playerbase actually doesn't like taming pets and having the ability to store more pets that they tame. Really don't mean to repeat myself this much but it seems like you guys didn't seem to understand my comparison. If you were upset or hurt by that comparison I would highly suggest you read through your comments and reflect on what you said and what this discussion (as unnecessary as it should be) is about. I mean come on... draw a line? I really am trying to be polite here.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Time to step in, it seems.

Neptr - the core of your argument certainly has worth, but the aggressive way you went about it, conflating those that disagree as akin to human rights abusers, was inflammatory and insulting to our community. It's not the way we try to conduct ourselves here.

As for the stable slot debate, I think there are two ways of looking at this (and other issues that come up):
- as a player, it's not going to overbalance the game, give us an unfair advantage, or hurt others in any way, so why not?
- in overall game design, as a Blizzard employee may think, would it affect the intended experience in any way, even if balance isn't affected?

Both are valid points of looking at game changes. If we don't learn to consider the latter then we'll never come to terms with why game designers sometimes make unpopular changes. It doesn't mean that we should use that to shut down the former view, either- players asking for things and pushing for changes is the only way we see a lot of things in the game. I believe players pushing for things (whether fairly or greedily) helps drive game change, while players considering game design helps us to appreciate changes we may not personally want.

I think both types of opinions have been expressed here in a respectful manner, and it's not helpful to start demonizing either side.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Neptr
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Neptr »

Freedom of speech is not an abuse of human rights, it is a human right. WBC has the right to their opinions and protests, just as other people have the right to their opinions (and inevitable protest) of hunters getting a quality of life upgrade with their pet storage. My comparison is warranted because as I said, they are both doing the same thing, just on different topics. The topics are grossly different in importance and the number of people impacted but the comparison still stands. You have every right to get offended by getting called out on something. You have every right to your opinions and your protests so long as they don't hurt anyone, which I said, nobody has been, with regards to forums or the WBC which despite their views, are still peaceful and expressing their bizarre opinions. I literally signed up on this forum to call people out on this. This shouldn't even be a discussion in the first place. This is a quality of life upgrade. It doesn't imbalance or negatively impact anyone or anything. If a strong, fact based argument presents itself, we can talk about it. However I doubt that happening because of all the reasons that I've already listed explaining why there should be absolutely no problems with giving hunters an upgraded pet storage system akin to the existing battle/companion pet system.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

This isn’t a public space, it’s a privately-owned board with its own rules of conduct. If you don’t wish to show respect for that you can always start your own board and attract posters, or try the forums on MMO-C. The rules here are different to there and we generally have a respectful community as a result. You aren’t welcome to post like that here and that part isn’t up for debate.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Hmm, this debate always has interesting opinions, I think I'll check it out-

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Equeon wrote:Hmm, this debate always has interesting opinions, I think I'll check it out-

:lol:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

One of my favourite eps of Community :D
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

/use fire extinguisher :)

Taking the topic in a slightly different direction...Does anyone care to speculate on how many new families we'll have next expansion? Just a few more families, and even I would admit to needing another page in the pet stable.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

GormanGhaste wrote:Does anyone care to speculate on how many new families we'll have next expansion? Just a few more families, and even I would admit to needing another page in the pet stable.
Granted this is all speculation, but here's the maximum new families we could get.

- Isopod

- (Possible, could be Scalehide or Warp Stalker) Lizard

- (Possible) Pterrordax

- (Possible) Giant Toads

- (Possible) Troll Bloodbeast
Last edited by Equeon on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Isopod is fairly likely, I think.

They could add the Komodos to Scalehides or give them their own family.

Pterrodax could be put into their own family, or put into a Dinosaur family along with the Brutosaurs, Dimetrodons, and possibly Direhorns. They removed the reflection ability that Direhorns currently have, so it is possibly they are preparing to change the family.

I'm not sure whether or not the Bloodbeasts will be tamable or not; largely depends on what they are exactly.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

What about *frogs*?!?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Shoot! How could I forget the frogs?! I sat here looking at my list for a minute, thinking that I was missing something. That was it :lol:
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Personally I think the horny toads (aka komodos? Is that what Blizzard is calling them?) should be grouped in with warp stalkers in like a lizard family. They're using that skeleton after all & they look a lot alike. They don't strike me as being very large like the scaelhides are and not the same .................. shapes.

I said in another thread that I would LOVE if Blizzard just did away with the whole stable slots thing & made it a tab like mounts & battle pets. As said it is definitely a doable thing. With everything coming out I am starting to be swayed in my position of 55 being enough. :? The current system IN MY OPINION is very archaic. I do think it's a cool that a portable stable master is being brought in possibly but that still doesn't alleviate the very outdated stable system. I throw my vote in for the tab method also like mounts & battle pets. Seems like the easiest remedy.

Granted I've NO CLUE how making a system like this works but I do feel Blizzard could make it happen. I mean. Forgive me but don't they have a team specifically dedicated to hunters /pets or pretty close to it?

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The new model of toad is certainly big and mean enough.

The mechanicals make things more uncertain as it’s hard to be sure which they’ll allow. We already have tameable mechanical chickens and bunnies so almost anything is possible. There are so many new mecha chickens, prairie dogs and frogs. The frogs are a lot simpler and seem less likely.

For the record, I’m firmly in the camp of increasing stable size. I appreciate the “limits make you appreciate choices and make pets more personal” but at 50 slots I think we’re already well past that and I’d prefer hunters to have the thrill of trying out new tames in each patch without agonizing over abandoning pets.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Having the same skeleton doesn't mean they should be in the same family. Carrions and Birds of Prey share the same skeleton, but they are in separate families. Worgs and Dogs have the same skeleton, but they are in separate families. Porcupines and bears have the same skeleton, but they are in separate families. Aside from the skeleton, Warp Stalkers and Komodos are entirely different in how they work. The former is capable of manipulating the arcane and time, and can slip in and out of reality. Komodos, as far as we know, are just giant lizards with no magical abilities.

Aye, with Mechanicals really anything that is designed to look like an animal can fit into the family.

Even with all of these new beasts, I still believe that 50 is enough; that they should be bonded with and shouldn't become the next iteration of Xmogs, Mounts, and Battle Pets. Of course, the Stable UI should be updated, but I'm entirely against a Pet Xmog tab, infinite slots, or even a giant increase.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

Holy moly, I forgot about toads. I even meant to put them down on the list. Here's to hoping we can actually tame those, too.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Wain wrote: For the record, I’m firmly in the camp of increasing stable size. I appreciate the “limits make you appreciate choices and make pets more personal” but at 50 slots I think we’re already well past that and I’d prefer hunters to have the thrill of trying out new tames in each patch without agonizing over abandoning pets.
Yeah this is my issue. I love new pets and I probably will have to make another hunter at this point (but i'm all anal OCD about having all my main toons on one realm/screen and now we have a scroll bar aaaah!) but I don't think it's too much to ask to give us the option of more stable slots at this point. I mean we got a lot of gorgeous skins in legion and I had to reluctantly let some of mates go for them (I do use/cycle through my pets quite abit for the record so none go neglected for too long) and now with all the updates/new pets surely this is on the horizon now. I mean If they can solve the vanilla backpack issue they can do anything at this point :lol: *fingers and toes crossed!!*

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I admit it. I am starting to be swayed from my purist ideals of having a handful of cherished pets. Dangit, isopods and frogs, how could you do this to me?! A But, the genie came out of the bottle a long time ago, didn't it, as far as huge stables go. As long as the "pet mog" idea isn't a thing. I still say no to that.

*stacks pets in corners, throws sheets over them* I don't have a hoarding problem. Everything is fine. Give me toads, please.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I have a few cherished pets, but then I have pets for utility (M+ and pvp), especially with family skills coming back, and with pet specs potentially being locked again. And then I have pets for certain moods, I bring out my stag "Donder" for winterveil, and will more likely rock a Quillen during Lunar New Year, plus my Ashran clefthoof for doing the racetrack. While I could go out and re-tame a that particular stag every December (etc), I don't want the hassle.
Also, there's pets that take too much camping to retame, and I like holding onto them even if it's just as trophies that I look at myself occasionally (eg: the bulk of my spirit beasts). I think I have between 4-8 slots empty, but those are really likely to fill up with family skills / spec changes. So, I'd really like more stable slots.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

With the recent announcement to pet spec/ability changes, as well as all the incoming model updates, I wouldn't be opposed to more slots. I personally probably won't use them all, but I understand that many hunters would.
Last edited by Rhyela on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.