Hunter Etiquette - What to do?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Hunter Etiquette - What to do?

Unread post by Araela »

Greetings hunters!

My main is a Blood Elf huntress on Korgath - but I have another hunter ally side also. Factions aside, I have a question about etiquette.

Here's the situation:

I am leveling Leatherworking. To do this, I have been fishing volatile fire out of the lava pools in Mount Hyjal (leveling fishing in the process), and killing beasts in Twilight Highlands in the northeast. I have Terrorpene and Sambas, so I don't care if other hunters are out there looking for them. Ordinarily, I try to be considerate of people's NPCScans and not have those pets out when I am in the area of their spawn point.

The way I see it, if you're a hunter, and you're looking for a rare pet- regardless of whether or not I am also looking for that rare pet- I wish you the best of luck getting it. I am not going to hinder your chances at a rare pet just because I want it too.

The problem is, whether or not I am fishing, or skinning, I am getting attacked by other hunters for being in the area of the spawn. I have gotten yelled at by members of my own faction demanding to know what I am doing in the area. When I tell them I already have Sambas or Terrorpene, they demand to see it to verify that I am not looking for "THEIR" spawn.

Now before people go off on me- YES, I play on a PVP server, and YES, I expect to get attacked from time to time, corpse camped, etc. That does not, however, mean that I expect to get harassed by nearly every alliance hunter I run in to just because I am near their hunting ground for a rare pet.

So what do I do? I decided to try out having the pet out, and saying "screw it" about NPCScan. This has resulted in better reactions- except that other hunters are then upset at me for having the pet. I had two alliance hunters come up and /cry on the shoulder of my pet before they flew off. I made a lowbie alt to whisper each of them and let them know the situation- that I had them out to show that yes, I have it, but that it was tamed weeks ago and that no, I do not know when it was last killed/tamed. One of these individuals actually had an addon that prevented level 1 toons from whispering him, so I asked in general if someone would whisper him and have him whisper me. I am going out of my way for these people to try to help them... Overall, if I have the pet out, I am not getting attacked anymore except for an ally hunter and his pally and spriest friend who wanted to "Get revenge" on me for taming the pet and tried corpse camping me at the lava pools. Sigh...

Well, I'm not going to drop my queues every time I see an ally hunter get upset about me having the pet to go hop on an alt and try to explain to them. I am not going to rename my pets "Tamedwksago" or something along those lines, since that probably wouldn't fit in the allotted space anyway- haha. I am also not going to stop trying to get leather or volatile fire from those areas because those are the best areas to find those particular commodities.

So my question is.. what would you guys do? What DO you do if you have been in this situation?

I don't want to deceive other hunters or hinder their chances of getting a pet. I don't care if you're Alliance or Horde- I just want to get my LW up without paying ridiculous prices on the AH, and be able to farm for some mats to sell I want to. Do I run around and get ganked relentlessly because other hunters assume I am going for the rare pet, or do I run around with that rare pet to show that I already have it and risk revenge ganks or deceiving other hunters who jump to conclusions about when the pet was tamed?

EDIT:

I also wanted to add that I posted this in the Pets subforum because it seemed to pertain more to that forum than any other section.
Last edited by Araela on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aweena
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: Hunter Etiquette - What to do?

Unread post by Aweena »

not much you can do people will be ass hats no mater what we do

some nice people usually wont care if your in the same area and those that get upset well they will get upset yes it can be frustrating to hunt for a rare pet you really want but as far as i can see you haven't done anything wrong and all you can do is maybe continue to be around at some point they will probably understand that you are done with your hunt and they have nothing to worry about and maybe you could move your fishing for fire to cannons pit i have seen a few pools there too don't know if that would help a little with at least that

just remember when they do gank you that they are just people mostly younger ones and at least you have your conciousness clear for not being an ass hat

If love is an illusion to hell with reality

Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Bah, what a horrible situation. :/ It's sad that people can be so rude/OTT, even if on a PVP server... After all, even if you were camping the spawn to tame it, you have as much right as they do x_x

The only things I can think of would be to possibly tame a "trash pet" and call it NotHereToTame/OnlyFarming/DoNotWantSambas or something. Alternatively use another character, or a friend's character, that is non-hunter, to farm. Hopefully someone has a better solution than that though because I'd hate to do both of those things :x

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

What would I do? First off, I would make sure I wasn't using the pet that was in the area. I've seen enough complaints about NPC scan going off around here that I don't need to be doing that to another person. There are plenty of other pets that a person can use.

Secondly, I would pretty much just ignore the fact that they're attacking me thinking I'm 'after their spawn' if I'm fishing fire. They're the one wasting their time and energy when they could be hunting the pet!

And thirdly, I'd find a different place to farm leather if there's gankers around too often. There's plenty of places to get lots of leather without having to be in the area of Sambas' spawn. Twilight Highlands or otherwise!

I'm a very easygoing person, really. :) It is likely because I don't play on a PVP server, though. Which is the first line of defense.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

That's true actually, though TWH is probably the second best place to farm leather (the first being crocolisks in TB... but that may be annoying if it's a PVP server). :/ In all honesty, if one wants to actually farm leather efficiently, those are the only two zones that aren't completely and utterly pointless to farm in that I can think of. Hyjal and Vash'jir give scraps as opposed to full pieces of leather (therefore more mobs to kill to obtain leather) and Deepholm isn't exactly bursting with leather-dropping beasts (though possibly the stone drakes are worth a look?). And when it takes 5 pieces of normal leather to make 1 heavy, and you need 10 heavies to either craft 1 item or buy 1 recipe... you want to be farming productively, lol :x But Cathy, if you haven't checked out the crocolisks in TB yet it'd definitely be worth a go, and perhaps when your faction is holding the zone PVPers will be less of a bother?

Another thing I just thought of as an afterthought for the OP, what about leather farming in that area between the river and Sambas' far right spawn area (that raised ledge area)? Or you could do what I do, and fly between the wolf pack and that Sambas area.

Mrh, I don't know really. Just shooting off ideas. I'm also trying to level leatherworking... I'm not even on a PVP server and it's painful enough, eeh.

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

Yeah I started as alliance on a PVE server, decided to roll horde on a PVP server and absolutely love it. I have definitely done the crocs in TB and they are awesome- I've also been trying to get the fox kit pet from the Foxes over there so I'm definitely over there on a regular basis. On my server there is definitely a LOT of PVP going on, which I expect, but you get all kinds in TB- people that want to do dailies, people that want HKs, and people that are there for an alternate purpose (raid, farming leather, etc).

As for a trash pet I would probably consider that if I had room in my stables hahaha. But I don't as of right now.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Fishing at the lava pool where Terrorpene spawns will piss off jerks that can't stand a little competition. Fishing at the lava pools with your tamed Terrorpene out will piss off everyone with _NPCScan that wants Terrorpene themselves. To put it another way, I don't care for the people who were pestering you for threatening their Terrorpene camping, but I do feel bad for those two Alliance players who /cried on the shoulder of your pet Terrorpene - they didn't even try to kill you for having cruelly raised then dashed their hopes. So, no matter what, do not pull out Terrorpene while fishing your Volatile Fires.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

Whoa Cia- if you read the whole post you will see that I went and talked to both of them and they thanked me for the info. Don't nerdrage on me lol. They said they totally understand and they have both done the same thing because they have had the same problem with Karoma and Madexx. :P
Xelophant82
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Bloodhoof

Unread post by Xelophant82 »

I actually got freaked a few times while camping terrorpene from other hunters having it out while doing what you said. I didn't mind really and would always ask them info about the tame and such to try and help my camp out. I have yet to run into any aggressive hunters like you have. Mainly just alliance hunters being rude and such to me. Doesn't matter to me though I always greet everyone with a /hello and will just sweep the area if there are to many there.

Most horde hunters have been good at relaying info to me about spawn times and tames to me so I guess I've been fortunate?
Vasken
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Vasken »

Don't have Terropene out by his spawn! If he flashed up on NPCscan as someone's pet, I'd presume he was someone's fresh tame and leave the area. Although you're getting flack without him, you're dashing a few player's dreams by keeping him nearby. :(

Just rightfully /ignore the tarts and don't hassle the innocent campers!
Last edited by Vasken on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Floof the Sambas!

Vasken - Troll Hunter - Argent Dawn EU

DeviantART || Skreel's Dragon Lair

Neith
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Mannoroth

Unread post by Neith »

Put harassers on ignore. You're taking this too much to heart, if you want to be polite to other hunters then just keep a different pet out with you than the rare that shows up in the area you're in, like don't have Terrorpene out when you're in Hyjal, so it doesn't set off the addon for hunters looking to tame him. If someone whispers you screaming about the pet and such, just add them to your ignore list and don't bother replying, because they aren't worth your time and energy.
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Araela »

I disagree about taking it to heart- though I understand what you're saying. The main reason I wanted to ask the community here as to your opinions is because I was hoping others had experienced somethings similar and might have some advice for me from their own experiences.

I have been on both sides of the spectrum- camping for a rare and fighting other hunters for it, or just happen to be near where a rare spawns and then harassed for being there. I think the main thing for hunters to remember is what has been said in here a few times already; you have as much of a right to hunt for the rare as any other hunter.

I'll leave it at "Best of luck to anyone hunting" and "Try not to harass other hunters in the area, regardless of whether or not you think they are hunting for the same pet you are."
Bodhran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstrasza

Unread post by Bodhran »

hmmm. Well my first POV is screw them let them yell at you. I know that I don't let a hunter being in the area scare me off. I might not stick around as long but then again I camp rares at off hours anyway so if another hunter it there they are there for the long haul most likely. :/ Maybe try and whisper filter/blocker addon.

Second thought that jumped to my head is if you have your pet out and I fly by and it messed up my NPCScan/NPCScan overlay/Silverdragon that would make me more pissed then another hunter being there 'camping my rare'. It means logging out and deleting your cache.

Simple thing might be using your idea of name a pet but not having it be the rare. Get a 'throw away pet' and name it something along the lines of "MatsNotRares", "FarmingMats", "NotAfterURpet" or something along the lines so they get why you are there.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Hunter:
-Hunters now earn Valor Points when they are effectively Vote Kicked from a Dungeon Finder group.
-Ettin’s Grip (new talent) allows the hunter to equip two ranged weapons simultaneously.

Dream skins to tame:
Fandral Staghelm Fire Cat Form. Kor'kron War/Veteran/Warbringer of the Horde PVP wolf mount. Xuen/Litter of Xuen! Legion Wolf Boss.
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Cathyliz7 wrote:Whoa Cia- if you read the whole post you will see that I went and talked to both of them and they thanked me for the info. Don't nerdrage on me lol. They said they totally understand and they have both done the same thing because they have had the same problem with Karoma and Madexx. :P
I'm sorry that I offended you. My point was to look at this from the perspective of your impact on the other hunters who want Terrorpene. The only ones that will mind you fishing over in the lava pool without evidence of your Terrorpene tame are those that simply can't stand a little competition. If they can't take you for your word that you are just fishing and have no interest in Terrorpene, that's their problem. However, fishing with your tamed Terrorpene out will irk friendly and unfriendly hunters alike, and for what I believe to be a far better reason than in the previous case. They will see it as you rudely flaunting your Terrorpene tame in the one area where he spawns, using your tame to cause them misery. I wasn't accusing you of in fact wishing to intentionally do that to other hunters, and apologize for not having been clear earlier. I do respect that you tried to contact the two hunters you mentioned, and had originally started your volatile fire farming with Terrorpene safely stabled out of your concern for others. While I see your motive for fishing with your tamed Terrorpene in plain sight, I am giving you my opinion that doing so will harm others who never meant any harm to you and thus is probably not good etiquette.

_____

Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

Punch them right in the face D:

seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by seclipse »

well on my server, most hunters are.. well to put it bluntly <censored> errrr act like 10yr olds over a toy. i dont ask for help from others (because you wont get it lol), and i dont hinder others in there efforts to get a pet even its a horde (pvp server). BUT if another hunter starts to badger me, harass me, or attempt to gank me(depends on the attack, repeated or justa plain pvp attack) because im around a spawn point i will go out of my way to prevent there tame. and i hate to say it but i have prevented some hunters from tameing rares because they would littereally DEMAND that i leave, even if i already had the pet lol or repeatedly attempt or succeed to kill me. distracting shot/taunt(pet) works wonders mid tame lol.

now im not a <censored>. i pay to PLAY the game and have fun. not be harassed because of were im at or why im there.
p.s i try my best to not kill a rare spawn, just mess with the peep who harrassed me to the point of them giving up/getting killed then ill tame and or have a friend nearby who will tame BUT it does happen.

/endrant
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

to me this is one of those things where it feels like, there is no right or wrong answer. as for the people who were bashing/being rude/ camping you that just rude and wrong, a rare is fair game for anyone.

as for having the pets out in the zones they spawn in.. that a ... well... tough one to weigh. i mean, if you want to have lets say.. Sambas out whie farming stuff in TH or even questing then you should be able to. Yes it sucks hard core it will set scanners off, but then if people dont want to relog and clear cache, then do it the old fashion way, run around and scroll over every dot on your mini map. It is what i do anymore since scans are set of by pets and dont always pick up the rare.

the way i see it: if you want to have a pet out that is a rare and do quests, farm mats in any zone be it where they spawn or not, there is no problem but now if you start running around purplsly in their spawn point ( not saying you are talking just in general) then thats messed.

So the way i see it and again just imo, if you want to use sambas in th and farm mats go ahead! same for terrorpene and being in hyjal, but if it seems the rude people are becoming to much, then maybe bring out a non rare you have or non cata rare?

i know it does suck i have sambas, terrorpene and karoma and they never leave my stable they are pretty much the only pets i use... so it does make it hard when i want to quest or farm and it involves going to their zone, since i dont want to set of peoples scans but i dont want to have to wait/bring a pet i dont want to use because of it.

this is truely something that is a double edged blade, it can fall both ways, everyone will have their own opinion... as for me gogo old school scrolling over verydot on the mini map!! FTW
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

What should you do? Farm your leather in Tol Barad :P
The crocolisk daily... SO MUCH LEATHER just sits out there rotting. So sad.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

if armory wasn't being ultra stupid you could just make them go there to look at your stable and see your terrorpene...but it's not loading pics of the rares for some reason.

you could maybe try putting up a dnd message? like /dnd just farming fire, not here for your pet :P

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Siliverin wrote:So the way i see it and again just imo, if you want to use sambas in th and farm mats go ahead! same for terrorpene and being in hyjal, but if it seems the rude people are becoming to much, then maybe bring out a non rare you have or non cata rare?
Well, I certainly find it rude to have a tamed rare pet at your side while you're busy in the area where said rare spawns. However, if you land in Terrorpene's lava pool, send me a tell stating that you will not interfere with my tame if Terrorpene spawns, and start fishing, I would hardly call that rude. If you want others to be considerate to you, being considerate to others is a good idea.

_____