Random Pet Challenge: Stepping Out of the Box!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Re: Random Pet Challenge: Stepping Out of the Box!

Unread post by Cerah »

Sarayana wrote: Cerah, I disagree that there's no point in having the same pet - both my hunters have Clutchmother. They are very different creatures for each (though they share personality traits) and I have different attachment to the two.

By the same token, I look forward to taming the ravager on Aoani - it'll be different for her than it was for Sara and who knows, perhaps she'll keep it around when Sara didn't. ;)

Anyway, just my 2c.
I must respectfully disagree with your disagreement ;)

I just like to have a little variety in my toons, otherwise I tend to get bored. Hunters are actually the only toons whom I have multiples of the same class. Even then, I've specced them differently. Cerah's BM, Toeph's SV, and Leata's MM.

I just think with all the variety we are priveleged to have when it comes to pet choices, why have the same thing on different toons when we do have the option to do otherwise.

I'm not saying anything's wrong with taming the same pet on different toons if that's what you want to do. It just doesn't appeal to my own, personal playstyle, that's all.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Will probably do the assignments that are waiting in the morning. Very tired right now :P But a headsup.
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerah »

Thanks again, Acherontia!

I picked up Cerah's plainstrider before school -- I'll play with her for a bit after I get home (in a boring journalism class in a computer lab at the moment). I'm looking forward to seeing Toeph and Leata's new assignments, but don't worry, there's no rush.

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Cerah wrote:
Sarayana wrote: Cerah, I disagree that there's no point in having the same pet - both my hunters have Clutchmother. They are very different creatures for each (though they share personality traits) and I have different attachment to the two.

By the same token, I look forward to taming the ravager on Aoani - it'll be different for her than it was for Sara and who knows, perhaps she'll keep it around when Sara didn't. ;)

Anyway, just my 2c.
I must respectfully disagree with your disagreement ;)

I just like to have a little variety in my toons, otherwise I tend to get bored. Hunters are actually the only toons whom I have multiples of the same class. Even then, I've specced them differently. Cerah's BM, Toeph's SV, and Leata's MM.

I just think with all the variety we are priveleged to have when it comes to pet choices, why have the same thing on different toons when we do have the option to do otherwise.

I'm not saying anything's wrong with taming the same pet on different toons if that's what you want to do. It just doesn't appeal to my own, personal playstyle, that's all.
Fair enough. :) I just wanted to offer another perspective. ;)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Hey, could I get a random pet? I've got two lvl 80 BM hunters, Teigan and Gryselde. I'll take one for both. :)
Sarayana

Teigan wrote:Hey, could I get a random pet? I've got two lvl 80 BM hunters, Teigan and Gryselde. I'll take one for both. :)
You know, with 24 stable slots each I'd think they don't have to share.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Anfitrite
Realm: Silver Hand, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Anfitrite »

I would really like to do this! Can I get a random pet to try out?

Already have: black devilsaur, gondria, arcturis, white wolf, armored boar, blue tiger, blue sporebat, ghost jormungar, purple tallstrider, clutchmother, purple wasp, white moth, purple raptor, the kurken, white bear, green owl, nuramoc, grey spider

name: Euromyne
BM spec :mrgreen:

edit: forgot to mention I'm level 80!
Last edited by Anfitrite on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerah »

Sarayana wrote:Fair enough. :) I just wanted to offer another perspective. ;)
No problem ;) I'm happy for you that you like your two clutchmothers.

Regaleth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Regaleth »

((Doing mine as a random bit of fiction :D ))

Stepping out onto the swirling salt flats, Regaleth could tell it was going to be a long day. He'd hunted down difficult pets before, but finding a lone scorpid in this middle of a sandstorm and the constant earthquakes was verging on ridiculous.

"Blast it, why did I enter that Random Pet Chal-" his voice was cut off by a howling wind, followed by the sound of running feet. He peered out from under his hand, and finally spotted the source of the disturbance. A lone red scorpid, skittering with all its might, was being chased down by a huge white scaled basilisk!

Running hard, the Night Elf stopped just short of the pair, throwing his hands out.

"Halt! In the name of Elune and tasty pet snacks, I claim that scorpid!" he shouted to no avail, as the basilisk kept coming. Insulted by the creature's attitude, Reg picked up his patented taming stick, and flung it at the skittering scorpid. Striking it square in the head, the creature turned suddenly, and actually smiled at him!

"Success!" he cheered. Turning towards the basilisk he pointed. "Scorpid. Killit!"

The red scorpid turned and grinned viciously, and the poor basilisk found himself being snipped and stung until it fled back into the desert.

A few days later, Regaleth was once more standing in a shattered waste...

This time it was the place called Sethekk Halls. He'd managed to slip past most of the guards, but now he was standing before the ruler of these halls, Talon King Ikiss. He smiled to himself. It was Hallow's End after all, and he hadn't gotten to trick anyone so far.

Several minutes later, his red scorpid Kirik in position, Regaleth rounded the corner, smiling at the Talon King.

"Raaaaawwwkkk! Trinketsss?" the creature squawked at him.

Regaleth shrugged, holding his hands out innocently. "Ruby?"

The bird man seemed genuinely confused. "Ruuubyyy?"

"Ruby... PATOOTEY!" he yelled, as Kirik's two clamping claws struck home.

The look on the Talon King's face was priceless. The fight that came next was slightly more predictable, but Regaleth had found his pet's true calling. Kirik the Prankster Scorpid. Together the Elf and his pet trudged home, content that a good day's work had been done, and their bond of friendship would last forever.

((Yay! I like my new scorpid pet a lot, and he'll definitely be cozy in my stables or tanking for me once he's leveled up. Not sure if I like him more than my worm or warp stalker pet yet, but he's up there.))

((I'd like to enter my horde alt, Aurellion (Lvl 16, MM) next if I may. He currently has a bat, a scorpid, and a wolf. :) ))
One more flight change from becoming the Avatar.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

((Regaleth, I loved your style report as well as the diary entry from Moonlost. ^_^
As someone who loves writing stories I'm tempted to try it. >_>
I've never RPed before, but I'll give it a try. ^_^))

Vitani flew over Sholazar Basin, trying to determine her plan for taming one of the blue and red wasps that traveled around in packs of three. It pained her to know that she would have to take down the other two wasps that she wouldn't be taming. She wasn't much of a bug person (excluding her precious tan silithid, Khepri), but she still didn't like the idea of an almost needless killing. However, the pet challenge was important to her; she liked the idea of spreading word of the different beasts of Azeroth to the hunter population.

She stopped by the wasp hive, giving a silent plea to the Hive Queen to forgive her for the deaths of two of her children. Dismounting from her Headless Horseman's mount, she scouted the best area to catch one of the patrols. Setting her freezing trap on the outskirts of the hive, she waited for the next patrol of wasps. As they came around be began encouraging the center one to trust her and build a bond with her. The other two wasps began to angrily attack Vitani. She gritted her teeth and smiled grimly once the wasp was hers. They quickly dispatched the other two wasps. Vitani said a prayer to the earth to accept their dead bodies as nourishment.

Eager to leave the zone and her dirty deed, she pulled out the smooth white stone from her pack and began gently rubbing the rune on its surface, transporting herself and her new wasp friend (whom she named Buzzkill) to Dalaran. With a sigh of relief, she popped a halloween candy into her mouth and felt herself turn into a female human pirate. Vitani giggled and headed to the center of Dal, stopping to sit on one of the benches and watch the fountain. Buzzkill positioned himself behind her and Vitani smiled. "C'mon, bud," she said, "let's go kill us some baddies in Forge of Souls."

Vitani was eager to test out her new friend, and Buzz seemed eager as well. He flew next to Vitani's side in Forge of Souls, looking around at everything and preening himself. They did well, almost like Buzz was trying to prove he was worth his salt. Pleased, they left the chilling place and flew back to Dalaran. After seeing Buzz in action, Vitani wanted to test his worth against the Alliance. They joined a Warsong Gulch match, and while she struggled a bit against some of the allies, she found that the utility Buzz provided was wonderful.

((I apologize that that was a tad long. :oops: Hopefully it's not too bad for a first attempt. I was in BM spec the entire time I've run with Buzz for now and I can't say I've quite figured out BM pvp yet, especially against geared mages and warriors so I was providing bait for a pally on our team XD.
Overall, I'm surprised to say I like my new wasp friend. I wasn't expecting to get attached to him, but his colors are super striking (although I really like the Hive Queen as well). He is a very active pet (like silithids), but since I have a silithid, it doesn't bother me too much. Buzzkill will have a place in my stables for as long as he wishes to stay. :)
Oh yes, another one please!
Vitani
80 BM/SV))

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Trinia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Greymane US & Aman'thul US

Unread post by Trinia »

Oh! Oh! Fun stuff. I'll partake in this~

Trinia, Aman'thul US~ BM/Surv. c: (Got a 29 alt as well I could tame stuff with.)

Trin has the Brown Devilsaur, Ghost Saber, White Bat, Color-Changing Rhino (Blue/Brown), Green OL style Wind Serpent, Brown NR Worg, Purple OL style Raptor, Pure-white cat from Winterspring, Kurken, and the white Warpstalker skin. c:

My alt has the tan coyote skin and Takk the Leaper's skin. c:

Florelline - Level 90 NE Guardian/Feral Druid - Greymane
Thiania - Level 90 Draenei Shadow/Holy Priest - Greymane
Trinia - Level 86 NE BM/Surv Hunter - Aman'thul
Walnut the Tyrant Devilsaur
Pearl the Ghostsaber
Itzal the Fel Windserpent
Melo the Albino Bat
Tikiniro the Warp Stalker

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Think I may sign up again, this time for my lowbie tauren hunter Kailna as an attempt to try and breathe some life into her. She's level 21; I believe she has a black raptor, a black bear and a purple hyena.

Kittykat
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Kittykat »

OK I have been following this thread with interest.

I've tried to come up with some pet challenges for myself, and I am just too indecisive.

I have two hunters, both have a BM spec. One is 79 one is 80 and well-geared (enough to hold her own in ICC25, but under 6 K lolscore).

My 80 troll hunter's pets:
White Devilsaur
Garwal wolf
Oil stained Wolf
Loquenahak
Gondria
Color-changing Ravager
Durotar Tiger (she had to re-tame her first pet, and Powderpuff was waiting for her on the very first island off the coast of Senjin Village)
Currently hunting for Arash-ethis (Zellda) the windserpent she released back to the wild a while back.
EDIT: WOOT! Zellda was flying slowly along the highlands of Feralas this evening, and she is HOME!

My 79 Belf hunter's pets:
White Corehound
Arcturis
Clutchmother
Ghostsaber
Color changing Drakkari Raptor
Arikara (the one who used to *poof* in a cloud of smoke when summoned)

I am willing to try out any pet, and I don't care if either of them have duplicates, or if a pet is same species with different skin.
Last edited by Kittykat on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

Oh I REALLY like this idea!! I'd love to sign up for a random pet!
I got back into the habit of reading the Petopia forums a few months back, since I knew Cata was coming and my hunters are always my first to level cap (they are my "scouts" for the new areas). Over the last month, encouraged by my now fellow guildy Petopians and others on these forums, I've tried a few families I've never tried before, or skins I never looked at twice, and I've found lifelong friends!

Please, expand my mind and stables!

I have a L80 BM troll huntress, Ikult. She often uses Spirit Beasts (mainly Loque, he is literally her Precious).
I have a L23 (and counting) tauren huntress, Cause. She's been having a blast with Mazzranche, Echeyakee, and a new baby Ravager.

I've never used: gorillas, turtles, hyenas, sporebats, nether rays, moths, crabs, crocodiles (although I have the Hydradile), rhinos, scorpids, or chimaeras.
I've rarely used Ravagers (currently on my baby Cause), spiders, wasps, dragonhawks, boars, serpents, birds of prey, and bats (I had a bat from 1-60 back in Vanilla; I miss them having Screech SO BADLY!)

There is no rush, and thank you!!
EDIT: I do not mind trying same families with different skins! Sometimes a different skin makes ALL the difference between "meh" and "omg bestest friend!"
Sarayana

Alright, here's what I've learned: As long as I toss Aoani into the challenge, Acherontia will pick a pet I like. :lol:

I was assigned an orange ravager from Azuremyst. Vephriel offered to come along, and Cause decided to come and see what pets might be interesting on the Draenei shores. :) After flexing out FOR THE HORDE macros and running skills in Auberdine, we skirted around that giant mess the Draenei call a city and found the ravagers.
The tame went perfectly well, in spite of Veph's croc's best efforts. He was appropriately scolded and soon he and the ravager were buddies. :)
I named him Rust to fit Aoani's colour-name scheme. It's also a great name because it instantly imbued him with a ton of personality.

Cause was torn between the green ravager and the blue moth, but eventually settled on the ravager:

Then, because we'd come all that way, we started talking about what other pets were available. Once Veph remembered the zombear, Cause had to had it, and we dodged satyrs and lunged off waterfalls to get to him!

Afterwards, the ravagers got into a ton of trouble...
Rust, the lil' bugger, decided to scale the cliff face. Poison, Cause's ravager, decided to play tag, and even Skorn got in on the fun. Vephriel also tamed a green ravager (I forget what you named him, sorry!) and the three of them were rambunctious and disobedient until we put on our "just wait til we get home" faces. Then they settled down for a nice sunset picture which, unfortunately, didn't come out.

Today, I decided to do the second part of the challenge. We ran a dungeon:
Rust did remarkably well. I'm not sure how he compared to other pets since every ding is a jump in dps, but we were top o' the charts through all the dungeons we did. He was also really well behaved. Perhaps he got it all out of his system back on Bloodmyst... Yeah yeah, a person can hope.

Rust also went candy bucketing with me:

He's really great company and loves talking political philosophy and current world events on long flights. Haha no, not really. But unlike Sara, Aoani really enjoys having this bugger around. :)

We went and scoured wowhead until we found a level-appropriate elite. Rust was eager to get started and petemote appropriately spat out "Rust peers around, looking for prey."
The fight went ok - Gorlash went down and we were still standing. Rust took more of a beating than Argenta, my croc, but he held up well and did great damage. Gorlash didn't stand a chance.

Not only has Rust completely convinced me of the value of ravagers, he's also sold me on cunning pets! He's a lil' wonder, all wrapped up in black and orange spikes and teeth. And an exoskeleton. *hugs Rust*

Acherontia, thank you for this. :) I'll wait a bit before doing another challenge, but I love both pets you've tossed my way, and I'm happy to report that both Rust and Garnet (Azzere) are frolicking in my stables. :D
Attachments
rusttame.jpeg
rusttame.jpeg (235.17 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
poisontame.jpeg
poisontame.jpeg (201.03 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
wallscaling.jpeg
wallscaling.jpeg (244.29 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
uldamanready.jpeg
uldamanready.jpeg (195.1 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
candybucket.jpeg
candybucket.jpeg (235.85 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
lookingforprey.jpeg
lookingforprey.jpeg (160.84 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
whoa.jpeg
whoa.jpeg (184.71 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I love the stories you guys did with the pictures, great job!!! :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ooh right! Sunset pictures that the murloc had to ruin. :lol:

Sarayana

Thanks Veph! Great pictures. Haha, I forgot about that annoying murloc. :lol:

I love how you can see the size difference so clearly between mine (he was 36 at the time) and Cause's (must have been 16) but less clearly between ours... Really shows how pet growth is more noticeable at lower levels.

Thank you, both of you, for coming along. I had a great time. :hug:

Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

That was an absolutely delightful surprise, heading out with you to tame pets in enemy territory! Thank you again, Veph, for letting little Cause on your awesome rocket!

Gosh, I never have liked Ravagers.. til that night. Them playing tag was just hilarious to watch, scaling that sheer cliff together!! And my zombear and I are doing great- he has a new name, Goreheart, and he's a complete doll.

Thank you for dragging me along!
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Right, sorry for the delay :shock: When I finally came on to do these, the forums were down >.> Had to come back to it!

For Cerah (Toeph):

http://wow-petopia.com/look/direwolfskindarkblack.html

For Cerah (Leata):

http://wow-petopia.com/look/tarantulaskingreen.html

For Ziz:

http://wow-petopia.com/look/boarskinivory.html

For Rhyela:

http://wow-petopia.com/look/silithidtankskinblue.html

If you don't like that one, or if it's too close to your yellow silithid to be much "new," try:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/crabskinivory.html

For Areon:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/scorpionskinblack.html

For Teigan (Teigan):

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/tarantulaskingreen.html

For Teigan (Gryselde):

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/raptors ... green.html

(If you have either of these already, or have done 'em in the past just shout!)

For Anfitrite/Euromyne:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/serpentskinblue.html

For Trinia:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/netherrayskinblack.html

For Trinia's Alt:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/dragonhawkskin01.html

...It rolled a Spirit Beast for your main originally (I didn't roll further to see which) but somehow I think that would have been a bit much for this test :lol: As for the alt--hoping it's Horde? If not, I can happily reroll for you.

For Moonlost's Lowbie:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/minespiderskincave.html

For Kittykat's 80:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/carrion ... tland.html

For Kittykat's 79:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/silithi ... skin3.html

For Ikult's 80:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/ridingr ... idian.html

For Ikult's lowbie:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/hyenaskinorange.html

As usual, if I missed anyone, duplicated a pet or gave you one that you can't tame for whatever reason, just shout please. Also, I LOVE the stories you guys are posting, and the screenies are just epic :D Keep 'em coming!! ^^