The promise of CC in dungeons

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.

Are YOU prepared of the heroic dungeons?

I am always ready!!
53%
I plan on just doing it with guildies, I trust them and if I am the cause of wiping them its ok! Cause I bring cookies
22%
I plan to have FD on constant cooldown.
19%
I dont plan on doing dungeons.
No votes
What is this CC you talk of?
6%

Total votes: 32

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

The promise of CC in dungeons

Unread post by Sasrei »

Ok so I was reading things in the forums, and I noticed a really rather long.. post about how people are afraid of CCing in pugs, well mostly they are afraid of the PUGS they will get in cata. Alot of people are just going to do heroics with guildies or friends.. umm. Good times.
I really enjoy doing dungeons with guildies but the good prospect of 1 hour dungeons... oh yah good times ^.^

Im not really afraid of CCing.. (I think I have frost trap somewhere.. or was it freezing trap.. crud I keep getting them mixed up! :lol:)
I am actually looking forward to it, not having to faceroll will be more interesting.. considering they took out volley its not like I can AOE, and dont say we still have MS, cause I prolly wont use it much come cata if we have alot of CCing going on.. not like it hits multiple targets anyways, or the ones you want..

But how do you guys feel. Are you afraid of the CCing to come, the promise of scary pugs where CCing becomes priority and you stare at the mage who cant find polymorph and enjoys pulling, the happy shammy with chain lightning, the lock who reads dps metres and not threat metres...

I am prepared! (puts FD, MD, Detterence, Disengage all in functional OH CRAP row)
CATACLYSM! The world is destroyed, new creatures pop up but deathwing has nothing on the proespect of the noob pugs!

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: The promise of CC in dungeons

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'll definitely be rusty at first, but I'm looking forward to having that job again. I prided myself on excellent CC in Burning Crusade. I had worked and practiced to perfect my skill, and I remember the complicated pulls we'd manage and how satisfying it was to chain trap with no problems, kite mobs, slow them down...knowing your group depended on you to keep them in check until the rest were downed.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I'm a little gunshy on multishot myself after last night. Accidentally pulled one of the special bosses with MS because the boss's hit box was so friggin' huge.

I've been safely running with friends for ages now, so Cataclysm won't change that. I think by the time I'll be in a position of HAVING to pug instances where we don't control the majority, people will have (re)learned how to CC in instances.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

FEIGN DEATH is my BFF. And trapping should be fun! <3

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

Oh how much have I MISSED the good old cc from the bc heroics. ;^; I will be playing my priest at first, but I honestly can't wait to get back to business with trapping once I have the chance to run heroics on my hunter.
And with guildies of course. I've got absolutely no interest in pugging as things stand. Beta seems to already be corrupted by pugs who cannot be arsed to put the effort in heroics. If the tank doesn't have 150k hp, they /quit. ._. Oh well, no boost for you!
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

I'm okay with CC'ing, but I don't usually end up doing it currently because the 5 man heroics are so easy that most groups don't need it (and tend to break my CC a few nanoseconds after I apply it) - however on the few occasions the group has asked for it, it's easy enough to do.

I definitely plan on doing dungeons in cata. Probably on my own via the LFD as typically, the toons I instance with are either 1) not guilded, or else 2) no one else is up for it when I have the time, etc etc...
Loethlin
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Loethlin »

My main is a Mage. I also have a hunter, druid, lock and shaman that I play frequently enough. They all have a form of CC. In all other MMOs I always have a form of CC.
That said, I'm always ready to sheep you.
In AO, that was my job every single Beast raid.

I'm ready, baby, bring out the CC!
Trinia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Greymane US & Aman'thul US

Unread post by Trinia »

As someone who got back into WoW due to watching her father hardcore raid in BC? Oh god yes, I want to CC. If I tell people (while on my tank) freeze the square, sheep the moon, I want people to do it. Pugs at the moment don't seem to want to listen and it's all, "GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGo!!1111!" Which irks me to no end. As for Hunter trapping, I look forward to chain trapping again. You know, pull the mob just a little bit with Distracting so it attacks you to run into your placed-in-advance freezing trap as you lay down another right next to you. I always feel good when I can chain trap in instances right now after I accidentally pulled something off the tank, as it seems like a lost skill in Wrath. :[

Unfortunately though, as a tank, I'm slightly afraid of my repair bill come Cataclysm. It's a good thing I'm such a lore nerd. I'll be leveling through quests nearly exclusively, and probably play alts for a bit when guildies aren't on to run 5-mans. Once people figure out AOE = Bad, and CC = Good, (I miss you BigBrother! Tell me who broke my sheep!) I'll be fine with tanking again.

After edit: How'd it get submitted before I was done? XDDDD

Florelline - Level 90 NE Guardian/Feral Druid - Greymane
Thiania - Level 90 Draenei Shadow/Holy Priest - Greymane
Trinia - Level 86 NE BM/Surv Hunter - Aman'thul
Walnut the Tyrant Devilsaur
Pearl the Ghostsaber
Itzal the Fel Windserpent
Melo the Albino Bat
Tikiniro the Warp Stalker

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I am excited for the challenge. As someone who didn't hit cap until Wrath, I will have to learn to CC decently, as I haven't done it since Sunken Temple (RIP my favorite dungeon). But oh my Goodness heroics now-a-days are easy... Even in tough pulls the solution is always more AoE...
That or burn the bugger to hell and back... I can't think of a single boss in Wrath currently as far as heroics go, that I can't just burn to the ground other than the watery guy in VH...

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Been playing warlocks, hunters and mages since vanilla, so yes, I like CC. PUGs are going to be hell though, because I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the skills of the people I get randomed with. The majority don't focus on a target or anything like that, they pick a mob that's been aggroed (Usually by tabbing. Nothing wrong with tabbing, but it breaks CC. Quickly.) and then spam their AoE. Ain't gonna' be much fun.

THen again, I haven't seen much of the "needed" CC, so far, the majority of content looks like it will be easy to outgear.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

I was always great at CCing stuff in TBC, but yeah, I'm gunna be a lil rusty with it...

But it'll be a nice turn of things I think. Not just with frost trap, but can also put a pet on a target, wyvern sting if you got it, if it's a beast, I guess fear it (probably go badly tho lol)
Naiaara
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Naiaara »

I'm looking forward to having to CC more. Since I have classes that can all CC, I think it will help me learn my character even better for those toons that I don't CC regularly on (read: I don't CC except on my lock and hunter). I think that people might put up big stinks about having to actually work when you play again, but honestly I'm glad that stuff is going to get a bit more complicated. I like a few easy fights here and there, but I'm a nerd. I like my challenges. CC is one of those challenges.

Oh and maybe it might actually remove the "huntard" stigma for those players who actually know how to play.

Ebonrook
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (US)

Unread post by Ebonrook »

Oh I'm more than confident in CCing things... I'm just not confident, at all, with your average pugger to not hit it right off the bat since people are still adhering to the zerg mentality.

Am I up to the challenge, though? You betcha.
Feath3r
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Feath3r »

I've tanked with my Warlock because of CC.
I've annoyed the crap out of those blasted Shaman that seem to hate me with my Hunter because of CC in PvP.
I've CC'd Heroic HoR because it makes it cake if you do.
I've two manned Blood Furance with my Priest via a crapload of MC.
I've three manned all of the Wrath dungeons up to Gundrak with two friends through a LOT of CC from all of us working together.

I. Am. Prepared.

/roar

(Though I agree, pugs are going to suuuuck. Here's to hoping the DF is nice enough to put us in groups with at least one person who can CC the right groups. You know, like not putting someone with Humanoid or Beast CC into a dungeon with all Dragonkin or elementals :D )
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I'm so ready for CC to return. Finally, no more AoE spam.

(Thank you *so* much Blizzard for removing our best AoE in the end of an expansion full of AoE pulls >=|)

My only regret?
That trap launcher wasn't such a clunky mechanic.

Lazuly
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Lazuly »

Having CC back is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most in Cata, actually!
Kryte
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Kryte »

I welcome the return of CC as a regular dungeon mechanic. I'm not particularly afraid of the PUG situation, either. I've been playing with PUGs since Vanilla, while I get the occasional group that's all wipe and no reward, 90% of the groups I get are perfectly capable of finishing the dungeon, if a little clumsily. And, heck, I welcome the wipes. It might, hopefully, teach the playerbase a little more patience...
Lazuly
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Lazuly »

I think it may be rough for the first few weeks after Cata, just because so many people got used to AOE steamrolling everything in Northrend that reflexes and thinking skills may be a bit rusty. =P