Random Pet Challenge: Stepping Out of the Box!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rathan
Realm: Blades edge

Re: Random Pet Challenge: Stepping Out of the Box!

Unread post by Rathan »

lvl 80 BM ready for a go at this
Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )

Unread post by Quin »

I'd love to give it a try. I have a few extra stable slots. :D

Kyloriel.
Level 80 Beast Master Hunter on Wyrmrest Accord.
Quiniel Suncrier

Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Firewing's Scout Report: Fear

Okay. I had diffculty going for the red version for multiple reasons. One: It was in Blackrock, which, as level 60, I never did much of, never got the Shadowforge Key, and had no idea what I was doing. I didn't have Core attunement, but I couldn't get what I needed, lacking said key. Two: I had sold and gotten rid most of my Krush gear, figuring I didn't need it anymore. After all, I had my prize.

So, I had choice but to go with second best: The green one. Same model, different color. So, heading out after Urovos, (spelling) because hey, he's special and it was that or his spawn, I down whatever haste potions I had left from my Krush adventures, and I begin. He was rather like Krush, fears and can't be frozen. Very uneventful though. Never feared during the last for or five seconds I wasn't protected. Frankly, I was disappointed.

Named him Fear, ironically, because his past life was supposed to do that, but never did.

* Try tanking an 80 elite with your pet
Tried killing a Pustulent Horror, got it to half health before Fear went down and I feigned. Some aggro issues.
* Do a heroic
I avoided heroics because of his size. It was like a flying pet, he was huge and it irked me, chances are it'd irk others.
* Do a battleground
Did that. Died a lot. Some rogue kept targeting me for a kill, so I died quite a bit. We did take on a druid by ourselves, however, and killed it...
* Check the pet out in different lightings
In Shattrath, he's a pretty dark green, in Dalaran, he lightens up a bit.
* Check out swimming and possibly levitate animations (if any)
His swimming animation is okay. He kind of does a STROKEstrokestrokeSTROKE kind of swim. Teeny legs make it hard to swim, I guess.

Other Info:

He eats meat, which is predominantly what everyone else in my stables eats. No problem there. I didn't like the huge amounts of mist and drool he produced, though. It made him seem a lot bigger and more conspicuous then my other pets. Plus, it looks like he's crying slime. Sounds were irksome, it was a hissing rattle that annoyed me. I don't play much with sound, luckily, so it wasn't that bad.

In general, it was an okay pet. Fear was okay, not a keeper though. I don't think I'll get another of him come Cata. Just don't like this model of corehound.
Mockingbird
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub (EU)

Unread post by Mockingbird »

I'll chip in,

Dirtyprotest (On Horde, Azjol-Nerub EU, feel free to come over and say Hi!)
Level 69 BM (feel free to pick anything up to 71, I'm levelling pretty fast and will probably allocate at least a week to this project).

Currently have: (and would therefore prefer not to repeat):
Image Image Image Image
(hope it's ok to hotlink from Petopia, if not let me know and I'll try and rehost).
Daranara
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Daranara »

Reporting back with my crabby results!

Hunter:
Daranara

Pet:
ivory-skinned crab, I picked the fjord crawler since he was closest.

Pet name:
Ben, by sheer virtue of every crab I try to use is named Ben.

First Impressions:
Crabs are one of those pets I want to try and like, but they never seem to stick. Ben here was no exception. I want to like them, in the way that I want to like ALL pets, but there's nothing to make them stand out to me.

Visuals:
Ben was pretty disappointing, all things considered. There's nothing WRONG with crab colorings/animations per se, but the ivory skin has never been something I like, and it did not grow on me during our time together. While I do enjoy white pets, he is just a sort of sickly pale I don't enjoy. Not even his cute little green stripes could save him.

As far as animations go, they're pretty standard. I found his running animation pretty cute; he seems almost a determined marcher. His near-constant idle looking around, though, makes him seem restless with me. Pretty fitting, since I was always pretty restless with him.

Did not check out levitate, but his weird little swimming animation was kind of cute. He has no jump animation! This amuses me, in that instead of jumping he just kind of shuffles in place while an invisible person seems to pick him up and put him down again. It did make me wonder if spiders have jumping animations...

Diet:
While the rest of my stable eats meat, Ben eats underspore pods, which I pretty much carry on me all the time for Jerk, so I had no problems feeding him.

Leet skillz?:
Pin... is nice in theory, I guess. I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure he growls/stomps/what have you while doing that, which makes it non-ideal for threat, which is kinda lame. And let's face it, if I'm not big on the family skill, I'm not likely to want to use the pet, unless I -really- like the skin, so...

Action!:
PVP with me is a crapshoot regardless of pet, so I can't really give any idea if he died any more or less than my usual pets.

After leveling him to 77 without hitting a heroic queue, I gave up on that and decided to hit up some of the pustulent horrors in icecrown and see how he did there. He actually surprised me by managing to handle the level 81 one I tried. Yeah, I had to feign and be diligent with the mend pet, but he performed pretty well. Moving on to a level 82 one proved too much for him, though.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Taken shortly after taming. Probably the high point in our relationship.

All in all, an interesting experiment. Would I get him again? Ehh.... in a different color, maybe. This is definitely my least favorite color of the bunch, though, so if I do it will not be this particular crab again.

Daranara - Night Elflet Huntar - Lightbringer US
Gearfeathers on FR

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Haha, he has so much personality in that last picture! xD It seems like he's purposely avoiding he camera, looking to the side all grumpy or huffy.
Daranara
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Daranara »

Vephriel wrote:Haha, he has so much personality in that last picture! xD It seems like he's purposely avoiding he camera, looking to the side all grumpy or huffy.
He must have known we weren't going to be getting along very well.

Daranara - Night Elflet Huntar - Lightbringer US
Gearfeathers on FR

rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

ah to bad I don't have any free stableslots and I love my pets all to much, How about I take the challenge when I get my 20 stables I heard that their giving them before cata.

EDIT: i'm going to try this contest now actually I'm releasing undeath and getting her back in cata or at least when we get more stables, i'll miss her in between, oh yes and I am a beastmaster just whatever you do please unless you have to geive a spirit beast I am an anti-spirit beast hunter.
Last edited by rubybeam on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'll be freeing up a stable slot tonight, so I'm in!!! SV is my main spec with BM as an offspec. I would prefer a non-exotic, however, since the whole reason I'm going to have a free spot tonight is because I prefer more non-exotic pets in my stables.

My current pets are King Krush, Loque'nahak, Snarler, and Rak'shiri. I will be releasing Gondria (with a little bit of sadness, but I know I can get her back later).

Hit me with your best shot!!!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Right!!

Thanks so much for the reviews so far, it's fun to see what people make of these random pets :D

For Phantomwolf:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... imson.html

For Arrol:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... inred.html

For Dewclaw's Alt:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... inred.html

A bit of a challenging tame, I guess, but I'm sure you can manage :P

For Cryptography:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... kin05.html

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... urple.html

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... iolet.html

I'm aware the first two may be serious challenges, especially considering your level; if you want different ones let me know.

For Rathan:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/mobs/mo ... skate.html

(I LOVE this one, enjoy :D)

For Kyloriel:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... black.html

For Dirtyprotest:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... land4.html

For Rhyela:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... black.html

As usual, if I've made any mistakes (overlooking a level or spec restriction etc) just yell :)

My own review will have to be put on hold for now. My account sub ran out and it'll be a few days at least before I reactivate I think. I've had to find a random number generator site to get random pets for you all :lol:

Keep 'em coming folks, I'm finding this fascinating :)
rubybeam

um i'm sorry if i'm being a bitch right now but I was kinda skipped, Sorry if I just bugged someone but this callenge really interests me
Vephriel

It could have been because you edited your post afterwards. At first you said you couldn't participate, and not everyone goes back to read old posts for edits.
rubybeam

I know ah i'm sorry for being a bitch honestly
Phantomwolf
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Korialstrasz

Unread post by Phantomwolf »

Tanking an 80 elite - was for some reason easy. With the exception of having to mend pet alot. XD, it was very fun. Leveling was also a nice experiance since I needed a pet that was non-exotic and I could tank with. Now I can tank weather I am BM or MM.

Heroic & BG - He survived well enough in the Battleground and in the Heroic, not much of a damage dealer but I still enjoyed seeing that thunderclap go up every few seconds.

Swiming, levitation, and lightting - He looks good in different lights, his swimming animation was the way I exspected any piggy who hadn't touched water to look like. He matches me I think, I love the skin but perhaps a darker shade of brown.

Food - Not very hard to feed, threw him some Northern Stew and he loved the stuff [of course what pet dosn't love my cooking] XD.

When he charges into battle his little charging snort makes me giggle sometimes. I always loved boars because they all seemed to have a certain character about them that just made them enjoyable. I shall tame a boar after all this, maybe keep this one. I love boars but the skin on this one is not what I was aiming for. Perhaps the black one or dark brown one, but all the same I enjoyed him greatly. I named him Takeshi, which means fierce; warrior.

This is Phantomwolf, and I am a Beast Master. Here me...snort?
Wolf and Boar.jpg
Wolf and Boar.jpg (161.45 KiB) Viewed 898 times
"Thanks to Veph for the awesome siggy! I love you!"
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Agent Giordana reporting in.

So I tamed the blue moth and starting working with her.
Initial stuff.
* Try tanking an 80 elite with your pet
Tried and died and the last minute. Was in the Basin doing some dailies.
* Do a heroic
Did the random LK heroic. She faired well and didn't seem to get in the way. I warned the group why I was there. They found the idea 'cool' and didn't seem to mind. We rocked!
* Do a battleground
Never made it into this.
* Check the pet out in different lightings
She and I were all over and she seems to really maintain her brightness and ranges most variants of blue.
* Check out swimming and possibly levitate animations (if any)
Animation seemed the same as on land only slower wing motion.

I didn't do full PvP battleground but did get involved in a skirmish in Stormwind when a couple of horde toons felt brave and tried to run through. She and I went on the sole attack of a belf who ran in fear at the vicious attack moth coming at him. We killed him and got the honor kill. She faired well and didn't seem to really lose any health and kicked his ass.

Over all I can say I'm impressed with the moth as a ferocity. If you're doing PvP this could be a good pet since it's completely unsuspecting and has pretty good dps. I had her specked for only dps.

If you fancy something different that little to no people have, is extremely unsuspecting then a moth just may be a good match for you.

I will be releasing her as I am not bonded to her but she's been a lot of fun to work with.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Apologies Rubybeam, I was working on the last post for awhile, so I'm not sure if I missed your edit or what :D

Came up with yet ANOTHER wind serpent for you ;D And don't worry, when I roll spirit beast, I re-roll--no point asking people to camp a spirit beast for weeks just for this :P

For Rubybeam:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skins/s ... nred2.html

Phantomwolf: I think that boar goes SURPRISINGLY well with you! I quite like it, and glad to hear you had some fun with him.

Giordana: The mental image of a blue moth being "fierce" had me in stitches, I can totally picture the embarrassment of someone dying to one :P
Vephriel

Acherontia wrote:Phantomwolf: I think that boar goes SURPRISINGLY well with you! I quite like it, and glad to hear you had some fun with him.
I agree, they look so well matched! ^^
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Acherontia wrote:Giordana: The mental image of a blue moth being "fierce" had me in stitches, I can totally picture the embarrassment of someone dying to one :P
That is exactly why I have Moth the Mighty, originally Aspatha the Broofmother on Stereo. :D

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I must try this!

Name: Rassaa
Spec: BM Off-spec, MM main spec.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Quin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US )

Unread post by Quin »

Hmmm, is it possible to request a new pet roll since I've tried the Core Hound?

:oops: A friend and I two-manned the instance and I got one, but never really enjoyed him. I tried him for a few days, but the loud noises and huge backside in my screen were annoying.
Quiniel Suncrier

Mini-Pet Collection - Mount Collection - Tabard Collection

Many thanks to Ket Shi for the lovely signature and Moonlost for the wonderful avatar!