Quick update for the PetAbandon macro

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Re: Quick update for the PetAbandon macro

Unread post by Agravaine »

Also, don't take them into arenas, as entering arenas cleanses visual effects.
Last edited by Agravaine on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phaul578
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by Phaul578 »

Went for an Oil-Stained Wolf

Ok so I tamed one, dismissed it. Tamed another, spammed the macro "/script PetAbandon()" at the 2 second mark and then took out my first tame and it looked like a normal grey worg..what am I doing wrong?
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Phaul578 wrote:Went for an Oil-Stained Wolf

Ok so I tamed one, dismissed it. Tamed another, spammed the macro "/script PetAbandon()" at the 2 second mark and then took out my first tame and it looked like a normal grey worg..what am I doing wrong?
You or a friend need to be on the quest, and start taming x number of seconds after tossing the wolf the meat so that the tame completes just as he despawns, no macro needed. Will edit to confirm.

Edit: Yep, still possible without a macro. Maximumboob has instructions in this thread: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5235
Last edited by Agravaine on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Agravaine wrote:
Phaul578 wrote:Went for an Oil-Stained Wolf

IIRC you need to be on the quest, and start taming x number of seconds after tossing the wolf the meat so that the tame completes just as he despawns, no macro needed. Will edit to confirm.
I believe it's possible to get one with the macro tame as well, thus making it easier for Hordies to get. I could be wrong though.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

TygerDarkstorm wrote:I believe it's possible to get one with the macro tame as well, thus making it easier for Hordies to get. I could be wrong though.
Interesting... sounds like it's possible to get it without being on the quest then? The only clear confirmation I have was Griffley's post on Jan 11 that the old way still worked.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Agravaine wrote: Interesting... sounds like it's possible to get it without being on the quest then? The only clear confirmation I have was Griffley's post on Jan 11 that the old way still worked.
I thought I read people doing it with the macro, but like I said, I could be wrong as it's something I've not tested myself.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Yes, the macro works on any appearance-buffed pets, although it may take a few tries. Edit--if you're having trouble, it might be down to latency. Sometimes mine vanished entirely, repeatedly, and then I'd go to the next one and the game would tell me "You already have an active summon"--meaning it'd worked. You'll need to relog if you get this, and the pet should be there--set to Aggressive, and buffed.

It seems to be "fixed," after a fashion, on the PTR; when you tame pets like this (again on the current PTR, as of Jan. 25th), you cannot move any abilities to their action bar--even after a relog.
Syriana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Syriana »

I can confirm this will work for the Oil-Stained Wolf. Having no connections to an alliance to coordinate with the quest, and being a horde, this makes me happy. Many, many tries and I thought I just wasn't getting the timing right. I tabbed out and forgot how many pets I had. When I came back to try again, I hit tame and got the message that I had too many already. I only saw 4/5 so logged out. When I came back in I saw that 5th pet.

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Acherontia wrote:Yes, the macro works on any appearance-buffed pets, although it may take a few tries. Edit--if you're having trouble, it might be down to latency. Sometimes mine vanished entirely, repeatedly, and then I'd go to the next one and the game would tell me "You already have an active summon"--meaning it'd worked. You'll need to relog if you get this, and the pet should be there--set to Aggressive, and buffed.

It seems to be "fixed," after a fashion, on the PTR; when you tame pets like this (again on the current PTR, as of Jan. 25th), you cannot move any abilities to their action bar--even after a relog.
Oh yes, I saw you reported that elsewhere and wanted to mention I had a similar bug back in vanilla, right after the first big hunter love patch. I think it did have something to do with an addon.

I had Shy-Rotam and I was either getting abilities vanishing off the pet bar or not able to move them around or place them there from the spellbook. I'd gotten her by accident, she had killed the horde killing her for the quest and was out all by herself when I passed by.

I ticketed about it and was advised to disable all mods and delete the WTF folder. I did so... no effect. So I abandoned her. Minutes later, I spotted Rak'shiri and tamed him. What luck, eh? Within the next couple of gaming sessions I noticed he had the same problem with his pet bar. I forget how I resolved it but it was so simple it was annoying. Had to get rid of him too, eventually. Didn't have room for 2 cats back then.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Being able to get rid of that problem with the pets whose appearances stay after death would be nice. I know I'm of the mindset that I'd want the pet to be more than just a Orgrimmar/Stormwind showoff pet.

Edit: By problem, I mean not being able to put abilities on the pet bar.

[/center]
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Zercon wrote:Got it, Thank you :3

This is in regards to that bear. I have the boar on fire, the ghostly bird, oil hawk and wolf... lone hunter with knife... but I never saw this bear brought up anywhere...

Where is/are the bear(s) at? quest related? Care to explain the procedure on how you tamed him like that? I know about the macro, and such (see that I have the others), but what level are you and how did you get the timing down?

Does he keep the look after death? (the most important part for me... I die a lot... and so does my pets)

Thanks.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
kaaoru

Unread post by kaaoru »

Pent wrote:
Zercon wrote:Got it, Thank you :3

This is in regards to that bear. I have the boar on fire, the ghostly bird, oil hawk and wolf... lone hunter with knife... but I never saw this bear brought up anywhere...

Where is/are the bear(s) at? quest related? Care to explain the procedure on how you tamed him like that? I know about the macro, and such (see that I have the others), but what level are you and how did you get the timing down?

Does he keep the look after death? (the most important part for me... I die a lot... and so does my pets)

Thanks.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=34302
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

No special quest needed, they're just roaming around in a part of Darkshore. Effect does persist through death.

This is all coming from my tamed purple bear, and thus is all firsthand knowledge.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Cialbi wrote:No special quest needed, they're just roaming around in a part of Darkshore. Effect does persist through death.

This is all coming from my tamed purple bear, and thus is all firsthand knowledge.
Does the bear always look that pink/purple? And does it have the little skulls coming off of it?

I might give up my blue ghostly aura bird for this guy... I don't need another bird, but I don't have any bears...

The coloring is awesome.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

The bear is shaded purple by the aura (think of how creatures typically get shaded green when poisoned by an NPC), and has a purple haze around the neck. This is present at all times; you can even see the purple haze when in camo:
Consumed Thistle Bear.jpg
Consumed Thistle Bear.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
WoWScrnShot_010711_222212.jpg
WoWScrnShot_010711_222212.jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
The haze doesn't include any skulls, which is a nice thing in my opinion.
The overall effect is very subtle, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to tell a clear difference.

_____

Jaraii
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Jaraii »

Justa quick question. I heard a rumor about some effects like the oil and the ghost birds effects being less pronounced after they die once. is that true?
I know why I'm smiling, but why is everyone else??

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Cialbi wrote:No special quest needed, they're just roaming around in a part of Darkshore. Effect does persist through death.

Hmm, cleaned the area out of bears... and still can't find the "spot" for it to work for me... I may be doing it wrong.

I am not damaging the bear at all. I hit Tame Beast, then wait til 2sec is left... then start hitting the /script macro key with my finger as fast as I can... and then without logging or anything I goto the next bear and use Tame Beast on it and do the exact same thing...

I figured if it works the game won't let me use Tame Beast on another bear... but do I need to log out between tries, or keep trying to tame the next one until it tells me I have an active summon?

I am pressing the key as fast as I possibly can... and holding it down doesn't press it any faster (it only presses the skill button once unlike holding it down on chat and the letter/number gets repeated like mad).

What might be the reason it isn't working?

I can't even tell if I am doing it correctly.

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

I remember that I tamed the whole area once or twice over before I suddenly was unable to tame the next bear, and that was before any hotfixes attempted to fix this. So, it takes persistence!

_____

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Pent »

Cialbi wrote:I remember that I tamed the whole area once or twice over before I suddenly was unable to tame the next bear, and that was before any hotfixes attempted to fix this. So, it takes persistence!
Yeah, no clue what I did differently... but it finally worked.

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Pent wrote:
Cialbi wrote:I remember that I tamed the whole area once or twice over before I suddenly was unable to tame the next bear, and that was before any hotfixes attempted to fix this. So, it takes persistence!
Yeah, no clue what I did differently... but it finally worked.
You got lucky; that's what you did differently :P

Congratulations! I named mine Chowder because, well... you'd have to do the Alliance questline associated with these guys to understand ;)

_____