hunter dungeon help please

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Gozu
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

hunter dungeon help please

Unread post by Gozu »

I am new to random dungeon finder but would like to try it, I always did dungeons alone. I hope more experienced hunters here will have a moment to help.

Is bestial wrath or kill shot ok to use in a dungeon? or should the pet always just linger on the outside very quietly, lightly hitting mobs?

Is Volley ok to use when there is a group surrounding the tank? I have seen other hunters play in dungeon and they never use volley, just one shot at a time. Is this correct? (at the same time warlocks and others are all using AoE attack, the few hunters I watched still just one shot at a time)

Is it always mandatory to bring a cat or wolf? When I queue for PvP sometimes I'm out in the field farming. Will someone rage on me if I by chance show up with a spirit beast or a gorilla?

I'm really sorry if these are stupid questions, I've googled but can't find help on these particular things, i feel stupid :oops: Thanks in advance for any help.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: hunter dungeon help please

Unread post by Vephriel »

Bestial Wrath and Kill Shot are definitely good to use in a dungeon. Some people save Bestial Wrath for boss fights, but personally I pop it whenever it's available.

Volley is great to use on big groups, just ensure that the tank's had enough time to accumulate aggro so that you don't pull them off. Always have Feign Death ready in case you should accidentally pull them though.

In low level dungeons you can pretty much use whatever pet you wish. In heroics it's recommended to bring a Wolf, but seriously as long as it's a good ferocity pet there shouldn't be issues. Feel free to use whichever pet you prefer, I've never had any complaints from using my Devilsaur in heroics and such.
Jeydis
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Arathor / Arthas - US

Unread post by Jeydis »

Is bestial wrath or kill shot ok to use in a dungeon? or should the pet always just linger on the outside very quietly, lightly hitting mobs?
Of course they are ok to use in dungeons, upping your DPS is always a good thing.
Is Volley ok to use when there is a group surrounding the tank? I have seen other hunters play in dungeon and they never use volley, just one shot at a time. Is this correct? (at the same time warlocks and others are all using AoE attack, the few hunters I watched still just one shot at a time)
Its perfectly fine to volley, just make sure there are enough mobs with high enough HP to have time to cast and get some damage in. If the enemies are too weak then he volley will barely have time to do anything and your DPS will drop. Always remember to give the tank a couple seconds on groups to take the aggro correctly with either thunderclap or cleave and what not so you dont take the aggro away with your high dmg volley or multishot.
Is it always mandatory to bring a cat or wolf? When I queue for PvP sometimes I'm out in the field farming. Will someone rage on me if I by chance show up with a spirit beast or a gorilla?
Its up to you, any pet can do, though if you have your gorilla out make sure to turn off his aggro skills so he doesnt annoy the tank by pulling off him.

Jeydis on Arathor-US
Click HERE to request a Signature or Avatar from me!
~~~~~~~~~
Flight Rising Lair

Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Unread post by Jakkra »

I don't normally use BM in dungeons, but kill shot you'll definitely want to use! You'll find that you don't get a chance to use it as much on just trash pulls, but on bosses, you'll have plenty of time to burst them down ;)

What I generally try to do, for group pulls, is I Misdirect the tank-> multi shot-> volley-> feign death-> volley It helps your tank keep aggro, and gives you some nice dps to spare.

I've seen a few spirits beasts in dungeons, and it's not a big deal. If you're still leveling, it shouldn't really matter what pet you bring in. I used my raptor for a long time before converting to wolf, but really, if you aren't raiding, it's not that big of a deal. Just be careful with tenacity pets, if you keep Thunder Stomp on auto- that can sometimes be disastrous. Always keep growl off auto, too ^_^

Hope this helps!
Gozu
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Gozu »

Thanks so much for the replies & the great information! This is a big help to me :D
Rethei
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by Rethei »

With being Bm specced and having the Glyph for BW i always pop it as soon as it is off Cd along with Kill command(when you get it) I save my Racial (orc) and rapid fire for bosses. Kill shot is great to use so long as the mob doesnt die before it can hit it :p
Props to Karathyriel
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

You shouldn't worry too much after a while you're get a lot better at it. Just do your best and ignore anyone who gives you trouble, we all started out somewhere. ;)

As for the type of pet you sue the devilsuar or the wolf are usually higher dps-wise, but its not necessary to take one or the other. Any pet can do fine just remember to turn growl off.
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

dps pets are great but sometimes a pet's ability is worth a slight loss of dps. One example is acid spit. It reduces armor by 20% when fully stacked. That is alot of armor on a boss and adds up to alot of extra damage for the group especially in a melee heavy group. IMO if there are enough hunters in a raid one should have a worm specificly for that. I don't know how to do the number crunching but in a 25 man raid that could increase the groups dmg by 10%-30% since spells benifit from the reduced armor also. In long boss fights I imagine this would cut a 3 minute boss fight to 2 minutes 24 seconds. Of course this is assuming my math is right/
We don't die. We multiply.
Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstraza

Unread post by Loffter »

Dulanie wrote:dps pets are great but sometimes a pet's ability is worth a slight loss of dps. One example is acid spit. It reduces armor by 20% when fully stacked. That is alot of armor on a boss and adds up to alot of extra damage for the group especially in a melee heavy group. IMO if there are enough hunters in a raid one should have a worm specificly for that. I don't know how to do the number crunching but in a 25 man raid that could increase the groups dmg by 10%-30% since spells benifit from the reduced armor also. In long boss fights I imagine this would cut a 3 minute boss fight to 2 minutes 24 seconds. Of course this is assuming my math is right/

The problem with that is in a 25 man raid, you are almost garenteed to have a warrior, and acid spit doesnt stack with sunder armor.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Pop any and all cooldowns when you can. Try to save them for a boss if you're fighting a trash pull or two before a boss.

That's about it.

Vespias
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Vespias »

Veph pretty much answered you question just as i would have...only thing I'll add is to make sure growl is off. Tanks get really prissy about that, esp if they're not so good.

Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dentarg

Unread post by Valinai »

I'm in a similar boat as the original poster. Hunter was first toon in WoW, just hit 80 earlier this week. I've been working on getting my DPS in better shape - the right equipment will go a long way, of course, but I'm doing little things. I saved my 1g respec until I hit 80. Basically, I did that because I wanted to be very familiar with the character and what all those talents MEANT before I went and changed them all. I'm BM spec - eventually will dual spec for dps boost in dungeons, most likely - and I've noticed a significant change just by taking care of a few things that are "easily overlooked". It's just my two cents, and I welcome any and all input. But here's the "noob 80" perspective.

1) Research your spec. By now you should be familiar enough with the spec and how it works to compare common/recommended builds. I tweaked a recommended RAIDING build. My guild is casual, and while we've done Molten Core, Khera and a couple wings of Naxx, it's not high priority. So I made sure stuff that I knew I liked/used I kept. Mostly for me, I like having a LONG range, so I maxed out the talent in Survival that increases my range. It helps in fights when the tank is down and it's me and a couple Clothies trying to get that last smidge of health down - I'm farther away and can get some good shots in before the boss gets to me. Anyway, tweak your spec as necessary. Tweaking my spec gave me a sizeable DPS increase, according to the lovely hunter DPS calculator at femaledwarf.com

2) Make sure you're gemmed and glyphed properly. I knew I was going to tweak my spec. I saved my last glyph spot until I did that, so as to avoid throwing away gold. I hadn't paid much attention to my glyphs (SHAME ON ME) and I still had "Aspect of the Hawk". It's fairly useless if you NEVER GO INTO THAT ASPECT. So, I got glyphs I knew I would use: Feign Death (cooldown shortened), Volley (mana cost reduction), Arcane (chance to get more mana if a Sting is active). Means I have to make sure the Sting got fired first, but it's not a big switch. Gemmed myself with all orange gems - just worked out that way - to get haste, agility, crit rate, AP.

3) Go to the AH (or guildie or friendly stranger) and get the best ammo for your ranged weapon. A friend of mine supplied bullets, free of charge, and said they were the best. I found better. In fact, it's THIRTY POINTS better. That's 30 more points PER SECOND. !!!

4) Know when to sacrifice DPS for the good of the party. Master's Call can be a difference maker if your TANK or HEALER is impaired. Stop firing, get them free. Also, as the ranged person, I try to run interference for the Clothies. If they don't know/can't run to the tank, draw aggro. You can handle the damage better than they can. Also, MISDIRECT is awesome for times when a Pally tank is SILENCED and can't keep aggro. Cast misdirect on the tank, then something nice like volley (from my experience) and the mob goes back to the tank.

These are just some things I've learned over the past few weeks as I crept towards 80 and during the past few days as I've begun watching the DPS reports more.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Valinai wrote: 2) Make sure you're gemmed and glyphed properly. I knew I was going to tweak my spec. I saved my last glyph spot until I did that, so as to avoid throwing away gold. I hadn't paid much attention to my glyphs (SHAME ON ME) and I still had "Aspect of the Hawk". It's fairly useless if you NEVER GO INTO THAT ASPECT. So, I got glyphs I knew I would use: Feign Death (cooldown shortened), Volley (mana cost reduction), Arcane (chance to get more mana if a Sting is active). Means I have to make sure the Sting got fired first, but it's not a big switch. Gemmed myself with all orange gems - just worked out that way - to get haste, agility, crit rate, AP.
The Hawk glyph is not useless as it works with the Dragonhawk aspect as well
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dentarg

Unread post by Valinai »

Danielfboone wrote:
Valinai wrote: 2) Make sure you're gemmed and glyphed properly. I knew I was going to tweak my spec. I saved my last glyph spot until I did that, so as to avoid throwing away gold. I hadn't paid much attention to my glyphs (SHAME ON ME) and I still had "Aspect of the Hawk". It's fairly useless if you NEVER GO INTO THAT ASPECT. So, I got glyphs I knew I would use: Feign Death (cooldown shortened), Volley (mana cost reduction), Arcane (chance to get more mana if a Sting is active). Means I have to make sure the Sting got fired first, but it's not a big switch. Gemmed myself with all orange gems - just worked out that way - to get haste, agility, crit rate, AP.
The Hawk glyph is not useless as it works with the Dragonhawk aspect as well
A shame the descrip didn't say that. As far as I read, it was only Aspect of the Hawk! See? Still learning here :P

At least the sentiment stands...check your glyphs!