Taming the Beast

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Taming the Beast

Unread post by Vephriel »

If you know a Paladin who could help you they're probably the most helpful class to bring along if you can't quite manage a solo tame. :D
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

I do, and ty for the advice... I will bring him along. (I even had my cor hound pup out in hopes he'd help coerce his older cousin to become part of the family lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Vephriel

Tell him to use Divine Shield + Divine Sacrifice. ^.^ That's how I was able to tame my Beast a while ago.

Good luck!
Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight US

Unread post by Carnacki »

A shaman friend and I got it on our first try.

Bloodlust/Berserking/Potion of speed.

Brought my Tame down to 9 seconds

Pulled with Scorpid.

Tame went off.

I did get a little lucky in the fact that the Beast used fireball instead of his knockback or fear.
Vephriel

Ooh, congrats Carnacki! That's indeed extremely lucky. :D It took me so many attempts because The Beast just kept doing his knockback, usually when I had mere milliseconds left of the tame.
Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight US

Unread post by Carnacki »

Unfortunately I like to push my dps and stay on top. So I rarely go BM. I wish we would use all pets in all specs.
Narasalu
Realm: Aggramar EU, Auchindoun EU, Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Narasalu »

Hmm, oddly I never noticed this thread. :roll:
Therefore, i'll copy and paste the strategy that yours truly posted on Wowhead. ;)
After reading all the posts on how to tame this guy, I came up with my own strategy, with the help of a shaman.
I should mention that I had 16k health, so you can do it with less than 20k, but I would guess that anything less than 14k would cause you problems.

Also make sure not to use any very high dps melee weapons, or weapons with procs.

First have the shaman use Earth Shield on you, activate Aspect Of The Viper, then run in, pull The Beast, and run to the corner with the pile of straw, backing into it as far as possible (if you are as far back as possible he won't fear, only knockback). Have the shaman plop a healing totem down nearby, and start auto-attacking The Beast when he is in range, after a few seconds activate Rapid Fire and start taming. It will probably fail due to the knockback, but the Earth Shield and totem will have stopped you from being killed, so try again. If you run out of mana, auto-attack for a few seconds to build up enough through AotV to activate Tame Beast again. Auto-attacking has the added bonus of causing a fair amount of threat, enough to keep The Beast off the healer, while doing very little damage.

Essentially, keep doing this. The healer should never run out of mana due to not having to use any very often, and you should only run out for a few seconds due to AotV. You should be able to repeat taming many times within a few minutes without dying or having to Feign Death. However, this is a waiting game, although once I had worked out this way of taming, I didn't die again, and had him tamed within 10 minutes.

Most important of all, don't give up or become disheartened. Twice he knocked me with only one second of taming left, but I got him in the end. :)
Additionally, for those who tamed Garwal while he was available, this is very similar, as like the Garwal tame, it takes a while and is based on pure luck :D

Last edited by Boomsky on 01/29/2010 (Patch 3.3.0) – edited 2 times
Hope that helps in some way. :D
Also known as Bermuda from those pesky official EU forums.
Fuzzystringwad
Realm: Alterac Mountains

Unread post by Fuzzystringwad »

Congrats! He is a tough catch! I tamed the Beast back in Burning crusade when the first added core hounds. He was a tough tame. Me and my Shaman healer tried forever. Eventually with his random charge he punted the shaman above the level and out of his site where he could here me but not get aggro at all. That was when we were successful. back then I didn't have the luxury of enough health to heal between tries lol.
The huntress
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by The huntress »

I am gonna try to tame him wish me luck

Tasêr

Sharilar
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Sharilar »

I tamed him yesterday on a whim. And no, it wasn't as easy as I'm making it sound.

My hunter's heavily ICC-geared, and with the talk of the increased stable size I figured I'd go get The Beast now, in case they make him untamable or remove him in Cat. My preperations consisted of setting up the BW/abandon macro, the Rapid Fire/Deterrence/Speed pot macro, sending myself all of 15 speed pots I had saved from characters that dinged 80, and the Fort scrolls and both drums. Yep, I was a n00b and didn't bring haste food, or even any extra haste gear beyond what my normal raid gear has.

I made about 3 or 4 attempts, but my cast time was only dipping down to 16 sec or so as I recall, so my best attempt was broken at 5 sec left. At that point a shammy friend logged on, so I bit my tongue and asked him to come help me tame a raid boss. (Wonder what his actual reaction was when he saw that whisper XD) He agreed, and it took a couple tries to get the heroism timing sorted out, but my taming only got down to 12 sec even then.

After several attempts(the best one broke at 0.9 seconds left), we were running back from taming another wolf from LBRS, and had to dodge the first few dragonkin respawning in the first room. I didn't tell him, but win or lose it was gonna have to be the last attempt between the respawns, and our supply of wolves running low. (And I needed to go log off and do taxes soon.) First one failed, but he has earth shield on me and a healing totem out, and my haste buffs are still up, so as soon as it breaks I try again. I'm watching the timer crawl down... then at somewhere around 2 seconds left I see the fireball cast bar pop up, and it's dropping as fast as the remaining time on the cast bar... and both finished at the same time. For a split second I thought that he'd done a knockback right after the fireball, but the target went friendly and he shrunk. /cheer

So yeah. Moral of the story: If you're gonna go do a hard tame, at least be fully prepared, but RNG can still be your ally if you've got the time to waste. That or Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are delicious.

I named him Boss at first for lack of ideas, but after a bit of thinking I renamed him Inferno. (FOR THE ROYALTY!) Now to wait for the increased stable size so I can tame all the other things I want to tame.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

Congratulations! Contemplating trying this now, myself....*Ponders*

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
The huntress
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by The huntress »

Well no luck what so ever he would interrupt my tame almost the second I cast it.

Tasêr

bikazig
Realm: Greymane

Unread post by bikazig »

Tamed this puppy today =D. First try too went in with shaman friend i pulled him into the corner with the hay and she hit BL i hit deterrence then tame beast and prayed. Lucky for me he was to busy casting fireball to punt me so i got him on the first tame..named him TheBoss =D
Vephriel

An interesting tidbit I heard today and thought I'd put on this thread.

Someone mentioned that they used a Snake Trap when taming The Beast because the poisons slowed his casting speed. I can't verify this myself, but it's something to ponder on for sure.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Hhhhmm

Great info Veph. I will give that a shot if I go for him again. I'll be the guinea pig.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

tuwek
Realm: Executus - EU

Unread post by tuwek »

If you are troll and engineer, is very easy to do solo tame The Beast. But you need train sometimes and each time you fail, need tame a pet trash again. If you arent't troll, got a Shaman friend.
Never feed a troll...
My stable
Wolfinglen
Realm: Velen, Blackhand, Borean Tundra, Nesingwary

Unread post by Wolfinglen »

Just tamed him a few minutes ago at level 70. I had been theorycrafting several ideas on how to drop the cast tame low enough so that the tame would go off without dieing and I found that:

Bloodlust/heroism does not stack with the drums of haste
It does however stack with both the potions of speed and http://www.wowhead.com/item=12450

With Bloodlust, the potion, and the haste elixir, the tame drops to around 10s (give or take)

On the tame itself, have the shaman cast earthshield and a riptide on you before you (or another hunter misdirects to you) pull The Beast. The easiest way to keep aggro is to use an arcane shot as it produces more aggro than the scorpid sting. The shaman will need to place a fire resistance, wrath of air, and flametongue totem near you and then run into the other room, only popping out long enough to toss you a heal.

Keep in mind this strategy is for level 70. If you want to try it at an earlier level, you will need to be at least level 66 for the meta with http://www.wowhead.com/item=25893 equipped and keep/stack stamina gear and scrolls on hand. The jujus would be the only haste item you would have, but it would help with the tame just the same.

*Note for the juju flurries to work, you must have the cache of mauri equipped or in your inventory during the attempts*

As everyone else has already stated, the best place for the tame is in the corner behind the haystack.

As opposed to feigning when low on health, I just let The Beast kill me. That way, the debuff from bloodlust/heroism is gone and drops the amount of time between attempts, cooldown per pop included.

Most importantly, don't give up! There will be times where he will just not want to be tamed when the cast bar is nearly finished ticking down. They are frustrating, yes, but it will make you all the more determined to have him. With the right preparations and a bit of luck, you will eventually be able to tame him. :)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

The strong misdirect was a real help for me as a healer, since I could toss an nature's swiftness-healing wave instead of having to pray that riptide ticks were enough. Beyond that, earth shield did enough passive healing. Also, be sure to have tremor totem down, in case anything should go wrong and a reset needs to be done. An outside misdirect also helps a ton with bloodlust/heroism timing.

Agreed on the unfortunate necessary death of the hunter should things go wrong; the five minute cooldown isn't too much longer than the time needed to set up for the next attempt. Much more efficient than waiting out the full 10 minute debuff.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Aye, I misdirected, then feigned. Much dancing was had. True facts.

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

Just tamed, succeeded on my (I don't even want to think about how many tries overall, but it was my second time with a shaman) try. I didn't need any healing - I respecced to have Endurance Training and . I did this:

1. Ate some Imperial Manta, positioned self by straw for fear immunity.
2. Pet (all pets were named Deadlock in this case) pulled.
3. Scorpid Sting as he ran over.
4. Ran macro 1 -
/cast Rapid Fire
/use Potion of Speed
/s Heroism, please! <3
4.5. Waited for Heroism
5. Ran macro 2 -
/cast Deterrence
/cast Bestial Wrath
/script PetAbandon(Deadlock)
6. Started tame

And I have my lovely <3