[Guide] Taming the Oiled Hawk!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Outland - EU

[Guide] Taming the Oiled Hawk!

Unread post by Griffley »

I hope you all got that Blue-Mist Carrion Ghost I wrote about last night by now, because I have a new job for you!

No I am not joking, you are fínally going to tame one of those Oiled Hawks!

Yesterday, at my last discovery, I noticed how, when a pet -vanishes- and becomes tamed at the same time, he will maintain his additional visual effects.

So I was sleeplessly thinking about a way to make a beast vanish, even when they dont vanish from a quest or timer, because then, we would be able to tame áll those pets with awesome visuals we have always wanted.
I checked wether killing something had the same effect, but it (of course) had not.

Then I realised, reviving something, makes it dissapear! :idea:
So when something Dies and becomes tamed at the same time, you can make it instantly dissapear afterwords with revive.

PROBLEM: Because this way of making the beast vanish, kills it in the process, only the beasts that maintain their visual effect in death, will keep them after you tamed them this way. I am still desperately looking for a way to make them vanish without killing them, so we can tame all those cool pets. But for now, the only pet I found that maintains its visual bonus in death was this Oiled Hawk!
If you, like me, have always wanted to have this pet, this is your lucky day! Here is my guide to taming the Oiled Hawk!

Unlike with the wolf, you do nót need a Quest, and you do nót need to be Alliance.
As most of you probably know, the Oiled Hawks reside here:

Only the level 69 ones are Tameble.
I have found a relatively easy way to tame them for you , since not everyone can bring a friend to shoot them at exactly the right time, for 30 minutes.

Step 1:
*You have to take all of your gear off, it will make your Serpent Sting crit, messing up this guide.
*Shoot them with a Serpent Sting (Immediatly click away after this, or you will shoot him with your Auto attack.)
If you are having trouble clicking away in time, I have prepared this macro for you:
/use Serpent Sting
/target Griffley

(You should change "Griffley" into your own name ofcourse)

Step 2:
*Cast Tame Beast at the exact moment, the Serpent Sting does its first amount of damage.
If the Pet dies, you cast tame too late.
If you get a brown hawk, you cast tame too early.
Do not expect to do it right the first time, and keep making small adjustments.

Step 3:
*If you do it just right, the target will Die and be Tamed at the same time.
*You now have to use Revive Pet instantly after it was tamed, to make the corpse vanish. (When I say instantly, I mean INSTANTLY)
*Now you cancel the revive, after the corpse is gone.
You will not see a Portrait of the beast in your Call Pet button, but it is there alright.

Step 4:
*You relog.
*Now Select the pet slot you tamed your Oiled Hawk in. ("Your pet is dead.")
*So now you revive him and enjoy your new insanely rare pet!

Things you should know:
*As with the Blue-Mist Carrion Ghost, he becomes agressive after taming, and you have to arrange his action bar yourself.
*As with the Oiled Wolf, you should not enter Arenas, this is the only thing that will make the oil wear off.
*This is hard. My friend is still struggling with it as we speak, so it is probably going to take you a long time, but that doesn't mean you are doing it wrong, so keep trying.
*If you know of a Beast that has a visual effect that he keeps in death, please check this first, and then please tell us in this topic.
*If you know of a way to make beasts vanish without killing them; DO TELL.

If you have any questions at all, or want to stay up to date for more discovered pet species; add me on real-id (it is in my signature below)
I will appear there as Robbert van Eijndhoven, which is my real name.

I hope I explained this complicated way of taming the Oiled Hawk well enouth, because it is very tricky indeed.
Feel free to tame it and name it after whatever you want!
Happy hunting & Good luck!
~Griffley - Ravenholdt EU
Last edited by Griffley on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: [Guide] Taming the Oiled Hawk!

Unread post by Worba »

Great find!

The Terrokar moth would be my first suggestion... but 99% sure they lose their green mist when they die. x(
Alastiel
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: EU - Aszune

Unread post by Alastiel »

Oh, amazing! Great job! Oh, hm... do the Icepaw Bears not keep their visuals in death? I could have sworn they did. Maybe that's something worth trying? :)

Edit: The bears do not keep their effect in death, unfortunately.
Last edited by Alastiel on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

they both do NOT.
I have checked many many pets.
please stop suggestions without checking.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I've been thinking about this too but for this mob too, to keep its shadowy appearance.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23206

I think that you need to kill Darkscreecher Akkarai http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23161 at the same time the taming is finished.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Excellent suggestion pop!
I will look into that
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

So is the Arena the only thing that knocks the oil and the blue glowy?
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Griffley wrote:they both do NOT.
Calm down. Like I said I was 99% sure moths lost the visual on death - the reason I mentioned it is because you had said you were looking into ways of getting around that limitation.
Griffley wrote:PROBLEM: Because this way of making the beast vanish, kills it in the process, only the beasts that maintain their visual effect in death, will keep them after you tamed them this way. I am still desperately looking for a way to make them vanish without killing them, so we can tame all those cool pets.
:roll:
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Griffley wrote:Excellent suggestion pop!
I will look into that
well maybe you can leave darkscreecher akkarai but apply serpent sting on the bird itself like what you did.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Ariamodasu wrote:So is the Arena the only thing that knocks the oil and the blue glowy?
The blue mist of the bird of yesterday, is not knocked off by arena, not by anything
as for the oil, yes.
Alastiel
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: EU - Aszune

Unread post by Alastiel »

Griffley wrote:they both do NOT.
No need to be so hostile. I went and checked as soon as I had suggested it, and edited my post to reflect my result. :)
Also, thank you for doing all this.
Last edited by Alastiel on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

By the way... bit of a longshot, but what about having a mage polymorph a beast with visual effect, and time your tame to end at the exact moment the polymorph ends? That might be a way of getting around the "on death" problem...
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Griffley wrote:
Ariamodasu wrote:So is the Arena the only thing that knocks the oil and the blue glowy?
The blue mist of the bird of yesterday, is not knocked off by arena, not by anything
as for the oil, yes.
Awesome. Hopefully my sainty for these bloody parrots doesn't pack in before I get leveling my alts again so I can grab one eventually.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Worba wrote:By the way... bit of a longshot, but what about having a mage polymorph a pet, and time your tame to end at the exact moment the polymorph ends?
One way to know that if the mob would retain the unique look, that unique look must also persistent when the mob dies aka the corpse would also have the same effect.

and it is safe to assume, unless the unique look is not a form of buff/debuff, arena would definitely will dispell it.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

pop wrote:
Worba wrote:By the way... bit of a longshot, but what about having a mage polymorph a pet, and time your tame to end at the exact moment the polymorph ends?
One way to know that if the mob would retain the unique look, that unique look must also persistent when the mob dies aka the corpse would also have the same effect.
We don't know if that is an inescapable rule yet - all we know so far is that timing a tame on a mob with special visual effect, to end at the same time the mob experiences a major change, can cause it to retain said visual post-tame.

Remember Garwal? The trick with him involved him shapeshifting - not despawning or dying. So this is why I was thinking polymorph might have similar possibilities.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Alastiel wrote: No need to be so hostile. I went and checked as soon as I had suggested it, and edited my post to reflect my result. :)
Also, thank you for doing all this.
did not mean to be hostile, just trying to prevent 50 more suggestions that I already checked :)
*hug*
have fun taming the hawk :)
I would like to hear wether ppl managed to tame it?
Last edited by Griffley on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I'm now going after pets with unique effect and try to kill if they keep the effect after death

fern feeder moth from grizzly hills doesn't keep the glowing butterflies after death.

the infested bear from hillsbrad does keep the egg sack when it dies but the egg sacs are like separate object itself. though it stuck to the bear.
Last edited by pop on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Yeah, but with Garwal, it was something he shapeshifted into and kept on death--a state change, if you will. The trick was timing the tame to end as he shifted into the form. Poly isn't the same mechanic at all, but it doesn't hurt to try everything either!

On a related note--I assume this would be a secondary way to tame the oily wolf as well?

I'll have a look for other mobs with persisting-after-death buffs/appearances. I wonder if infested bears count >.>

I've got a hawk now, as does a guildmate--took a lot of attempts. We shot the other's bird as the tame finished, which made timing a serpent sting easier. Interestingly, on mine, he was ressable, but once I respecced, he was no longer in pet tray and required a relog to appear for the first time :lol:
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

pop wrote:I've been thinking about this too but for this mob too, to keep its shadowy appearance.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23206

I think that you need to kill Darkscreecher Akkarai http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23161 at the same time the taming is finished.
I am now doing the required pre-quest.
I will keep you up to date
cheers!
Hati
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Hati »

Quite a difficult tame,i get the tame when the second it dies,i revive/cancel,relog but i still get a brown hawk hehe,
But i like challenges and will keep trying!
Last edited by Hati on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.