Another Unexpected DF Tame!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Another Unexpected DF Tame!

Unread post by Ijomi »

So I ran out of Dragonriding juice, and landed on the nearest ledge to recharge.

Image My husband and I were discussing this poor guy's plight in the meantime, when the conversation turned to Dragonkin taming. I was explaining to him how the Vorquin babies were sadly not tameable, until--

--they were. :shock:

This is the Tundra Vorquin Foal. Yes, they do the cute little caper when idle! :D

No funny business required except a taming ability that's hidden behind 23 levels of rep. Can be tamed as low as level 58, right here.

:) Happy hunting!

And yes, I did rescue the poor guy under the snow, lmao. :lol:

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Another Unexpected DF Tame!

Unread post by Vesania »

Was nice while it lasted, I expect a fix from Blizzard in like...2-3 days, a week maximum. Since we are here: they have a weird scale too, other players see them smaller than how you see them.
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

I didn't expect this "discussion" to be dragged out from the "secrets" discord, but I see no point in not sharing a pet for others to enjoy however long. It's a fair tame, like the mammoth calves, and we still have those. I would have loved a duckling, but turns out I wasn't part of the exclusive club that was permitted to know about them. :roll:

Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Mhm. Found this at the start of the expansion along with a friend - kept quiet since I figured the longer the silence on them lasted, the more time people would have to be able to hit 23 in the meantime and be able to tame when it did become public.

Unfortunately it's a harsh grind - did mine in about a week at full throttle - so here's hoping everyone who wants one has hit it as I imagine they'll be taken off the taming table quickly now.

If you are close/trying to hurry now that this is out, I recommend checking out my thread on Valdrakken rep to try and push you over the top before it's too late.

babby.png
babby.png (412.76 KiB) Viewed 6188 times
Fangzzs
Realm: sargeras-US

Unread post by Fangzzs »

Great find! Its animations are really great too! Lets keep it cool. Enjoy anything that comes up :). But yeah the grind for dragon taming is brutal. Good luck to anyone whos almost there, you can do it!
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

ah thank you for sharing! I speed grinded my dragon rep for this exact scenario. I suspected someone may find a baby Vorquin somewhere that had been flagged. Ran and grabbed them as soon as i saw the post. They sure do have the zoomies!

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

SylviaDragon wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:35 am ah thank you for sharing! I speed grinded my dragon rep for this exact scenario. I suspected someone may find a baby Vorquin somewhere that had been flagged. Ran and grabbed them as soon as i saw the post. They sure do have the zoomies!
I wish I could post videos on here - the walk animation is so dainty and prim, but if you watch the legs on the run, it actually extends like stretchy putty :lol: Suuuper cute
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Ijomi wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:15 am I didn't expect this "discussion" to be dragged out from the "secrets" discord, but I see no point in not sharing a pet for others to enjoy however long. It's a fair tame, like the mammoth calves, and we still have those. I would have loved a duckling, but turns out I wasn't part of the exclusive club that was permitted to know about them. :roll:
a big thank you for sharing! :D I can see why someone may want to keep it hush-hush long enough to give everyone a chance to get the rep for it, but hopefully people will have a fair shot now. the xpack has been out for a bit so i image most people have some decent dragon rep.I have been checking all the oddities i come across in hopes of finding some fun pets for the community- they certainly miscatigorized a lot of mobs this time around.
Last edited by SylviaDragon on Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

My hunters have three "retired" pets that were never taken away. All of them were target and tame, not being in an instance exclusive to another class or a humanoid, a puddle of fire, etc. There seems to be a running theme with what they let us keep, and what they take away.

In the other thread a player screenshotted your pet duckling, which out for the world to see in Dalaran. That's not exactly secretive, is it? It seems strange to keep something from other hunters until it's too late--and the ducks had no reputation grind, to boot. Days until hotfix that other hunters could have used to get one, but special membership apparently required. How exactly was I supposed to know it was a secret when only an exclusive few apparently knew about it the whole time? When was the "right" time to reveal it? And who decides who is allowed to know it?

A month of casual questing and getting the black drake scales, and my character was already 30 in Valdrakken. That didn't seem a problem, and for hunters the dragonkin tame was already a goal.

So, like on the "secret" Discord, conversation done.

Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I personally love unintended pets, even though I don't go after many unless it's something that really strikes my fancy. I can understand the tricky situation this creates though, especially for Wain perhaps, who has always kept up a good rapport with the devs. He communicates openly with them and it's only fair to mention discoveries like this, but as hunters of course we all want our chance to grab something fun before it's fixed as well.

I think at the end of the day there's not an ideal way to handle these things, we just have to respect the devs and what they're at liberty to let slide.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Yeah, I disagree with these sort of things being kept secret. I have a few such tames myself. It more seems like that rather than trying to give everyone a chance at such tames, it is more about limiting the amount of people that know about it so that just a handful have tamed the pet before it is fixed. For example, the Nokhud Gear was something that was known fairly early on and others could've been informed about it. Yes, it did eventually get fixed, but that was still a few days until that happened. Besides that, as seen with the Sliver in BfA, these things don't always get fixed. Maybe this could've been revealed to Petopia as a whole and, at best, it wouldn't have gotten fixed and we would have a new taming method. At worst, it was made known to Hunters for a few days. I do not support utilizing exploits in the game, but I also do not support the idea of just a few individuals knowing about particular pets.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Mhm! I kept quiet to give the maximum of time to people and figured I'd just leave it in the hands of fate, but I don't mind at all and am glad other Petopians will get a chance as these are Suuuuper cute pets. The fact they have not one but two idle animations - super cute, super sweet. They are very chatty though, so if you play with sounds on they will be squeaking their way through all your battles.

babby2.png
babby2.png (708.34 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

Ijomi wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:07 am So, like on the "secret" Discord, conversation done.

Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

In general, with Hunter tames, Blizz has either ignored it or fixed whatever made it possible. For the pets themselves they typically will just leave them alone or change them into something normal. I haven't ever heard of Blizz banning someone for using an exploit to tame a certain npc or for just taming an misflagged npc that doesn't require any tricks. Like I said, I have a few of such pets, like the Sha-corrupted pets from MoP to the Fire Elemental in SL, and I haven't ever been banned or heard of that happening to people.

It just seems to me that based off your initial response, "Was nice while it lasted", I question whether you or others ever intended to reveal it to anyone. If someone found it and posted about it, then so be it, but if no one ever discovers it or it is found by Blizz and fixed quietly, then that is great.
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

Valnaaros wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:50 am In general, with Hunter tames, Blizz has either ignored it or fixed whatever made it possible. For the pets themselves they typically will just leave them alone or change them into something normal. I haven't ever heard of Blizz banning someone for using an exploit to tame a certain npc or for just taming an misflagged npc that doesn't require any tricks. Like I said, I have a few of such pets, like the Sha-corrupted pets from MoP to the Fire Elemental in SL, and I haven't ever been banned or heard of that happening to people.

It just seems to me that based off your initial response, "Was nice while it lasted", I question whether you or others ever intended to reveal it to anyone. If someone found it and posted about it, then so be it, but if no one ever discovers it or it is found by Blizz and fixed quietly, then that is great.
The idea was to make others grind renown high enough to get it easily and then share. I'm not mad at the foal itself, it was a matter of time before it was shared by us or other hunters. I didn't enjoyed the other statement made against my group, because we don't have any "special membership" or whatever. We have a schedule, rules and we follow them; anything we find is first tested in various ways and then shared, no exceptions. We didn't expected Blizzard to fix it that fast, that's all. When I said "Was nice while it lasted" it was kinda a friendly way to say that I knew about it and Blizzard will probably soon release a fix, like other previous NPCs.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Vesania wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:57 am
Valnaaros wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:50 am In general, with Hunter tames, Blizz has either ignored it or fixed whatever made it possible. For the pets themselves they typically will just leave them alone or change them into something normal. I haven't ever heard of Blizz banning someone for using an exploit to tame a certain npc or for just taming an misflagged npc that doesn't require any tricks. Like I said, I have a few of such pets, like the Sha-corrupted pets from MoP to the Fire Elemental in SL, and I haven't ever been banned or heard of that happening to people.

The idea was to make others grind renown high enough to get it easily and then share. I'm not mad at the foal itself, it was a matter of time before it was shared by us or other hunters. I didn't enjoyed the other statement made against my group, because we don't have any "special membership" or whatever. We have a schedule, rules and we follow them; anything we find is first tested in various ways and then shared, no exceptions. We didn't expected Blizzard to fix it that fast, that's all. When I said "Was nice while it lasted" it was kinda a friendly way to say that I knew about it and Blizzard will probably soon release a fix, like other previous NPCs.
That may be, but according to what you said earlier, not everything is shared. "As I said elsewhere, the best ones are NEVER told in public places to avoid strikes from Blizzard on such things. I'm not the only one who prefer to avoid talking; you have no idea how many players keep exploits and alike for themselves, sharing them with people who can keep it quiet, but I can assure you that it's not just a few groups, mine included."
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

There's a lot of back and forth but I think a cessation soon would be best since a lot of hunters are probably waking up and eager to show off their new tame ^^;

Final thoughts from me: There was never going to be a "right" time to unveil the foal, since it's behind a rep grind that no 100% of the playerbase will ever have; even a few days ago when I posted my guide to try and help out with this pet in mind, the very first comment was a grateful fresh 70 who hadn't had time to play much and thus was nowhere near the goal. I'm only speaking personally for myself, as I discovered it independently through research, but I decided on the extremely likely presumption that someone was going to find it as more and more people hit the 23 goal, I wanted it to be organic with the rest of the playerbase's normal Reknown advancements. I didn't want someone to be upset with me that I'd posted it before they were even close to getting to 23, because I know I would have been upset if that was me. That doesn't mean it's bad it's posted now, far from it, and I'm glad others will enjoy it, it's just an impossible "winning" scenario without some hunters inevitably left out. There's never been such a gated pet like this, so it's a hard call to make.

No one is under any obligation to release a find they have to Petopia, and, no one should ever be mad at someone else for posting their own find, even if they overlap. If we all agree on that, I nominate we all pull back before Wain wakes up and has to put his foot down again.
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

Dialga wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:42 am There's a lot of back and forth but I think a cessation soon would be best since a lot of hunters are probably waking up and eager to show off their new tame ^^;

Final thoughts from me: There was never going to be a "right" time to unveil the foal, since it's behind a rep grind that no 100% of the playerbase will ever have; even a few days ago when I posted my guide to try and help out with this pet in mind, the very first comment was a grateful fresh 70 who hadn't had time to play much and thus was nowhere near the goal. I'm only speaking personally for myself, as I discovered it independently through research, but I decided on the extremely likely presumption that someone was going to find it as more and more people hit the 23 goal, I wanted it to be organic with the rest of the playerbase's normal Reknown advancements. I didn't want someone to be upset with me that I'd posted it before they were even close to getting to 23, because I know I would have been upset if that was me. That doesn't mean it's bad it's posted now, far from it, and I'm glad others will enjoy it, it's just an impossible "winning" scenario without some hunters inevitably left out. There's never been such a gated pet like this, so it's a hard call to make.

No one is under any obligation to release a find they have to Petopia, and, no one should ever be mad at someone else for posting their own find, even if they overlap. If we all agree on that, I nominate we all pull back before Wain wakes up and has to put his foot down again.
That was my point too; everyone is free to post something on Petopia or choose to keep it for themselves, being mad in both cases is just childish. It would be discovered soon or later, shared by someone or simply found out by many hunters. In any case, enjoy it while it lasts and if you have issue with the renown check the mentioned guide...it's a good one!~
Karasan
Realm: Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Karasan »

I've had mine a few weeks now, I shared it with a couple of hunters I'm close with but was hoping the beans wouldn't be spilled until at least they got it. With a pet that is locked behind a rep grind I figured the longer people had to find it on their own and make it public, the more people could get it overall once it was made public.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 5996 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I’m going to make a policy statement here:

If a tame is clearly not intended but it’s also harmless and not using an exploit, then you’re welcome to post about it here.

Our policy is that things that are unintended will get reported in good faith. Remember that we have a good and honest relationship with Blizzard’s game designers and they go out of their way to give us nice things and listen to our reports and suggestions. No other class gets this level of attention for cosmetics. No other is even close. In return, we are open with them about what we find.

If you wish to keep your finds secret, I can’t force you to reveal them, but if you post encouraging players to keep things secret then I will delete your posts. Do not use this forum to encourage other players to keep unintended game mechanics from getting reported.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.