10.1 Beasts Thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Re: 10.1 Beasts Thread

Unread post by Talihawk »

I finally got the gold one. I waited a bit more than an hour after the double spawn. Not sure if that helped or rng finally caught up with me. Good luck to anyone looking.

does anyone have any advice on catching the gold Treasurewhiskers ? I'm having absolutely horrible rng. I'm finally on a map that seems like it should be easy to summon him, but it's not resetting properly. I'm waiting 35 min before going back. I've been trying since tuesday every half hour to an hour and it won't spawn anything but the purple, and it doesn't seem to be resetting properly either. This last time the purple was still there when I returned and I haven't looted or attacked anything else. and it even let me spawn another purple mouse. I left them both there.
Rabenschrey
Realm: EU-Thrall

Unread post by Rabenschrey »

WerebearGuy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:51 am Really wish hunters had a way to hold aggro. [...]
I just wish, that once you start taming a mob becomes unattackable by non-hunters. Sounds a bit selfish but we hunters wait for some mobs like an eternity only for a random andy passing by and killing the mob you've been probably waiting for hours for.
I've even experienced that they laugh straight up your face when they killed a spirit beast for that lousy 25g trophy.

P.s: You were right with the foal, i've missed the part with the ptr. On live it's still the baby size and look. well, if they finally "fix" the foal i'll abandon it. one slot free again :D :(
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rabenschrey wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:08 pm
WerebearGuy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:51 am Really wish hunters had a way to hold aggro. [...]
I just wish, that once you start taming a mob becomes unattackable by non-hunters. Sounds a bit selfish but we hunters wait for some mobs like an eternity only for a random andy passing by and killing the mob you've been probably waiting for hours for.
There are many times I've wished for that too! Providing you start taming before someone else starts attacking.

Even then, I can imagine situations where it could be abused. But it'd at least be great for rares that are intended purely for taming.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Wain wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:47 pm
Rabenschrey wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:08 pm
There are many times I've wished for that too! Providing you start taming before someone else starts attacking.

Even then, I can imagine situations where it could be abused. But it'd at least be great for rares that are intended purely for taming.
Perhaps a spell with a long cooldown, that can only be cast on an unaggroed mob. If a spell could be spammed to keep a mob dancing in and out of attackability, yeah, I could see that for trolling potential, but it had a 30min or 1 hour CD it'd be hard to abuse. Maybe add in a little asterisk in the code that it can't be cast on those !-tagged quest mobs.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Sadly, "intended for taming" is hugely debatable in most cases. The only things that I can think of that are specifically meant for taming are the Exile's Reach tutorial pet and Hati. There's also the felbound wolf, but those can be attacked after you cleanse them I think. It kind of feels presumptuous to really say anything is strictly made for us, unless it's clearly part of a hunter-only quest.

Still, I desire SOMETHING. I lost the ray three times today because some tanks just had to taunt it off of me.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:22 am Sadly, "intended for taming" is hugely debatable in most cases. The only things that I can think of that are specifically meant for taming are the Exile's Reach tutorial pet and Hati. There's also the felbound wolf, but those can be attacked after you cleanse them I think. It kind of feels presumptuous to really say anything is strictly made for us, unless it's clearly part of a hunter-only quest.

Still, I desire SOMETHING. I lost the ray three times today because some tanks just had to taunt it off of me.
Crystallized Tear dropping NPCs were created to be tamed. That kind of thing.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

We really need Distracting Shot back, to be honest.

The fact it was taken away and not given back in Dragonflight, the expansion of Unpruning Spells, still irks me. Lol.

It made pulling things away from the group for taming a lot easier.

It was also great utility for groups. Being able to taunt when the tank died and hit Deterrence (now Turtle) was amazing utility.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

By the way, I noticed in Wowhead's 10.1.5 database they listed a spider that used that spectral spider model (that I think has remained unused up to now?). That doesn't meant it'll be tameable in practice, but I hope so.

https://www.wowhead.com/ptr-2/npc=20618 ... -skitterer

The model was used for a Shadowlands version of Shadra, but I'm not sure it was ever used. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, as a result, I've finally added the appearance to our database. I didn't when the model first appeared because it didn't render properly and seemed not quite finished, and was also unused (that I know of). It looks okay now, I think:

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The ghostly Shadra showed up in the Maw when you took Vol'jin to go ghost hunting. I think it was a Night Fae campaign quest, could be wrong. She was dead as hell though, splayed out on a web like a trophy.
Vesania
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Vesania »

WerebearGuy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:37 pm The ghostly Shadra showed up in the Maw when you took Vol'jin to go ghost hunting. I think it was a Night Fae campaign quest, could be wrong. She was dead as hell though, splayed out on a web like a trophy.
That one wasn't the spectral form; I think the ghostly Shadra was never really implemented and, if it's actually in-game, it's locked in some weird phasing/quest no one remember.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am By the way, I noticed in Wowhead's 10.1.5 database they listed a spider that used that spectral spider model (that I think has remained unused up to now?). That doesn't meant it'll be tameable in practice, but I hope so.

The model was used for a Shadowlands version of Shadra, but I'm not sure it was ever used. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, as a result, I've finally added the appearance to our database. I didn't when the model first appeared because it didn't render properly and seemed not quite finished, and was also unused (that I know of). It looks okay now, I think:

I wonder if it's a callback to the TBC rare from Terokkar (likely it's just coincidental naming). Either way I am hoping with every fibre of my being that this is a future spirit beast, I've wanted a spider for so long and this is a beautiful model.
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Wain wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am By the way, I noticed in Wowhead's 10.1.5 database they listed a spider that used that spectral spider model (that I think has remained unused up to now?). That doesn't meant it'll be tameable in practice, but I hope so.

IIRC it was meant for the Night Fae quest where you rescue her from the Maw but never actually implemented. They just used a different, less cool model, which was a bit disappointing.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Woo it's very neat looking! I hope it does show up as a tameable pet. We need more variety in our spirit beasts!
ApiBiru

Unread post by ApiBiru »

That is the most beautiful spider ever!
Wingaard

Unread post by Wingaard »

The spider is so cool and mystical! Perhaps he is still somewhere, because I read that he can only be tamed by hunters with a night fairy.
Rabenschrey
Realm: EU-Thrall

Unread post by Rabenschrey »

Wingaard wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:12 am The spider is so cool and mystical! Perhaps he is still somewhere, because I read that he can only be tamed by hunters with a night fairy.
No, the spider is available to everyone and part of a rotating daily quest for the whelpling daycare introduced in 10.1.5 in Valdrakken.
Take a look here if you will viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26914&start=20