Random Pet Challenge: Stepping Out of the Box!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kittykat
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Re: Random Pet Challenge: Stepping Out of the Box!

Unread post by Kittykat »

Last night I was playing around with rolling for pets for my hunters, and I rolled:

and

Now I just have to decide which pet for which hunter! I may "cheat" and tame the scarlet tracking hound instead. Level it up, play around with it as a hyena for now, and then see if it becomes a Mastiff dog once Cataclysm hits.
lurker2891
Realm: Bloodhoof

Unread post by lurker2891 »

Davarian
Lvl 80 BM hunter
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Oh gosh :embarrassed: I totally forgot. I'll take a reroll if it's not too much effort. And let me see... got a devilsaur, spirit beast, cat, wolf, raptor, moth.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

Hmm... I think I might've gotten missed. Could I get a second assignment my my Troll BM hunter, Aldera? Her stable is listed at the bottom of my post on pg 19, but I can repost it when I get home from work (I'm posting on my phone during lunch right now.) Exotic are fine, but spirit beasts and Krush are notoriously hard to get on Illidan.

TY!!

Kittykat
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Kittykat »

ummeiko wrote:Hmm... I think I might've gotten missed. Could I get a second assignment my my Troll BM hunter, Aldera? Her stable is listed at the bottom of my post on pg 19, but I can repost it when I get home from work (I'm posting on my phone during lunch right now.) Exotic are fine, but spirit beasts and Krush are notoriously hard to get on Illidan.

TY!!
I hope you don't mind, I rolled one for you:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/carrionbirdskin.html
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:No offense Cerah, with so many posts and everything, and the fact that you refuse to tame anything you have, plus your huge stable, you nearly make it more challenge to roll your 80 a pet than the low level hunters. I'll give you a reroll when my mouse on my desktop decides to quit bugging out.

When I first read about this challenge, I took it as something that we would use as a sort of guide to present other hunters out there with as a way to see different pets in a way you thought you might not have, and if you make a new friend out of it, great! Be it a different skin or a new family. But maybe that's just my view. I've tamed two different wasps, and if I was rolled an animal I've already tamed, I made my report on it. Like I said, that's the way I read the challenge and the way I view it. I'll have your rerolls and fresh rolls ready when my computer decides to quit being lame. Not trying to be mean or anything, but I'm tired and your post came off slightly offensive.

Look, I'm tired too. I'm working 2 jobs at the moment (both minimum wage, one of which is quite physically exhausting), while attending university full time, taking English and Professional Writing, a very time-consuming and intensive program. WoW is really the only thing remotely resembling a social life/time to myself that I have (and yes, I know that's sad). I appologize if I sounded offensive, sometimes I just have too much on my mind to remember "proper" social rhetoric.

I posted my pets, and I thought not retaming things I already have wasn't too much to ask. Sorry for snapping about the plainstrider, but I did post my review on it a couple pages ago. I thought you already knew.

If it's not too much trouble, I'll try the regular grey boar for Cerah this time. Undead animals just look, well, wrong and kind of sickening in my opinion. I'm not sure why I find them so -- I have no problems with my Forsaken toon (though she is a warlock, I guess her robes cover up the worst of the rot). I guess an animal that literally looks like it should be lying on the side of the freeway, not up, active and attacking things, is just a bit unsettling.

Thanks for doing this, Tyger and Acherontia.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Reprting in.

After catching one of these crocolisks in sholazar, and specing him as a tank, I went on a killing spree. Snakes, crocolisks dreadsabers and rhinos. Although it was 3lvs below me, he did alright holding aggro. Though I noticed that due to his coloring he was very hard to see in the Mangle. Next we headed over to Ice Crown to do some questing killing undead, again I had a hard time seeing him against the dark ground. With the holiday, I took him into SM to Tank the HH as Blizzard had the wonderful glitch of disconnecting whomever went to summon him, usually the tank.
He did a great job of holding aggro, and the group(s) had no issue with getting aggro. But again, there was the visability issue with such a dark, low to the ground pet.
As for what sounds he makes and whether or not they might be trying...I dont know, the sound card is currently MIA since my laptop got knocked over.

All and all, this pet makes a good tank, but I could not form any sort of bond with it, feeling like half the time the pet wasn't even there.

(New pet plz)

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

So, I decided to roll one for myself, and finally ended with a yellow scorpid. Not impressed, I went out to grab him and the first one I found in Desolace. His constant moving made me think, "Huh. Impatience would be a great name."

* Try tanking an 80 elite with your pet
We went for Torseg the Restless or whatever, and he did awesome. Held aggro like nobody's business, and he was tough. Half way through, a warlock decided to join in the fun, and Impatience still held Torseg. Thanks to Deadblood of Cenarion Circle for helping us! *waves*
* Do a heroic
I was a bit leery of heroics. Fire's gear is abysmal, and I didn't want to bother with a stupidly long queue.
* Do a battleground
Sign up, and yeah. We get stomped. We lose. And rogues don't like us. Kept getting targeted by one, so not much can be said there.
* Check the pet out in different lightings
He's a really pretty neon when targeted that I like.
* Check out swimming and possibly levitate animations (if any)
His swimming animation is pretty awesome. I also love his idle animations. He's so clicky!
* Get a screenshot of you and your oddly fitting or entirely mismatching pet!
Attached.

All in all, I liked the scorpid. Maybe not this color, and Impatience will have to molt his scales, but I really did like him. Ironically, I left him on aggressive, so he charged off to destroy Torseg without me ready. His name fit perfectly.

New one please. Firewing, Level 80 BM hunter. I have Rak'shiri, a panther, a Cursed Offspring kitty, an armored wolf, Krush, a scorpid, a white warpstalker, and I think that's it.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_110110_163549.jpg
WoWScrnShot_110110_163549.jpg (282.28 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
WoWScrnShot_110110_165640.jpg
WoWScrnShot_110110_165640.jpg (391.92 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I had an idea just now about something that might help out in this thread. :)

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Voting Page on Petopia for the most popular pet looks:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/browse/popular_vote.php

Well, since it shows two random pet appearances every time you refresh, perhaps people could use this page to randomly select a pet for themselves? You could do something like go for the first pet shown, or if that's already tamed or unobtainable then you could do the second pet instead. Otherwise just keep refreshing until you get one that suits your specifications.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

It's just time consuming to do re-roll after re-roll. If you already have the pet that you were rolled tamed--make a report on it. If you're just doing this as a personal way to find new pets, then perhaps you're better off rolling for yourself as I see this challenge in this thread being a way for the community to see these pets from someone else's point of view, even if you don't like the pet.

When you have a huge stable that's already full of half or more of the pet families out there and you refuse to tame a different skin or a redo, etc, it makes it very hard, and in many ways, more limiting than even rolling for lowbies. I don't remember every single post made here, unfortunately, and having to dig back several pages to see what you've done (when you could repost when you request another roll if you don't want that family again) makes this more time consuming than it already is. Like I said before, I was rolled two wasps for this challenge, I did a big report on the first one, and a smaller report on the second because they were two different skins and I felt that each wasp had its own personality.

Sorry, needed to vent a bit. :oops: Acheronita, I'd like to thank you for the time that you've put into this; I imagine at times it's been frustrating/tiring, but it's much appreciated. :hug:

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Novikova

Ah, I'm sorry about that. :( It slipped my mind on listing what I have. I don't mind a different skin of the same family though if that's help. I'll see about taking the snake out for a spin.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

No worries.
Here's your re-roll in case you choose not to use the snake:
http://cataclysm.wow-petopia.com/images ... lbinot.jpg

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Loethlin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Loethlin »

Purple Firefly, reporting in!

It is now 0012 my time, and I spend most of my time online on my hunter, with my new Purple Firefly.
I love taking screenshots so it's going to be image heavy i'm afraid, so posting thumbnails rather than huge screenies.

This is Maia:

I tamed her at 0914 this morning, in Zangarmarsh.
She seems to be a bit camera shy, heehee.
I really like the way she looks, purple being my favourite coulor. I considered naming her Serenity, but opted against it after all, it'd be too obvious.

Quick HS to Dalaran, coffee and a sandwich later, we're off to randoms.

Despite being 3 levels lower than me, she did surprisingly well in the first heroic. It was HoS, and the tank deciced to do a full run.
Yay! We're now officially Dungeon Heroes!

In between randoms, we went sightseeing, to check out how Maia looks like in different lighting.

She leaves a trail of purple glow after her while moving. It only became apparent in the quite blazing sun of Menethil Harbor.
In this light, you can clearly see she's, in fact, very glowy, as a proper firefly should be. Unfortunately, Maia doesn't have any special swimming animation, she just flies, but underwater.

It's my favourite spot to check stuff like that, but we still were queued up for randoms and-
OH SHI-
Actually, we topped DPS in this instance. I felt very accomplished.

Still queued up, we toured Hellfire Peninsula and Icecrown in search for elites to solo, since Maia dinged level 80.

I never attampted soloing Fel Reaver before, on any of my characters, but I figured, I might as well try it and see how Maia does, before I'll go to Icecrown.

That thing behind us is our first Bone Guard.
Soloing it with Maia was stupidly easy. I am now officially a fan of Wasp's Sting ability. I checked on several more elites if it wasn't just dumb luck, but no. We kicked some elite Scourge ass in there for the best part of the morning. I never managed to solo things this easily with a ferocity pet.

In the meantime, I got tired with randoms. Maia and I managed to farm me a piece of T10 (remember, hunter is my alt, she's not terribly well geared).
I figured, I might as well level up cooking and fishing, since I've been putting it off forever. We went to Dun Morogh.
Yeah, that's Timber behind us. We helped a level 17 hunter tame him. I got a hug. ^^

Sometime around then, a guildmate whispered us and...
I am now Pralinka of the Nightfall. Maia was with me the whole time during this raid. We and another hunter were the only ones left standing at the end, and Maia held Sartharion's aggro long enough for me to Kill Shot him. Hunter and her Pet saved the day! :D Go us! Yeah, it was pretty awesome :)

We then headed to Southshore for cooking recipes and to catch some fish and- Oh, hello there.
Lucky!
I can never have enough cats, seriously.
I'm so happy about 20 slot stables! Araga is now called ChrisPine, because I already have two pets called BillShatner.

But as awesome as this was, it was back to fishing with Maia!
Why does it always has to rain in Hillsbrad Foothills? >.<

We loitered a bit in Stormwind, fishing in the canals, when something BAD happened...
The Elemental Invasion started!
We completed the quest chain together!

To sum up:
My day with my pet Wasp was fantastic and quite eventful.
We killed elites, bosses, saved a raid from failing, advanced secondary professions slightly and completed a pre-Cata event's questline.
I love Maia to bits and she is now my go-to pet for soloing stuff, she fits my style of playing solo perfectly, her ability offers a bit CC, which is also good for any gankers out there (PvP server... RP-PvP actually. That only means that the gankers are also rubbing it in.).
She is a very pretty wasp, and that cute glowing trail of purple she leaves after her is just awesome.
We didn't do any PvP, because I'm not quite confident in my skills as a hunter to brave a battleground just yet.

I'm very glad I had this pet rolled for me, thank you so much!
Last edited by Loethlin on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'm glad you enjoyed it, she looks good next to your hunter. ^_^

[/center]
Novikova

I'll give them both a shot. :D Gonna go grab a gator. Crikey!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I used to run around with a gator named Steve a looooooonng time ago when I first started playing. XD

Makoes, I missed your roll earlier, and I apologize.

For Makoes:
http://cataclysm.wow-petopia.com/images ... blackt.jpg
Since I'm not sure if you have BM spec, or what level you are,
http://cataclysm.wow-petopia.com/images ... whitet.jpg
is an alternative.

If I missed someone or you wish to partcipate, give a holler.

[/center]
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

*grin* There's nothing wrong with a firefly named Serenity. ^_^ Mine's Persephone for similar sorts of reasons. ;) (Also, the Greek mythology theme, but the name went with that pet for that reason...)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Banbha
Realm: Archimonde

Unread post by Banbha »

Banbha. SV.
:]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

For Banbha:
Since you didn't list your stables, this is what I rolled for you:
http://cataclysm.wow-petopia.com/images ... nbluet.jpg

[/center]
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Kalliope wrote:*grin* There's nothing wrong with a firefly named Serenity. ^_^ Mine's Persephone for similar sorts of reasons. ;) (Also, the Greek mythology theme, but the name went with that pet for that reason...)
Actually, along these lines, I have a moth named Firefly. Because of the Serenity Dust ability? Yeah.