Compiling a database of pets that retain their names after taming

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Compiling a database of pets that retain their names after taming

Unread post by Wain »

I've almost finished Pandaria. There are just a few NPCs I haven't tested, including just one tracking tame (Glimmer). The other tracking tames kept me busy, though.

There are some assault rares in VEB that may be tameable in Shadowlands, but I can't get there currently. Pandaria seems to be a disconnect graveyard for anyone who goes there. :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Kaydia
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Kaydia »

Eastern Kingdoms:

Arathi Highlands:
Boros: Yes
Cackle: Yes
Glint: Yes
Phalanax: Yes
Ripwing: Yes
Saurix: Yes
Snuffles: Yes
Swee: Yes

Badlands:
Barnabus: Yes
Blackshell the Impenetrable: Yes
Broken Tooth: Yes
Deathstrike: Yes
Kalixx: Yes
Needlefang: Yes
Serkett: Yes
Tabbs: Yes
Vorticus: Yes
Zaricotl: Yes
Zormus: Yes

Blackrock Depths:
Verek: No

Blackrock Mountain:
Crystalfang: Yes

Blackwing Lair:
Chromaggus: No

Hillsbrad Foothills:
Weevil: Yes

Loch Modan:
Ashtail: Yes
Gosh-Haldir: Yes
Lord Condar: Yes
Nix: Yes
Ol'Sooty: No
Optimo: Yes
Shanda the Spinner: Yes

LBRS:
Gizrul the Slavener: No
Halycon: No

Molten Core:
Magmadar: No

Silverpine Forest:
Krethis the Shadowspinner: Yes

Western Plaguelands:
Hamhide: Yes

Wetlands:
Horrorjaw: No
Leech Widow: Yes
Razormaw Matriarch: Yes
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Swamp of Sorrows

Kash keeps name

Saw their dead body twice without being able to followup on the next spawn--finally found in the wee hours of the morning.
Valariel
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by Valariel »

Clack the Reaver - yes
Jaxx the Rabid - yes
Hyakiss the Lurker - yes
Shadikith the Glider - yes
Kaydia
Pet Finder

Unread post by Kaydia »

Eastern Kingdoms:

Arathi Highlands:
Zorn: Yes

Gnomeregan:
Chomper: No
Friender: No

LBRS:
Crystal Fang: Yes
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Awesome, thank you! :)

I've added all those plus a bunch I did tonight, and we're down to just 45 pets left to check! :o

Molten Front is being a pain. I'm yet to see a single rare on my realm or on the PTR :( Some of the rest are just rare spawns none of us have seen yet, and some others require you to have a quest to spawn the mob. I'll see if I can do some of the latter on the Alpha, where I can create a reasonably high level hunter of either faction which shouldn't have those quests marked as completed.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I have heard that molten front rares won't spawn if no one is actually there, so they will probably require extensive camping.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

GormanGhaste wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 pm I have heard that molten front rares won't spawn if no one is actually there, so they will probably require extensive camping.
Correct, I posted a thread on it a while ago from data compiled by the Secret Finders/Mount discord
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26201

I tamed Deth'tilac recently and had to camp out all day before I saw any of the spiders start spawning, there was absolutely no one up when I entered originally.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks, I remember that now but I completely forgot about it, sorry! It's a pretty harsh requirement for areas that are so long out of use. :( I;ll add a note to our pet bug list for that.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 pm
GormanGhaste wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 pm I have heard that molten front rares won't spawn if no one is actually there, so they will probably require extensive camping.
Correct, I posted a thread on it a while ago from data compiled by the Secret Finders/Mount discord
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26201

I tamed Deth'tilac recently and had to camp out all day before I saw any of the spiders start spawning, there was absolutely no one up when I entered originally.
Do you happen to remember if it kept its name? :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

There are just 26 creatures left to check! I can't believe we've got through them so quickly.

I've now added notes to looks and NPC pages if the creature retains its name. I'll add a search option for it tomorrow.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Nakk the Thunderer: Keeps the name.
Iridescent Glimmershell: Does not keep its name.

I tamed Nakk a while back to check this. Got it as one of the pets I almost always use, since clefthooves are so absurdly unbalanced as pets. I tried the Glimmershell after HOURS of killing crabs, but it reverted to "Crab" when tamed. Was massively disappointed, honestly.
Kaydia
Pet Finder

Unread post by Kaydia »

Chatter: Yes
Chromehound: Yes
Kroshik: No
Lucktail: No

Lucktail is spawned by an Alliance quest in Tiragarde sound. It runs to a couple of different places after taking a certain amount of damage, and is only tameable after running to the 3rd spot you encounter it.

A note about the Guardian of the Elders (Wandering Isle): There's a couple of issues with this. First, it is listed as tameable, but, it's exotic (Quilen), so it can't be tamed until level 65. Second, once they leave the Wandering Isle starting area, Pandaren Hunters have no way to get back. It's *technically* tameable, but logistically it's not.

A note about Gasaran (Vale of Eternal Blossoms): This Quilen could only be spawned by a Golden Lotus daily in the Vale once someone reached Revered with the faction. With the removal of the Golden Lotus dailies in the Vale, this pet might not be able to get. I don't have a hunter who's Revered with them to check.

Baconlisk (Suramar): Only spawns when Suramar has the cooking World Quest *Slab of Bacon*. I'll keep an eye out for when it is available.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Added! Thank you all :) And then there were 20!
Kaydia wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:12 pm A note about the Guardian of the Elders (Wandering Isle): There's a couple of issues with this. First, it is listed as tameable, but, it's exotic (Quilen), so it can't be tamed until level 65. Second, once they leave the Wandering Isle starting area, Pandaren Hunters have no way to get back. It's *technically* tameable, but logistically it's not.
Yeah, I should probably remove that one. It's all but untameable, unless you're crazy enough to level a hunter to 65 in the Pandaren starting zone! (I seem to remember someone doing that). It was different when you could tame exotics at level 10. I'm waiting to see what happens with Shadowlands - whether that zone is removed entirely or we get access to it in some other way.
Kaydia wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:12 pm A note about Gasaran (Vale of Eternal Blossoms): This Quilen could only be spawned by a Golden Lotus daily in the Vale once someone reached Revered with the faction. With the removal of the Golden Lotus dailies in the Vale, this pet might not be able to get. I don't have a hunter who's Revered with them to check.
Oh, I'm unsure. My hunter is Exalted with them but he's already done the quest :/ I'll see what I can find out.

Update: On the Alpha your character is Exalted with all the old factions by default and I can probably pick up the Gasaran quest and test it out. Unfortunately Pandaria is currently a no-go zone on Alpha, as any character that goes there will give disconnect areas permanently :/
Rebcart
Realm: Mug'thol

Unread post by Rebcart »

Wain wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:21 am
Kaydia wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:12 pm A note about the Guardian of the Elders (Wandering Isle): There's a couple of issues with this. First, it is listed as tameable, but, it's exotic (Quilen), so it can't be tamed until level 65. Second, once they leave the Wandering Isle starting area, Pandaren Hunters have no way to get back. It's *technically* tameable, but logistically it's not.
Yeah, I should probably remove that one. It's all but untameable, unless you're crazy enough to level a hunter to 65 in the Pandaren starting zone! (I seem to remember someone doing that). It was different when you could tame exotics at level 10. I'm waiting to see what happens with Shadowlands - whether that zone is removed entirely or we get access to it in some other way.
Imagine if GotE actually does keep its name, it would be one of the hardest and unique tames in the game, since people will be going for the name tame now if the monster shares an appearance. Right now is the best time for someone to try to level a panda to test this with the 100% exp buff, but leveling through gathering will take a long time.
rebcart.com
Kaydia
Pet Finder

Unread post by Kaydia »

I am unable to check Pinky (Zuldazar). My Horde hunters have already phased past that part of the Juvenile Direhorn quest.

Bonescreamer: No
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks! :)

I've added search functionality now. You can add a search filter for pets that retain their names:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/search.php? ... ortby=name

I've also added a sort order selector, so you can elect to sort purely by name, or family then name, level, family & looks, etc.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

- Skoll was confirmed by a few people as keeping his name.
- I marked Gasaran as retired, since the quest required to activate it is no longer available.

11 left, 6 of which are those elusive Molten Front rares :P
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Dethtiliac keeps her name
Skarr keeps his name
Karkin keeps its name
Terrorpene keeps his name

These are the pets ive tamed on Tårnfalk back in time and who kept their names. Long time ago though so better double check

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Tårnfalk wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:24 am Dethtiliac keeps her name
Skarr keeps his name
Karkin keeps its name
Terrorpene keeps his name

These are the pets ive tamed on Tårnfalk back in time and who kept their names. Long time ago though so better double check
Thanks :) I've personally double-checked Skarr tonight, and someone else on Twitter mentioned Karkin. At this point it's probably safe to assume that entire group keeps their names.