10.1 Beasts Thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: 10.1 Beasts Thread

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:18 am Nice job Wain! I gotta say, the snails are done dirty by the model viewer. Not your fault of course; the reflective surface of the Crystalline snails is just not something that translates well to a 2d image. Definitely add a disclaimer that they're very shiny ingame.
Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if the model viewer isn't picking up some effect. The one I'm using is usually pretty good with that.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

I don't think it's a model viewer issue or an image issue, per se. Just a detail that should certainly be advertised, since the snails being reflective and shiny is absolutely one of their greatest draws. It's not like we can rotate the images on the site like holographic trading cards, after all!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

yeah, I'd suggest a hide/show button for the deepstriders :) and I'd make the default be hide, as we seem to be unlikely to tame them
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:52 am In case you'd like to see a preview, I've just created a first draft page for all the new 10.1 models and looks:

https://www.wow-petopia.com/patch101.php

I just got all the look info added to the database and slapped the page together within the last 15 minutes, so it's still very rough! I haven't set anything as tameable, and you won't find any of the newly-tameable looks for older models on there yet.

I also need to do something so the 240 deepstrider looks don't take up half the page! :P
Deepstriders are going to be my new fixation pet-that-we-can't tame, I can just feel it </3

Thank you for the preview gallery! I'm so impressed by those new moths, I really liked the bumblebee rig they made and it's awesome to see it used on more bugs, feels much better than the old firefly one.

I also really adore those mice models, here's hoping they'll put them into the Rodent family, they look detailed enough for a pet model I think.

I feel torn on the Rock Cobras because they're fantastic models, but the size of the head and the hoods looks very disproportionate to the body length so they end up looking stubby, an issue which I'm noticing more and more with newer models. They just make the heads larger (maybe to add more detail?) but it always looks a bit "off" with the rest of the body. It's not a dealbreaker for me entirely but it does bother me a little.

EDIT: wait one more critique, what sort of eyes are these for a snake? Those are mammalian eyes, I don't like that. :lol:

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I have plenty of words for what those eyes resemble, but I'll just say they look like "my first Deviantart submission" eyes. It looks like a quick photoshop job that you'd have after looking up a generic "make eye in photoshop" tutorial. Definitely not the best eyes, but I doubt we were really supposed to be staring sensually into their seductive eyes. They look like they'd try to hypnotize you with a raspy yet gentle voice that's trying to lull you to sleep.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Vephriel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:25 pm EDIT: wait one more critique, what sort of eyes are these for a snake? Those are mammalian eyes, I don't like that. :lol:

Looks like we have another case for cool animal with wrong eyes, that same case was on the Dire Worgs from legion, which had eyes and pupils like a bird and the model would of been better if they had more accurate eyes. Many hunters liked the model used for hati more because the eyes aren’t bird like, and I guess the same case will be for cobras. I wonder what weird eye job blizzard will give next. Cats with fish pupils, or horses with snail eyes. Those would be laughable :lol:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I agree! Those eyes are just freaking weird! They were the first thing that stood out to me when I first loaded the model. It's a shame, because the rest of the model is really good!
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

Yes, the eyes are strange, i gave it new ones(with the mouse) :D
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Aroim wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:22 am Yes, the eyes are strange, i gave it new ones(with the mouse) :D
Much better! :)

It also made me miss Slapperfish and his googly eye pics. It looks like he hasn't been around for a couple of years :(
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Thank you Aroim, those round eyes are just way too uncanny for me! :lol:
Aroim
Pet Finder

Unread post by Aroim »

Vephriel wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm Thank you Aroim, those round eyes are just way too uncanny for me! :lol:
Gladly :)
I hope they might change them, i can't live with these eyes D: otherwise I'll probably just tame one of the Magma versions
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Lol, their adaptation with those mammalian eyes is probably human sight and vision and the long nose for hunting moths and whelks
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Vephriel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:25 pm EDIT: wait one more critique, what sort of eyes are these for a snake? Those are mammalian eyes, I don't like that. :lol:

You just ruined the new cobras for me. Lol.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I just tested this on ptr, the normal cobra was much bigger when tamed than the lava cobra
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

OMG MICE ARE TAMEABLE, also completes the final color of mana wyrm, theyre located on the southwest end of the zone, the mouse comes in blue and white, the serpent also has a blue variant
WoWScrnShot_031423_184153.jpg
WoWScrnShot_031423_184153.jpg (266.28 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
WoWScrnShot_031423_184401.jpg
WoWScrnShot_031423_184401.jpg (241.6 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Excuse me WHAT? We can actually get mice now?! This better not get changed.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

worgpower wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:46 pm OMG MICE ARE TAMEABLE, also completes the final color of mana wyrm, theyre located on the southwest end of the zone, the mouse comes in blue and white, the serpent also has a blue variant
WoWScrnShot_031423_184153.jpg
WoWScrnShot_031423_184401.jpg
💙💙💙 must go tweet this!
DragonHeart
Realm: Eitrigg

Unread post by DragonHeart »

Wain we need more stable slots ASAP for all the Hunter pet collectors please make an out cry to Blizzard PLEASE!!!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Not as much of a shock as the mice, and (justifiably) likely to be forgotten quickly; the magma sporebats are tameable on ptr now. Only the elites over with the core hounds.
WoWScrnShot_031423_235551.jpg
WoWScrnShot_031423_235551.jpg (234.56 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I don't see Blizz adding more stables slots for now. It could happen, of course, but with us having 200 slots available I just don't think that they'll view adding more as a necessity.