Dragonflight General Pet & Beast Discussion

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks! :) That means we're down to just one on my flagged list that hasn't been checked (Nal'taszar). As you say, it likely won't retain its name, but we have to be sure.

There are currently 45 creatures on the suggestions list for retaining their names:

https://www.wow-petopia.com/tamenamesuggest.php

Please let me know if anyone can think of any I may have missed, that are tameable and probably should retain their names.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Well, ALL pets should retain their name instead of defaulting to whatever pet class they're attributed to, but good ideas are often overlooked :p. I'll keep sitting where Nal spawns in the hopes that it's soon. Took me a while to get out here, and I ain't leaving without checking. Old world flying is so painfully slow now.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Well I'll be. This one actually kept its name. Time for me to inhale some copium and see if others got hotfixed with the daily reset. (Probably not)

EDIT: Yep, the few that are available still don't retain their names. I expected that, but man I was hopeful.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_121122_100737.jpg
WoWScrnShot_121122_100737.jpg (245.5 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I forgot to post this with my initial happiness. Lesser Dragonkin are a quest reward, not a vendor purchase. At least as far as I can tell, since I learned the book right away. It could be in the vendor if you didn't learn it (why WOULDN'T you learn it right away?!)
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-12-10_170840.png
Screenshot_2022-12-10_170840.png (281.8 KiB) Viewed 3449 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:08 am Well I'll be. This one actually kept its name. Time for me to inhale some copium and see if others got hotfixed with the daily reset. (Probably not)

EDIT: Yep, the few that are available still don't retain their names. I expected that, but man I was hopeful.
That’s good, I’m sorry you went through a lot to tame deviate faerie dragon for it to not retain its name, I want to tame Shan’ala with the name
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:08 am Well I'll be. This one actually kept its name. Time for me to inhale some copium and see if others got hotfixed with the daily reset. (Probably not)

Thanks heaps! :) I've added that one, at least.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:46 am I forgot to post this with my initial happiness. Lesser Dragonkin are a quest reward, not a vendor purchase. At least as far as I can tell, since I learned the book right away. It could be in the vendor if you didn't learn it (why WOULDN'T you learn it right away?!)
Awesome, I've changed the wording to "awarded by" rather than "sold by". Is the quest auto-bestowed upon you when you reach that renown? Or does an NPC offer it?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

It's simply available from the stablemaster when you return to Valdrakken when you reach that renown. Unlike other quests that are available when you reach certain renown milestones, this one wasn't visible when viewing the map; I only knew it was there when I went to the stablemaster and saw the gold mark over its head.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I’m so close, I just farmed 100 keys, leveled from 17 to 19, and then did renown questline, which sent me to 20, so 3 levels to go for me
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Hang in there. Tuesday reset's coming super soon, so that's a heaping helping of non-key rep.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I’ll complete every world quest since I have a contract, and I will farm more keys for renown gap, hopefully it’ll push me to 22 tomorrow
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:49 am It's simply available from the stablemaster when you return to Valdrakken when you reach that renown. Unlike other quests that are available when you reach certain renown milestones, this one wasn't visible when viewing the map; I only knew it was there when I went to the stablemaster and saw the gold mark over its head.
Awesome, thanks! :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Hey all, just an FYI. I just spawned the white butterfly moth rare Lepidoralia the Resplendent. It showed level 71 but still let me tame it, however it did not retain its name unfortunately.

Didn't see this on Lepidoralia's entry on the website, and my search on the forum came up empty. EDIT: Oops found where WerebearGuy mentioned this a week ago. Guess my first search wasn't thorough enough!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

It's okay, I'm easy to forget :p
Joke aside, it's a shame that named mobs still don't keep their name. This system was put in place during BfA, and worked out of the box in Shadowlands, yet somehow it's not working in Dragonflight. Hopefully, with this extended maintenance, name retention and common sense tame options get adjusted (for example the Thickmane Bears n Azure Span that CAN'T be tamed despite the Thickmane Matriarch being tameable). Huge dose of hopium, but here's hoping this is also our proper taming pass.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

FINALLY ITS DONE, theyre all tiny, very funny yet unexpected
WoWScrnShot_121322_205723.jpg
WoWScrnShot_121322_205723.jpg (332.65 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
WoWScrnShot_121322_205858.jpg
WoWScrnShot_121322_205858.jpg (328.79 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
WoWScrnShot_121322_205913.jpg
WoWScrnShot_121322_205913.jpg (324.79 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
WoWScrnShot_121322_205924.jpg
WoWScrnShot_121322_205924.jpg (328.99 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
WoWScrnShot_121322_210052.jpg
WoWScrnShot_121322_210052.jpg (328.23 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
WoWScrnShot_121322_210107.jpg
WoWScrnShot_121322_210107.jpg (326.97 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Werebear, i misread your post the other day, Mend pet doesn’t work on lesser dragonkin, except cloud serpents of course
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:47 am Hey all, just an FYI. I just spawned the white butterfly moth rare Lepidoralia the Resplendent. It showed level 71 but still let me tame it, however it did not retain its name unfortunately.

Didn't see this on Lepidoralia's entry on the website, and my search on the forum came up empty. EDIT: Oops found where WerebearGuy mentioned this a week ago. Guess my first search wasn't thorough enough!
Petopia only notes the ones that do retain their names :)

It's on the suggestion list, though: https://www.wow-petopia.com/tamenamesuggest.php

Unfortunately, not a whole lot of Dragonflight tames were flagged for name retention.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

A day has gone by since I learned how to tame lesser dragonkin, I have a few bugs/critical points here
- most of the dragons are super tiny and need a size buff, especially Veilwings
- mend pet doesn’t work on them since they’re classed as dragonkin
-veilwings use a eating animation for attacking rather than attackunarmed, and that makes me unhappy
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I've found that most dragonkin (excluding veilwings) have been rather generous in size. Hornswogs are pleasantly plump, vorquin are neither tiny nor too big (and for some reason are stags instead of lesser dragonkin), faerie dragons are perfectly small, and of course cloud serpents are fine the way they are. Veilwings have an issue with their size; they have to be small, or else they'd be more obstructing than clefthooves and kodos. They have SIGNIFICANTLY more volume and length, so having them any larger than what Bestial Wrath, Kibbler's Bits, and Big Red Raygun already cause would just make them too big. Also, I'm not sure what you mean with the veilwing animation. I've seen it swipe its claws as well as do the bite. It's got all of the animations a dragon would normally use in grounded melee combat, excluding tail attacks.

The mend pet bug was fully expected since we didn't get any means to test them to make sure they worked, but it's funny that it's still an issue. In raids and m+ content it doesn't matter thankfully, but they're trophy pets outside of real content otherwise.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:33 am I've found that most dragonkin (excluding veilwings) have been rather generous in size. Hornswogs are pleasantly plump, vorquin are neither tiny nor too big (and for some reason are stags instead of lesser dragonkin), faerie dragons are perfectly small, and of course cloud serpents are fine the way they are. Veilwings have an issue with their size; they have to be small, or else they'd be more obstructing than clefthooves and kodos. They have SIGNIFICANTLY more volume and length, so having them any larger than what Bestial Wrath, Kibbler's Bits, and Big Red Raygun already cause would just make them too big. Also, I'm not sure what you mean with the veilwing animation. I've seen it swipe its claws as well as do the bite. It's got all of the animations a dragon would normally use in grounded melee combat, excluding tail attacks.

The mend pet bug was fully expected since we didn't get any means to test them to make sure they worked, but it's funny that it's still an issue. In raids and m+ content it doesn't matter thankfully, but they're trophy pets outside of real content otherwise.
I agree, vorquins are the only ones who has good size, hornswogs are slightly smaller than average toads, fey darters are good the way they are, and veilwings do need a tiny bit of a size increase, they’re ground attack animation is specialunarmed which is a bite and then a side to side eating animation, maybe it’s just one particular Veilwing, I’ll probably test on more veilwings
Edit-tested, they do the same thing, they use the proper attack animation when used on critters, but when attacking mobs that don’t require one hit, then eating
Edit 2-hornswogs and toads are the same size, I’m just saying things again