@ hunters who have sambas

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Button
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: @ hunters who have sambas

Unread post by Button »

I agree. I've had this happen to me on several occasions while I was out looking for Terrorpene. I just try to remind my self that these people have nothing better to do than to try to make other people as miserable as they are, just like the people who will kill a mob you already tagged and were in the middle of taming.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

Button wrote:I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
aww ty. still looking! as far as the addon situation goes with the cache, the way that npcscan finds mobs is by their id number. rares have a unique id number, and as soon as your computer caches it, the addon goes off. it has a much wider range than addons that just spam a nameplate targeting macro. the only problem is that once you have cached a rare creature, your addon won't be able to "find" it again for you because the finding process happens when that unique id is added to your cache the first time, so you have to periodically delete it. it's normally not a big deal, it only sucks when you are competing for a tame and have to log out for it.

you can see what you have cached by typing /npcscan and looking for red x's next to mob names. always check after you have been in a major city!

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

You can also type "/npcscan cache" and it will name off the ones you have cached. Tells you the same thing as Vetiver's method, just shows up differently. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Vetiver »

oh nice i didn't know that haha. that saves some time and scrolling :)

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Reminds me the first few days when Arcturis was released. He was the first SB Rosalyn could go for and the first one i really, really showed interest for in her , there was some asshat hunter who had tamed Arc and then was EoTBing him around and to top it off he HAD named his bear, right after the wild name.

He was having fun hiding behind his little tree and causing about a dozen hunters to cry in grief and rage- myself included.

And while there's nothing you can do for these retards, I would suggest a fallback macro of /target Sambas, it's what I used, ironically, to find mine after npc scan had been so unreliable [caching Sambas without me ever seeing OR any warning going off]
Ascalaphus
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Ascalaphus »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:You actually don't have to clear your cache for SilverDragon. It will always find a rare for you even after you've already seen it. It's why I run with both NPC_Scan and SilverDragon for rare hunting.
Oooh, I did not know that! Thanks for the info. :D
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Eleos wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:You actually don't have to clear your cache for SilverDragon. It will always find a rare for you even after you've already seen it. It's why I run with both NPC_Scan and SilverDragon for rare hunting.
Oooh, I did not know that! Thanks for the info. :D
My pleasure. ^_^

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

...actually, I'll probably level my Madexx from 84 to 85 farming leather in Uldum--not really fond of Tol Barad or Twilight Highlands. Don't worry, I'll be down south, not skinning scorps near the spawn points :)

It does strike me as a little much, complaining about someone disrupting your automated scanning addon, though. Guess I'm old school :)
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

i think sadly, alot of hunters have had this happen to them :( it has happend to me when camping loque. though i can see it as a 2 edged sword, yes purposley flyig through spawn points of lets say sambas with a sambas out it rude, wrong, terrible, the list goes on. though to say not to bring the pet out in the zone at all is just as bad ( I KNOW THE OP DIDNT SAY THIS, I HAVE SEEN IT WHILE PLAYING IN GEN. CHAT). i use npcscan and silver dragon but i dont 100% rely on them, i still scroll over every dot on my mini map, i am still old school. my actve stable pretty much never changes except for the last slot. if your farming in a zone the pet spawns in, then try to avoid spawn points ( i avoid them like the plague) for me i only use sambas and karoma for anything, and terrorpene for tanking.

again to me, its a double edged word on this topic. just imo though :/
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

gormanghaste wrote: It does strike me as a little much, complaining about someone disrupting your automated scanning addon, though. Guess I'm old school :)
^_ This. Whenever I'm camping, I've got NPC-scan running, but I do not go afk. I don't rely on the addon because it has failed me a fair few times. I scroll over the dots on my map when I do flybys, just to double check.
It's rude to take your zone pet out on the camping spots, but you can't really get all pissy over it if someone has their pet out in the zone while questing etc. I avoid taking my pets out for walkies in their respective zones so that they won't give people false alarms, but I won't stop using my favourite pets just because someone is too lazy to double check their macros and map.

I know there's people who don't really have the time to do active camping, but if you're doing a quick fly over, I don't think you've got the right to complain if you're too lazy to go through the dots on your map and relying too much on your addon. Players who're actively camping for their pets though, there's not an awful lot else you can do about it but kindly ask them to use another pet and just keep clearing your cache. And reporting griefers of course.

I'm pretty old school as well, and I like to make macros that I bind to my keyboard and spam whenever I'm close to a spawn point.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Vetiver »

gormanghaste wrote:It does strike me as a little much, complaining about someone disrupting your automated scanning addon, though. Guess I'm old school :)

eh, to each their own. but if i have to sit somewhere for 10 hours at a time, i pretty much do not want to be breaking my macro button trying to spam target the whole time, as i am sure just about no one else wants to do either. i also enjoy electricity, cars, and indoor plumbing for many of the same reasons. ^_^

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Vetiver wrote:
gormanghaste wrote:It does strike me as a little much, complaining about someone disrupting your automated scanning addon, though. Guess I'm old school :)

eh, to each their own. but if i have to sit somewhere for 10 hours at a time, i pretty much do not want to be breaking my macro button trying to spam target the whole time, as i am sure just about no one else wants to do either. i also enjoy electricity, cars, and indoor plumbing for many of the same reasons. ^_^

Having a macro to fall back onto tho, is not such a bad thing- and honestly until a few months ago it's how I got all my rares.

All of them.

Which ofc left me unprepared for npc's scan BLARGLEHOLYSHIRARE bugling or whatever the word is.

And as I said, it is good to have it to fall back onto, why? As I said NPCscan was acting very peculiar for me. Especially for Sambas, it claimed to have cached him in Highlands, but it never alerted me nor gave a warning. It claimed whenever I zoned, Sambas had been cached, yet at the time only 2 hunters had Sambas and they were no where near me. It also claimed this for old world rares such as Grunter or Spite- claiming I had seen them/they were cached, yet never gave me warning, never said nothing, never targeted. And no this wasn't from running in a city or seeing other hunters, I cleared cache before hopping onto the three toons/switching between them.

But Macros are still something that should be used too, just incase :p
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Vetiver »

i do have a macro as well, i just don't want to go back to the old days of hitting it repeatedly :(

i have actually noticed my npcscan doing the same thing with sambas. none of the others, just sambas. bug? or phasing issue?

Feath3r
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Feath3r »

gormanghaste wrote:...actually, I'll probably level my Madexx from 84 to 85 farming leather in Uldum--not really fond of Tol Barad or Twilight Highlands. Don't worry, I'll be down south, not skinning scorps near the spawn points :)

It does strike me as a little much, complaining about someone disrupting your automated scanning addon, though. Guess I'm old school :)
It's not that they are making it harder or that they're messing with the addon... it's that they're being big enough assholes to do it intentionally to grief Hunters, whether they're hunting for pets or achievement/loot rares.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Vetiver wrote:eh, to each their own. but if i have to sit somewhere for 10 hours at a time, i pretty much do not want to be breaking my macro button trying to spam target the whole time, as i am sure just about no one else wants to do either. i also enjoy electricity, cars, and indoor plumbing for many of the same reasons. ^_^
ok, that made me laugh :)
Dekota
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Dekota »

yanno what I hate with a passion? Alliance hunters standing at Sambas' spawn areas with their pets out. If you have Track Beast on their pet will show as a Red Dot on your map. Nothing spawns down the long stretch of path where Sambas has a few spawn spots aside from the spiders that are underground and those are easy enough to spot and dismiss. If flying over a tamed Sambas isn't bad enough.. having your heart stop after seeing a single red dot on the path is just as bad.

If you are a Horde or Alliance Hunter camping one of his spots..dismiss your damn pet -_-

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

Dekota wrote:yanno what I hate with a passion? Alliance hunters standing at Sambas' spawn areas with their pets out. If you have Track Beast on their pet will show as a Red Dot on your map. Nothing spawns down the long stretch of path where Sambas has a few spawn spots aside from the spiders that are underground and those are easy enough to spot and dismiss. If flying over a tamed Sambas isn't bad enough.. having your heart stop after seeing a single red dot on the path is just as bad.

If you are a Horde or Alliance Hunter camping one of his spots..dismiss your damn pet -_-
That's just pure griefing (unless they just tamed the pet of course). I don't know what Blizzard's answer would be to it, but you could at least try to ticket such behaviour. It should be fair for all. Reminds me of that one player who hired a whole guild to gank anyone who entered Twilight Highlands so they couldn't reach 85 before him... >.>
becauze

Unread post by becauze »

I did this once on my troll hunter with the glow bear. There was a mass of alliance hunters camping the spot all showing off their pets and what not. So I made sure no other horde hunters were around I popped up on the edge of the ledge and send him down to the area, I have never seen so many hunters lay down frost traps in my life. It forced most of them to log out to clear their npc scan and while they did he spawned and my friend got him.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

becauze wrote:I did this once on my troll hunter with the glow bear. There was a mass of alliance hunters camping the spot all showing off their pets and what not. So I made sure no other horde hunters were around I popped up on the edge of the ledge and send him down to the area, I have never seen so many hunters lay down frost traps in my life. It forced most of them to log out to clear their npc scan and while they did he spawned and my friend got him.
Tbh that was really, really cruel of you. Especially after admitting that you made sure there were no hunters of Xfaction. I've had it pulled on me even without me having NPCscan at the time. It's no different than naming the mob after it's wild name so you can trip people up using macros too :/
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

Ryai wrote: Tbh that was really, really cruel of you. Especially after admitting that you made sure there were no hunters of Xfaction. I've had it pulled on me even without me having NPCscan at the time. It's no different than naming the mob after it's wild name so you can trip people up using macros too :/
This is the reason I personally don't prefer it when people name their pets after the beasts in the wild. I've always thought it's a little bit uncreative (no offense to those who really like the names) and it's a real annoyance whenever the name is used in attempt to grief someone.
Last edited by erwil on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.