core hound vs ravager

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

core hound vs ravager

Unread post by Dulanie »

While questing in outlands I noticed something that seemed odd to me. I noticed that my ravager was doing higher dps and holding agro better then my core hound. I have never ran the numbers but accouding to recount my dps is about 30 points higher with my ravager. Are core hounds on the low end of ferocity or ravagers on the high end of cunning or is this just a fluke? And yes before you asked I tested this with both at the same level and against the same mobs.
We don't die. We multiply.
Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring//Twisting Nether

Re: core hound vs ravager

Unread post by Striv »

Hm... depends on how you have your core hound spec'd IMO.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yes, ravagers have good dps for cunning. Yes, core hounds have bad dps for ferocity.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Striv »

http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#mazM0fc00hoo of course the last 4 points for BM would be 2/2 shark attack 2/2 wild hunt

http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#cMzMz0fh0Mo0o something i would use if i had a ravager. If I were BM: 2/2 on wild hunt of course. then the last 3 points would be placed in... 1/1 Carrion Feeder. 1/1 Roar of Recovery. 1/2 Cornered.

But dont take me for an expert on Cunning pets.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

From what I've heard Core Hounds have rather lack-luster DPS.

I've never used mine for killing things, just for show. xD
Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Striv »

Also... dpsing trash mobs and dpsing a boss are very different.

But yeah from what I have heard core hounds are not the best. But they are cool.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Odd. I wouldn't think the ravager could pull more than any ferocity pet. But it could be, haven't done any math on it.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Ravagers, along with wind serpents used to be the MUST HAVE for raiding, due to their DPS and overall survivability. They were nerfed, however, while wolves were buffed. I mean, Blozzard won't nerf wolves because it would be too big a nerf for hunters overall.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

saturo wrote:...while wolves were buffed...
Correct me if I'm wrong but the wolves howl was nerfed big time!
It was affecting the whole raid first, then cut down to only the hunters group and now the hunter alone.
If that's no nerf then what is it? ;)
Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Striv »

Actually the wolves will be getting a nerf soon. Blizz wants it so you pick the pet because you like it. Not because its top dps. Which is the way things should be.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I meant when they made howl raid-wide

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Honestly... If every pet was exactly the same and you just could go for looks... Just grab the next level 1 boar running across your feet in the starting zone, it'll jump to level 75 (and with Cataclysm probably to your current level) anyway and it'll do everything any other old pet would do...

Bah, were is the point in it, then? Why would someone take all the work to tame a rare or an exotic when it didn't pay off but in looks?

STOP MAKING EVERYTHING EQUAL, BLIZZARD! :(
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Yeah, I miss the days when pets were more than just looks and family skills. And talent trees.

Back when, pursuit speeds were different, along with attack speeds. It made your pet really feel special. Yeah, some pets had disadvantages from this and some were OP, but oh well.

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Ryno wrote:Yeah, I miss the days when pets were more than just looks and family skills. And talent trees.

Back when, pursuit speeds were different, along with attack speeds. It made your pet really feel special. Yeah, some pets had disadvantages from this and some were OP, but oh well.
Oh yeah. The badge of having a rare because it was a better pet... taming random other pets to learn their skills to skill up your pet... I liked that having a pet was more than my pet attack macro. (Don't miss the pet leveling though!!)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Striv »

Hmm... I remember those days too. But... I don't want to have to go out and tame a rare just because it does more dmg. I pick my pets based on the way they look. If a rare did more dmg than my generic tiger and my guild said "hey n00b get dat rare or we wont brng u 2 duh raid" then I would be upset. To me... the game isnt all about numbers. :)
Sarayana

Striv wrote:I pick my pets based on the way they look. If a rare did more dmg than my generic tiger and my guild said "hey n00b get dat rare or we wont brng u 2 duh raid" then I would be upset. To me... the game isnt all about numbers. :)
Heh... I didn't raid back then, I was just a pet nut (unlike now, of course *cough* :? ). I spent hours on petopia picking out the perfect pet, then thottbot/allakhazam to find out when & where it spawned. I had my friend help me duo UBRS at level so that I could tame one of those black wolves in there cause of the skill (I don't remember what skill they had that was so particularly fantastic I couldn't wait a few levels for it... wasn't really the point either...), he with his stealth and me with liberal use of FD and tracking. Those spiders gave us such a hard time! :x Man was I proud of it!!!

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Azzrazzah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary is the Shizznit,

Unread post by Azzrazzah »

Blizz realy doesn't like hunters anymore.. It's starting to feel as if they hate us for some reason..
They are vanilla-ing all the pets... It's sad... I used to have so much fun taming a rare, going for those elite tags.. They realy screwed us when they went with the tallent tree's.. Having so many of the high hit shots all linked to crap you don't need or want to spend points in... Or having shots on same timers as other shots.. Or pet talent trees... I remember when you wanted a certain talent for your pet; you went out and tamed that animal with that talent; then taught your pet it.. Screw it.. they ought to have pets scale right to 80 (or whatever lvl you currently are), doesn't mean anything to lvl a pet anymore.. hell 75-80 takes no time anymore, you can do that in an afternoon's grind... And why can't any race be a hunter? I'd like an Undead Hunter!!! I'd have one of the sickly riddled animals as a pet, make a good look!!

I Came...I Saw...I Tamed

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Azzrazzah wrote:And why can't any race be a hunter? I'd like an Undead Hunter!!! I'd have one of the sickly riddled animals as a pet, make a good look!!
But they're making Undead Hunters....
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I agree being a hunter used to be a challenge and being uber depended on skill not gear. ( IMO the whole emblem system needs to be redone since any idiot can easily get a gear score of 3k+) As BM spec I take pride in the fact that the tank asks if my pet has growl on when he doesn't. Sadily the pride I feel has severly declined since now it's not about skill and hunting for the pet skills but merely specing right.
We don't die. We multiply.
Sarayana

Blizz realy doesn't like hunters anymore.. It's starting to feel as if they hate us for some reason..

I don't know about that... They're pretty generous to adjust when hunters fall behind on dps; they're going out of their way to design new pets SPECIFICALLY for hunters to tame (and when they ^%&$*@ up the first time by making it part of a kill achievement, they made sure not to make that mistake again); the talent trees (while yeah, definitely making pets more generic) allow us to be able to have more task-specific pets (tank, pvp, soloing, raiding, 5-mans...); they got rid of the dead zone; they made all three specs raid viable... I could go on. I'm pretty sure a few of the devs go home to hunters at night. ;)

Edit: I forgot the best part: switching us from that god forsaken mana to focus in Cataclysm! I jumped for joy when I read that!!! :D

Edited for coding fail :roll: