Valdrakken Rep Guide - Dragonkin Taming

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Valdrakken Rep Guide - Dragonkin Taming

Unread post by Dialga »

With the DMF upon us once again, I figured I'd put out a guide on how to most efficiently/speedily grind your way to Valdrakken 23 for the How to Tame a Dragonkin book. You must have Reknown 23 on a hunter in order to obtain this book as a reward for hitting 23, however, there is a way to sort of 'cheese' your way to 23 on an alt that we go into below.

It's also worth noting that you are only technically grinding 21 levels of Reknown from scratch. At Reknown 12 and 19, you are given questlines that end with an item that gives you 2500 rep each time, giving you two Reknown levels 'for free'.

Buffs

Always have your DMF buff on, if possible, when doing a turn-in. You'll be surprised how much of a difference that 10% reputation buff makes over time.

Contracts

When doing WQ's, make sure you have a Contract: Valdrakken Accord rolling. The gold tier gives 15 rep per WQ, the silver 12, the bronze 10.

Turn-ins

While oddly more difficult to get than the Centaur or Dragonscale turn-ins, Titan Relics will also give you 15 rep per turn-in.

Daily Quests

Most WQ's reset Tue/Fri, but there are 3 WQ's that reset daily that always give Valdrakken rep. They are two PVP WQ's only in War Mode (usually between 100-200 rep a pop) and the Battle Pet Daily WQ, that gives 25.

Daily Rares

The following Super Rares can be killed once per day for 50 Valdrakken rep each.

Rohzor Forgesmash
Turboris
Battlehorn Pyrhus
Cauldronbearer Blakor
Char
Captain Lancer
Death's Shadow
Shas'ith

One-time Valdrakken Reputation Rares

The following rares drop a 50 Valdrakken rep commendation, but will only drop it once, ever, on the first kill. Not every rare is up at the same time, so check on resets to see if ones you're missing have spawned.

Henlare
Lord Epochbrgl
Private Shikzar
Lookout Mordren
Liskron the Dazzling
Innumerable Ruination
Razk'vex the Untamed
Ripsaw the Stalker
Scaleseeker Mezeri
Shade of Grief
Territorial Coastling
Biryuk
Sparkspitter Vrak
Ty'foon the Ascended
Prozela Galeshot
Dragonhunter Gorund
Wilrive
Trilvarus Loreweaver
Arcane Devourer
Cascade
Groth
Snee
Voll
Lepidoralia the Resplendent
Gushgut the Beaksinker
Nulltheria the Void Gazer
Terillod the Devout

Non-repeatable Weekly Quests

Two questlines award Valdrakken rep that can only be advanced week by week. One involves finding a new duck each week and bringing it to safety, the other involves two Dragonmaw orcs repenting at the Ruby Life Pools. It's a good idea to do each quest once a week for a free rep bump until the questlines are finished.

Weekly Quests

1) Therazal will always give you some form of a weekly quest that gives you 500 reputation with the Valdrakken Accord every week.

2) Theldren and Kemora give one weekly dungeon quest each for 250 Valdrakken rep per if chosen as a commendation.

3) Completing the week's first To Dragonbane Keep! awards a Dragonbane Keep Strongbox that awards 250 Valdrakken rep from a guaranteed Valdrakken commendation found inside.

4) Malicia offers Weekly Quests that give 250 Valdrakken rep each if chosen as a commendation.

5) If Sparks of Life: Thaldraszus is active during the given week, it will also award 250 Valdrakken Rep.

6) During the WQ Bonus Week, Kazra will offer The World Awaits which gives 2500 rep, a full Reknown Level, with the DF faction of your choice (Valdrakken, in this case).

Obsidian Citadel (Wrathion and Sabellian)

1) Allegiance to One awards 40 Valdrakken Rep, and opens up the rest of the Weekly Quests for each respective leader.

2) You will receive a handful of quests per week; complete them to receive 150 Valdrakken Reputation per quest.

3) The first Keys of Loyalty quest completed per week will give you 100 Valdrakken Rep. All subsequent key turn-ins to Wrathion/Sabellian/Forgemaster Bazentus, while infinitely repeatable, will only award 50 reputation per key.
* DO NOT turn in your keys to Igys the Believer. She awards no reputation, and her Super Rare summon Morchok gives Dragonscale Expedition reputation for some reason.

4) Each completion of To Dragonbane Keep! as an event will award 50 reputation, and occurs every two hours, allowing you to farm this multiple times a day. The Super Rare Captain Lancer will spawn outside as soon as the Keep is completed, so you can combine this as a daily activity to get 100 reputation in total.

Non-Repeatable Valdrakken Reputation Quests

This is a list of every possible quest that gives Valdrakken Reputation. I recommend going through and seeing if there are any quest crumbs/chains you have missed, and running the flags in-game to see if you have completed a quest if you are not sure.

The 'Alt Cheese' Method

Something that many players (myself included) undervalued is the Word of a Worthy Ally 100/200% reputation gain buff applied to your alts upon reaching 10 and 20 Reknown level on any one character. If you have, say, your main as a Warrior at Reknown 20+ and a hunter that hasn't even touch DF content yet, you are effectively guaranteed to be pushed up to and past 23 Reknown, likely without even touching a single WQ. Allow me to explain in an example.

Say you need 1000 reputation, and there are 10 quests available. Each quest awards 100 reputation each. Your warrior would need to complete 10 quests, hitting that mark. But, he's out of quests. Now, to earn more reputation, he must grind keys and WQ's in order to advance.

Your alt also needs 1000 reputation, and there are 10 quests available. But, your alt has a 100% reputation gain buff. So, your alt only has to do FIVE quests, and is now at 1000 reputation. The buff stops working at the 1000 reputation point, BUT, your alt has FIVE QUESTS LEFT. This means your alt, when finished with those quests, is now sitting at 1500 rep, for the same amount of work that your Warrior put in.

The Word of a Worthy Ally buff allows you to accomplish more while 'using' less quests, giving you more reputation and leaving you with more quests still available after the reputation bonus stops working to push up your reputations. You will gain so much reputation, especially at 20+, that you will be hitting 23+ before you have exhausted all your non-repeatable Valdrakken questlines. Which is much, much, much preferable to grinding keys and timegated WQ's.

This method is best done with a Reknown 20+ main providing the Ally buff to your fresh 60 hunter that has yet to touch DF content. In some cases, if your hunter has already progressed into DF prior to your 'account' obtaining this buff for alts, it will be faster to powerlevel an Allied Race (starts at Level 10) hunter and progress into DF with a clean, 200% rep buff slate and all quests still available. The Dragonkin taming is an account-wide unlock, so it doesn't matter which of your hunters obtains the book.

The End

I'm more than happy to add to this if anyone comes up with other methods; anyone who can name and shame 'normal' rares that drop Valdrakken rep as well is appreciated, as the only one I've found is Henflare so far. Let me know what you think and happy hunting.
Last edited by Dialga on Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:55 am, edited 12 times in total.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Valdrakken Rep Guide - Dragonkin Taming

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

thank you for this! I don't have as much time for wow as I used to and just reached level 70 last week, so perfect timing for this guide.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Guide is amazing, I really cheesed it by farming 100 obsidian keys in one day, it was torture, that was 2 renown levels, then a questline raised me to 20, then I reached 23 the next day on reset, if there’s not much left to do, go the key farming method, definitely take breaks during key farming
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I too was a mad key farmer, but for those who don't mind taking it slower, this guide is absolutely well written and covers all the bases currently available. While I don't expect anything additional to appear with major content patches, I do hope there are some catchup rep items for people who start later.
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

Farming Valdrakken Accord's renown all the way up to 23 in a short amount of time is a good way to meet madness, but if you know how and what to grind it's kinda manageable. Great guide, tho.
erictks1
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hydraxis

Unread post by erictks1 »

anyone check with the Proto drake , stone drake, bone drake and others ,did blizzard missed out something and make them tamable 🤣🤣
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

erictks1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:06 pm anyone check with the Proto drake , stone drake, bone drake and others ,did blizzard missed out something and make them tamable 🤣🤣
Database-wise, there's no proto-drake listed as tamable. Yet, sometimes, NPCs are tamable but will NOT shown such info in the tooltip. That happens mostly with very glitchy and unintented tames, but it happened in the past so it could be possible that, somewhere, one or more could be on live now.
erictks1
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hydraxis

Unread post by erictks1 »

Too bad we can’t beast lore dragon, only can one by one check with tame beast
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

erictks1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:22 am Too bad we can’t beast lore dragon, only can one by one check with tame beast
Yeah...its kinda annoying but I think Blizzard will implement it, later.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

After a lot of effort, I have reached level 23 of reputation with Valdrakken with my main character (it is a paladin that I use to raid), and I have completed the tabard quest... and when I went to the book on taming dragons... I have seen that this progress is not linked to the account...

I don't understand anything... otters if he is linked, why not?

I am completely devastated.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Tsukina wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:15 am After a lot of effort, I have reached level 23 of reputation with Valdrakken with my main character (it is a paladin that I use to raid), and I have completed the tabard quest... and when I went to the book on taming dragons... I have seen that this progress is not linked to the account...

I don't understand anything... otters if he is linked, why not?

I am completely devastated.
I'm sorry you went through all that - while I agree it'd be nice to have the book be given to any character, I sort of see the precedent with other taming books only dropping for hunters (iirc?)

The good news is that since you hit 20+ on your main, a day of hitting 70 through the campaign and doing some crumb quests on a fresh 60 hunter should push you to 23 with the Reknown buff.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

While it sucks not to get it on non hunters, the alt renown leveling is miles faster once your reach past 20, definitely do weeklies, any random quest from any npc that rewards valdrakken rep, questlines which reward 1 renown, maybe more on the faster xp rate, and if there’s nothing else to do, farm some obsidian keys, but don’t go overboard like I did, which farmed 100 keys = 2 renown levels without buffs
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Wanted to add a tip for an addon, if you use them. BTWQuests with its BTWQuests-Dragonflight addition.

Shows you all the quest chains that you may have missed so if you are looking around for the 50-150 Valk rep quests-its a bit easier to dig through that addon to see what you need to do to pick up those small rep quests.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Tsukina »

After a lot of effort and after recovering from the disappointment of seeing that my main raider climb was in vain, and thanks to the guide (thank you very much Dialga).

My space goat has 2 pets that look good on her (although I'm hardly going to take them out... I don't want them to report and take them away).

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

I am finally able to log in game and am glad to see the foals are still tamable right now my main who is a hunter is level 21 but with so many things to do like WQs and the aiding accord plus the two dungeons should hit 23 today.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Last night was the night it finally happened the stars were aligned the gods/goddesses were present and I hit 23 later than I had wanted but thankfully these little guys are still tamable and I hope they remain this way for those who are still working to get to 23.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Tsukina »

Congratulations, I know how hard it is.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Congrats, the work is hard but it pays off very well for hunters, for other classes, level 23 is nothing but a tabard, since I grinded around the beginning of the xpac, it was harder to find a source for valdrakken rep, I say taking your time and doing weekly’s are the way to go, I used to be one of those rare players that had lesser dragonkin taming, but now I see an abundance of hunters using fey darters and some hunters using a Veilwing or hornswog
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Tsukina wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:59 pm Congratulations, I know how hard it is.
worgpower wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:16 pm Congrats, the work is hard but it pays off very well for hunters, for other classes, level 23 is nothing but a tabard, since I grinded around the beginning of the xpac, it was harder to find a source for valdrakken rep, I say taking your time and doing weekly’s are the way to go, I used to be one of those rare players that had lesser dragonkin taming, but now I see an abundance of hunters using fey darters and some hunters using a Veilwing or hornswog
Thank you both there were times as I hit 21 then 22 where I ran out of things to do for rep since I don't do raids or mythics or pvp only quest and world quest but I did have the contract handy and this week was the DMF so made sure to grab the buff which really helped me but yet as I climbed higher and higher always had a feeling I was going to hit 23 and all for nothing these would've been fixed. So the moment I hit 23 first thing after learning the book went right to where they are located and saw two of them cause only two spawn at one time and with bated breath hit tame beast.

First one then the other all of a sudden ended up in my stable I was slowly relaxing by now because it is over I got mine and am hoping many more can share the love with these cute pets but because they are so rare they are remaining in my stable as I'm sure a lot of you are doing to avoid being reported and having them taken away which is why I also tamed two other dragonkins, Nal'taszar and Shan'ala, Lost to the Tangle, for when I want to use a dragon.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Congrats! I'm glad that you were able to get it.