The rare wolf or something in SoS

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sodope
Realm: Area-52

The rare wolf or something in SoS

Unread post by Sodope »

I remember there being a rare wolf or something in Swamp of Sorrows. It wasn't rare because it had a silver dragon around it's picture or something, it was a ghost that appeared at the end of a quest and if you were fast enough you could tame it before it disappeared. Or I think it would attack you like an unrestful spirit? I remember hunters used to camp the site back in the day pre cata

Does anyone remember that?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: The rare wolf or something in SoS

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Grimtotem Spirit Guide. It was the ghostly wolf that was summoned by an NPC, and had a lifespan of ~8 seconds. You needed to have obscenely high haste to get your 20 second (at the time) Tame Beast to be fast enough to tame it. They patched it out, so you can't tame that wolf anymore. There's a rare spirit beast for Beast Mastery hunters named Karoma that shares this skin though, so if you don't mind going BM, you can go grab Karoma in Twilight Highlands if you find it.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

I have this little guy! Got him back in BC.
Man was it a thrill to get the tame to work correctly.
I had to buy haste gems for my helm and get some weapon enchants that also boosted haste. My gear was def not hunter gear for this either, as it was all for casting.
I THINK the head gem was something where you randomly had a chance to proc insane hate time for a few seconds, so I'd have to spam aspect of the pack and aspect of the cheetah in order to get it to proc.
Then, we had a Shaman friend of mine hit Bloodlust to also increase haste.
Those alone were not enough, so we also had to have a friend Mind Control the NPC that summoned it, waited until I said I had a proc, and then he would use the NPC's skill to summon the wolf.
Even then, it was barely enough time to finish the tame, and we spent a few hours on it before it was finally done correctly. I remember that the wolf ended up dying and we werent sure if the tame had been successful or not (after a lot of failed attempts already).. But it suddenly said I already had a pet. Rez pet, and I had my wolf! There was much screaming and celebrating on Ventrillo that day.

But yes, Blizzard decided they didnt like that challenge tame. There is the Spirit Beast version, but I'm pretty salty it looks the EXACT SAME. A slightly different tint woulda been nice for those of us who went through the battle to get the Grimtotem one.
Any time Blizzard messes with pet families though, I always go back to check these guys.. Just for the fun of it. Also good to check any other creature that behaves in this way, juuust in case!

Siggy under construction!

Sodope
Realm: Area-52

Unread post by Sodope »

Dude thank you both, and @Bowno great to hear you got it!
smashfanDS
Realm: EU - Silvermoon

Unread post by smashfanDS »

Bowno wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:01 pm I have this little guy! Got him back in BC.
Man was it a thrill to get the tame to work correctly.
I had to buy haste gems for my helm and get some weapon enchants that also boosted haste. My gear was def not hunter gear for this either, as it was all for casting.
I THINK the head gem was something where you randomly had a chance to proc insane hate time for a few seconds, so I'd have to spam aspect of the pack and aspect of the cheetah in order to get it to proc.
Then, we had a Shaman friend of mine hit Bloodlust to also increase haste.
Those alone were not enough, so we also had to have a friend Mind Control the NPC that summoned it, waited until I said I had a proc, and then he would use the NPC's skill to summon the wolf.
Even then, it was barely enough time to finish the tame, and we spent a few hours on it before it was finally done correctly. I remember that the wolf ended up dying and we werent sure if the tame had been successful or not (after a lot of failed attempts already).. But it suddenly said I already had a pet. Rez pet, and I had my wolf! There was much screaming and celebrating on Ventrillo that day.

But yes, Blizzard decided they didnt like that challenge tame. There is the Spirit Beast version, but I'm pretty salty it looks the EXACT SAME. A slightly different tint woulda been nice for those of us who went through the battle to get the Grimtotem one.
Any time Blizzard messes with pet families though, I always go back to check these guys.. Just for the fun of it. Also good to check any other creature that behaves in this way, juuust in case!
Wow, another active fellow Grimtotem Spirit Guide owner!

Due to my latency, in a try where I was 100% sure everything was optimal, I still failed. I needed something else to boost my haste; then I read of am item called "Juju Flurry" that gives a little haste.

That item gave me the little boost I needed. Several attempts later and I tamed it! Just like you the tame completed just as it died.

Would to have a Grimtotem Spirit Guide get-together, but alas, I play on EU.

EDIT: I just realised that it's been 15 years since this was no longer tamable, it's been so long :(