Pets you were underwhelmed by/pets that took you by surprise

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Pets you were underwhelmed by/pets that took you by surprise

Unread post by pengupuff »

For me, the pet that underwhelmed me the most has to be Chromaggus. I suppose my expectations were too high, but after actually getting him, I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. I can't quite put my finger on it. He's fine for showing off in Orgrimmar, but when I go into a shaman-less raid and need a core hound, I always bring Magmadar over Chrom. /shrug

I also wasn't very taken with the undead hawk. I thought I would love him to pieces (no pun intended), but after taming him he just sat collecting dust in my stables.

As far as pets that weasled their way into my heart unexpectedly, my red demon dog Verek has to take the prize. I had fully planned on taming one of the pretty little gray demon dogs from Nagrand, and even had one on my hunter copy on the PTR, but a few days before the Shattering I was in BRD for some reason or another and came across Verek, a rare spawn. I fell in love, and knew I had to have him. After the Shattering, I immediately used my remote to port into BRD, and sure enough, Verek was there waiting.

I'm also surprised that my Lord Condar has hung in there for so long. I tamed him before the Shattering just to have a bunch of pets that would transform since that seemed like fun, but I never really intended to keep him. Still, every time I bring him out to release him, I can't quite bring myself to let him go. >.< I don't need 3 carrion birds, damn it!

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Maladramatic

Re: Pets you were underwhelmed by/pets that took you by surp

Unread post by Maladramatic »

Gondria. I collected her just because, but I will never let that one go.
Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

undead hawk, whole brainbugs, silithid swarmer and Rak'shiri were underwhelming. sitting in the stables.

i'm liking my Chromag, hive controller, and stv monkey. liking Shango too, but had to abandon to make room, he was still lvl 77 and always available to tame when i can clear a few stable slots(same with Shy-rotam).
bloodysam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Scryers!

Unread post by bloodysam »

Well i know it hasnt come yet but Spirit Wolf the OLD style its just wicked cool, and one that took me by surpise that they let us have was Black Warp Staulker i mean there is only like two in the game and they let us have one :) i named mine Nightcrawler after my old one but it was white i think they should bring back the warp abilty i mean what is a warp staulker without the poofing and the once here now there

Born a lonewolf...choosen to be with pets!
Thanks for the awwsome signature Pooksie!!
Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

Ghamoo-ra, because of that silly gold...spot on its mouth. dunno if it's supposed to be teeth or what, but it looks ridiculous.
Lone Hunter, because I WANT MY SWORD-IMPALED GHOST WOLF BLIZZARD.
Aotona, now that good looking parrots can be pets. Very close to releasing it because I never use it.
EVERY dog, because they're tiny as hell. I got a green demon dog with runes, and it looks amazing in BW, but it's so freakin tiny, like Scout's head.

Exact opposite with Lord Kri, as I kept him even without the invincibility bug. Deleted my brain bug for Lord Kri because the orange color and bloody horn is just plain awesome.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Oenias
Realm: Tarren Mill EU

Unread post by Oenias »

Dogs generally, they're like diet wolves. I personally can't see any reason to have a dog when you can have its bigger, wilder and more badass counterpart. Also ashtail, or just foxes in general, the models have a really low polygon count and just look ugly. Huhuran is awesome though, I love how massive the boss wasps are.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

The pet that caught me most by surprise was my red/silver dragonhawk, Thoth. I thought I would just end up taming him for the magic debuff, and I ended up completely falling in love with him.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Thalamus, my Hive Controller. ^^

When I was in Cataclysm Beta, I was hoping to grab the rare purple one in Tanaris. The damaged brain model didn't appeal to me at all, I wanted a full bug. Well, after a few days of fruitless searching I decided to grab the Hive Controller just temporarily so I could at least get a feel of the pet model.

Surprisingly I found myself loving the damaged model, and now I have him instead of the intact guys. :D
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

I longed for room for the teal and purple tallstriders. I got them, named them, leveled them... and have thus far been unable to connect with them =(
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Hmmm..
Underwhelmed by..
Hive Controller. I'm fine with gross things, but this thing's brain... It's... It's liquid... It just wobbles like loose jello. x.x And those shards in it look so painful...
Parrots. They're... They're boring. x.x I don't know why, they just seem boring. Maybe I got the wrong color...
Seagulls. Not only do they not have a "moving forward flap", but their wings flap in a broken, jagged angled flap. It's sad.
Mastiffs. Two problems with them - their lower jaw, which makes Varian look like the winner of the Little Chin Award, and their tail. It's thick, and looks like it doesn't have any fur on it. Gross...

Surprised by...
Chrom. Oh, my gosh. I adore this guy. I need to level a new hunter and get him/her an undead hawk, because as much as I love the hawks, it'll be ignored now that I have Chrom.
Foxes. SO CUTE. AHHH.
Demon dogs. I adore the little guys! So much attitude in such a little beast, they're amazing.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Isaba
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alleria~Nesingwary

Unread post by Isaba »

eh most of the new pets didn't do much for me

the new skins are fun though, shango, the crocs, I love my little brown fox

but my fav new pet HAS to be my warpy Mirai, useing the gezz skin, I ADORE it, I use it all the time now

EDITS: brains pretty much ARE jello you know, or more like pudding

*GenderQueer*Gay*Furry*Hunter*
I am who I am, and I am Happy.

Layiaissa
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Area 52, Shandris, Bladefist, Quel'dorei

Unread post by Layiaissa »

I was underwhelmed by King Bangladesh. I was fairly ignorant when I tamed him, and when he shrunk to half his size when I tamed him, I was like 'ugh.' Not really wild about foxes, or the dogs. Just don't really do it for me.

My biggest surprises were Shy-Rotam and my daggercap hawk. With Shy, a guildy and I went up to tame Sian-Rotam, but when we saw Shy up close, we both had to have her too. I actually abandoned Bang for her. Even then, she sat in my stables the most of my five cats. So when I saw Araga about to be killed the day before 4.0.1 dropped, I decided to drop Shy for her. Imagine my surprise when, after going on a new pet spree, I found myself back in Winterspring camping Rak'shiri, planning to replace my dear Bobbie. I got lucky, and on day four, another hunter wanting Sian allowed my to tame Shy again in exchange for my help calling her white lion. Never ever going to let her go ever again.

With my blood elf, its all about flying tropheys, so at level ten, I made a corpse run up to Northrend to get the best looking carrion bird in the game. I fell in love almost instantly. With her low flight path and surprisingly mean ability, I almost had trouble leveling up my other pets. I'm less than happy that she's been 'fixed' and changed into a BoP, but he's still my go-to bird. Hell, if I could have to out at the same time, Steel would be on my left shoulder, and my tedrassil owl, Silver, would be on my right. /sigh So pretty.

thanks to Kurenio and TygerDarkStorm for the sigs

Jadvya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US

Unread post by Jadvya »

I really don't like foxes. They're just... Not hunter pet material to me. A vanity pet? Yes. Combat pet? Heck no. Very impractical and, considering there's still basilisks and hydras and all sorts of fierce animals we could use, it bothers me that foxes of all things got the green light when they weren't even in game beforehand!

I'm surprised by the demon dogs and Chromie. My little unnamed demon dog has grown on me so much in the past couple of days, and I only just now tamed Chromaggus, but I've fallen in love very quickly.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I was violently frothing at the mouth to get one of the ghostly Karazhan dogs... only to drop it no more than a few hours after. I just couldn't bond with the ghostly effect, I think. Maybe if they make a solid white one, I'll be more interested.

As for favorites, I'm really amazed at how infatuated I have become with my seagull. I *LOVE* it. So very much. I'm taking it with me everywhere. I'm considering getting one of the flying bats in Blasted Lands, as well, except my stable's a little bit full right now. Still, I was surprised to find myself really attracted to them when I pulled one down to test it out.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

None of the pets I tamed have underwhelmed me. It takes a lot of "personality" for me to even tame a pet, so the ones who make it to my stable are there for good.

Pets that have surprised me though?

Griever my undead eagle and Thistle my grey-blue fox. I did NOT expect to like these two nearly as much as I have. I find them both to be such witty companions, that I tend to bring them a long now along with my Spirit Beast. Chromaggus became a favorite just because... running BWL with friends brought back so many memories.

Of course, my loque (Heero) and ghost wolf (Odin) are forever my 2 favorite pets. I love them to pieces and I have yet for any pet to even rival my adoration for them.

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Layiaissa wrote:With my blood elf, its all about flying tropheys, so at level ten, I made a corpse run up to Northrend to get the best looking carrion bird in the game. I fell in love almost instantly. With her low flight path and surprisingly mean ability, I almost had trouble leveling up my other pets. I'm less than happy that she's been 'fixed' and changed into a BoP, but he's still my go-to bird. Hell, if I could have to out at the same time, Steel would be on my left shoulder, and my tedrassil owl, Silver, would be on my right. /sigh So pretty.
Well, apparently you can still tame stormcrows as carrion birds. It just involves you taming a Brood of Anzu.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the topic...

Underwhelming pets... well, nothing that I've tamed has fallen into that category yet. However, when scouting out Ashtail's area, I found the noises that all those foxes were making to be rather unpleasant. This coming from a player who never really minded the sounds of guns, crocolisks, devilsaurs, core hounds, even worms. I don't even mind the yawn that our cats inherited form the saber mounts. I guess it's just that there's a mental disconnect between what I hear and what I see. I've never been around foxes before, so I don't know what they really sound like. I know that they tend to be very fierce and aggressive. So, seeing a fox doing the play animation, yet making such weird sounds doesn't sit well with me. Currently considering getting a monkey in lieu of a fox.

In the surprises category, I must throw in Hooch. He's a pre-4.0.1 tame of The Beast. I thought I would miss the skull tag so much, and be really deflated with how all my hard work to obtain him only to have him become just another core hound. But, skull tag is gone, he is no longer level ?? (Boss), yet I won't part with him. I realize that the memories of running through the halls of BWL with my good friend, being chased by The Beast even though he was bigger than the walls he walked through, and of finally taming The Beast are far more precious than the silly skull on his nameplate.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Kurasu wrote:I just couldn't bond with the ghostly effect, I think. Maybe if they make a solid white one, I'll be more interested.
Argh, you and me both! I love the little demon dogs, I think they're adorable. The white skin is my favorite but unfortunately it's got the ghost effect which I have never really liked. I hope they give us a solid white one!

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm underwhelmed with any pet that I thought I'd like. I already knew I wouldn't like foxes (though I tamed one in beta anyway just to be sure). I suppose the parrots, while pretty, aren't really my thing either. I was hoping one of the green ones would do it for me, but I just can't get into having a giant parrot for a combat pet for my hunter.

The ones that surprised me are the monkeys, most of all. I thought I'd hate them. But once I tamed one, I just adored their personality. I don't have one on live yet, I'm waiting for the brown one to get a stable skin without the pickaxe. Having the pickaxe was fun at first but after a while it just bothered me.

(Apologies for pics below...wanted to share my tame stories so this is as good a time as any!)

I was also surprised that I liked a core hound I just tamed tonight. I took the portal to Blasted Lands, intending to try out a carrion bird, and when I got there, I saw a beast by the name of Gomegaz on my radar. I found a large lumbering core hound and figured, why not? I had tried one in the past, one of those bright green ones from Shadowmoon Valley, and promptly abandoned it. I couldn't stand the color or the lava sound or the obnoxious stomping. So, I didn't expect to have any fondness for this one either. But for some reason, I really like him. I think it's the color, I love how he has the green body but with a different colored fire effect. He's just really striking to me, and the noises don't bother me either this time around.

The tame that really surprised me was my green carrion bird, previously a Bonepicker Felfeeder. I spent probably at least 15 minutes trying to get within range of one to tame tonight. I didn't even think I'd like it, but I wanted to give it a shot. Ever since I released Rhytil so long ago, I haven't been able to bond with another carrion bird, which is sad, because I love them. But they always felt like a cheap replacement and it just didn't work. When I finally was able to get in range to shoot one down (successfully...I previously tried to pull one and killed it on accident), I tamed it, not expecting much. But when he flapped to my side, it was almost an immediate attraction. The green plumage that I thought would be garish and hideous was actually beautiful and just really seemed to suit him. I quickly thought of the name Ysuran. For anyone who is familiar with Baldur's Gate, Ysuran was a moon elf necromancer from Dark Alliance 2. I'm a night elf (Ysuran is a moon elf, cool similarity!), and the Bonepicker Felfeeders have a fel fireball spell as a mob which reminds me of necromancy (personally). Plus, Ysuran sounds a little like Ysera, which is the green dragonflight aspect, and my bird is green, so it all just seemed to fit. And when things come together like that, it just strengthens the bond for me. I love love love this bird!!!

Lastly, the pets that neither underwhelmed or overwhelmed me (meaning they are exactly as I'd hoped) are Duskfang (<3), the red warp stalker (which I almost let go because it didn't "match" me but after doing laps around Old Town in Stormwind, I realized he's just too freaking awesome to let go), the demon dogs (which I figured I'd like), and beetles.

Yay for pets!!! :D
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_112910_210513.jpg
WoWScrnShot_112910_210513.jpg (292.48 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
WoWScrnShot_112910_210659.jpg
WoWScrnShot_112910_210659.jpg (250.88 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
WoWScrnShot_112910_210707.jpg
WoWScrnShot_112910_210707.jpg (230.83 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Last edited by Rhyela on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Overwhelmed by how much i liked pets that i really did not count on that i would :D
Dogs, thougth i would hate the mastiff look but no :D
Foxes, thougth it would bother me running around with a pet that almost everyone has, but no. The foxes are to adorable
CHromo, i generally dont like core hounds, but this fellow have captured my heart
THe new ancient turtle look, same as with core hounds, i generally dont like turtles but this one <3
My seagul... its soo CUTE!!! It now has a close second to Müsli as my favorite pet... struggle for name for it still though, but i LOVE it

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Omg Rhyela, it looks like you're holding your Core Hound by a chain leash! ^_^ Eee!
Darkharvest
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem, Nesingwary

Unread post by Darkharvest »

Hmmm one that surprise me was my spiney blue crab. Not the greatest dps pet, or has that great of a tanking skill, but for some reason he just kinda clicks with me.
"Don't take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive."

"He's a Theodore Roosevelt, speak softly and carry a loud obnoxious wasp." BRK