This will allow you to tame pets that you want, with appearance buffs that you like. If a mob has a non-timed appearance-effecting buff on it, and you tame it with this method, it should keep the buff.
* Tameable mobs whose buffs dissipate on death will be for show only, as the buff will clear on pet death (and player death).
* When used on pets that have a buff that persists after death (The Lone Hunter, Oil-Stained Wolf etc), the buff WILL REMAIN after player death, so the pets are quite useable. This is an alternative way to quickly tame pets with appearance buffs without the hassle of timers.
Step 1: Find a pet with a buff you like.
Step 2: Trigger the pet's appearance change, if necessary.
Step 3: Tame Beast, and spam the following macro as the tame completes: /script PetAbandon()
Step 4: If it went well, the pet will be gone, but you will "already have an active summon" when you attempt to retame another. Relog, and your new shiny pet will be there.
Step 5: NEVER let it die >.> Also, do NOT die, yourself, while the pet is out. I have confirmed that this will also wipe the pet's buffs. (This step applies only to mobs who lose their appearance upon death while in the wild)
The mechanics of this: It makes the pet despawn as it becomes a pet, avoiding the "wiping the buffs" event. Be aware that pets tamed in this fashion take a relog to show, and will be set to Aggressive by default; you will also need to manually pull their abilities onto the Pet Bar from the Spellbook. Also keep in mind that this pet will (in the manner of Garwal, the Oil-Stained Wolf etc) appear as a normal tamed version of that mob (white wolf if ghost wolf, etc) on the log-in and pet screens.
See this page for more Ghost Wolf pics and Ghost Wolf-specific info.
Try it on these, and let me know if it works!
*(For the pets marked in red, please leave them alone. Because their buffs are more than cosmetic, the potential for them being seen (or used) as an exploit is also potentially harmful for the rest of us, who simply want our lovely sparkles. If you abuse these exploitable pets, you are cheating, and if you get this taming method nerfed, you're damaging the community as a whole.)*
List of confirmed & possible pets, constantly updated (Click on Confirmed for pics), with green mobs keeping their buffs after death:
* Akkarai Hatchling- CONFIRMED by Vulcorhunter
* Angered Arakkoa Protector - CONFIRMED
* Armored Battleboars - CONFIRMED by Echohawk ***
* Ashmane Boars - CONFIRMED by Roitar
* Blighthound - CONFIRMED, with a caveat: this is a true dmg-doing buff, and therefore is a. an exploit in combat, b. will get your pet killed, and c. can't be used near neutral mobs.
* Consumed Thistle Bear - CONFIRMED (and found) by Socks
* Deviate Plainstrider - CONFIRMED by Robobobr
* Felscale Crawlers - CONFIRMED by Roitar
* Fern Feeder Moth - CONFIRMED
* Fire Rocs - CONFIRMED by Shadowakz & Englishlady
* Ghost Wolves - CONFIRMED
* Icepaw Bears - CONFIRMED
* Infested Bears - CONFIRMED by moxo (keeps disease cloud + buff, no eggs)
* Oiled Fledgeling - CONFIRMED
* Oil-stained Wolves - CONFIRMED
* Rabid Worg / Diseased Elwynn Wolves - CONFIRMED
* Searing Rocs - CONFIRMED
* Silt Crawler - CONFIRMED by Socks
* Vicious Teromoth - CONFIRMED by Rienen
* The Tainted beasts (Bat, Spider & Bear) in The Tainted Forest of Blasted Lands - CONFIRMED by Roitar, with a caveat: this is a true dmg-doing buff, and therefore is a. an exploit in combat, b. will get your pet killed
* The Lone Hunter - CONFIRMED by moxo
* Princess - CONFIRMED by bcofido
*** To get the Armored Boars to catch fire, you'll need someone to throw the torch from the quest "Feed of Evil" (chain leading from "The First Step," doable by Horde characters of any race) to set the boar on fire a few seconds before the tame is complete.
The Oily Wolf/Hawk, Ghost Carrion Bird, Flaming Boar and Lone Hunter were known, but this taming method is far easier. See each of these links for the posts by the original discoverers with info & pics!
Be aware that any buff with a TIMER is not keepable on taming by any known method! Also be aware that ALL of these buffs will be wiped (regardless of pet death affecting the buff in question) by entering Arena.
* * * * *