I killed over 5,000 Tunneling Worms just to tame one.

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Slapperfish
Petopia Artist
Realm: Kilrogg, Wyrmrest Accord

I killed over 5,000 Tunneling Worms just to tame one.

Unread post by Slapperfish » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:39 am

...Okay, maybe two.

Yes, my fellow Petopians, that's right, I decided to achieve the impossible and tame an exotic beast before ever leaving the initial goblin starting zone. And to accomplish this, I had to get to level 39 without ever phasing out. And now I can share with you all just how I achieved this insane feat of beast mastery.

Since the worms phase out after Life of the Party is completed, most of my XP had to be gained from killable mobs. And since the only attackable mobs in Kezan that grant XP prior to phasing are the worms, that means I had to kill a LOT of worms.

...Okay, I probably didn't need to kill THAT many, but I was also experimenting with something else. You see, on starter accounts that have yet to pay for a subscription, any XP you gain past level 20 is "banked," up to a maximum of 10 levels. For all intents and purposes, you're stuck at level 20, and don't gain any more XP past the 10 banked levels, but subscribing to the game automatically grants you those levels. Additionally, any XP you do obtain is calculated as if you were level 20, and no higher.

However, if you attempt this on a "demoted" account that has already subscribed to the game at least once, you aren't able to bank any XP. (I made some Draenei alts to obtain some transmogs I've been meaning to collect, and doing every quest in Azuremyst/Bloodmyst Isle would have given me more XP past level 20 if I were subscribed at the time.) If I were attempt this on an account with a proper subscription, I would only be able to grind worms, gaining less and less XP from each kill until about level 26-27, at which point the mobs would no longer grant XP. Therefore, I decided to try this out on a second account, where killing worms over and over at level 20 would give me the same amount of XP past level "20," then subscribe once I had banked 10 levels. Of course, this does mean I'm now paying for two WoW accounts this month, but in addition to other benefits, I think it's worth it for now.

But how did I gain XP past level 30 when all the worms didn't grant any XP, and what few quests I could complete granted so little XP? Two words: Pet battles.

Since Goblins in the starting zone are technically not affiliated with the Horde, they cannot queue for dungeons, battlegrounds, or pet battles against other players. But as it happens, there are five pet battle trainers scattered across Azeroth who give daily quests that can be turned in on any alt, anywhere, regardless of faction. These are, in no particular order:
Some of them can only be battled by characters of a specific faction, but can still be turned in remotely by a character of the opposite faction. It took about a couple weeks of constant turn-ins to get to level 39 with this method, but I managed it, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was proud I did!

Now maybe if I'm feeling crazy enough, I'll level him to 60 while Kezan is stilll unexploded...

But until then, see ya next tame!

~ Slapperfish >*)))>{
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kent, 120 Human Hunter & Jezpalimu, 120 Troll Hunter
"So many pets, so little tame..."

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: I killed over 5,000 Tunelling Worms just to tame one.

Unread post by Wain » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:40 am

Holy frack. That's insane, and I'm in awe!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.