Rares should be different than Commons?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Make Rares Different than Commons?

A.Make rares have a unique skin for the zone.
3%
B.Make rares have a unique model for the zone.
1%
C. Make rares have the Silver Dragon portrait remain after tame.
12%
D. Make rares 10% larger than their common counterparts.
4%
E. A and C.
4%
F. A, C, and D.
12%
G. C and D.
3%
H. All of the Above.
12%
I. None of the Above. We like things the way they are.
38%
J. Other (please specify in your post)
10%

Total votes: 68

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Rares should be different than Commons?

Unread post by Lisaara »

Vephriel wrote:
Teevo wrote:
Celi wrote:...some pet families could do with a size boost anyway.
Agreed.
Hee, I wish there was some more standardization when it comes to particular species. Nearly all of the spider models, for example, are around the same size, yet the spiked ones remain so tiny. They're beautifully detailed, I've always wished they were at least as large as their cousins.
Totally agreed. :)

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Kalliope wrote:Trophy-hunters have enough rares with unique skins they can hunt if that's all they care about. If they can't bring themselves to tame a skin they personally like because it wouldn't appear to be rare to others, then that's their problem.
This ^

I find it funny now that it is much harder to define what "THE BEST" pet is due to the rework in cata and the buff system now, some have taken to thinking the "BEST PET" is a rare (normally from the current expansion) I'm sick of people whom only hunt rares for the "Look at me, I'm cooler than you" factor. I've come across quiet a few people now who are all " See look, I've got sambas... What? You don't..? err, your fail <.<" I personally don't like the color or the model all that much tbh. But these "rare hunters" deem themselves better than you and it really makes me laugh at how pitiful it is. The part that actually saddens me the most is that they run around with all theses rares, and don't like 1/2 on them and don't even use the other 1/2. Some people would <3 to have tamed those skins, oh and use them! It's such a waste for them to end up being a trophy pet for ego rubbing... Oh but they are rare and better then mine though :roll:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar, Mug'thol

Unread post by Rarako »

Pwncess wrote:I didn't see the option I wanted to, but when I first tamed Humar, you could see (Elite) on his name when you moused over him. I miss having that. I wouldn't care much for a dragon around his portrait though, but I did like having that little thing that made him different from Pitch.
This. I really liked it when pets had the elite tags. It was small and, I thought, unobtrusive. Did it change anything? No. Did it make me tame a beast that had it over a normal mob? Nope. All it did was add a little flavor text and, in some cases, help on occasion when role playing. For example, if you saw a hunter at level 77 with a black lion and he had an elite tag you would be able to respond better knowing that the two had probably been together for quit some time as opposed to recent companions. In all honesty though, I am more than content with the way things are, where a pet comes from is only important to it's owner. If someone wants a pet just because it's the "flavor of the week" that's their prerogative, in the end why another hunter tames the pets they do is no concern of mine.

If someone loves hunting rares or just likes the looks of a rare mob I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as the mob has the same strength and abilities of any other beast in its family I couldn't care less if they were tagged, bigger, shinier, upside down, inside-out, or moon walked at random. As long as we never have to go back to the days where mobs had different abilities and base stats I will be at peace. I'm looking at you vanilla, when some rares where much better than normal mobs and you were put upon to track them down for reasons other than liking the skin, the mob its self, or the thrill of the hunt.

___ Below this line lies a "rant (rank 1*)", do not read if you don't want to hear it______
*this has been rated as a rant by 1 out of 4 roommates

Having skins be exclusive to a rare mob is fine by me. I know some people hate to camp and that rares sometimes have exclusive skins but when it comes right down to it saying that rare skins should not exist or that people are flaunting them whenever they have them out is in essence saying something like all hard to obtain gear should have the same stats as emblem or badge items, or that if someone is just doing some shopping in Orgrimmar and is in their high tier raid gear that they're just a showoff or a tool because they are trying to be better than everyone else. A closer example would be the argument that exotics should not be BM exclusive because not everyone can use them.

It's a little patronizing, I love my Vice (King Krush), Harun (Arctuis), and all my other "rares". I loved their skins and/or felt attached to the mob so I worked hard for them and I'll bring them with me sometimes when I'm visiting the AH or the bank, and I will bring them to dungeons and to go questing. They are my pets, my friends, my compatriots, so tell me why I should treat them any differently because of their skin? Just because I chose to use a pet that happens to be a rare does not mean that I'm a jerk or rubbing it in peoples faces, it just means that I love my pet and I want to spend time with it. Other than the handful of times when people had just been out and out rude to me because of my pets (both rare and common), I've had far more good experiences form folks asking me how I was able to get some of them and then helping them find the pet themselves, I've got more than a few people on my friends list just to give them a heads up if I find a pet they're after.

Just the other night I saw both sides to this argument play out. I had picked up the Death Ravenger on Sers the other day, when I hearthed back to Org I got a whisper from an other hunter about where I got him, after letting them know where and how to get them I logged onto my lowbie dwarf hunter to check the AH. I get a whisper from another player asking me if the cat I had with me, a red lynx, was from the blood elf starting area. When I told them yes they let me know what a waist of time they thought it was that I had gone to get it at my level (24) and that going out of my way just for a pet was a joke only "low class" players did to make themselves feel better. Bitterness is unbecoming, if someone want's to have rares then that's their thing or if someone chooses to have "common" skins that great to, whether a pet comes form an instance or half way across the globe, after the tame it's just a pet. Wishing anything but a good hunt and a quick tame is silly.

Many thanks to Vephriel for the amazing sig!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Spiritbinder wrote:
Kalliope wrote:Trophy-hunters have enough rares with unique skins they can hunt if that's all they care about. If they can't bring themselves to tame a skin they personally like because it wouldn't appear to be rare to others, then that's their problem.
This ^

I find it funny now that it is much harder to define what "THE BEST" pet is due to the rework in cata and the buff system now, some have taken to thinking the "BEST PET" is a rare (normally from the current expansion) I'm sick of people whom only hunt rares for the "Look at me, I'm cooler than you" factor. I've come across quiet a few people now who are all " See look, I've got sambas... What? You don't..? err, your fail <.<" I personally don't like the color or the model all that much tbh. But these "rare hunters" deem themselves better than you and it really makes me laugh at how pitiful it is. The part that actually saddens me the most is that they run around with all theses rares, and don't like 1/2 on them and don't even use the other 1/2. Some people would <3 to have tamed those skins, oh and use them! It's such a waste for them to end up being a trophy pet for ego rubbing... Oh but they are rare and better then mine though :roll:
Sorry but I think thats a little rude to assume all hunters that like taming rares are ego-rubbing asshats. :/ So if you have a rare, you'd be no different, going by what you're saying. Better hope you dont have a rare pet then! :)

@Rarako: I agree 100% with your rant!
Last edited by Lisaara on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Taluwen wrote:
Spiritbinder wrote:
This ^

Sorry but I think thats a little rude to assume all hunters that like taming rares are ego-rubbing asshats. :/ So if you have a rare, you'd be no different, going by what you're saying. Better hope you dont have a rare pet then! :)
Spiritbinder specifically said some hunters with rares subscribe to that belief, not all. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Hmm yes they did. Sorry Taluwen but its a bit rude of you too to assume they said "all hunters"
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalli, Shouldn't call them that anyway. You dont know if thats what they're doing and downgrading people because they want a simple addition to show they have a rare is just plain rude, imho. It's one thing to say "I don't think personally it's needed" and to outright be rude about it.

As mother always said, it's not what you say, but how it's said. :)

But either way, this probably should be locked. People are still gonna get all uppity and be insulting when trying to describe their 'opinion' on whatever they deem should be right.

LisaaraPokefarm

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

TygerDarkstorm wrote: @Ziarre: No one here has said to make rares un-unique. Most of us have said things should stay the way they are; there's plenty of unique rares as things stand.
Actually, I didn't say it in so many words, since I'm generally pleased with how things are pets-wise in the game, but, and I'm not saying it should happen (since it never will), but I admit I'd let out some laughs of pure glee if Krush, Skoll, Arcturis, GC, etc. and above all, Loque would show up as skins on normal mobs. :P

I realise that the spirit beasts are meant to be unique "animals" with some sort of fancy backstory, but that's another pet hate of mine (excuse the terrible pun). On an RP realm, am I really supposed to believe that those 25 Loques in Orgrimmar at this very minute are the mates of Harkoa? Come on now. And if they aren't (and are called Fluffy, or whatever), then what's the problem with having the skin as a normal mob, since clearly your kitty isn't a special snowflake after all!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Taluwen wrote: Sorry but I think thats a little rude to assume all hunters that like taming rares are ego-rubbing asshats. :/ So if you have a rare, you'd be no different, going by what you're saying. Better hope you dont have a rare pet then! :)
Oh no no, don't get me wrong Talu, If the hunt is your thing, I'm totally fine with that if that's your thing. And I definalty have some rares don't get me wrong, but only the ones that I really like. I'm very happy to say that any rare labeled pet that I have is not a trophy in any ways or shape, that wastes away in my stables. I love them all. In fact I'm so very lucky to have 3 Spiritbeasts (all wrath babies), but I have absolutely no interest in taming any of the others atm, I'm just not really into them. Also a lot of the new Cata rares I just don't like, but some I really do... but just because I love my aqua kitty, that does not make "Sambas" better than her because it's a rare. That's the attitude I have come up against as of late, and that's what I'm am saddened/amused and annoyed about all it one, it's so very narrow minded. And for me, if they wish to be that petty, sure what ever, that's your thing. But when they actually voice "OMGZ I HAZ every LEET cata RARE, what?!?!1 you only got 2? LOL URSFAIL!!!" to me, Which I have had, that's why I post the option I did :)
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

­
­
­
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Taluwen wrote: As mother always said, it's not what you say, but how it's said. :)

Hahaha, My mother always told me "Thinking it is just as good as saying it!" I always had to think twice after that :D

Mothers, you gotta love them :lol:

­
­
­
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Spiritbinder wrote:
Taluwen wrote: Sorry but I think thats a little rude to assume all hunters that like taming rares are ego-rubbing asshats. :/ So if you have a rare, you'd be no different, going by what you're saying. Better hope you dont have a rare pet then! :)
Oh no no, don't get me wrong Talu, If the hunt is your thing, I'm totally fine with that if that's your thing. And I definalty have some rares don't get me wrong, but only the ones that I really like. I'm very happy to say that any rare labeled pet that I have is not a trophy in any ways or shape, that wastes away in my stables. I love them all. In fact I'm so very lucky to have 3 Spiritbeasts (all wrath babies), but I have absolutely no interest in taming any of the others atm, I'm just not really into them. Also a lot of the new Cata rares I just don't like, but some I really do... but just because I love my aqua kitty, that does not make "Sambas" better than her because it's a rare. That's the attitude I have come up against as of late, and that's what I'm am saddened/amused and annoyed about all it one, it's so very narrow minded. And for me, if you wish to be that petty, sure what ever, that's your thing. But when they actually voice "OMGZ I HAZ every LEET cata RARE, what?!?!1 you only got 2? LOL URSFAIL!!!" to me, Which I have had, that's why I post the option I did :)
Okay. Thats much clearer. :) Yeah, if someone is actually being a total jerk and saying you fail cause you dont like sambas, then they're stupid. I never do that to anyone who doesnt care for a certain pet.
XD Dontcha just? Mom's always got the most useful sayings.

LisaaraPokefarm

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Taluwen wrote:Kalli, Shouldn't call them that anyway. You dont know if thats what they're doing and downgrading people because they want a simple addition to show they have a rare is just plain rude, imho. It's one thing to say "I don't think personally it's needed" and to outright be rude about it.

As mother always said, it's not what you say, but how it's said. :)

But either way, this probably should be locked. People are still gonna get all uppity and be insulting when trying to describe their 'opinion' on whatever they deem should be right.
you mean like how many many other threads usually derail themselves into ? :o
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

AdamSavage wrote: you mean like how many many other threads usually derail themselves into ? :o
What do you mean...? :lol:
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

­
­
­
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Spiritbinder wrote:
AdamSavage wrote: you mean like how many many other threads usually derail themselves into ? :o
What do you mean....? :lol:
Trufax right there....XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Spiritbinder wrote:
What do you mean...? :lol:
Yah something like that. I see this way to often but told it "never happens"...or "I don't see it"
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

Personally I hate seeing blizz's artists put really nice skins and such only on rares, yes I know there is a common bronze madexx now, but that don't change the way I feel about that color. Specially after seeing the others (I'm looking at you blue Madexx) If they had a blue madexx on a common mob I would tame it over the camp of a rare that has a one in five shot of being the color I want.

Also, I have KK and Skoll both. I would not dump them just because they became a common spawn. Heck, I would love it if more of the rares did become common skins. They are all ready that a ton of people have em, so to me it wouldn't make a difference.

In short, I tame rares because I like how they look, not because they are "rare"
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Rarako wrote:
Stuff and things, a lot of them.

Warning: Slight rant mode on.
Camping is 'getting lucky and having a lot of spare time'. It chafes my hide when someone says they 'earned' it by camping and that others should have to camp too. You got there before any other hunter did, and hit the tame button after some preparations. Did a hunter who missed out on it by moments deserve it less? It's unfair to people who haven't even seen the rare up, gotten griefed or can't camp because of RL obligations (Kids, work, etc). They aren't lazy (Although yes, there are lazy peeps) - they're unlucky. And that's why many people would like a common mob alternative. Not because they're 'lazy' or want a 'handout' for a cool looking pet. Or even 'impatient'. Or even want to 'destroy unique looks.' Remember how many loques and skolls we saw in Dalaran? Even massively pita to get as they were, there were still lots. Look around the board. A few of us literally spent *years* trying for a pet. My longest wait was a year and a few months or so.
Rant mode off!

Not everyone can raid, no. And that's fine. BUT on the other hand, not everyone can spend hours at or near WoW to camp. And I don't think it's fair to deprive them of a chance at a pet unless they get really, really lucky to not get it killed beneath them, tame stolen or just bumble onto it. That's why I think a shorter respawn time (Or at least a more REGULAR one) and/or a silver dragon tag for our trophy/snow flake peeps (Admit it, we all love having shiny things and sometimes showing off a beloved pet is fun) is the best compromise. A special for the rare hunters, common mobs for the weekend warrior hunter who can't spend ages camping. Or at least a rare on a 1-4 hour tame, so even just an evening of parking should come up with results.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

Amen, Novi.

And a previous post trying to compare wanting rares to come "easier" to getting gear "easier" is a bit skewed, in my opinion. Instances take perhaps an hour tops, and if you are in a guild and gearing up, the odds of you getting the gear you need very quickly is pretty much assured. Sitting at a spawn point, especially when there are multiple spawn points, you are in competition with easily more than a party's worth of other hunters, just on your side alone....any number of trolls, and of course, time. Sitting in one place idling listening for NPC Scan is NOT hard work, most times it's actually keeping you from hard work in real life! :lol:

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Rarako
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar, Mug'thol

Unread post by Rarako »

Novikova wrote: Warning: Slight rant mode on.
Camping is 'getting lucky and having a lot of spare time'. It chafes my hide when someone says they 'earned' it by camping and that others should have to camp too. You got there before any other hunter did, and hit the tame button after some preparations. Did a hunter who missed out on it by moments deserve it less? It's unfair to people who haven't even seen the rare up, gotten griefed or can't camp because of RL obligations (Kids, work, etc). They aren't lazy (Although yes, there are lazy peeps) - they're unlucky. And that's why many people would like a common mob alternative. Not because they're 'lazy' or want a 'handout' for a cool looking pet. Or even 'impatient'. Or even want to 'destroy unique looks.' Remember how many loques and skolls we saw in Dalaran? Even massively pita to get as they were, there were still lots. Look around the board. A few of us literally spent *years* trying for a pet. My longest wait was a year and a few months or so.
Rant mode off!

Not everyone can raid, no. And that's fine. BUT on the other hand, not everyone can spend hours at or near WoW to camp. And I don't think it's fair to deprive them of a chance at a pet unless they get really, really lucky to not get it killed beneath them, tame stolen or just bumble onto it. That's why I think a shorter respawn time (Or at least a more REGULAR one) and/or a silver dragon tag for our trophy/snow flake peeps (Admit it, we all love having shiny things and sometimes showing off a beloved pet is fun) is the best compromise. A special for the rare hunters, common mobs for the weekend warrior hunter who can't spend ages camping. Or at least a rare on a 1-4 hour tame, so even just an evening of parking should come up with results.
Sorry hun, I was not trying to sound insensitive. Yes I camped my rares, I was killed by others for being a possible HK, I was killed by others for camping something they wanted, I was killed by others mid tame after tagging my rare, I had my tame killed out from under me many times, I was "late to the party" on some spawns (it was all hugs and cheers for the lucky hunter though ^_^), and on rare occasions I have stumbled across my new pet.

While I like hunting for pets I also wish there were more alternatives to a long haul camp as you suggested making the spawn times shorter, having more pets be obtainable in instances like the Amani Dragonhawks, through quest chains such as Gezzarak, or some other means. I don't like the thought of hunter being SOL just because they can't play very often, it's one of the reasons why I think adding the elite tag in game would be a good idea (also one of the reasons a few folks are on my friends list with the rare they're after and a contact number as the comment). Bliz probably would not like the backlash they would get if they put some "rare" skins in places where it would be easier to get them (see Madexx) because those who have the rares might feel cheated, but if the elite tag was reapplied those who camped would be content and others who didn't want/have the ability/have time to camp would still be able to get the pet skin that they wanted. See? All kittens and rainbows! :D

Many thanks to Vephriel for the amazing sig!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I mean for the Spirit beast thing they could just like colour change some and make those common...... that would not ruidn anyones "rares"