Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 15: Worms!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 15: Worms!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds - Bears - Serpents - Tallstriders

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 15th family is the burrowing worm family!

Worm facts

~Worms became tameable in Wrath with the addition of exotic beasts. Jormungar worms where released at the same time, while the skinny worms have been in the game since Vanilla.

~Worms come in two different models and 13 different tameable skins.

~Worms have two rares of the same skin color. These bright yellow worms are Grubthor and Oozeworm.

~Rattlebore is the only unique skinned named worm of the family.

~Worms have one color charger. There used to be two color changers in the worm family, but the Deep Borers are now fixed to spawn in the blue skin only.

~Back in Wrath, worms were tamed by 1.4% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 13 on the list. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, jormungarlarvablue was the most tamed skin at 83.2%! Both wormskingreen and wormskinwhite were the least tamed skins at 0.3%. (Source)

~Acid Spit, worms special ability, used to cause nature DoT and reduce the armor of the target. Burrow Attack, worms exotic ability, used to not drop aggro when first implemented which made them great aoe tanks.

~One of the tricks NPCs can cast during Hallow's End turns the player into a worm.

~All jormungar worms were one color back in Wrath, which explains why jormungarlarvablue had such a high tamed skin percentage. It wasn't until Cataclysm that the four other previously unused skins where added into the game to preexisting jormungar NPCs. Also, jormungars are one of the few tameable pets with no eyes, except for one special jormungar worm here on the forums.

~Disembodied Jormungars are very ghostly worms. Although these worms have a large sized model after being tamed, even then they are still difficult to see next to their hunter.

~Two of the white worms, Cadaverous Worm and Flesh Eating Worm, spawn only once their undead host dies. Both of these worms are very tiny in the wild.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 15: Worms!

Unread post by Wassa »

I love worms. I think they are so cute.

On Wassa, Dziko (pronounced ZEE-ko) is my main tanking pet. His name means "the earth" from the Ngoni people of Malawi in Africa. I didn't plan to keep him. I just wanted to try out a worm for aoe tanking and I ended up using him more than I ever use my turtle, even after they nerfed Burrow Attack that it now drops all aggro. Dziko has been given the nicknames "my boy" and "bud" by my guildies, as he has emergency tanked many heroics. Dziko is a goofy, always happy worm with a big smile on his face. I know most hunters prefer jormungar worms for their larger size and tough appearance, but the old world worms do have very expressive faces and a cute little smile that I think most hunters overlook. Truly one of the under appreciated pet models.

Since I loved my worm so much on Wassa, I had to get one for Ptaysanwee. At first I went with the old world white worm look, since back then my stables had a purely white pet theme, but that worm just never did fit just right. I hesitated to tame a jormungar worm as the having no eyes weirded me out a bit, but Ptay is for role-play reasons a Taunka. What says Northrend better than a jormungar?

After a stable purge of pets I collected but never bonded with, I expanded my stable theme from only white pets to a Northrend/arctic theme. I went off to try different jormungar skins to see if I could bond with a blind pet and it didn't take long. The first worm I tamed was instant love.

I named him Ahtunowhiho, a Cheyenne name meaning "one who lives below." He is a big softie and super shy. He rather hide underground than fight. He also matches wonderfully with Ptay's transmog set.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Kyria
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord & Nesingwary

Unread post by Kyria »

So! Pre-Cataclysm, I played the random pet game with myself on my draenei and got the old world blue worm with the white belly. At the time, the only worm that had that skin in any form was a color-changer, so I wound up with a worm who was blue some of the time and gray the rest of the time. To my surprise, I fell dramatically in love with the blue worm. The gray worm... not so much. At first, I could live with recalling him until he showed up blue, and in fact I leveled through a solid half of Northrend with that worm at my side, but eventually the fact that he kept popping up as some foreign gray skin unsettled me enough that I had to abandon him, promising to return if ever a non-color-changing blue worm cropped up.

Well... Cataclysm hit, and suddenly the worms from Maraudon were only blue! Hooray! My draenei had a full stable at the time, but that didn't concern me. I decided I'd just get him on my blood elf. She's my in-game avatar, anyway, and the bond I'd had with the blue worm was definitely based on my feelings and not my draenei's. So I flew out to Maraudon, found a patch of blue worms, tamed one... and found that the connection had completely vanished. I felt absolutely nothing for him anymore. This was extremely disappointing to me, but I accepted it--it does happen, after all--and, since my hearthstone was on cooldown, let my blue worm run free and trotted back out of the dungeon with the intention of somehow finding my way out of the tunnels. I took a few steps, and this is what I saw:

An adorable little wormy archaeologist, studying the symbols on a broken wall by firelight. I was completely smitten. I hadn't come in intending to tame that particular skin, since it's not my favorite color out of the bunch, but how could I have possibly resisted? I knew that he was what I had really come for. I tamed him immediately, and he emoted excavating a burrow, true to his archaeologist persona, and that was that. That worm became Scholar, and he was one of my main pets for a long, long time. He's a sweet boy, a little shy, helpful and protective without being overbearing about it like some of my others, with a thirst for knowledge (imagine that) and a stubborn conviction that yes, he can, in fact, speak Orcish, which he demonstrates frequently by looking at things and gurgling to me about them as if I can understand him. He doesn't get as much time in the spotlight anymore, but he's still one of my favorite boys, and I still keep a stack of his favorite truffles in my pack just for him. I wouldn't replace him for anything. <3
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_090311_165005.jpg
WoWScrnShot_090311_165005.jpg (138.08 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

Thanks to Vephriel for the beautiful signature! <3
Dragon Cave!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I love the old world worms, think I've tamed every color except blue. However, I do plan on taming a Disembodied Jormungar on my human hunter, Shamal.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Eee, worms!

I love the classic models, they're absolutely adorable, but jormungars have to be my favourite.

Rancid was a very iconic pet for me, he was the first creature I sought to tame when Wrath of the Lich King hit live servers. I was in awe of the jormungar model, I had seen it on Petopia during the beta, and I was so excited to get one.

I was so eager to tame a jormungar, in fact, that when WotLK finished installing and I logged in for the first time, I rushed to Borean Tundra, mounted up, and started to run in the vague direction I had heard they were in. It was...madness. :lol: I honestly didn't have an exact location, nor had I ever stepped foot in that zone before. I didn't have a clue where I was going, I was only armed with the knowledge that jormungars were 'up north'. Getting out of Warsong Hold was a trial of its own, I was fleeing from nerubians and trying to find the path out. Once I did I just ran for it, going north and aggroing half of the zone on my way. I managed to stay ahead of everything somehow and just kept running. I reached the snowy northern point, and suddenly an enormous jormungar loomed up right in front of me. I clumsily dismounted, started the tame, and aggroed a mammoth at the same time. The tame completed at the perfect moment, and my new worm spun around and took care of the mammoth attacking me. Shakily I hearthed back to the safety of Orgrimmar, feeling the adrenaline from my frantic adventure. Once back home I was able to admire my new pet. Seeing the mohawk and the spikes instantly gave him a punk vibe to me, so I named him Rancid after the band. I had an expectation for him to take on a tough, rebellious personality, but over time he seemed to have a mind of his own and became almost the complete opposite in character.

With the help of Pet Emote and just his behaviour in general, Rancid became an adorable, cheerful worm who liked nothing more than to daydream and stare at the sky. He had this bubbly personality that was impossible to resist. Facets of his character really became apparent when he and Kalli's parrot hit it off and seemed to flirt with each other. She would emote dropping feathers before him, so from this we imagined that he was collecting them in hopes of having wings some day (he really was obsessed with the sky, and no doubt he dreamed of flying instead of being stuck on the ground).

Since I had gone to tame him before doing anything else in the expansion (I hadn't even started questing yet, getting a jormungar was my top priority), he was my designated leveling pet for Northrend, and I really bonded with him during that time.

As many of us experienced during those days of few stable slots, the time came when I needed the space for another pet, and Rancid took a little vacation for a while. I actually ended up retaming him before Cataclysm even hit because I missed him so much. When the other colours were released for jormungars, I knew Rancid would become the black skin. It was absolutely perfect for him.

The night before the patch went in, I dropped him off in front of the cave where Rattlebore resided. In my mind, he was going to go through a molt cycle, and that cave was a sort of jormungar meeting ground for those types of things. The next day when I went to tame his new look, I felt like he had really just spent the night there and went through a natural metamorphosis. He was absolutely still the same pet to me. :)

Rancid has even been an asset to our guild raiding team! He got some time in the spotlight during Firelands to take care of adds on Beth'tilac and Rhyolith. It was so fun being able to use him legitimately for raiding, and my guild came to love him for his quirky demeanour and efficiency in burning down adds.

Rancid is most definitely within my top tier of bonded pets, he has a lot of personality and I feel very close to him. :hug:
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

These threads are so much fun! Thanks so much, Wassa, for taking the time to do them. I love reading everyone's stories and the awesome screenshots! :mrgreen:

I love my Jormungers! They just have so much personality, their models are beautifully detailed, and they make for a very charming pet...a gigantic charming pet! I do find the old world model to be really cute but, for me, my heart belongs to their cousins!

Savage is my worm on my main. It was an instant connection. He is one of my pets whose personality became apparant immediately after taming. He went from the gigantic ferocious Rattlebore to the gigantic goofy Savage. His name doesn't describe him well at all. It's kind of an oxymoron actually. He can be "savage" when called for but for the most part he's just a big goofball.

Lerp is my alt's worm and one of her top five favorite pets. He is simply stunning! I have to say that he gives Savage a run for his money in the looks department and had I taken a closer look at this color Savage would probably look like Lerp (sorry, Savage). I love how the these two look together. Because of Savage's goofy personality I named this one after "herp derp lerp", lol, since I wanted a goofy name for him. But Lerp turns out to be not nearly as goofy as Savage is. I see him to be much more protective and vigilant. He's her watch dog...er watch worm! :)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I only got one worm, Sahara. She is a pet i tamed a while ago. I had desided to tame the rare golden worm and on my 5th flight to tanaris i found her.

Her first name was Cutiepie but I named changed her to Sahara.

I love her coloring but the bond is not soo strong. Ever since the tame years ago shes been collecting dust in my stable until recently when i desided to try and bond with her again. I do love the regular worms and think they are quite cute .. so hoping i can connect with this golden beauty

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

XD Jormy's great.

Worms are some of my favorite pets. If I could get away with raiding with a worm, I would.

For some reason or another (most likely stable space) I had gotten rid of the worm I used to use on my first hunter. Just for this appreciation thread I decided to go out and get her a new one. I decided I was either going to retame a ghostly Jormungar one or get one of the blue Jormungar in storm peaks. I also checked for Rattlebore, but I've only seen him spawn once as he's in a popular location for people leveling alts.

There's two very special worms to me on my alt hunter Chrizesu. One that during wrath became her mascot pet, and another worm I tamed on her to get her through cata. The first one is named Scotch, as in Scotch tape, and the other one is named Everclear, a joke going off of how many of my pets at the time had names after alcohol.
Scotch & Everclear
Image Image

Come cata I may try on Chrizesu set up a stampede following of just Jormungar in different skins.
Attachments
zircandworm.jpg
zircandworm.jpg (177.2 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Everclear
Everclear
Screen shot 2012-04-21 at 4.09.11 PM.png (482.82 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Scotch
Scotch
Screen shot 2012-04-21 at 4.09.39 PM.png (481.17 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Yeeee, worms! So happy! I woke up, checked my phone right away to see which pet family it was, and right when I saw worms I was like "YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I absolutely love them! Especially jormungars!! :D

The worm I have a closest bond with is Mia's jormungar, Teshi! I first introduced Teshi over on this thread along with my raptor Orrin.

Teshi is just... omigosh I love him to segments. *rimshot* He is definitely one of my top favorite pets and I could never let him go. I really really really cannot wait to make him ferocity in MoP! :D

He's just this big goofball of a worm, and I find his lack of eyes to be adorable!

I actually didn't thin I'd bond with the green jormungar. I was never really that fond of the skin, but once I tamed him and ran around with him a bit, watching him wiggle his little spike-arms as he slithered, I knew he was the one for me. <3

Then there's Espen's jormungar, his name is Jormungand, named after the Midgard Serpent from Norse mythology, which is also where the name "jormungar" comes from! :D

Jormungar isn't as silly as Teshi, but he certainly did not come with the personality I expected him to have! XD He's very inquisitive, and sometimes finds himself is silly situations. But I think he typically comes off as a badass while still being the comic relief of Espen's stable. ^.^ I dunno, maybe it's his amazing coloration. I love the black skin so much! :D

"Ohey there's a fire there..."

Sarahma has a jormungar, his name is Argyle, and he's a ghost one, but I feel like he might need to change skins, so I'll update with him later if that happens. :)
Attachments
Teshi1.png
Teshi1.png (546.73 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Teshi2.png
Teshi2.png (723.31 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Teshi3.png
Teshi3.png (323.29 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Teshi4.png
Teshi4.png (745.2 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Teshi5.png
Teshi5.png (773.83 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Teshi6.png
Teshi6.png (392.14 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Jormungand1.png
Jormungand1.png (408.63 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Jormungand2.png
Jormungand2.png (583.55 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Jormungand3.png
Jormungand3.png (509.43 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Jormungand4.png
Jormungand4.png (253.64 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Last edited by Miacoda on Tue May 22, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I was never a worm person. The old-world models just make me think of intestinal parasites (I don't know why), especially the white one. Their faces seem to have a lot of personality and charm, but the worms themselves just kind of gross me out.

However, the jormungars interested me as soon as I saw them. Now that was a worm I could tame! Unfortunately, I didn't much care for the original skin, the only skin at the time. So, it wasn't until I started doing the Sons of Hodir quests much later that I decided to give one of the disembodied jormungars a shot. I normally don't like transparent pets, so I didn't expect to like him. However, as soon as I tamed him, his personality jumped out at me. Like many others, he is really derpy and he doesn't quite realize that he is erm...dead (well, in my mind he's a ghost). I named him Mortimer, with part of the latin word for "death" (mortem) and because Mortimer just sounded like a nerdy name to me.

Mortimer has a zest for life, even though he's technically not alive, but don't tell him that. He's also not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He's a big, goofy lovable little ghost worm.

Once the extra colors were released, I decided to swap him out for the green model, since I love green so much. However, the green worm just wasn't Mortimer. I released him and went and got my old buddy back. :)

Attachments
Rhyela and Mortimer.jpg
Rhyela and Mortimer.jpg (467.13 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Whether it's the original model or their Jormungar cousins, worms are one of those types of pets that easily develop the most amazing kinds of personalities and quirks!

Like so many hunters, I instantly fell in love with the Jormungar worms of Northrend. Their derpy smiles and fuzzy mohawks completely won me over. I determined that my Troll huntress, Kadija, needed one to compliment her colorful stable entourage and her mohawked hairstyle. I also set my sights on taming one for Synestra because the idea of an undead hunter with a worm companion seemed too much fun to pass up!

Being the most colorful out of the bunch, Kadija tamed herself a Tundra Crawler and named him Ouzo (in keeping with the theme of her other booze named pets).

Synestra on the other hand, needed a darker skinned pet to compliment her personal style and the sinister nature of her other pet companions. Rattlebore happened to be that perfect match. And so it was shortly after his tame, he became known as Muert.

Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I am really enjoying reading these stories! Unfortunately, I've not yet bonded with a worm on any of my hunters, but I have some planned for my alts when they get high enough. This thread is certainly inspiring me to tame them! Can't wait to read more, and to see all these great screenies. :)
Asurendra
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Asurendra »

I love the white Jormungar. I named mine wigglesworth. here are some pictures
Attachments
Me and Wigglesworth
Me and Wigglesworth
WoWScrnShot_042512_191616.jpg (104.67 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
WoWScrnShot_042512_191813.jpg
WoWScrnShot_042512_191813.jpg (195.97 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
ALL HAIL WIGGLESWORTH
ALL HAIL WIGGLESWORTH
WoWScrnShot_042512_191853.jpg (203.01 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Awesome name, I love it!!! :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Worba & Nidhoggr

Kitsune & Dune

Dougal & Tremor

Look - a falling star! :P

Attachments
WoWScrnShot_052212_104900_trimmed_90.jpg
WoWScrnShot_052212_104900_trimmed_90.jpg (151.29 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
WoWScrnShot_052212_105852_trimmed.jpg
WoWScrnShot_052212_105852_trimmed.jpg (175.02 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
WoWScrnShot_052212_110123_trimmed.jpg
WoWScrnShot_052212_110123_trimmed.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
WoWScrnShot_052212_110202_trimmed.jpg
WoWScrnShot_052212_110202_trimmed.jpg (159.71 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Worba wrote:Image
♫When you wish upon a demon,
Makes no difference: tamed or free, man♪
Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

:headbang: FINALLY FOUND MY EPIC WORM!

I've always been hooked on the jormungers. Seriously hooked. My first tame occurred in wrath while leveling. The worm back then was Glacial! He had a wonderful way of rounding mobs up while question and keeping them off me.

Then I went on a taming spree of nothing but rares. He was released. I regretted it.

So, I tried turtles, crabs, even Gobstopper the warpstalker as tanks. But nothing seemed to come close to Glacial.

As I started cleaning my stables out in light of beautiful tames coming in MoP, I found I had room to once again find Glacial. However, I had more colours to choose from! Unfortunately, Glacial was upset and didn't return to me. But I did find Peppermint:

Peppermint was a sweet girl who unfortunately became bored easily. She much preferred wandering in the snow as opposed to x-pac wind-down exploring. Then I found Twizzle, the black. His ego was a bit much.

Then, it happened:

The perfect fit! In fact, my guild ran Nax last night and Tiramisu came with me! Our guild leader left World of Logs on and I wound up ranking #2 on Faerlina! LOL Tiramisu both brought me a ranking (I don't care if old content! A RANK IS A RANK! YUS!) and a fabulous off tank for the puppy chow zombies! He is a lot like Glacial in that he rounds up mobs without hesitation and can keep them circling in my ice traps. GO TIRAMISU! I didn't even have to ask him to do it! (whomever is developing hunter pet AI's, you're doing wonderfully, btw... I love the subtle differences between pets)

All in all, Tiramisu perfectly matches my play style and has earned a permanent stable slot.

....ironic since I was intending to OPEN slots...

<3

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Galaxy wrote:....ironic since I was intending to OPEN slots...

<3
Tell me about it! x_x

That's a lovely pic - took me several moments to even see him in there!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

Kalliope wrote:
Tell me about it! x_x

That's a lovely pic - took me several moments to even see him in there!
IKR? Oy...

And TY! That's really the only reason I left it large instead of scaling down LOL He's SO TRANSPARENT!

Though, I never expected the melee in my raid team to actually speak up and thank me for using such a transparent pet. One said that it was nice to not have the fights blocked and made him feel all fuzzy inside. ^.^ So, I mentioned I'd turn him ferocity in MoP and the raid leader thought it was stupid they were tenacity anyway and to please do that lol I suppose Tiramisu also made it into my raid mains! :D NOT COMPLAINING!

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days