Accurate Ghostcrawler Pathing Map

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Juzelle
Realm: Dawnbringer

Accurate Ghostcrawler Pathing Map

Unread post by Juzelle »

Greetings Hunters!

I actually joined these forums for the direct purpose of posting this.

I managed to ding 85 in two days of casual leveling, and have been on the hunt for rares ever since.
So far have been quite lucky with Sambas, Terrorpene, & Ghostcrawler joining my stable. Frustratingly,
with cata less than a week old, accurate information & confirmed coordinates are still a hard thing to
come by.

I was out in vashj'ir early this morning doing a sweep for Mobus, a rare elite who drops a nice 345 BoE
polearm, and I spotted Ghostcrawler scuttling along the bottom back by the abandoned reef. I spammed
in Local, sent out some tells, and decided to watch over him till someone came to tame. Well, nobody
ever came, and over the course of about an hour. I documented his entire pathing from start to finish.

I've heard tales of him de-spawning, and while following him I observed a rather interesting trait.

Over the course of his journey, he will periodically 'phase out' (similar to what Warpstalkers do) and
become completely undetectable/untrackable. However, after 30-33 seconds (I timed it), he will
reappear about 20-30 yards away, still moving in whatever direction he was traveling before he phased.
He does this like clockwork over the course of his journey from start to finish, making him a little
unnerving to follow. If you see him drop off your tracking, start counting, and he should reappear soon.

Using the information I collected, I've created a fairly accurate map:

It's a little low-res (blame photobucket), but it gives a pretty good idea of where he paths. Time period
wise, I generally see him between 1am and 5am. I tamed him earlier this week on the 13th, at about 5:47a
EST, which was 4:47a server.

Hopefully this will help anyone out there still looking for this little guy :3
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Re: Accurate Ghostcrawler Pathing Map

Unread post by Golden »

Wow, that is some amazing information! Thank you! :D

I just have one question... What happens when he reaches the End point of his patrol? If you mentioned it in your post, I'm just blind. XD
Juzelle

Unread post by Juzelle »

[quote="Golden"]I just have one question... What happens when he reaches the End point of his patrol?[/quote]

He stops, turns around, and retraces the path.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Wow, what an awesome opportunity. Well done :)

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Thats an amazing map. Go you!
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Icharia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kil'jaeden US

Unread post by Icharia »

I know you've said mostly accurate, but how did you go about drawing up the map? I only ask because your map doesn't show him pathing any of the places I have personally found him, tamed him and followed him, nor his general direction through those areas.

SS included. If I ever manage to get Sambas I'll have to see if I can follow him around myself, maybe it's a server thing (as I've never seen him southern yet on the 'Hoof).
Attachments
First.jpg
First.jpg (468.32 KiB) Viewed 10958 times
Place2.jpg
Place2.jpg (524.08 KiB) Viewed 10958 times
Tamed.jpg
Tamed.jpg (708.91 KiB) Viewed 10958 times
Same place as "Place2" heading south along the rim
Same place as "Place2" heading south along the rim
PlacePic.jpg (400.56 KiB) Viewed 10958 times
Last edited by Icharia on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fido
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Fido »

This is very helpful for those still on the hunt for this beauty. Thanks for the info!

- Foil on Llane

Juzelle

Unread post by Juzelle »

[quote="Icharia"]I know you've said mostly accurate, but how did you go about drawing up the map? I only ask because your map doesn't show him pathing any of the places I have personally found him, tamed him and followed him, nor his general direction through those areas.

SS included. If I ever manage to get Sambas I'll have to see if I can follow him around myself, maybe it's a server thing (as I've never seen him southern yet on the 'Hoof).[/quote]

I took like 80+ screenshots, and in photoshop, in a seperate later, made a guide path, and then just added
in each screenshot of the map in sequential order. after that it was a game of connect the dots :3.

mostly accurate was more of a self refferential joke than anything. Kind of like saying the tooltip on the herb
transformation, i.e: 'nobody can see you... or can they?'. Juzelle is pretty reliable... or is she? XD
Rozetta
Realm: Moonrunner

Unread post by Rozetta »

Awesome map, really. I've seen Terrorpene do the same disappearing act.
Icharia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Icharia »

Juzelle wrote: I took like 80+ screenshots, and in photoshop, in a seperate later, made a guide path, and then just added
in each screenshot of the map in sequential order. after that it was a game of connect the dots :3.

mostly accurate was more of a self refferential joke than anything. Kind of like saying the tooltip on the herb
transformation, i.e: 'nobody can see you... or can they?'. Juzelle is pretty reliable... or is she? XD
Okay ^^ well then I'll just have to assume he has more than one path, or randomly decides he is very tired of going the same direction and changes it up. So curious this little ghost crab is, I'll have to attempt to stalk him soon.
Juzelle

Unread post by Juzelle »

[quote="Icharia"]

Okay ^^ well then I'll just have to assume he has more than one path, or randomly decides he is very tired of going the same direction and changes it up. So curious this little ghost crab is, I'll have to attempt to stalk him soon.[/quote]

all joking aside that map is as accurate as I could make it. like 99% accurate. I don't think
he has more than one path. given the few videos I've seen (BRK's beta vids), screenshots,
and firsthand observation, you can recognize clear landmarks in the area (clusters of bones,
etc), and he seems to hit all of them in order, backwards and forwards..
Icharia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Icharia »

Juzelle wrote: all joking aside that map is as accurate as I could make it. like 99% accurate. I don't think
he has more than one path. given the few videos I've seen (BRK's beta vids), screenshots,
and firsthand observation, you can recognize clear landmarks in the area (clusters of bones,
etc), and he seems to hit all of them in order, backwards and forwards..
Except for the fact that I have him walking south along the ridge in a screenshot, and between two clumps of trees where I tamed him toward the ridge, and as far north as you can go. None of which is on your map. So either he has more than one path, or there was an error in how you drew up the map. Personally I'd just like to think he has two paths or sometimes changes it up :) I won't know until I find him myself and follow him around.
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

This is exactly the information I've been looking for! Thank you! :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Kauqilla
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord(The Hustle)

Unread post by Kauqilla »

Thanks to you I just got him on Wyrmrest Accord at 11:23 eastern right where you map said he would be....AT THE START!! i about cried as he warped twice.....but /tar ghost prevailed! *happy spazzy worgen dance*
Lorelaine
Realm: The Maelstrom EU

Unread post by Lorelaine »

Gratz on the tame Korovah! camping him at the moment, but I'm getting tired :) been camping for 12h now hehe.
thanks for the awesome map aswell!
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Location: A certain house in Gilneas as long as I can sneak in to camp out there.

Unread post by Karma »

I got him tonight just on a random drive by--no map, no npc scan warning. Just popped through, looked down, saw him, tamed and took screenshot and was back in org less than 5 minutes after I left it. I still cannot believe it. I don't even know where in his spawn area I tamed him--I just fell off my seahorse and tried to not panic. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
nirvana
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dalaran US

Unread post by nirvana »

Not sure I buy that GC doesn't despawn....I saw him on my druid, logged off instantly, logged on hunter in SW....took portal, maybe 5min til I got out there...and nothin'. I swam around for at least 30min and didn't see him again. I know for a fact there were no alliance hunters out there to tame him, and I didn't see anyone at all around on my druid when she was herbing out there.

Sad. :(
Juzelle

Unread post by Juzelle »

[quote="nirvana"]Not sure I buy that GC doesn't despawn....I saw him on my druid, logged off instantly, logged on hunter in SW....took portal, maybe 5min til I got out there...and nothin'. I swam around for at least 30min and didn't see him again. I know for a fact there were no alliance hunters out there to tame him, and I didn't see anyone at all around on my druid when she was herbing out there.

Sad. :([/quote]

I never explicitly said said 'he doesn't despawn'. if that's what you're reading, you're unfortunately misunderstanding
what I was saying.

I just reported that while observing his pathing, he would periodically 'phase out' for 30-33 seconds, which, if
you were not aware of this behavior, could lead someone to think that he despawned completely. I initially
thought that he had pathed THROUGH the landscape (i.e: through a hillside/reef, whatever). I tried putting
a raid target on his head, but when he phases he's gone completely. So I'm not saying explicitly 'HE DOESN'T
DESPAWN EVER', just that when active, he displays this weird trait and that people should be aware of it.

Also,depending on your server pop, it's not unrealistic to say that in a 5 minute period someone could have
taken the portal to silver tide hollow & swam over there within that time. So who knows?
Juzelle

Unread post by Juzelle »

[quote="Karma"]I got him tonight just on a random drive by--no map, no npc scan warning.[/quote]

Score! grats on your taming!

I found him at around 16.4 / 73.8, and very nearly fell out of my chair scrambling to swim down to him.
it's still kind of crazy seeing him in my stable :3
Juzelle

Unread post by Juzelle »

[quote="Icharia"][quote="Juzelle"]
all joking aside that map is as accurate as I could make it. like 99% accurate. I don't think
etc), and he seems to hit all of them in order, backwards and forwards..[/quote]

Except for the fact that I have him walking south along the ridge in a screenshot, and between two clumps of trees where I tamed him toward the ridge, and as far north as you can go. None of which is on your map. So either he has more than one path, or there was an error in how you drew up the map. Personally I'd just like to think he has two paths or sometimes changes it up :) I won't know until I find him myself and follow him around.[/quote]

hence mostly accurate.