Does anyone use a bear?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jonmcslain
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Cairne

Does anyone use a bear?

Unread post by Jonmcslain »

I tamed Old Old Grizzlegut a few weeks ago and leveled it up to 85 but now it just sits in the stable pretty much. I can see a value for this thing in a raid for its roar but I'm always pretty much using a dps pet. Does anyone actually have this in their raid pets?

I know the spawn timer on this pet is pretty long so that makes me a bit hesitant of letting it go.

If you use one of these pets let me know why and perhaps I'll end up keeping it.

Thanks for the input!
Konor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garona

Re: Does anyone use a bear?

Unread post by Konor »

I have never and probably will never use my bear in raids or dungeons. He just doesn't really bring anything. However, Tandoori (Diseased Black Bear) is going to get leveled to 85 in the next few days for soloing WOTLK dungeons. He is an amazing tank with decent stamina and defenses. I also have a Gorilla for this but I've had my bear since I was a baby Hunter and I am quite attached to him.
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

If you have the room in your stables, keep him. I don't use a bear for raiding (unless you count Arcturis when BM was good, but even then I only used him in VOA and I raided with Old Cliff Jumper as MM) just because he is a tenacity pet. Tanks get mad if you try to take their aggro. ;-)

I say keep him because you are hesitant to let him go- you like your pet, there's nothing wrong with that!
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

I actually dont have a bear no more on Sas, and somehow.. I usually end up raiding with a wolf still :lol: or when I want, a cat but it depends really. Ive never used anything but a dps pet for raids. But if you have room and you like him, keep him, if your just keeping him because he has a long spawn timer and thats it, let him go and find some pet you click well with.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

I've been tempted to roll a human hunter named Han and tame a brown bear and name him Chewy and stand outside SW cathedral telling all the priests and paladins "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side" and then occasionally have Chewy roar.

Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Moore wrote:I've been tempted to roll a human hunter named Han and tame a brown bear and name him Chewy and stand outside SW cathedral telling all the priests and paladins "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side" and then occasionally have Chewy roar.
:lol:
Razzy
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Razzy »

Moore wrote:I've been tempted to roll a human hunter named Han and tame a brown bear and name him Chewy and stand outside SW cathedral telling all the priests and paladins "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side" and then occasionally have Chewy roar.
/dead from laughter
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Well, seeing as all tanking classes can apply teh same AoE deubff as a pet bear (or carrion bird, for that matter), bears are not worthwhile bringing to raids.

That said, bears are excellent pet tanks for soloing & questing. Demo Roar quickly grabs aggro for your pet, and also provides steady damage mitigation for both you and your bear. Very much worth using as a soloing pet, giving turtles and beetles a run for their money.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Do this and take screenshots please. :D :lol:

As for me, I may have other tenacity pets, but I still run around with Ursa for PvE soloing. :) Yes, even in Tol Barad. Even on a PvP server. Even though this means that I am often stuck PvPing with a bear, which isn't terribly effective as compared to my croc. Bears are still very solid tanks for PvE soloing. :D He never bats an eye at Problim, for example. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I second Kalli's opinion. My bear Hatred is always on call, even in raids. In fact, especially in raids in case we have a near-kill and lose the tank(s). Favorite raid pets for me otherwise are Loque and Hubris (corehound).
Samarachan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Samarachan »

Don't nor I think i will use a bear, simply because none of them look tempting enough to tame...I'm more of a looks person, and so far all the bear skins are kinda meh. Sorry if this isn't on topic just needed to let it out.

Unless they add the unused blue skin...>_>
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

I'm convinced that the unused blue skin was just developed to serve as a template from which Arcturis was created.
That said, I would really like to see this bear model get put into use:

_____

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I doubt that skin/model will ever be put in, as it was created by mapping the Baby Polar bear skin onto a regular bear skeleton.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Ah, I was wondering where that came from.

_____