Newly Tamed pet(s) don't have family abilities

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Boondoggle

Newly Tamed pet(s) don't have family abilities

Unread post by Boondoggle »

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I just created a Vulpera Hunter (started at level 10) and when I tamed a Scorpid I don't
see the Deadly Sting ability in the Pet spellbook. Similarly I tamed a Turtle and don't see the Shell Shield ability there (I do see the
Tenacity specific "Survival of the Fittest" skill and can add it to the pet toolbar, just not the family specific tool.

Is there a level unlock I'm not aware of or something that I need to to do enable learning the family skills?

Thanks,
Boondoggle
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: Newly Tamed pet(s) don't have family abilities

Unread post by Xota »

Level 14 it looks like.
Boondoggle

I just dinged 14 and tamed another turtle, still didn't work. But I was looking through later spells in the Hunter spellbook and I see "Command Pet" shows up at level 22. Does
anyone know if that's the spell that allows use of the family abilities?
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

No, command pet is for the spec ability. I'm not sure why you haven't got turtle's shield yet. I suspect it might be bugged, because I have a level 19 hunter with a wolf and a bird of prey. They both should have a snare ability, but only the wolf has one. Also a beetle (which has the same family ability as the beetle) and it doesn't have its family ability. But it does have its spec ability, which I can cast directly without using "command pet" (which I don't know yet).
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I checked a couple of my low level hunters. The level 13 didn't have any family abilities on her pets, but the level 20 did.
Boondoggle

Okay, thanks, I'll get to 20 and see if my pets have their family abilities then before filing a bug report.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I remember back then on wow, pets don’t earn their abilities until level 20, since the level squish just entered wow, they should get their ability at level 10
Boondoggle

Apparently they didn't change the level with the squish. I just dinged 20 and my current pet got the family ability when I leveled. Thanks for the
help everyone!
johnnebby

Unread post by johnnebby »

If I'm not mistaken, you have to get to either level 20 or level 21 in order to have access to family abilities. To be honest, I genuinely think that not earning family abilities until level 20-21 is a bit silly. If it were up to me, I'd say they should get them at around level 10-11. Anyway, has anyone here actually got a real pet? I've got two dogs, a cat, and a parrot myself, and I love them all to death. By the way, for pet owners, here's a super nice website https://cutepetcare.com/ with a lot of helpful information on pet care. You should check it out.