Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Unread post by Sarantha »

Blue Nether Ray. Not too fond of these pets. They're pretty, and I did tame one, but I find them to be quite useless (special is interrupting casting, completely useless to anyone not farming caster mobs). Anyway, here are a few pics:

Front after tame. Not very pretty at all. Her teeth look like that alien from the movie:

She's more attractive from the back. Very sparkly:

Luna and Sara:

Can't say much about Nether Rays. All colors but gold are unattractive and boring. I did tame a gold one for fun after this, and I really like her a lot more than this blue one. My gold one is also named Luna. The ray attack motions are just slapping the mobs with their tail, and their swimming animation is similar to flying. All in all, kind of a bleh pet. I wouldn't go out of my way to tame one (except gold) and they aren't the greatest dps best for cunning either.

Name: Sarantha
Level: 85
Exotics: Yes
Restrictions: No monkeys/gorillas or bats. Removed rhinos because I finally decided they looked interesting.
Last edited by Sarantha on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I have a request to make of you Star, and to some extent, Sarantha; even if you guys absolutely hate a pet, can you please try to give more full reviews? I don't want this to sound mean or anything, but it *is* considered a challenge and there are guidelines to at least try to somewhat follow. I know what it's like to loathe a pet and not stand it being next to you, but both of you have given better reviews in the past. :)

Also Star, even your RP-style reviews are a tad short--your former reviews felt more in depth than the single paragraph your more story oriented ones have been. Not to sound conceited, but if you want an example of a more RP style pet review, I've got a couple in here somewhere you can read. :)

Krania:
Gray Corehound

Starkittens:
Blue Rhino

Sarantha:
White Eagle

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Raziella
Realm: Cenarion Circle

Unread post by Raziella »

Name: Raziella
Exotics: Yes!
Restrictions: No monkeys or gorillas
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I'm going to step out of the pet challenges, then. There is no way I can keep a pet I loathe for hours just to do my dailies/dungeons/pvp with it and write a school-length report on it. Its just not possible. I know you want a better review, but when I say they're ugly and their animations suck and their special abilities are awful, what more do people really need to know about a pet, as long as I've described what the animations are, why they're blah, and why their specials stink? Not saying/doing this to be mean, just wanting to save myself some time if I get saddled with a boar, bear, or some other pet I really can't stand. I'd rather just not do it. This is a game, not a school book report. Yes, even if we hated the book in school, we still had to "review" it, but that was school. This is a game. Therefore, I'm stepping out. I have enough crap to deal with at home and work and don't want to make my play time suck any more than it has to. Thanks for the short bit of fun. I tried to take good enough pictures, but I suppose my computer isn't high-grade enough to provide detailed enough ones for the reports.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Next time you do some rolls, count me in. :)

Name: Kalhoun
Lvl: 85
Restrictions: None
Rares: King Krush, Terrorpene, Sambas, Magria, Ankha, Loque'nahak, Karoma
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Well Sarantha, if that's how you feel about it, then so be it. I'm not asking for some humongous report, but I don't feel that it's too much to ask for more than one or two tiny sentences and a teeny paragraph. This challenge does have set rules in place and I feel that I'm actually pretty lenient when it comes to most of the reports that people give. I don't expect everyone to give reports the way I used to, which is fine, but actually putting a little effort in from time to time is not too much to ask, in my opinion.

I'd like to give a big thank you to everyone who's been participating. I do actually read these reports and I really enjoy going through and reading about your guys' experiences with these pets. :)

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:I'd like to give a big thank you to everyone who's been participating. I do actually read these reports and I really enjoy going through and reading about your guys' experiences with these pets. :)
Thank you for hosting it! It's really a cute little diversion. Makes dailies a little more entertaining.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Glad you're enjoying them Kalhoun. :)

Raziella:
Dark Blue Scarab Beetle

Kalhoun:
Green Deep Sea Crab

[/center]
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I did enjoy them very much, as well. They were quite fun. Now it seems I'm rolled terrible pets to tame every time (I know its random, bad luck on my part) and therefore I'm unable to produce satisfactory reviews. So yeah, I'm going to step out. Maybe I'll come back to play again when I have more free time and less real life things to deal with and I'm able to write long reviews without having to go do real life stuff. Holidays and all, you know. /shrug

For pets I enjoyed, its easy to write a longer review. I know exactly what I like/dislike about the pet, all the animations and abilities, and even its dps capabilities in a raid/pvp, thats why its so much harder for pets I can't stand. I know its totally random and a challenge, I'm not blaming you. I'm just saying its rather hard at the moment to do a long review for a pet I can't stand enough to even leave the zone with.

The white eagle would have been a fun tame. I love all the bird models. I almost tamed one in Sholazar today, since I really love the model, but there are pets I enjoy more out there, and since I don't NEED to tame it for anything, I just let it be. It probably likes Sholazar better anyway.
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

I was assigned the Green Deep Sea Crab. The rolling system gave me crabs again! ;)

I decided to go tame a Felscale Crawler in Blasted Lands. Pre-tame, they have a neat glowy effect. Once they're tamed, this effect goes away.

I named my new buddy Pokey, because of those spikes all over his back. As models go, Pokey is pretty neat looking. Lots of detail all over him. And he's BIG.

Crabs are quiet, and don't do much other than look from side to side as their idle. The older crab models look worried when they do this, but Pokey looked like he was ready for some action.

He's got a cute little face. And though I think the orange deep sea crabs would match Kalhoun better, I do like Pokey's green color.

He has strange, flying buttress-like legs.

I took Pokey to Hyjal and then on to the Molten Front for dailies. I dislike the "Pin" ability crabs have - it seems to mess with aggro for me. So I turned Pin off and specced Pokey for Tenacity DPS.

Here he is taking on multiple mobs and Thunderstomping.

We helped a little flower drink some molten goo a scorpion squirted out. Ewww.

He also fought a really big firey dude. RAR, big red crab!

He then went on passive and ran around in circles with me, destroying glowy runes.

Crabs are tanky-type pets, so they're fine for doing dailies (their dps isn't great, but they're pretty sturdy and can take a beating). They're just not one of those pets you ever recommend for something specific - there's plenty other Tenacity pets that have better abilities. Pokey is cute, and I do like the crab models, I just don't have a use for him right now. Pokey experienced the most exciting time he's ever had since he spawned, and I enjoyed his brief company. Ah well.

----------------------

I'd like to go again!

Name: Kalhoun
Lvl: 85
Restrictions: None
Rares: King Krush, Sambas, Terrorpene, Magria, Ankha, Karoma, Loque'nahak
starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

Tyger, I'm gonna retire from doing the challenges for now, I may Start doing them again in the summer time, but Right now, I really don't feel like doing them with all the other stuff i'm doing for school and all.

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}

Melentari
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Melentari »

Okay, it took me a while, but I did indeed do this challenge. Now showing: The red & black felboar!

I found these guys after stepping into OL, just outside Honor Hold.

This one was wandering to himself and came right up to me, so he was the obvious choice. Tamed, specced out, and then I looked at him for a while as my old nemesis, the Fel Reaver, wandered around. From a distance, I think they look better than they do up close. Speaking as someone who has had too many serious sunburns, his hide looks like mine does after I've been in the sun too long - blistered and painful, and I can only see this as a consequence of living in HFP, where there are random flame gouts out of the ground. Really, it makes me feel kind of sorry for him.

But after watching him wiggle his rear for me, I came up with the perfect name. One of our cats has a habit of grunting when you pick him up, and we call him our little grunty pig. So thus my felboar was christened:

Look at that butt wiggle. Isn't that adorable?

I'll admit here and now that I love the piggy wallow that all the boars do, when they rub their chin against their ground. It makes me want to scratch their jowls for them.

But once he was named, we went to hunt down my nemesis. I can't be in HFP without finding him, and killing that thing is one of the necessities of trying out a new pet.

Against a mob the size of the Fel Reaver, he looked tiny, but his thunderstomp came out huge. Once more, the Reaver was dead before I realised it, so I went on for the routine soloing of the two usual dungeons. I kept him for three days, so we went through the dungeons every day and, while LilGruntyPig wasn't much of a luck charm, we did get the drops that I had prayed for so many times during BC. Those bracers, two of that axe - God how I'd wanted them.

But he did make an impressive big red piggy. I enjoyed his animations, and by the end of my experiment, I was actually sad to be rid of him, but I have turtles and beetles that I like more for my purposes. Not to mention that it seemed like Grunty had a bad habit of pulling the entire room before Priestess Dalrissa in MGT. I've never had Boing do that.

So Grunty got to stay down in Lower City at the end of it all, where I think he might be better off than he was in HFP. Maybe the healers at the infirmary can help his hide a little.

I will be asking for another roll eventually, but not just yet. I do enjoy doing these.

Melentari and Tevildo - she tamed him a long time ago.

Raziella
Realm: Cenarion Circle

Unread post by Raziella »

Hey, I justed wanted to let you guys know that it might be awhile before I get mine done. But I will get it done!
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

So my task for Larkania this time was the color changing monkey:

These guys can be found in Zul'Gurub or the northern Stranglethorn Valley. I didn't want to go to the dungeon so I took a flight from Orgrimmar to Grom'Gol. Right outside I found a Vale howler and tamed him.

Appearance:

Of course I tried out to find his colors. He liked to show up in brown or in dark grey and sometimes I got the black one with the red face. But I NEVER got the grey monkey. I dismissed and called him endlessly for the last two days. No grey monkey. This was the color I had been looking forward to most, but he doesn't like me. Could someone perhaps check if he/she gets a grey one out of the color-changer?
I named my new monkey Bingo. I already had tried out a monkey when they came out new and was not very fond of them so I was giving him a second chance to proof himself.
His face is quite cute, when he is in his brown form. The red one just looks odd for me and the dark grey one almost like a skull. But he has a lot of personality in this little face.
What had already bothered me before was Bingo's size. He is a small pet and next to my Tauren he looks like he could be a companion rather than a pet. I already mentioned it before, that I prefer big pets, especially next to Larkania, so Bingo lost some of the points he had made with his cute face.

Animations:

Monkeys have the same idle animations as gorillas: bang their chests and scratch the butt. I must say: I don't like either of them. The bang-chest looks good with a gorilla, but a small monkey banging his chest looks like a child playing grown-up. The butt scratching: just eeeeew. But regarding his special ability it seems fitting :lol:
Sometimes he also seems to be looking to the ground.
His swimming animation was - uhm - interesting. He seemed to float in the water only moving his arms slightly. When not moving under water he even looked dead. Not so pleasant to have the feeling of a dead pet floating next to you.
Next thing that bothered me was his running animation. It has already been mentioned by several people here on the forums that the awkward movement of monkeys is the reason they don't like them and I can only agree. From the top you can see him moving his front legs/arms more to the left than the others. He looks weirdly out of shape when running, like two different pets where you always can only see half of. When watching from behind, he seems to lack his head. So running animations are a definite no-go for me. I really hated watching him run.

Sounds:

His sounds were in fact quite fitting: lots of "giggling", screaming and noise. I think he could fear off the enemies by just making sounds. "Uh uh uh"

Fighting:

I took Bingo to several battlegrounds with me. His special ability is to throw his poop at others to blind them. Just reading his ability grossed me out. Why can't he throw a banana-peel instead? Well yes, he throws poop and perhaps throwing poop at alliance would help us win. I totally forgot about taking screenshots of him during the fights. The battlegrounds were all quite stressfull and I had problems staying alive due to 3 nightelf warriors constantly stalking me.
First thing I noticed: Bingo's blind breaks when the blinded target gets damage. And here comes the true problem I had with the ability. Even when I wanted to send him to an other player and then started shooting an other one before he reached the target I sent him to, he changed his path and attacked my target, using his blind first, that naturally broke the next instant because of my next shot. I don't put my pet on passiv in a battleground, this was the only solution I could come up with for the blind, but I normally forget about sending it to battle then and it is useless. So I thought about switching targets after his blinds, but normally my targets have serpent sting on them, so no use for the blind either. I think it probably could be kind of useful in an arena, but I don't do arenas with Larkania. So instead of being a help in the battlegrounds I felt that Bingo was more of a problem for me. His damage output wasn't as good as the one of a ferocity pet, his ability didn't help me and his sounds started to annoy me.

Conclusion:

Bingo is no pet I will keep. I gave monkeys a second chance, but I just don't like them. His ability was useless for me, his sounds were annoying after some time of hearing them, his dps output was not the greatest and his size was a serious problem for me with a Tauren.
Even Withers didn't approve. He was bigger than my pet (at least at first :D )

Next roll please:
Name: Larkania (Tauren)
Exotics: yes please!
Restrictions: no diseased pets please
Rares she has: Gondria, Ban'thalos, blue Madexx, OCJ, Solix, Arcturis

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

With the color-changing monkey, if you didn't get the grey in the rotation it could be simply that Blizzard has taken the grey color out of that particular rotation and Petopia is just incorrect.

As to the monkey special ability, Bad Manner, it works just like Scatter Shot (I believe) and it's intended for it to break on damage. It used to be a flat out stun, but Blizzard finally fixed it. I believe the rogue blind breaks on damage as well.

I'll try to get some rolls out a bit later.

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

@Tyger: I remember reading something about the ability having changed. It is just somewhat annoying to send your pet to one mob just to have it run over to the next one when shooting at it. I really miss the "aggressive" stance frome my pet :( And I wonder why our cc-abilities make us stop shooting but our pet's abilities won't. That's somehow wrong in my opinion. Either make you stop shooting at whatever form of control or not at all... Just my two cents...

And just because I feel like it: Thank you for always doing the rolls. I know that I take my time to write a report, but I want to get to know the pet I write about and sometimes it takes me few days to figure out what I like about it and what I dislike. I don't want you to feel like I forget about my rolls. I love taming the pets but I also need to be in the mood to test the pet properly :)

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I don't mind that it takes you a few days or so to get your reports out--I understand the feeling entirely. :D

[/center]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Double post for rolls!

Kalhoun:
Sambas

Finduilas(Larkania):
White Rhino
Figured I'd give your tauren something big and beefy since you mentioned liking bigger pets with her, however, if Larkania has already made a report on this skin, feel free to ask for a reroll. :)

[/center]
lassamoon0614
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by lassamoon0614 »

Name: Lassamoon
Level: 1-85
Exotics: Either
Restrictions: Really just the level 85 rares, I already have most of them.
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

My assignment this time was Sambas, the rare lion from Twilight Highlands. Prepare for much gushing, because this is my favorite pet.

Hooligan, my Sambas, is Kalhoun's BFF... it's like they were made for each other. I almost always have Hooligan out - I use him for practically everything. I would rather use him over any spirit beast. His agi/str buff is lovely, and being a Ferocity pet, things die very fast. Soloing dungeons, dailies, farming, 5 mans... Hooligan is by Kalhoun's side more often than not.

I tamed my Sambas the same night I hit 85. Had a funny feeling to go check, and there he was - he spawned right under me just as I got to his Westernmost spawn point. Another hunter landed just as I finished the tame, and cheered for the two of us.

Here he is, inside Stonecore - we spend a lot of time here together. He matches Kalhoun's hair and eye color perfectly. Next to a human, Sambas is a big kitty!

He's also very patriotic if you are Alliance. Kinda fun to match your pet and mount.

One of Sambas's noteworthy features is his ridiculously enormous mane. He also has a bit of a doofy face. Another thing a lot of folks notice, is that he has a weird, undulating blob on his chest - it moves around as he does his idle bobbing animation. The riding saber cat models have this as well, but not as pronounced. I think The mane polygons made it worse or something. Luckily, I am able to ignore it, since I love my Hooli - nobody is perfect, after all.

Weird boob blob from another angle. Since my view is almost always looking from behind, I never even see it unless I'm turning my camera around and looking for it.

Like any cat, he attacks with paw swipes and roars. His Claw attack leaves red slash effects.

Sambas comes with a built in Stealth, but I keep it turned off. He only needs to stealth when I do.

Hooligan comes with me every day to kill Anzu.

Cats yawn. It's what they do. Sambas is no exception. This yawning comes with a sound effect that may annoy people. I've run with a cat for so long (before Sambas it was a Pridewatcher in BC, who were the first to have this sound effect) that I'm able to completely tune it out.

Hooligan kills mobs in Stonecore when I feel like doing a few solo runs.

Unfortunately, I have to dismiss him for my turtle when I reach Slabhide. But it's Hooli who gets me there, typically.

I pretty much never get to use him in 10 mans. I was hoping to get shots of him chewing on Ragnaros, but I was using my corehound instead. But he came along with me to farm volatile air for an enchant later.

Cats have a smooth, rolling gate. I like it a lot.
Look at that happy, derpy face.

So yes, Sambas the lion... or Hooligan the lion. His model has it's faults, but to me it gives him a doofy, lovable quality. I imagine Kalhoun losing things in all of that mane - "So that's where those Tol'vir fragments went..."
Last edited by Kalhoun on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.