Please Recommend Pets for Variety of Situations

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kamchatka
Realm: Shadowmoon

Please Recommend Pets for Variety of Situations

Unread post by Kamchatka »

I tamed Arcturis and am somewhat disappointed with his performance.

So far, my boar and wolf seem to take the top spot although I haven't been raiding.

Can anybody recommend the best pets for 1) soloing 2) pvp 3) raiding?

I'm looking at the tailstrider and crab for PVP and may want to keep my board and wolf. Should I be losing one of my ferocity or tenacity for a cunning?

Thanks in advance!

Kamchatka
Saturo

Re: Please Recommend Pets for Variety of Situations

Unread post by Saturo »

Tenacity= Bear, Worm if BM
Ferocity= Wolf, Devilsaur if BM
Cunning=Spider, Silithid if BM

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kamchatka

saturo wrote:Tenacity= Bear, Worm if BM
Ferocity= Wolf, Devilsaur if BM
Cunning=Spider, Silithid if BM
Thanks for the great suggestions. I think I'm going to shift away from BM specific pets as I may change spec once I hit 80. I love my boar b/c he's been with me forever so maybe I'll keep him and add the spider and crab.

Thanks again.
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

raiding - wolf
pvp - crab
soloing -bear or turtle worm was nice for me

just my personal exp with them

though when i was BM i use my spirit beast [gondira or actturis] and a few times my worm

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

Kamchatka

kairii wrote:raiding - wolf
pvp - crab
soloing -bear or turtle worm was nice for me

just my personal exp with them

though when i was BM i use my spirit beast [gondira or actturis] and a few times my worm
Do you know if the tailstrider is good for anything? I like the pink one!
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

well my sister has both pink and blue one .. though she isnt the best hunter i did a few bg's for her using the pink one its ok maybe for arena ill try it next but it only works on melee so its ok if you have him use it on a target aiming to hit you
and yes it does work on ranged but melee hurt me more :(

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Kamchatka wrote: Do you know if the tailstrider is good for anything? I like the pink one!
They are apparently pretty good for raiding too, if you time the Dust Cloud effect right. It's effective on raid bosses too, and stopping a major attack at just the right moment can be a real blessing.

As far as damage goes though, you'd want to stick to wolves or devilsaurs, they'll boost your damage more. Other pets notable in raids include wasps, raptors and spirit beasts, as far as I know.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Bikutandabis
Realm: Nazgrel, (US), Lightbringer (EU)

Unread post by Bikutandabis »

One of the big pluses for me, while playing a Hunter, is the huge choices of pets available to us.
Bikutanda is a level 80 Hunter, with the max number of stable slots available. All slots have a pet stabled, plus the pet that is currently out at his side.
Most people that are leveling go with a Beastmaster talent spec, as this is considered to be the fastest for leveling.
Some folk suggest to go with a ferocity pet as the main solo pet, others like a tenacity pet. There will be times that I will need a more robust pet, so I go with my bear. I much prefer the ferocity pet for solo work.

The min/max people have graphs and whatnot that show the Devilsaur, then Raptor as the highest DPS pets. I have found that the survivability of the Devilsaur in dungeons and raids is pretty bad. This pet has a large "hitbox" compared to other pets.

I have Gondria, Loque’nahak, a wolf, a core hound, a bear.
Since I tamed Loque’nahak, this is my solo pet of choice.
For groups etc, it depends on the situation. The core hound is good against casters.
The wolf is good for my secondary marksmanship talent spec.
A Spirit Beast has a "magic" cast, of the Arcane field, that gives both instant damage, and damage-over-time.

Now besides all that I have said, I strongly suggest that the Hunter test all pets available to us. There will be a pet type that will be just the one that you are comfortable with. Whatever it is, and no matter what some people will say to you, just go with that pet. It could be a Tallstrider, a Turtle, a Moose, who cares! If you like it, feed it well!
Bikutanda aka Birdienumnum, Bikutandabis
US Nazgrel
EU Lightbringer
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Bikutanda wrote:There will be a pet type that will be just the one that you are comfortable with. Whatever it is, and no matter what some people will say to you, just go with that pet.
Yeah, this pretty much. :)

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

The whole thing with different pets for different situations is greatly overrated. Just pick one that you like that does good damage and stick with it. I personally have never and would never use anything but a high dps pet from the ferocity tree. They will do just fine in any situation. They will build threat very fast and also maintain it very well.
Azzrazzah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary is the Shizznit,

Unread post by Azzrazzah »

I have my Wolf from Mulgor for raids
2 Spirit Beasts.. Fun for soloing... Arcturis and skoll
2 Spirits of... Hydra and Oozling.. Will never get rid of them... They are no longer tamable..
I find that as Survival talent... Wolf is best..
like the above poster stated in dungeons the Devilsaurs are somewhat awkward being their size and huge hit area.. They have a tendancy to block people from targeting shots/spells, and that tends to piss off people in your group... Outdoor raids they are great..
With the wolf you get the extra raid/group buff and a smaller hit area.
I Don't PVP; but I have heard about turtles and birds and spiders being good for PVP...
And for solo work.. Just run around with what ever beast you want

I Came...I Saw...I Tamed

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

For raiding, you pretty much want a Wolf as Furious Howl is hands-down the best pet ability for boosting your DPS. However, you may also consider a Wasp for it's armour debuffing Sting if you do not have a Feral Druid casting Faerie Fire or a Warlock casting Curse Of Weakness (and really, no Warlock is going to nerf their DPS by casting that).
The Dust Cloud debuff that Tallstriders apply also makes bosses miss attacks so your raid might like that, but you'd want to discuss with them whether they feel this is advantageous. Chances are that they want the Hunter doing maximum DPS however.

For PVP, Spiders for Web is great, Crab for Pin, Hyaena for Tendon Rip (great for snagging flag runners and gives you a movement imparing ability in a DPS pet) or birds of prey for Snatch are all solid choices. I think PVP gives Hunters the most diversity of choice next to soloing.

In soloing, just go with what you like the best as it's there that you are not confined by needs. That said it's a good idea to have a good Tenacity pet like a Bear or Crocolisk available for soloing group fights.
Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar, Mug'thol

Unread post by Rarako »

Personally the best thing to do is try out pets to see what matches your play style, a wolf might be best for raiding but if you can't work well with them do to the way you function as a hunter and/or don't care for them nothing will make you want to work with one. As far as what is considered the best this is what normally goes:

BM
Raiding: Devilsaur, Spirit Beast, Wolf, Cat, Raptor
PVP: Chimaera, Silithid, Spider, Bird of Pray, Hyena, Worm, Core Hound, Crab, Ravager. Pretty much any pet will work to one extent or another.
Soloing: Tanking- Bear, Worm, Warp Stalker, Turtle, Crocolisks. Non-Tank- anything you want

MM or SV
Raiding: Wolf, Cat, Raptor, or if you run with the same folks and there is a debuff that is not represented then a pet that can fill that need might be a good choice. IE, if you have no Druid (or one that refuses to Faerie Fire) then a Spore Bat might help out the group more than your DPS alone.
PVP: Spider, Hyena, Crab, Ravager
Soloing: Tanking- Bear, Warp Stalker, Turtle, Crocolisks. Non-Tank- anything you want

Hope that helps.

Many thanks to Vephriel for the amazing sig!