Rares should be different than Commons?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Make Rares Different than Commons?

A.Make rares have a unique skin for the zone.
3%
B.Make rares have a unique model for the zone.
1%
C. Make rares have the Silver Dragon portrait remain after tame.
12%
D. Make rares 10% larger than their common counterparts.
4%
E. A and C.
4%
F. A, C, and D.
12%
G. C and D.
3%
H. All of the Above.
12%
I. None of the Above. We like things the way they are.
38%
J. Other (please specify in your post)
10%

Total votes: 68

malikith
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Rares should be different than Commons?

Unread post by malikith »

OK so someone suggested a poll about this and it struck me as a good idea. Now ONLY because it gets the point across but also because it provides some theoretical options that are being overlooked. SO here goes.

These are just a few options off the top of my head. Feel free to throw out any added ideas. (That is what option J is about)

For the Record My Vote is choice E.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Rares should be different than Commons?

Unread post by Rhyela »

I voted I.-None of the above. There is a mix of both unique rares (i.e. spirit beasts, OCJ, etc.) and non-unique (Humar, Grunter, etc.) rares. There's something for everyone, so it's fine just like it is.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Rhyela wrote:I voted I.-None of the above. There is a mix of both unique rares (i.e. spirit beasts, OCJ, etc.) and non-unique (Humar, Grunter, etc.) rares. There's something for everyone, so it's fine just like it is.
Fully agreed. Blizzard's been plenty nice to us about giving us a huge amount of pets and skins. Not every rare needs to be a "special snowflake."

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Unique skin FOR THE ZONE. I wanted a green devilsaur. I had one single choice; a 6 hour Basin camp. BF wanted a spectral owl. He had one choice; an 11.5 hr Felwood camp. (Actual real camp times, not examples)

Maybe have the black devilsaur in Netherstorm green, or make some of the dead eagles in Icecrown spectral owls, so trying to get a particular skin won't cause you to drown in camping/griefing blues.

The ONLY exception I'd have are spirit beasts; no common mobs sharing a skin with Skoll, for instance.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I voted all of the above. Rares should be unique and special, more than just their stories that only YOU know.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I voted None of the above as theres allready to many poeple who think hunters with rare pets are better than ones who don't have them and I think by adding things that make them more noticeable would just add to that. I'm sick of getting told to get "a better skin of my pet" by hunters who think my common pets are not as speical as there rare ones.
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Rhyela wrote:I voted I.-None of the above. There is a mix of both unique rares (i.e. spirit beasts, OCJ, etc.) and non-unique (Humar, Grunter, etc.) rares. There's something for everyone, so it's fine just like it is.
Fully agreed. Blizzard's been plenty nice to us about giving us a huge amount of pets and skins. Not every rare needs to be a "special snowflake."
I agree, I have both unique rares and non-unique rares (Like Snarler).
I love them to bits, I feel satisfaction knowing they are harder to come by, common skin or not. I don't brag, except with my closest friend..but we pick on each other all the time. :lol: It's more of a personal accomplishment.
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

It is like a personal accomplishment. :) Whether I tame a rare or common skin, I don't do it to be special, and I don't do it because of other people; I tame the pets I like for me, which is what it should be about. :D

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Daranara
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Daranara »

I'm going with leave it as-is. I don't see any reason to special-snowflake the rares any more than they already are.

Daranara - Night Elflet Huntar - Lightbringer US
Gearfeathers on FR

Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

I do wish that tamed rares stayed larger than their common counterparts. :D While I like a lot of the poll options, I am okay with the way things are too. :)
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

In agreement with you as well, Rhyela. :)

There are unique rares for those that want them, but plenty of non-unique rares have a charm and identity of their own even without having a model that's distinguishable from a common mob. It doesn't matter to me what other people see of my pets. Going for a rare over a common mob, if they share the same skin, does not constitute as any sort of bragging rights for me. Most old world rares are up so often that it's not a challenge in the first place. For me, that completely nullifies the aspect of wanting others to appreciate your tame just because it's a rare. The reason I will go for a rare is because they are an individual, not just another face in a crowd of identical mobs.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

rares that have the same skin as very high lvl common mobs are like throwing a treat to a dog (nonono im not calling anyone dogs rofl, ilu all <3 xD) it makes the hunter want to play more cause theres these skins that are coming at a low lvl that you cant get otherwise till near max, it lets ppl get a variety as their going through the game instead of taming a brown lion and being stuck with it for 64 lvls till they can tame the gorgeous black lion Pitch since theres a low lvled rare with that same skin named Humar! :D

I dunno, i really like the treat of having a extordinary pet (even though it may be an abused skin at higher lvls) to run around with and pretend that i am super extra awesome cause i got this crazy looking pet and everyones using a all-too-common skin to lvl up with ^^ Best pet EVA imho is the Ghost Saber. Like c'mon, its a GHOST and you dont need to use the pet abandon macro, its 100% blizzard approved and its A FREAKING GHOST looools... I swear, that cat and my Orange&Purple Owl have been my longest lasting companions ever even though none are even rare to begin with

Edit: I really like G. C & D though lol, i wouldnt mind them retaining the rare dragon portrait nor them being a little bigger :3
Last edited by Chimera on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I agree with the majority here. I like things the way they are, and what's more, I'd certainly not be against putting the current one-skin alone rare looks on common mobs. There's something about that whole "showing off" thing that makes me feel a little sick. I suppose in my naive little mind I imagine that people tame the animals that they actually like the looks of, and not just because they can idle in Orgrimmar/Stormwind and show off to others. I realise that the majority of the game is based on getting the next new shiny item, but I guess I'd hoped that we Petopians were different (and the majority of responses so far would seem to confirm my view :)).

Why is it not enough to know for yourself that you made a difficult tame, or camped a special rare? Why does everyone else need to know about it as well?
Pwncess
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor (US)

Unread post by Pwncess »

I didn't see the option I wanted to, but when I first tamed Humar, you could see (Elite) on his name when you moused over him. I miss having that. I wouldn't care much for a dragon around his portrait though, but I did like having that little thing that made him different from Pitch.

Being a Hunter is like Pokemon.
I gotta tame em all!

It's a good thing I love Pokemon, too!
My Stable
My Mounts
My Companions

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I don't understand why it matters what other pets hunters have. Besides, the rares are at least twice as common as "common" skins. I see more people run around with rares to try and be "special snowflakes" than I do with regular beasts. Hell, I think it's the "common" skins that get under-appreciated far more than rares. Spirit beasts for example...the only pet family composed entirely of rares that all look extremely different from one another.

So long as YOU like your pets, that's all that matters. :)
One of my newest faves is the felboar skin. It looks so amazing. ^_^

I also agree with you Mozag on disliking taming a pet just to idle somewhere and "show it off." I'm not going to say I haven't done it, but a lot of it also has to do with me admiring the pet because I'm still excited from the tame. Many of my pets get stabled not long after I'm done being fascinated that I've tamed it. XD

And Pwncess, I forgot about the elite tags. I would love to see those make a come-back. :( I used to go purposely tame pets with the tag just because I thought it was neat. XD

[/center]
Vephriel

I've never been one to tame a pet solely as a trophy either. I'm not saying I mind those that do, I realize that some hunters enjoy the Collecting aspect in order to show them off. I was even pulled into the Spirit Beast craze myself when I first started taming them, and then after released them all because I realized they were soulless to me. I didn't tame them because I wanted the pet, I was dazzled into the 'must have them all' addiction. The collecting aspect was a fun game, but once I realized that I didn't care for any of them, nor wanted them in the first place, I let them all go without a regret at all. I've now regained just one (Gondria) since I did feel a bond with that cat alone. Should a reptilian Spirit Beast be released in the future then he will morph into that one instead.

The only time I will tame a rare will be one of two reasons:
• a) The model that I like is only available on one mob, and that mob is a rare.
• b) I decide to tame a certain model of pet, and if that model comes on a rare I may go for that one specifically since it feels like more of an identity tame. Nothing to do with bragging rights over the rare, but I feel like I can bond more when I have a single beast to aim for. It doesn't even have to be a rare pet, I will do the same with named mobs as well (Tyrantus, Count Ungula, etc). They are not rares, but they have their own existence that separates them from a cluster of mobs who would share the same model.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I'll be the first to admit I love my special-snowflake rares...but I like things the way they are. I tame my pets for myself, because I love the challenge of finding them, the pride in knowing that my efforts paid off. Do I like it when people do a doubletake? Yep. But it's not the reason why I have them, and few stay in my stables without some sort of bond.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Vephriel wrote: The only time I will tame a rare will be one of two reasons:
• a) The model that I like is only available on one mob, and that mob is a rare.
• b) I decide to tame a certain model of pet, and if that model comes on a rare I may go for that one specifically since it feels like more of an identity tame. Nothing to do with bragging rights over the rare, but I feel like I can bond more when I have a single beast to aim for. It doesn't even have to be a rare pet, I will do the same with named mobs as well (Tyrantus, Count Ungula, etc). They are not rares, but they have their own existence that separates them from a cluster of mobs who would share the same model.
Spirit reptile...*dreams* :D

Oh I'm not against taming rares! I have some myself, and intend to get more on my other hunters. What's more, I like that named mobs exist, exactly because of your reason B. I know that to some the named, or rare mob has more personality, and I completely understand, even though for me the normal skin is the same as the rare, maybe because I tend to have a rough idea of a personality sketched for the animal long before I tame it. And it's always the pets that either completely shatter my plans by being entirely different, or then the ones that are exactly as I dreamed, that make the cut and become my most beloved companions.

There's one more reason I see for taming rares, and it's my most common reason for owning them:

Many old world rares seem to sport a skin I like that I would otherwise have to wait many more levels to get. I'm an impatient person, so I'd rather camp the rare and get it at 17, instead of getting another 40 levels and then taming the normal version.

I simply don't like the "special snowflakes" thing. Why should your rare tame stand out from the normal skins? I also often wonder how many people would dump their King Krushes and Skolls if the skins were implemented on some random, normal mobs.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Ohhh man.... best pet eva. Spirit Beast: Warp Stalker. I love warp stalkers to death but im one of the ppl who need to prove myself in each dungeon on the recount so i try to avoid using cunning or tenacity pets even tho i tamed Mahamba twice so i could turn one into a dpser xP

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Vephriel

Mozag wrote:I simply don't like the "special snowflakes" thing. Why should your rare tame stand out from the normal skins? I also often wonder how many people would dump their King Krushes and Skolls if the skins were implemented on some random, normal mobs.
*nod* That's pretty much the only outlook that I don't care for. Once again, everyone's free to see their pets as they wish to, but I'll freely admit that the idea of taming a pet solely to show it off and being upset/abandoning the pet if it turns up on a common mob makes me sad.