Guide: Taming Toughies

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Guide: Taming Toughies

Unread post by Ryno »

This guide is for those darn beasties that have stuns and the like that always interrupt you or mess ya up.

This will be a general guide, not detailing any specific beast.

First, let me say that you should be level 20 before attempting any really stun beast taming. The main reason behind this is because at 20 you learn frost trap, an invaluable asset for taming beasts. Unfortunately, rank 1 only lasts for 10 seconds, and taming takes 20 seconds (without racials/haste bonuses). What's a hunter to do then for those other 10 seconds?

Well first, you get yourself far away enough from the beast you're trying to tame so that you're in range to use your ranged attacks. Once you're in a close enough spot, lay down a frost trap. Then, open up with concussive shot on the lil' bugger. After that you can start casting tame ASAP. Now, with this method, you will have 5 seconds of time when there is no trap up. In a good scenario, that will be enough, hehe.

But if the beast your trying to tame is a real nasty, then you can try a different approach*.

Get to firing range, just like before. Lay down a trap. Then, wait until your trap cooldown is up. After that, fire at the beastie, and let them hit your trap. Step back a few steps, and lay down the trap again as fast as you can after they hit the one you have up. Step back a little more, and start taming. With luck you'll get a good chunk of time with them in the ice, with little trouble bagging them.

If the beast you're after is desperately nasty, and high level, you'll need some help.

Classes that can help you, and how (not including raw healing):

Shaman - Heroism/Blood Lust is a great way to shave off 33% of your cast time.

Rogue - Having a rogue strip down to just weapons can help, as I had one do that to help me once. With just his underoos on, he got combo points up on the mob I was trying to tame, and got off a kidney shot on them, giving me an extra few seconds.

Paladin - Hammer of Justice can stun a mob for a few more seconds, always helpful.

Priest - Some beasts fear you during a fight, which can interupt tame and cause all sorts of trouble. Fear ward can help a lot for this, eating up one fear effect (not to be confused with horror effects, darn terminology). Priests also can bubble, if you're careful to establish aggro first.

Druids - Ah, the druid. Hibernate is a beast/dragonkin only sleep spell that lasts quite awhile. If the beast isn't immune to it, it's probably the easiest way to tame something with a stun or such.

Mage - Sheeping a beast can work the same way as a druid's hibernate, offering lots of time for the tame to get done.

Hunter - What? That's right, another hunter can help you quite a bit! If frost traps are the game, then that gives you another ice trap to be laying down! Not to mention the misdirect from the other hunter can help get you even farther away to start taming, eh?

That's it for now, if I think of anything I'll add it. Or if you know any tricks, post them also (and yes, I realize I didn't post about any haste buffing items, but those help a lot too. Haste potions, trinkets, quest rewards, etc. help a lot to get your taming spell completed faster)!

Edit update:
Kalliope wrote:For taming fearing beasts, you can also pop BW at the top of the tame, then quickly ABANDON (not dismiss) your old pet. Given, the effect of BW doesn't last as long as it used to, but if you can pull it off, it's extra insurance.

If you're on a PvP server trying to tame a difficult beastie, having friends of ANY class around is always helpful. I will never NEVER forget the clutch cyclone that enabled me to tame King Krush (take THAT, rude warrior!).
Edit update:
Yaone wrote:Don't forget you can also have your rogue friend sap the beast! I know it works cause I sap Pitch while on my rogue all the time when he is guarding ore! :twisted: And it lasts awhile to! ;)
Edit update:
VelkynKarma wrote:Do remember that Sap only works until the pet is brought into combat, though. I'm pretty sure if a hunter tapped the pet for taming, sap would break. Mostly, it'll just keep the pet from moving/engaging in combat until the hunter and rogue friend can clear the area.
Edit update:
Hunta123 wrote:BTW Just something we all forgot
Aspect of The Monkey :D
18 (20 if Night Elf) Bonus chance to dodge!!!
Edit update:
kamoodle5 wrote:Even maximizing the talent for Improved Aspect of the Monkey can help with the dodge a bit.
Edit update:
Shinryu Masaki wrote:The Vile Fumigator's Mask is a great alternative to Freezing Trap and Freezing Arrow for hunters looking to tame elite beasts, considering the "stun" effect last 10 seconds more than the channel time of Tame Beast. I was wondering if some mobs could be immune to it, so just in case I went to UBRS and tried it on The Beast, and saw in the combat log that it was in fact immune to it, so it's pretty much guarantied that King Krush won't be affected either. A shame, but since it does work very well on other beasts it is still quite valuable.
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50741

Edit update:
OzRalia wrote:Also for taming toughie's, there is a <Glyph of freezing trap> May be worth using that which will slow movement by 30% for 4 seconds after freezing trap breaks. Good luck...
Last edited by Ryno on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:54 am, edited 9 times in total.

Hunta123
Realm: Earthen Ring

Re: Guide: Taming Toughies

Unread post by Hunta123 »

Hey Thank For The Help Can I Say This I Tamed A Swoop Before 20 (Frost Trap) And I Think not sure but mobs that knock down only try once every while so if you let a Swoop beat you for a while after it knocks you down start taming :)
Good Luck
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Hunta123 wrote:Hey Thank For The Help Can I Say This I Tamed A Swoop Before 20 (Frost Trap) And I Think not sure but mobs that knock down only try once every while so if you let a Swoop beat you for a while after it knocks you down start taming :)
Good Luck
Good point, I forgot to mention this. Timing is another way to avoid a few interrupters. Thanks Hunta123. :)

Storytime
Realm: Aggramar

Unread post by Storytime »

Just to verify... Do you mean frost trap or freeze trap?
Hunta123

Storytime wrote:Just to verify... Do you mean frost trap or freeze trap?
Freezing Trap :D
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

For taming fearing beasts, you can also pop BW at the top of the tame, then quickly ABANDON (not dismiss) your old pet. Given, the effect of BW doesn't last as long as it used to, but if you can pull it off, it's extra insurance.

If you're on a PvP server trying to tame a difficult beastie, having friends of ANY class around is always helpful. I will never NEVER forget the clutch cyclone that enabled me to tame King Krush (take THAT, rude warrior!).

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Hunta123 wrote:
Storytime wrote:Just to verify... Do you mean frost trap or freeze trap?
Freezing Trap :D
I get them mixed up, after all these years... :cry:

Jolyroger
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Draenor, Atiesh (Classic)

Unread post by Jolyroger »

I think my guide for taming the ZG Raptor without a raid group is still in the archive. It was fun when my son and I figured it out when lvl 60 was the max. Sneaking into ZG was awesome.
Jolyroger: Worgen Hunter (Draenor)
Dirus: Night Elf Hunter (Atiesh/Classic)
Shaylis: Night Elf Hunter (Atiesh/Classic)
sirkendo
Realm: Cenarion Circle

Unread post by sirkendo »

About mage sheeping: I can confirm this works. I oftentimes will sheep a mob to make it easier on a hunter to tame.

The few times I've discovered Loque'Nahak in Sholazar basin, I'll sheep her and pull her away from the spawn point to keep people from killing Loque. Then I'll whisper hunters until i find one who replies and wants the spirit beast. I never charge for this 'service'. I just like seeing a hunter happy.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Jolyroger wrote:I think my guide for taming the ZG Raptor without a raid group is still in the archive. It was fun when my son and I figured it out when lvl 60 was the max. Sneaking into ZG was awesome.
Ah, I remember reading that back in the day. That was when solo taming instance pets was fun times, hehe. Most high level dungeons now don't have much to tame unfortunately. Unless you feel tenacious for King Dred.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

sirkendo wrote:About mage sheeping: I can confirm this works. I oftentimes will sheep a mob to make it easier on a hunter to tame.

The few times I've discovered Loque'Nahak in Sholazar basin, I'll sheep her and pull her away from the spawn point to keep people from killing Loque. Then I'll whisper hunters until i find one who replies and wants the spirit beast. I never charge for this 'service'. I just like seeing a hunter happy.
:shock:
Epic nice man.
And thanks for helping me reconfirm this. I know I've done it in the past, just wasn't sure if it still worked since several patches. Last time I used it must have been sometime in BC I think. Probably.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

sirkendo wrote:About mage sheeping: I can confirm this works. I oftentimes will sheep a mob to make it easier on a hunter to tame.

On behalf of hunters everywhere, <3.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

Don't forget you can also have your rogue friend sap the beast! I know it works cause I sap Pitch while on my rogue all the time when he is guarding ore! :twisted: And it lasts awhile to! ;)
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Yaone wrote:Don't forget you can also have your rogue friend sap the beast! I know it works cause I sap Pitch while on my rogue all the time when he is guarding ore! :twisted: And it lasts awhile to! ;)
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. The Sneaky is even more useful than I originally thought. ;)

Hunta123

BTW Just something we all forgot
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Hunta123 wrote:BTW Just something we all forgot
I'm not sure if dodge plays a part when taming. I think you get hit with everything the (future) pet has, with no armor.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Dodge, immunity and absorption work like normal.

Armor however...

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Saturo wrote:Dodge, immunity and absorption work like normal.

Armor however...
Mmk. I'll go ahead and fix that then.

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Ryno wrote:
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. The Sneaky is even more useful than I originally thought. ;)

Do remember that Sap only works until the pet is brought into combat, though. I'm pretty sure if a hunter tapped the pet for taming, sap would break. Mostly, it'll just keep the pet from moving/engaging in combat until the hunter and rogue friend can clear the area.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Hunta123

OK Just thought it would help :) I Dont know how to quote or reply or anything but this about suggesting Aspect of Monkey/Dragonhawk!