Compiling a database of pets that retain their names after taming

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Compiling a database of pets that retain their names after taming

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:32 pm Mystery solved; Guardian of the Elders does NOT retain its name upon taming. FOR SCIENCE!
Oh. My. Gawd. I can’t believe you did that! That’s amazing! Thank you so much! 😊
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I'm a bit sad that it didn't pay off visually, but someone had to bite the bullet to find out! I'm leaving my panda on the island until the name actually does become available, if that ever happens. I would go check for Pinky, but I don't want to level another hunter. Not for a long while, considering what I spent two of my days off doing lol.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:36 pm I'm a bit sad that it didn't pay off visually, but someone had to bite the bullet to find out! I'm leaving my panda on the island until the name actually does become available, if that ever happens. I would go check for Pinky, but I don't want to level another hunter. Not for a long while, considering what I spent two of my days off doing lol.
That’s great, thank you again! If/when they make more pets retain names then at least you’ll be ready to check 😊

I’ve tried Pinky but I can’t get aggro for long enough to tame it. All the “helper” NPCs keep breaking traps and stealing aggro :/
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Here may be a dumb idea, especially if phasing is involved, but perhaps doing the quest on war mode may help? Start it on the horde, then have an alliance player kill/incapacitate all NPCs that would be a problem. Of course, I don't know how that zone works with phasing, but assuming that the player trying to tame isn't phased out from the player clearing the undesirable assistants, I think this is the trick to solving that mystery.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:17 am Here may be a dumb idea, especially if phasing is involved, but perhaps doing the quest on war mode may help? Start it on the horde, then have an alliance player kill/incapacitate all NPCs that would be a problem. Of course, I don't know how that zone works with phasing, but assuming that the player trying to tame isn't phased out from the player clearing the undesirable assistants, I think this is the trick to solving that mystery.
It's all quest phased, unfortunately. :( Someone in Wowhead comments said you can do it by letting Pinky kill the helper NPCs and taming him quickly before they respawn, but when I tried it there was no way they'd die before Pinky did.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Take two! I went back and finally tamed Pinky. I had to land on top of one of the gate posts with the flaming torches, which was in range of Pinky, and also ensure that my Juvenile Direhorn companion landed on top of the post with me and hence couldn't find a path to attack. I could then get aggro from the other NPCs by attacking Pinky and then hit tame while the direhorn did nothing. But I found that if I remained on the main post then it gave me a "line of sight" error at the last second, so instead I stepped sideways over the lower fence. For the first few steps I remained in the air, but eventually I dropped and landed on the fence and could tame him, while my direhorn remained out of action on the flaming post. It was tricky but it worked.

Pinky doesn't retain his name.

He was also the last on our checklist! My god, we did it! Thank you all again :D
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Nicely done Wain! :D
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Love the roundabout method. Reminds me of the fun stuff we did for older pets like the dog/SB (now just a dog), the baby direhorn, and the worgen pet. Glad to see the list is complete, but one last thing remains; We must push for all names to stay!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've now made a separate page for just the pets that retain their names, and linked it in the Petopia menu:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/retainednames.php

The page itself has a link back to the name suggestion page, so you don't need to look up this thread to find it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

As Veph noted here, the Scale Matriarchs that didn't keep their names last time I tested them now do. So it's possible many or all of the NPCs that should but didn't retain their names now do. Our current list is here: https://www.wow-petopia.com/tamenamesuggest.php
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Wish I had beta access to check Guardian of the Elders again. Or anything, for that matter.

PTR spoiler: Guardian of the Elders keeps its name now! With the level squish, you need to be level 20 to tame it, which is equivalent to live's current mid-40's. By the time you get to the quest to kill Zhao-Ren (a tameable heavenly onyx cloud serpent that keeps it name too), you're already level 12. Tame yourself a Zhao-Ren, do some mining/herbing for 8 levels (2% per level), and you'll get a unique Quilen. If you just run laps around the temple, the pools, and the Virmin area, you'll get a level after 2~ laps, and it takes ~2 hours to do casually (with logging in and out for any reasons as variables). For a pet with a very unique name, it's worth it.
TeeJay
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by TeeJay »

I didn't see this update anywhere else, so posting it here. Tamed King Krush the other day, as a newbie hunter, and was surprised he did not keep his name. Changed to 'devilsaur' after taming. I renamed him King Krush, but I had been using this great site for information as I leveled and thought I'd let you know.

Anyone else able to corroborate this from taming him lately ? It was Monday night on Kil'jaeden-US.
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

Here is a list of the beasts from Draenor
they keep their names:
  • Hilaani ,Venombarb, The Ebon Hunter, Stonescale, Spineslicer, Maa'run, Kliaa, Riplash, Rakkiri, Loup, Lupe, Banthar, Shagor, Maimclaw
    (also Kil'uun, Gezz'ran, Sher'khaa)
they don't keep their names:
  • Nok-Karosh, Khargax the Devourer, Brood Mother Xylax, Reassigned Warbeast, Roardan the Sky Terror, Rasthe, Soul Fragment

From Pandaria
they keep their names:
  • Kher Shan, Kung Din, Koukou, Succula, Mothallus, Lupello, Krosh(stomps very loudly when running), Kracor, Darkhide, Needlebeak, Snapclaw, Nahassa, Chasheen
  • Hutia, Savage, Chibee, Rakira, Ruukti, Ro'shen, Feverbite, Pengsong, Kalan'ii, Jasper Guardian, Jade Guardian, Cobalt Guardian, Guardian of Sacrifice, Zhing, Wild Onyx Serpent,
    Kroshik, Thok the Bloodthirsty
unknown:
I couldn't test it, but since Savage and Hutia doesn't keep her names, I don't think the others either:
  • Bristlespine, Gumi, Degu, Bombyx, Hexapos, Portent, Rockhide the Immovable, Bloodtooth, Glimmer, Patrannache, Stompy
Are currently not there:
  • Haofeng, Jade Watcher
hidden behind a quest:
  • Yao, Yachi

From Legion

they keep their names:
  • Gangamesh, Jojo the Palestrider, Leytusk, Gloomfang, Managazer, Morashu, Rashar, Spinesever, Stonefang, Spitefeather(!has a unique look!), Leygazer
  • Mac the Bear, Salty, Netherbeak, Lalathin, Kveldulfnir, Mavarnir, Varoudnir, Fenryr, Rotbeak
unknown:
  • Treble, Rush, Nightmother

From BfA

they keep their names:
  • Sandclaw Stoneshell, Braxicus, Iridescent Glimmershell, Garnetscale, Chasm-Haunter, The Hornet, Thundersnout, Rottail, Brinebeak, Ten'gor, Wildtusk, King Da'ka,
    Snarltooth, Bloodcrest, Sevriss, Jarkadiax, Ol' Bubbly (Mossfang Matriarch, Chartusk, Lucktail, The Rime Huntress, Old Frostclaw)

• Guardian of the Spring both NPC's, Lil' Red, Gnarl, Snarl, Gutgut, Makatau, Ayame, Gruesh
unknown
too high to tame currently:
  • Shiz'narasz the Consumer, Caverndark Terror, Elderspawn Nalaada
not yet tested:
  • Needlespine, Wrinklefin, Milden Mud Snout, Azuresail the Ancient, Pinky, Bonescreamer, Liskorath, Milo, Spitz, Nol'ixwan, Tojek, Lucille
not tameable:
  • Snapdragon Matriarch
I haven't been in Mechagon yet
Last edited by Aroim on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 89 times in total.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I've checked Eastern Kingdoms, Eastern Kingdoms dungeons and raids, Kalimdor, Kalimdor dungeons and raids, Outland, Outland dungeons, Tiragarde Sound (with N'lyeth). Couldn't do some of them for various reasons, so someone else has to check those.

Confirmed to keep name after pre-patch:

Code: Select all

- Bach'lor
- Banthar (Outland)
- Bellygrub
- Bhag'thera
- Boglash
- Deadmire
- Deathclasp
- Duskfang
- Duskwing
- Gammerita
- Gargantapid
- Gomegaz
- Goreclaw the Ravenous
- Gutripper
- Hell-Hoot
- Horrorjaw
- Ironjaw Behemoth
- King Mukla
- King Reaperclaw
- Magmadar
- Margol the Rager
- Mragesh
- Naphthal'ar
- Ol' Sooty
- Princess
- Queen Silith
- Rema
- Rimepelt
- Sarkoth
- Screamslash
- Shadra (Hinterlands quest version)
- Sin'Dall
- Shy-Rotam
- Sporewing
- Stinglasher
- Stonegazer
- Terokkarantula
- Tethis
- The Lone Hunter
- Trachela
- U'cha
- Ursius
- Winna's Kitten
Confirmed to NOT keep its name:

- "Count" Ungula
- A-Me 02
- Barkmutt
- Blacksting
- Brumeran
- Chimaeron 
- Chomper
- Chromaggus
- Deathskitter
- Felspine the Greater
- Feng
- Fez
- Fleetfoot
- Ghaz'an
- Gahz'rilla
- Galak Packhound
- Ghamoo-Ra
- Gizrul the Slavener
- Goldie
- Guardian of the Deep
- Guardian of the Spring (Requires N'lyeth)
- Halcyon
- Ironjaw
- Jetwing
- Korthos
- Kresh
- Lo'Shall
- Magoo
- Mara
- Markaru
- Model GU-4RD-3R
- Ol' Beaky
- Pahboo-Ra
- Ripp
- Rose
- Rotgrip
- Scout
- Skarf
- Snowblind
- SQUAAAWK!
- Tekton
- The Black Stalker
- Tyrantus
- Uvuros
- Verek
The following need others to check, as I couldn't do them.

Could not check due to quest completion:

- Brokentoe
- Dreadtusk
- Gorebite
- Guardian of the Spring (Requires N'lyeth. This version appears after you finish riding it to its destination. It doesn't last long, and you can't ride the one at the spring anymore after completion)
- Khamen
- Konda
- Lar'korwi (Requires a quest to be spawned)
- Sarinexx
- Smolderos the Carbonizer
- Thartep
- Torgos
Could not check due to not having a Forsaken hunter:

- Sarltooth
Could not check due to not having a Horde hunter:

- Echeyakee (Requires a quest to be spawned)
- Goodie
- Sharptalon (/roar does NOT work anymore)
- Spot (Dustwallow Marsh)
- Vorsha the Lasher (Requires a quest to be spawned)
Could not check because this is a pain to grind;

- Friender (I wasn't patient enough to do it)
- Gezzarak the Huntress (Requires grinding materials in Terokkar Forest)
- Porfus the Gem Gorger (Requires luck with Etherium Prison Keys)
Odd, noteworthy things;

- Aku'mai the Devourer in Blackfathom Deeps is an untameable hydra now. Originally, it did not list abilities when beast lore was applied. Now it does.
Last edited by WerebearGuy on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 21 times in total.
ChaBoiJish
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by ChaBoiJish »

I like that notable pets keep their names now, but why cant I rename them if I want to? I, personally, would rather they default to the pet family name if it means I can still name a pet after I tame it.

I have been taming some new ones now that we have the 200 pet slots. I can rename pets that dont retain their name, but cannot if they do retain their name. I want to name Torgos Articuno, but I cant!
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

You can rename them still, you just have to make/buy a Certificate of Ownership. I don't know requiring it for pre-named pets was intentional or accidental.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thank you both for all those name checks! That was a lot of work :)

I've updated the database.

One question for Werebearguy: I see you've confirmed Rose as not retaining her name, but we don't have her marked as tameable. Is she one of the ones that can be tamed with the Sliver toy?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I check on Alliance, and did use the sliver.
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=137338/rose
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 am I check on Alliance, and did use the sliver.
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=137338/rose
Ok thanks :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've now removed the "checked" flag from everything that doesn't retain its name, except those you've just reported as checked, since they'll all need to be checked again and this should help everyone see what has and hasn't been checked. The unchecked stuff is at the top of the page and is sorted by continent and zone for easier checking. Sorry for saying "check" so many times. Check.

https://www.wow-petopia.com/tamenamesuggest.php