Eyes of the Best - Flying pets who can scout from the air?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Facetious Gerbil
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Eyes of the Best - Flying pets who can scout from the air?

Unread post by Facetious Gerbil »

Folks have mentioned scouting as being a real utility via Eyes of the Beast. And I can confirm, it is incredibly useful: You can go much further from your character than you used to be, far beyond where you can even see yourself anymore. You can literally keep running forward and it won't despawn you until the channel ends. You can even attack and use the pet's abilities while running around as said pet, though it's not exactly great - the attacking and targeting is sometimes really weird or just not working well.

However, flying pets...can't fly. Why not? It would be amazing, actual utility-wise and flavor-wise if your flying pets could scout from the air. I assume the pets would need to be pacified while doing this aerial reconnaissance, but that's hardly a loss with how the combat works anyway.

Imagine being able to scan far and wide while hiding yourself so your pet can spy enemy players. Hunters would have an amazing niche, an ability even more useful than Eagle Eye, with so much more utility.

Pair this with having flying pets not despawn when you take off...and, well, I don't know about you, but I'd be ecstatic.

What are the pros and cons that you can see? What problems? Ways it could be implemented or improved?
Facetious Gerbil
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Eyes of the Best - Flying pets who can scout from the air?

Unread post by Facetious Gerbil »

(Also, yes, I literally joined to ask this question :'D)

Another point - being able to scout ahead in pvp without getting netted and mobbed and thus keeping yourself actually useful to your party, haha.

Pets despawn if you run too far from yourself, once the spell ends. So even ground pets are pretty helpful in scouting in that if they despawn, they don't drag a million mobs back to you or lead enemy players to your body. Paired with their instant summons, pets can have a supremely powerful niche if folks wanted to make use of it for, say, battle grounds. Imagine sending your cat, stealthed, into a flag room to see if you're gonna get jumped? Low risk to you, seeing as if your pet gets jumped, you're still alive.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I'd be for it too, along with eye of kilrogg (its been able to fly in the past). They may be concerned with using it to get around invisible walls, etc, if you have someone with you who can port to a friendly unit's position.

I would add emotes to eyes of the beast. /sit /lay /stand /sleep /dance /cower /roar
Xcreeping
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Xcreeping »

Never thought of this and think it would be cool, id prob actually use it then.

I see eyes of the beast as useless atm, 99% of players will use it once and never again and the other 1% will be doing weird shit in goldshire with it.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I love the idea of this!
Xcreeping
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Xcreeping »

I just posted about it in the Shadowlands beta Hunter feedback section.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Before SL, I had 2 pets that could fly as a main pet, a icewing rylak from frostfire ridge, and irewing, in SL they got hotfixed along with flying AC pets, I was slightly heartbroken when my rylak got hotfixed, it was the only reason I tamed it, and I was hoping to use a flying Eyes of the beast, but hopefully Blizz can implement these ideas