Terrible pet names

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Terrible pet names

Unread post by Cozzene »

I have to ask; does anyone here have pets named biteyoazz, or pwnyourface? What's the reasoning behind it? I'm sure no one really thinks it's cute or funny, I myself just roll my eyes at it. My pets have personalities, and it seems degrading to name them this way. I'm all for "as long as the owner is happy" but some of these are just ridiculous.

Confirm/deny/questions/comments/concerns?
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Terrible pet names

Unread post by Lisaara »

I dont. Ugh. I hate seeing names like those too.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yeah, not a fan of those names. =/ I usually don't even like pun names, but my one exception is my Undead Boar named Frankenswine.
Valashe
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Valashe »

Don't currently have any pets that have terrible names like that. I do cringe when I see hunters with pet names that are a bit on the inane side.

I will have to confess I once had a Blue Vulture back in the start of BC that I named "birdflu". My better judgment prevailed and I tamed another and gave it a proper name.

Queen of teh Squerlz!

View my stable!

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Yeah, I almost died during my Aotona hunt seeing someone with it who had named it PayUpSucka. And I've seen one named P**is (Fill in the two letters yourself...), one named Puzzay and some other real winners. I suspect my worst one is AdamWest the spore bat. :P Though he rarely comes out of the stable (Sigh. I know. Shame on me.).
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

No way! Adam West is rad. I occasionally call my Mazz (Gustiver) the uncreative "Pinky", but it's affectionate. Someone had tamed him and called him SissyBird. I was a sad panda =(

Also, Frankenswine is genius. U.W.I.N.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

my sporebat name is wolf. discuss XD

jk.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I agree that utilizing such names would only highlight an enormous neon sign with the singular word "Huntard" over any hunter that would do such a thing to their pet(s).

With that being said, what constitutes as an appropriate pet name would appear to be highly agreed upon in a sense by most hunter players especially in this community. I feel the need to point out that there is a distinct separation between names that are deemed inappropriate and those that can be considered whimsical or cutesy. I personally find names like Frankenswine perfectly fine whereas names like PayUpSucka and P--is undisputedly cringe-worthy. Sadly, there will always be a percentage of hunter players that maintain a callous disregard for the class and even less respect for the companions by their side.
Last edited by Niabi on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loethlin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Loethlin »

Crap. I'm one of those guys.
I'm guilty of various LeonardNimoys, BillShatners, ChrisPines and ZachQuintos.
Since I can't name my cat Spock (it's reserved), I had to do a LeonardNimoy, and he can't exist without BillShatner, can he? No he can't. And then there's the reboot, and Zachary Quinto is so dark and hairy, I had to name my Humar that, and he can't be without a ChrisPine, can he? No, he can't.
I know it's very convoluted and ultimately I come across as a moron, but I just... can't... help... it...
And I promise, I have nothing but respect and adoration for those actors, wish it'd be more obvious...

Also guilty of Appletini and Kitsch for both tallstriders.

I usually am not bothered by such things in others, I'd be a hypocrite, but there IS a line and names like IPwnzJoo are it.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Loethlin wrote:Crap. I'm one of those guys.
Since I can't name my cat Spock (it's reserved), I had to do a LeonardNimoy, and he can't exist without BillShatner, can he? No he can't. And then there's the reboot, and Zachary Quinto is so dark and hairy, I had to name my Humar that, and he can't be without a ChrisPine, can he? No, he can't.
I know it's very convoluted and ultimately I come across as a moron, but I just... can't... help... it...
And I promise, I have nothing but respect and adoration for those actors, wish it'd be more obvious...

I usually am not bothered by such things in others, I'd be a hypocrite, but there IS a line and names like IPwnzJoo are it.
Those names dont bother me. It's that last one (IPwnzJoo) that make me cringe.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kittykat
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Kittykat »

See, I think naming your pets after actors you like is fine. Just like if you named your dog/cat/lizard/newt after them would be fine, but naming your pet sh**head (pronounced Sha-THEED) is just nasty.

I have a devilsaur named PinkyWinky. I would never name a pet what I saw Gondria named the other day: Sekzybeast.

One of the hunters that tamed Loque on my server early on in the expansion is a little... mentally unstable, according to people who had been in guild with her. For several weeks she ran around with Loquenahak named "MINE" just like that in all caps. As a big childish "I have this and you don't nyah nyah nyah" to the server. After that she renamed, and called her pet "ENVY" and I've noticed as she's tamed other Spirit Beasts all their names have been similarly narcissistic and icky. :?

Cutesy, funny names that are a play on words? Doesn't bug me. Names that are intentionally avoiding the word filter or otherwise crass and crude? Well the former violates TOS and is reportable, the latter is stupid, but it's legal.
Magnakilro
Realm: Eonar

Unread post by Magnakilro »

I think my worst are my Krush named Yoshisaurus and my Grubthor (yellow Azerothian worm) named Jim.

The worst I've seen was a raptor named N**sack
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Hmm, I think the worst I cam was naming my barking wolf "Barkspawn", or maybe my Silithid "Twitch".

A good friend of mine named his nightsaber "Dog" some time back, before he stopped playing. I swear I face palmed when I saw it.
I haven't seen any really bad names like nooberkill recently. I know there's a few wince-inducing spirit beasts running about on my server though.

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Loethlin wrote:Crap. I'm one of those guys.

it seems perhaps you like star trek? i didnt guess by your signature or your avatar :)

I like those silly names of people from shows or celebs. the IPWNU or stupid stuff like that are the dumb ones that I wish I had an ability to throw those people into the Emerald Nightmare permanately
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Bundia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Unread post by Bundia »

I /facepalm all of those silly names. I personally prefer one word names just in general. I think it's because you can't put a space in between is what bothers me. I can be a bit of a grammar nut. My naming scheme is a bit of gut feeling and play on the pet's features. King Krush is Caesar (He's a grand king of the jungle. Plus he's green like a salad!). Skoll is Cumulonimbus (It's the type of cloud that produces storms). Arcturis is Aegis (Bears signify protection. Aegis is a synonym). Grubthor is Aurum (Latin for Gold). And the list could go on for days.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Cozzene wrote:I have to ask; does anyone here have pets named biteyoazz, or pwnyourface? What's the reasoning behind it? I'm sure no one really thinks it's cute or funny, I myself just roll my eyes at it. My pets have personalities, and it seems degrading to name them this way. I'm all for "as long as the owner is happy" but some of these are just ridiculous.

Confirm/deny/questions/comments/concerns?
Well personally I do find that sort of thing somewhat annoying, although I kind of take it as a "given" these days, that if I bother to check someone (or their pets') name, it will be along those lines... alot of those people are shall we say "going through a phase", and inevitably being mixed in with them, the rest of us have to put up with their antics.

Although I do still shake my head when I see a spirit beast with a stupid name - either they tripped over it, or else the process of going after it failed to make them grow up any... :roll:

However I recently heard people with stupid names can be reported on RP servers, and forced to change them... I'm not an RP'er but I do still try to give my characters and their pets names that would fit in a fantasy MMORPG... I'm thinking of rolling a toon on an RP server just for the occasional breath of fresh air.

Kind of reminds me of how people thought I was crazy to move a bunch of my toons over to a latin server back around the advent of wotlk; I did it just because it was free and I needed a server to consolidate on... but since then I've found it can be nice to play on a realm where I actually don't understand what's being said (unless I concentrate at it - mi espanol es no bueno!) after listening to enough "wtfbbqsauce roflcopter n00b troll n00b troll etc" on the english ones.
Last edited by Worba on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Ive seen some pretty bad ones.. I think something that also bothers me is when people dont name their pets... I can understand trying to figure out a name for the pet (like my Inny's Aotona) but sometimes I wonder.

I think the worst I ever called a pet was krushbait.. umm ok theres a reason, they were my release pets for King krush and I figured the horde would get it.. sad thing is.. I had clutchstrider named that but after two months in sholazar camping for King krush.. I think I kind of lost it :lol:

Odd thing is the pet that I eventually released to tame King Krush was my second loque.. who I then renamed my first loque after in admiration :)

Ive seen some bad ones like Gangreene for king krush, puzzy for a wolf, stupidwolf for a wolf, some people shouldnt tame pets.. and some names are really offensive and shouldnt be allowed to be used..

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

The other day, I reported a hunter who had a pet named HotWolfs** (take a wild guess at what the last word is...) and the poor thing was a vargul blighthound. I don't mind silly and cutsey names, though I admit that some of them do make me facepalm at times. Offensive names I end up reporting every time I see them, especially if a pet I love is cursed with one. hunters who don't name their pets also bother me as well, though I never question it because, as an above poster already said, it can take some people a while to think of the right name.
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

I think I'm more prone to giving my characters bad names then pets, though I do love to name my pets after other pet families.

There's a difference between crude and in good taste.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

The really bad ones make me cringe. If they are bad enough, I report them. Like that wasp named PusyMnchr or corehound named Rape. :(
I hate seeing a pet stuck with obscene or just plain stupid names. I have a few that have silly names, mostly just from in-guild jokes (Circle, Lush, Wibbles) myself. But there's a difference, I think.