10.1 Beasts Thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Re: 10.1 Beasts Thread

Unread post by Talihawk »

I really hope they let us tame the 3 headed hydra-dragon. It's so very nifty!
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

DannyGreen wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:25 pm AY ITS YA BOY BACK FROM THE GRAVE!

But in all seriousness. I love the long leg things. I really want to see one tameable!
Sporebats, not the biggest fan of, I think the dragon head makes them look a lil silly Concept art is way cooler.
I think the 1 headed corehounds are cool. But i'll never be able to use em :c SV main.

This guy would be great addition. Since we can tame dragons now dragons aint no longer off the table. (this thing was called a dragon on wowhead so i'm going with that)
It's one of the raid boss iirc so I hope if it so, we get to tame it, like in another 2 expansions.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

17E32ADD-DF6B-4B56-B5D3-F438E7ED4FA3.png
17E32ADD-DF6B-4B56-B5D3-F438E7ED4FA3.png (225.6 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
just previewed the Aberrus bosses in the adventure guide and found this phoenix look on Ignara in the Zaqali Invasion raid encounter, looks like another raid tameable for two expansions later
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

https://www.wowhead.com/ptr/npc=200420/ ... me-phoenix
Good news; there's tameable blue phoenixes!
Bad news; I have no idea where they're found, or if they're even actually tameable (such as NPC pets).
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:01 pm https://www.wowhead.com/ptr/npc=200420/ ... me-phoenix
Good news; there's tameable blue phoenixes!
Bad news; I have no idea where they're found, or if they're even actually tameable (such as NPC pets).
Looks like they are part of an objective it’s possible they only spawn during those objectives or haven’t been added yet
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I have some sad news: Deepstriders won't be tameable 😥

According to a designer I spoke to, the model dimensions are just too problematic for a pet. They'd love to make them tameable, and they clearly tried them out, but they're sadly not going to happen. Damn 😥
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:23 pm I have some sad news: Deepstriders won't be tameable 😥

According to a designer I spoke to, the model dimensions are just too problematic for a pet. They'd love to make them tameable, and they clearly tried them out, but they're sadly not going to happen. Damn 😥
I understand but I am still very saddened! :cry:
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Wain wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:23 pm I have some sad news: Deepstriders won't be tameable 😥

I mean no disrespect to the designer, but I feel the need to say "Really?" in the most sarcastic manner. We didn't have giraffes for a long time, but look at them now; lovable tall pets. Everyone thought shrinking them would end up being bad, yet they work spectacularly because of how goofy they look. Deepstriders are, in the most basic sense, just giraffes with short necks. What specifically caused the designers to think that these guys wouldn't work out? I'm sure every single one of us could debunk whatever reasons would be provided. If deepstriders pose problems, then giraffes should also not be tameable for the exact same reasons. I personally wouldn't tame one, but I know plenty of hunters who would want these goofy things.

I don't like this one bit. Push back against injustice!
JUSTICE-FOR-LONG-LEGS.png
JUSTICE-FOR-LONG-LEGS.png (9.58 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Oh darn, still hoping flayers will be tameable since they’re the coolest creatures added, and they look cooler than any bat I’ve seen

Edit - it’s hard for me to understand why the deepstrider dimensions are problematic, look at the fen striders given to us during pandaria, they are extremely tall and I guess the same goes for giraffes, they may look goofy when tamed but they work, if fen striders are working hunter pets, so can deepstriders
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I gotta agree with Worg on this.
If we have fen striders then we can have these things. Even if they are a little bigger.
I dont think it's a problem with them getting in the way, I mean you can have 2 giant glowing magma mammoths running around the field.
Here's hoping they change their mind. Or let them look silly. I mean you guys have seen how dumb the tiny dragons look when scaled down. They only look impressive on the gnome/goblins kek

Personal opinions time.
I get that it's the dragon isle, but do we really have to slap a dragon muzzle on EVERYTHING?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

These new snails are growing on me quite a bit. Just ran around with the white crystal snail, just trying to see which lighting from which zone looks best on it. It's not that big, but the reflective surface texture they chose for the crystals is absolutely great. Sadly, it's the opposite for me with the sporebats. The new sporebats (the three fleshy ones, at least) just look...wrong. They look like a lesser dragon started melting, but before the whole thing melted, it solidified again. They're just blobs of skin and scales with thin dragon-like heads. They're decently sized, but that's sadly the only compliment I have for them. If they stay sporebats or get moved to a more fitting family, it's not really a big plus in my eyes. Barring the unfortunate news Wain delivered, the new (fleshy) sporebats are the biggest disappointment for me.

The rock and lava cobras, the deep moths, and all the new snails are huge wins though, for sure.
Sporebat.png
Sporebat.png (27.64 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 pm These new snails are growing on me quite a bit. Just ran around with the white crystal snail, just trying to see which lighting from which zone looks best on it. It's not that big, but the reflective surface texture they chose for the crystals is absolutely great. Sadly, it's the opposite for me with the sporebats. The new sporebats (the three fleshy ones, at least) just look...wrong. They look like a lesser dragon started melting, but before the whole thing melted, it solidified again. They're just blobs of skin and scales with thin dragon-like heads. They're decently sized, but that's sadly the only compliment I have for them. If they stay sporebats or get moved to a more fitting family, it's not really a big plus in my eyes. Barring the unfortunate news Wain delivered, the new (fleshy) sporebats are the biggest disappointment for me.

The rock and lava cobras, the deep moths, and all the new snails are huge wins though, for sure.

Sporebat.png
I actually like them quite a bit, I’m just a bit confused on what family it’s made for, it looks like a Ray, and it flies like a Ray, and it’s put in sporebats, a family of mushroom shaped rays with bulbous tails, anything that looks like a dragon would look great for my orc hunter since dragons were a dream to even own, now we also got Cobras that look suspiciously similar to the cobra dragons from dragon wars
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Oh I neeeeeed the blue phoenix. It looks very snazzy!
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I was just thinking.
Maybe the case isn't the size. But the animations.
We've seen how wonky the new primal thunderlizards are. Maybe they just aren't designed to move that fast.
A good fix would be tweaking the animation speed. Honestly a few species could benefit from that, here's looking at you Draenor pigs.
So when they shrink down to Hunter pet size, their legs probably flail all over the place like a coked up cat with mittens.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

DannyGreen wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:33 pm I was just thinking.
Maybe the case isn't the size. But the animations.
We've seen how wonky the new primal thunderlizards are. Maybe they just aren't designed to move that fast.
A good fix would be tweaking the animation speed. Honestly a few species could benefit from that, here's looking at you Draenor pigs.
So when they shrink down to Hunter pet size, their legs probably flail all over the place like a coked up cat with mittens.
I liked the thunder lizards with the new run animations but when patch 10.0.5 hit, they completely destroyed my interest for them by giving them those old kodo running animations, I decided to abandon my thunder lizard and stop mounting Lizi because of the change, at least armoredons weren’t affected, but as for them, they could use more horn variants, another KSM mount is coming and it sports different horns
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

honestly if mr long legs had horrible glitchy animations it would only make them all the more charming to me. those guys are already so wonky/freaky looking that any other animation problems would just be icing on the cake. I really hope they change their minds and let us tame them- warts and all. :(

Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

Honestly, deepstriders' reasons for being untamable are bullshit; hunters already have waterstriders and giraffes, along with several other long or big NPCs that get scaled down, looks a bit weird and yet are tamable. They made other looks available and now those IDENTICAL NPCs aren't tamable because "They won't animate correctly..."? Doesn't makes sense at all.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

I'm just hoping the mice are tameable. D:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

In case you'd like to see a preview, I've just created a first draft page for all the new 10.1 models and looks:

https://www.wow-petopia.com/patch101.php

I just got all the look info added to the database and slapped the page together within the last 15 minutes, so it's still very rough! I haven't set anything as tameable, and you won't find any of the newly-tameable looks for older models on there yet.

I also need to do something so the 240 deepstrider looks don't take up half the page! :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Nice job Wain! I gotta say, the snails are done dirty by the model viewer. Not your fault of course; the reflective surface of the Crystalline snails is just not something that translates well to a 2d image. Definitely add a disclaimer that they're very shiny ingame.