Vorquin foal taming?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: Vorquin foal taming?

Unread post by worgpower »

Vephriel wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:43 pm
worgpower wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:46 pm Last xpac there were tameable elementals that were quickly hotfixed in a day, everything they had were removed, call pet icon, abilities, etc
I actually still have the fire elementals, they're invisible boxes in my stable and I never use them outside, but they exist and I can call them if I wanted to. I prefer not to as they're a glitched pet and don't have any functional abilities. The one fun aspect is that since I use the glyphed Dire Beast they sometimes show up as my random dire beast summons.
It’s awesome that you kept them, the animations make them too funny to be hunter pets, but did have the garwal treatment, I can also imagine being a BM shaman if I had them
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

A different ID with the same name for the Tundra Vorquin Foal appeared on PTR, which means it will likely get the same exact treatment as Dreamway Prowler Pup.
At this point, the possibility for that change to be an actual glitch is pretty much gone.

Original ID | Second ID

snipeypants
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by snipeypants »

It's quite unfortunate that they're probably going away. I do like the little guys! :cry:
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Sucks that Blizzard has ignored the hunters who were able to tame these foals and still is going to remove them when I think the rest also should be removed what fair is fair right but I am done with them when they only seem to care when it suits them. Well Blizzard I care as well when I want to since you fail to realize this then you left me with no choice I am deleting alts on realms down to just one character for now here I was so excited for 10.1.5 when regular flight returned. But as usual you messed up and decided to allow those lucky enough to get a mammoth to keep theirs while removing the foals. I am on borrowed time cancelled sub after world quest debacle and this is another way I am walking away from this game to go play better games that are more fun.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

I dont think the idea of "If I cant have something unique, then no one can" is a very healthy mindset to have here.
I'm sorry to hear the foals are being patched though :C

Siggy under construction!

Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

Bowno wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:34 am I dont think the idea of "If I cant have something unique, then no one can" is a very healthy mindset to have here.
I'm sorry to hear the foals are being patched though :C
I think is Blizzard's inconsistency that bothers most of us; they removed the Dreamway Prowler Pup because it was a zone exploitation and yet players can keep the Ephemeral Runner, a NPC you aren't supposed to tame because it runs out of bounds. They removed Garwal because it was a Worgen and the whole slavery-and-sentience thing and yet you can tame Tsulong, which is obviously sentient, and use it as pet to fight. They basically killed the Maw's elementals, making them unusable, because they aren't beasts or alike and yet the Spirit of Koosu, which is an ooze, is still a normal crocolisk since WOTLK. Now they remove the foals because...they're pups? Or what? And yet they never touched the mammoth calves or even the direhorn hatchlings, which required to abuse an exploit regarding the Legion's launch event and one of the related spells.

As I mentioned once, when they removed the campfire pet I was fine with it, because that was gamebreaking, but anything else is just visual and Blizzard is just straight up being mean by removing them, because there's no gain or loss to keeping a pet that is just a different model, nothing more.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Vesania wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:48 pm They removed Garwal because it was a Worgen and the whole slavery-and-sentience thing
They removed Garwal because they were just about to announce playable Worgen. He was hotfixed July 7th, then they announced playable Worgen August 21st, a month later.

It had nothing to do about sentience. It had everything to do about playable Worgen. Last thing they needed was a hunter to retain a Worgen pet. That'd be slavery. Especially problematic if someone had race-changed to Worgen while having Garwal.

There's also a difference between sentience and sapience, which is most likely where Blizzard draws the line. Sentience is fine for tameability. We have plenty of sentient pets. We do not have sapient pets. Worgen, at the point we tamed Garwal, were not known to be sapient yet. However, Blizzard were about to unveil sapient Worgen.

I don't think Blizzard likes the idea of us using baby pets, even though we have caterpillars, which are literally babies. But we also had to fight for caterpillars back in Mists, they weren't originally going to be allowed as pets either. If pet battlers like myself can throw baby pets in combat with each other, why can't hunters tame baby pets to use in battle as faithful companions?

Blizzard has acknowledged hunters want cute pets, but they won't follow through with that acknowledgement. We get thrown a bone every now and then, like with the crystal mice in Zaralek, but overall, most pets aren't cute. They're "Ferocious" because Blizzard likes to make the world look hostile, and it gets annoying, tbh.

---

That said, they probably changed this because the size.

The foals are an abnormally large size, and they probably can't get them to shrink back to a normal size, and instead of making it so players have to see hunters with huge baby pets with stretched textures, they decided to take the baby foals away from hunters instead.

It's a sad turn of events, but it's what they decided was in the best interest of everyone, because for a lot of players, seeing stretched textures ruins the game experience.

The baby mammoths are unaffected by this issue, as they are the correct size, they aren't giant. Likewise, the baby direhorns are also unaffected, if I recall. Which would likely be why those two baby pets are still intact.

In fact, I'd wager money the fact the foals are so big is why they're doing this, the devs have gone on record before that stretched textures get removed from the game often because they detract from the game experience.

Instead of throwing vitriol at the devs, maybe try seeing, if this is indeed the reason they are being removed, if we can get them to re-add the baby foals in a later patch in a way that they won't grow, so we can tame them again.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

Then a better fix would have been to simply set the size of the Foals to something that would appear "less stretched" or increase the texture resolution - rather than take it away from everyone. Unless they plan on doing that to all unintended tames.

The other point is - why did it take them so long?

I do wonder how many people quit the game due to seeing low-resolution textures on a baby foal :mrgreen:

Regardless - disappointed.
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

Maizou wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:26 am
Vesania wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:48 pm They removed Garwal because it was a Worgen and the whole slavery-and-sentience thing
They removed Garwal because they were just about to announce playable Worgen. He was hotfixed July 7th, then they announced playable Worgen August 21st, a month later.

It had nothing to do about sentience. It had everything to do about playable Worgen. Last thing they needed was a hunter to retain a Worgen pet. That'd be slavery. Especially problematic if someone had race-changed to Worgen while having Garwal.

There's also a difference between sentience and sapience, which is most likely where Blizzard draws the line. Sentience is fine for tameability. We have plenty of sentient pets. We do not have sapient pets. Worgen, at the point we tamed Garwal, were not known to be sapient yet. However, Blizzard were about to unveil sapient Worgen.

I don't think Blizzard likes the idea of us using baby pets, even though we have caterpillars, which are literally babies. But we also had to fight for caterpillars back in Mists, they weren't originally going to be allowed as pets either. If pet battlers like myself can throw baby pets in combat with each other, why can't hunters tame baby pets to use in battle as faithful companions?

Blizzard has acknowledged hunters want cute pets, but they won't follow through with that acknowledgement. We get thrown a bone every now and then, like with the crystal mice in Zaralek, but overall, most pets aren't cute. They're "Ferocious" because Blizzard likes to make the world look hostile, and it gets annoying, tbh.

---

That said, they probably changed this because the size.

The foals are an abnormally large size, and they probably can't get them to shrink back to a normal size, and instead of making it so players have to see hunters with huge baby pets with stretched textures, they decided to take the baby foals away from hunters instead.

It's a sad turn of events, but it's what they decided was in the best interest of everyone, because for a lot of players, seeing stretched textures ruins the game experience.

The baby mammoths are unaffected by this issue, as they are the correct size, they aren't giant. Likewise, the baby direhorns are also unaffected, if I recall. Which would likely be why those two baby pets are still intact.

In fact, I'd wager money the fact the foals are so big is why they're doing this, the devs have gone on record before that stretched textures get removed from the game often because they detract from the game experience.

Instead of throwing vitriol at the devs, maybe try seeing, if this is indeed the reason they are being removed, if we can get them to re-add the baby foals in a later patch in a way that they won't grow, so we can tame them again.
Players were pissed off about Garwal being taken away more than the whole slavery-thing; nobody really cared about it in the same way no one cares about making cubs fighting. The whole "politically correct" agenda is just stupid for something that is supposed to be just a game, pretty much the same as any kind of fictional art and storytelling. For me, it makes no sense and Blizzard just creates more angry hunters than happy woke-guys and that is all I saw in my whole 13 years on World of Warcraft; pissed players for changes made for stupid reasons no one ever cared about.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

If low resolution was an issue, then we wouldn't have caterpillars from MoP. You can still count the polygons on those things lol.

The best solution would've been to just do the Direhorn thing; add a hex/polymorph model, and swap to it. The direhorn (and the one brown frog from WoD) were swapped to use a hex/polymorph model, which is small by default. A Hex/Polymorph: Vorquin with a shrunk model would've resolved the issue while adding a fun thing for other classes to the game. It's the easiest way to keep everyone happy with very, very minimal loss. Same could have been done with the mammoth calves. I mean sure, some people would be sad to lose their giant babies, but that would be an insignificant loss compared to having it changed to a basic model found everywhere else.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

And... locked.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.