Spirit mend

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Alandoriel
Realm: die Silberne Hand (german Realm)

Spirit mend

Unread post by Alandoriel »

With cataclysm spirit strike has been replaced with spirit mend but I admit I am unable to find out how it ist used effectively.
Though it can be set to autocast it looks like it is not being cast unless a friendly character ist targeted.
Targeting a friendly character and manually activate the ability works fine however.
Since Spirit Beasts are ferrocious they are usually targeted at enemies and they don't seem to be smart enough to autocast their spriti mend on group members with low HP.
I guess I'll need some sort of macro to put spirit mend to use, but since I am not good with macros, has anybody an Idea how this is done?
Or maybe there is a much simpler way or I'm simply mistaken with any of the above.
Please let me know.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: Spirit mend

Unread post by Acherontia »

They do autocast on friendly targets, and the targets do NOT have to be the pet's target. The target DOES however have to be in your party.

So, if you are in a BG, and you take heavy damage, the pet will usually come back and heal you on its own. Also, in dungeons, it will heal the tank if the heal is left on autocast.

If you would like a macro, you can use this one to cast it on yourself:

#showtooltip Spirit Mend
/cast [target=player] Spirit Mend

If you would like the Spirit Mend macro to show the proper icon even when the Spirit Beast is away (which would normally make a black icon with a red ?, as there is no Spirit Mend available), you will need to manually choose the correct icon when you make the macro.

Or, you can make target=focus if you want to use it to heal your Focus target. You can make it so that it heals you with one key, and a Focus target with a modifier key, in the same macro--but I'm not sure how that one would be worded.
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

They'll heal themselves, you, party members, raid members, BG and arena teammates, as long as they're with you they'll get healed if it's necessary. It's extremely helpful since it makes Spirit Beasts the most durable of the Ferocity pets when you're soloing and questing.

I've never gotten any comments about it, but I've seen my Loque's Spirit Mend go off all the time in instances, someone reaches 50% and he helps with the heals.

Rathan
Realm: Blades edge

Unread post by Rathan »

It can be a very useful ability, i was in a dungeon the other day and my Skoll saved the fight. The healer and all other party members were dead at the very end of a boss fight the spirit mend kept me alive just long enough to finish the boss off
Alandoriel
Realm: die Silberne Hand (german Realm)

Unread post by Alandoriel »

Ah, thanks for both the info and the macro.
It seems I just failed to notice the autocast but usually you have other things on your mind in combat. ;-)
I thought a spirit beast would be a good pet when the healer had trouble to heep the tank healthy but frankly I did not see any difference (which means the tank died anyway) but probably the spirit beasts heal was simply not enough to make up for the lack of the healers/tanks gear.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

My spirit beast's mend hits for ~4000 (and can crit AFAIK), and ticks for around half of that, adding up to around 12k healing. This isn't enough to make the pet a solo healer, but it *is* enough to make a hell of a difference in an arena, BG, or dungeon. For me, Spirit Beast is the default go-to in a raid when all the bonuses are accounted for. I leave it on autocast and never see it come off CD for more than a second, as he keeps chucking it on the tank. Or I'll take it off autocast and activate it manually in fights where there's a lot of damage on one person.

I've been considering getting Clique for my Spirit Heal, to be able to quickly target and click-heal someone in situations like that. It would've been great in the old Kel'thuzad battle, for instance, when a group got ice blocked and the healers were too focused spam-healing the tank to get all of them.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

Unread post by Kormai »

I use Clique for my spirit mend and misdirection (to other group members that aren't the main tank...like off-tank sometimes...and when I want to annoy friends :D). It makes it really easy, though if I leave it on auto-cast it's usually on cooldown when I go to use it. At least I know my pet is helping out!

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

It can crit yeah, it crit me once for nearly 8k on the initial heal. While that's not much, it's nice to have a steady stream of "set and forget" miniheals in PvE, and that little extra something in PvP (I tend to use the macro to heal early & often in PvP).
evanmac
Realm: Hakkar - EU

Unread post by evanmac »

Today I read by chance this thread, and I figured how to configure healbot to heal myself (or another target in my party) with pet heal ability, so healbot works fine, letting you to configure any spell (or macro) with any mouse button plus modifier; a very powerful tool, not only for healers :D

btw, healbot is the second "healer addon" I use with my hunter, the first was flototembar; a tool to manage the totem bar, I start using it with my resto shammy :D
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

as a dreanei with Gift of the naaru..its awsome XD
And i have it macroed so i control it myself instead of letting pet casting it in the blue.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Tufak
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tufak »

I don't raid with a BM specced Hunter, but I know that Tahlian does and I'm sure he sometimes uses spirit mend there.

I do know that Tahlian brings along one of his spirit beasts when I'm healing on my Holy Paladin, since he knows how insecure I am with my healing and likes being able to add in some additional help for me if I need it. Also, Tahl brings a spirit beast (generally Tsorovan) when running lowbies through instances, just in case they face pull.

Where characters come to life...
http://homelyletters.livejournal.com/
My dragon babies: http://dragcave.net/user/Tufak

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

How do I get Spirit Mend to work in Healbot?
If I write it in there for one of my keys, like I do with my druids heal things, it just won't work. *gets annoyed*

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

I've seen mione crit for ~15k (initial), but I see an 8k here, does it scale with something?

Also, it doesn't autocast until the target is at like 35% ho, or something fairly low. Hope that helps!
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Tufak wrote:I don't raid with a BM specced Hunter, but I know that Tahlian does and I'm sure he sometimes uses spirit mend there.

I do know that Tahlian brings along one of his spirit beasts when I'm healing on my Holy Paladin, since he knows how insecure I am with my healing and likes being able to add in some additional help for me if I need it. Also, Tahl brings a spirit beast (generally Tsorovan) when running lowbies through instances, just in case they face pull.
*chuckle* Well, it's not so much that I run with a BM hunter in my raid as it is that I am the BM hunter in my raid. :lol: I'm very lucky to be in a raid that's willing to accept my pecadilloes of only really being happy as a beast master...though I do have a survival offspec for those fights where the extra snare from traps is necessary.

But I always have either Tsorovan or Deckard in my 5 active slots just in case we seem to need a little extra smart-cast healing on a fight. I've also taken to pulling them out on the Molten Front, since neither of them will make NPCScan go AWOOOOOGA out there (and my current active cat of choice is Forge at the moment - aka Skarr)...and with those damn lava worms, the heal is really nice to have on hand.
Last edited by Tahlian on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

evanmac

Unread post by evanmac »

Finduilas wrote:How do I get Spirit Mend to work in Healbot?
If I write it in there for one of my keys, like I do with my druids heal things, it just won't work. *gets annoyed*
1- setup this macro:

Code: Select all

/cast [@player] Spirit Mend(Exotic Ability)
2- open healbot config panel and assign to a mouse click the macro
3- done :D
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

It's extremely helpful with the Chimaeron fight.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

Thank you evanmac: works great :)

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Atraiyu
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by Atraiyu »

I macro'd it with Mend Pet like so

#showtooltip Spirit Mend
/cast Mend Pet
/cast [@Player] Spirit Mend(Exotic Ability)
/use Healthstone

It's a great one button heal. Can even throw in Gift of the Naaru for a little reenforced healing.

I heal my pet and he heals me, like two partners should.
Zhuge
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Kul'Tiras (EU)

Unread post by Zhuge »

Rathan wrote:It can be a very useful ability, i was in a dungeon the other day and my Skoll saved the fight. The healer and all other party members were dead at the very end of a boss fight the spirit mend kept me alive just long enough to finish the boss off
This happened in the old ZG raid with my Skoll too! I was farming the tiger mount for my sister's mage - who was lvl 55 at the time - and he would occansionally toss a heal on her to keep her alive :D One time he even ran out of the pack of trash, healed, then ran back to collect aggro lol ))Raziel(( :hug: He's a real sweety ^_^

Click to enter my lair

Zakarya on Flight Rising

evanmac

Unread post by evanmac »

Atraiyu wrote:I macro'd it with Mend Pet like so

#showtooltip Spirit Mend
/cast Mend Pet
/cast [@Player] Spirit Mend(Exotic Ability)
/use Healthstone

It's a great one button heal. Can even throw in Gift of the Naaru for a little reenforced healing.

I heal my pet and he heals me, like two partners should.
why "/use healthstone"? what if you haven't in backpack?