how to tame Rajani War Serpent+ IVORY SERPENT!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

how to tame Rajani War Serpent+ IVORY SERPENT!

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

UPDATE!:
ok so a second unique skin has been discovered as tamable- the Ivory serpent. i will add a section for that one at the bottom of the post.

So as some of you already know, you can tame the thundering white serpents by using a special toy now. I recently got my War serpent and thought I would share what I learned. it is unclear as to whether this is something working as intended or something that will be fixed later on- so best to get one sooner rather than later. besides, it will be even harder to get once the xpack hits and everyone leaves bfa zones. these two skins are the only special skins this trick unlocks so far. (note that you can tame a few interesting ones, such as elusive quickhoof and a donkey skin that is otherwise tricky to get- but those have other models to tame from)

If you don't know what im talking about, these friendly War serpents are your target.

Now obviously, these guys are friendly to everyone. thats where the toy comes in. you need: N'lyeth, Sliver of N'Zoth ( https://www.wowhead.com/item=173951/nly ... r-of-nzoth ) it turns you hostile to everyone. So here is some important info on getting the blade!

Choosing a location.

first off, you will need to pick a location to do this in. There are some important things you should know before getting into this because location dose matter.
1: you may not need the toy to tame the serpents if you do this IN THE VALE. (note, it must be done in the invasion vision of the vale, not the past version.) the quest will give you a ONE TIME USE charge that will make you hostile. but if you mess it up, you have to start all over again. this method is not recomended.
2: if you get the quest for the dagger and then leave BFA content (or possibly if you hit a loading screen or you log out) it WILL REMOVE your ONE TIME USE buff and you cant get it back unless you start over. for this reason, i highly recommend just completing the quest for the toy instead of only going for the quest buff.
3: All of this pvp is going to eventually give you the "assasin" mark. this mark prevents you from using your flying mounts and marks you on the map to other players. you drop loot when you die so people will be looking for you. be ready.

because of all of these reasons, i recommend going for the toy in this location here. there are trivial crabs to stay in combat with and if you get attacked you can run into this cave and it should phase you away from your attacker.

getting the quest

1. there are lots of players in the "hunters pet" section of the secret finding discord that have been making groups for this. you might find help there.
2. Warmode MUST be turned on for any of this to work- including taming the serpent.
3: you gain the quest for this toy by killing ten enemy players. Honor kills are bugged right now, so you cant be in a group when you get the kill or it wont count. So on top of having to have an ally who can phase you to the same realm as the opposing faction volunteers, you need to juggle realms a bit. you will know that the kill counted if your chat says you received honor points.
4. since you cant get kills while in a group, it make this tricky to get cross realm help. you need to either tag your target, drop group, kill target & rejoin your group to stay on the same realm as your cross-faction helpers- or you need to anchor yourself to the realm by staying in combat with something that won't kill you. In the location recomended above, i would aggro a small crab and trap it to keep myself in combat after leaving the group. this usually worked.
5: if you die any any point in time, your kill count resets!
6: there is no cooldown for honor kills for the first part of this process. We had a healer rezzing our volunteers and we could immediately kill them again.

Getting the dagger
1: since this toy is account wide, you do not have to get it on your hunter. i recommend using whatever toon is most likely to survive a surprise attack.
2: if you die, log out, or leave BFA content (or possibly hit a loading screen? unconfirmed) the quest will be removed.
2: at this point you will probably be an assassin or close to becoming one. be ready to run.
3: you can only kill players of the same faction as you for the quest. no cross faction kills will count.
4: unlike with the cross faction kills, killing someone of your faction will give that player a 10 min debuff. killing them again while they still have this debuff will NOT count towards your quest.
5: the debuff will not drop when logged out. so have lots of alts ready and if not- you have a long wait ahead of you.

Rajani War Serpent Taming

the actual taming of the serpents is quite easy- just walk over to them, use the toy and tame away. i would recommend making sure no one is nearby when you do it though, since the buff is removed if you die and it has an hour cd. i would target them from the bottom of the small hill they are on to avoid enemy npcs.

(NEW!)

Ok, so it looks like people discovered how to tame the Ivory Cloud Serpent using the same trick as above. I did not think it could be reached, but i was wrong. this one is much, much harder to get, however. if you are on a server with a fair population you will need some help from a dead realm.

Ivory Serpent taming:

things of note:
1: Warmode MUST be ON
2: Sliver must be activated. (i recommend waiting until it spawns and is near the gate to use this to prevent ganking)
3: the serpent moves FAST. you need to run ahead of it as soon as it spawns and get in position. You can attack it once you use the toy, causing it to stop flying around and come to you if your trap misses
4: Still in testing but it looks like players can still lasso it for the mount and you can tame it before it despawns but you have to get the timing just right and everyone has to be willing to work with you.
5: while possible in theory, dismounting, using the sliver and then tagging the serpent on the way down so it follows you might work but it would be very, very hard to do since he moves so fast. best to wait until he flies over the gate.

So, here is how it works. The Ivory serpent is on a 2-3h spawn timer and it spawns waaayyyy up in the sky. This friendly npc will likely be camped on most servers since players can lasso it for a mount. If it gets lassoed it despawns in 10 seconds. If its not lassoed, it will continue to path up towards the big gate where you can land on the roof and tame it after using the sliver. This bugger is fast and flies in a loop so you need to camp his spawn point with a macro that lets you know when he appears, then you need to race to your taming location. In order to avoid pvpers with nets and the annoying worm debuff, you want to camp around this location at about this height. if you get the debuff, fly a little higher. it should be noted that he will be spawning below you if you are camping at this height, but he will still be quite a ways off the ground.

Here is the macro i used to search for him. i bound it to my mouse wheel and it would play a sound when it targeted him. since he is a friendly npc, silver dragon/npc scan don't usually detect him unless you add his ID- and even then you may have to mouse over him for detection. so get ready to spam the macro for a few hours.

/cleartarget
/tar Ivory Cloud Serpent
/cleartarget [dead]
/stopmacro [dead][noexists]
/tm 6
/run PlaySound(SOUNDKIT.RAID_WARNING)

once you see him, race to the location pictured below. note the map location, arrow direction and coords in this picture. you do not want to set your traps up on the wrong side of the gate or you will miss him. lay your trap along the spine of the roof, around where I am standing.

after landing here, use your toy and he will become neutral but will still be racing by at crazy speeds, so make sure you trap or shoot him, then tame away!
Last edited by SylviaDragon on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Re: Rajani War Serpent/Sliver of n'zoth

Unread post by Darknez »

Thanks for the notice on this - forced me to do some PvP but I now have a pair of "hopefully" rare white cloud serpents :)
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Rajani War Serpent/Sliver of n'zoth

grats on the tame. :) gotta love those sneaky pet hunts.

Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Re: how to tame Rajani War Serpent + Sliver of n'zoth

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

This is a bit of a mini rant about this whole situation.

WHY WHY WHY. WHY do I need to do PvP to tame a hunter pet? This is probably the hardest hunter pet to get ever now!

Louqe/King Krush/Atona is hard because of camping and competition. The challenge tames are hard because there challenge tames. THIS!? Is a whole new level of pain for a hunter pet.

I hope they add new mobs so nobody has to do this just to get a sparkly white sparky Chinese snake or a pink one even! (Cause yes ivory cloud serpent is tamable the same way as well.)

Sorry for the rant but this feels like a joke.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Because it is an unplanned tameable pet. A clever use of game mechanics. You don't HAVE to pvp, the guide at the top describes how to do it without pvp.

Incidentally, you can be in a group, just not a raid (for the second part at least). I got all my kills (both parts) in groups.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah it's important to remember none of these tames involving the toy were planned or intentional, we don't even know if they'll stay like this. I understand being upset if you want one and don't feel you're able to get it at the moment, but it wasn't designed this way. It's just a fluke, a loophole that happens to work.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Today, I luckily found a group with a hunter and someone who had ny’leth, the person who held it made the serpents go against him, but they were still friendly, and it’s cuz we don’t have the toy, it’s really tough to find players to kill, hopefully we can all create our own groups or add each other as BNet friends, cuz we can tame and help each other, and my best idea for getting wanted serpent looks is by making a cloud serpent version of freckles somewhere like on windward isle or townlong or where ever who has most of the thundering & non-thundering looks so we don’t have to be bummed about not having our favorite colors, I am bummed there’s no tameable green noodle
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

I felt the urgency in taming them before Blizzard potentially fixes it (similar to the ghost croc/hydra/ooze of Shalazar) meant that the pain of PvP was worth it.
There are plenty of groups doing the 25 kills type quests. I had no issue getting "kills" counted in groups, but don't do raid for any of this.

Getting 10 kills of the opposite faction is straight forward, getting 10 of your own faction (whilst not being able to fly, and being a target of the opposing faction too) is less so.
However, check out Mardivas's Laboratory in Nazjatar. It's the only phased area I'm aware of that works for this. If you have enough friends or alternative account characters you can do this part yourself.
Bonus tip: Holy Priests don't always get the 10 minute debuff because of Spirit of Redemption making this much quicker, or even possible if you don't have alts/friends.

More info here: - https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=141 ... h#comments (and obviously covered in the original post :))

There are communities in WoW that formed for this achievement, you might get lucky there or in group finder - or in another community (Discord for example).
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

I just got these as well today and plan to nab the non thundering ivory serpent as well with the same way of taming. If we get to keep them awesome, if not, it was fun while it lasted lol. I do hope we get to keep them though, like those with the slimes and original spirit wolves.
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: UPDATE! how to tame Rajani War Serpent+ IVORY SERPENT!

updated the original post with info on taming the Ivory serpent. would have done it sooner if the lil bugger would have cooperated last night. :P

Carnage350
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Carnage350 »

Thanks for the great tip! Had to hunt down horde with friends. Luckily i had friends willing to sacrifice alts for the 10 kills in the service of NZoth. It was sad but fun.

As for the War Serpent, i leaped on the lower edge behind them in the Vale. Laid down ice and activated the Sliver. Worked like a charm! I get alot of tells on my new baby.
Darknez

Unread post by Darknez »

I went with some names similar to that of Huolon for my pair.
Roughly translated (via the power of Google) Huolong means Fire Drake.

So I went for Yunlon (Cloud Dragon) and Tiankonglon (Sky Dragon).
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Hi, since I can’t find fellow players, are any petopians down to help me get blade, text me on my Btag Diablo15#1972, I would be happy to get the help to get my rajani warserpent, thx
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I would recommend you talk to the Hunters pet section of the secret finding discord, or join the Rosepetal Ranch group in wow social if you are looking for help with this. i know they were setting up group events last week.

Mcsqueez
Realm: Rexxar

Unread post by Mcsqueez »

I don't have the toy, so I was wondering of anyone would like to help a hunter out. If we are in a party and you use your sliver, we're still party members right? Can they misdirect it to me? Or tricks? Does that work? I tried killing a friend 10 times in zuldazar but nothing happened and there's hardly anyone there anymore! So I probably lost my chance at the toy
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Mcsqueez wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 pm I don't have the toy, so I was wondering of anyone would like to help a hunter out. If we are in a party and you use your sliver, we're still party members right? Can they misdirect it to me? Or tricks? Does that work? I tried killing a friend 10 times in zuldazar but nothing happened and there's hardly anyone there anymore! So I probably lost my chance at the toy
As of right now the quest is bugged, I once joined a group with someone who had a friend that had the sliver, we tried it and it only worked on the person who had it, so unfortunately that’s a method that doesn’t work, as a hunter who has both serpents (check my armory if you think I’m lying), once the n’lyeth quest gets fixed, join the rosepetal ranch discord, they help people once a week to get the sliver and they helped me, so yeah, I know you’ll get your serpents once it’s fixed :)
Mcsqueez

SylviaDragon wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:18 pm I would recommend you talk to the Hunters pet section of the secret finding discord, or join the Rosepetal Ranch group in wow social if you are looking for help with this. i know they were setting up group events last week.
Do I just search rosepetal ranch?
Mcsqueez

worgpower wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:36 pm
Mcsqueez wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:32 pm I don't have the toy, so I was wondering of anyone would like to help a hunter out. If we are in a party and you use your sliver, we're still party members right? Can they misdirect it to me? Or tricks? Does that work? I tried killing a friend 10 times in zuldazar but nothing happened and there's hardly anyone there anymore! So I probably lost my chance at the toy
As of right now the quest is bugged, I once joined a group with someone who had a friend that had the sliver, we tried it and it only worked on the person who had it, so unfortunately that’s a method that doesn’t work, as a hunter who has both serpents (check my armory if you think I’m lying), once the n’lyeth quest gets fixed, join the rosepetal ranch discord, they help people once a week to get the sliver and they helped me, so yeah, I know you’ll get your serpents once it’s fixed :)

Oh that was quite a fast response. Ok I will try and join that group when I get ho,home, then. Thanks a mil
Mcsqueez

ah crud, I am horde. is there an invite link or a horde one?
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Mcsqueez wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:47 pm ah crud, I am horde. is there an invite link or a horde one?
Those discords are both factions, so they help both factions