Random "Pet Theme" Challenge

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Siladria
Realm: Feathermoon

Re: Random "Pet Theme" Challenge

Unread post by Siladria »

Scifi Pets!

The overall theme - it is nice. I like the look of most of them. Since I had to get thru the Hyjal quests (oh how I hate phasing), i had a lot of quests to take these guys thru. I primarily solo quested, since I rarely PVP, and haven't been up for pugs lately. I got some goggles and a plain shirt (no lab coat, alas) and found that the gnomes in Ironforge are cooking up some potions in tinker town. As for how they fit in with my other pets, the piggy fit right in - my pets tend toward purple, green, or both. The nether ray also fit.

So, here are my Sci Fi pets.
Red Warp Stalker - Gkika
She was prettier than I thought. I loved the way she walks. She has a walk with smaller strides that makes her wiggle a lot and a walk with longer strides that is more graceful. The slow attack is actually really nice in PVE when she is tanking (especially when I am too lazy to send her in first). She tanks great. The thing I don't like about her is that the sounds that go with her attacks are kind of annoying. Really annoying. Annoying enough that I turn down the sound when I had her out.
Taming Gkika:
Taming Gkika.jpg
Taming Gkika.jpg (507.66 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
For science!
Gkika for SCIENCE.jpg
Gkika for SCIENCE.jpg (338.31 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
Gold Chimera - Ognian
I like Chemeras. This one is less attractive than the others. His sound effects are pretty cool (Grr, caw, <lightening zot>, <frost breath swoooooosh)). He did not do well tanking - i suppose I could have been not lazy and send him in first, but he died a lot and got in the way of me targeting. I consider him more of a PVP pet, unless I am expecting a lot of AOE in PVE, and possibly not even then if it loses the group an important buff. And the constant flapping can get to you really quickly
Taming Ognian:
Taming Ognian.jpg
Taming Ognian.jpg (475.42 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
For Science!
Ognian for SCIENCE.jpg
Ognian for SCIENCE.jpg (349 KiB) Viewed 13956 times

Black Felboar - Dimo
Okay... The last time I tamed a pig it was Precious (pre Cata, so she was pretty back then). This piggy sounds NOTHING like Precious. The felboar sounds more like the warp stalker than a regular piggy (see above for my opinions on those). It's actually pretty. More purple and green than black (little black feet though). He's a good tank, but I can't get past the non-piggy noises. I wanted the squeal, oink, grunt. He was barely a piggy. He's not any better or worse than most tenacity pets at tanking.
Taming Dimo:
Taming Dimo.jpg
Taming Dimo.jpg (394.53 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
For Science!
Dimo for SCIENCE.jpg
Dimo for SCIENCE.jpg (351.38 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
Purple Nether Ray - Jenka
I want to like the nether ray. Especially after seeing this:
Mount - Pet - Pet - Jenka.jpg
Mount - Pet - Pet - Jenka.jpg (396.57 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
But while she is very pretty, her utility is just limited, at least in PVE - maybe she is more handy in PVP. The sound effects are non offensive, but not especially cool. I spent the least time with this pet, since the special ability is situational and her tanking was non-existent. She died a lot too (okay, i could have thrown a few more mend pets her way).
For Science!
Jenka for SCIENCE.jpg
Jenka for SCIENCE.jpg (367.1 KiB) Viewed 13956 times

Red & Black Ravager - Maxim
I am fond of ravagers. The sounds are not too bad, and they have a debuff that I rarely see in groups, so I end up bringing a ravager out fairly often. Ravagers are in my short list (the 5 I carry with me). In the context of questing, he isn't the best choice. I like cunning pets more in SV spec, but they are still good in BM.

Taming Maxim:
Taming Maxim.jpg
Taming Maxim.jpg (487.13 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
For Science!
Maxim for SCIENCE.jpg
Maxim for SCIENCE.jpg (324.37 KiB) Viewed 13956 times

If only I could have given them hats...
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Acherontia wrote:Ha! If too many are overlaps, let me know and I'll roll a new set, lol :P
I missed this, but no need, they're fine. :D None of the ones you rolled overlap, except the dragonhawk, but Ruffles has the other orange one. I still can't see the difference between em. :lol:

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

My baby hunter is bored, so she needs a challenge. I already took terms in the random pet challenge and found out I really enjoy testing pets.
Name: Larkania, Tauren hunter
Level: 78
exotics: yes
restrictions: no diseased pets please!
Stable slots: give me four to five?!
Armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/n ... nia/simple

Since she is a Tauren, I'd love to have a theme, that shows her connection to beasts and nature. She has some pets in her stable, but I tamed them rather randomly and they don't fit in any theme.

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

All righty, I got the first of my pet reports completed. :D First up is my darling little piggy. :3

Looks:
I gotta say, going back through my screenshots to make these panels a couple of days after taking them all really made me see them in a new light. For example, that shot of Ruffles and Lemon together? I can't believe how noble Lemon looks; she doesn't know, or care, that she has a bit of a silly name, just that she's there to defend her mistress. Or perhaps I'm just going loopy, I'm not entirely sure yet. :lol: Needless to say, I really love this little boar.

Going into a little more depth, this particular boar has an orange-colored base skin with a dark brown snout, black eyes, white and brown stripes, and a bright yellow mane. This gal can be very bright to look at in most settings, but I don't find it as annoying as I thought, and I personally think it covers up some of the flaws the boar models suffer. The main flaws on the boar are their blocky/angular builds; when you get to studying them, you can see lots of lines where their bodies connect that just look kind of strange. Their other major flaw is their 2D, pixellated manes--I do think that the brightness of this particular boar hides it a little bit, but it doesn't change the fact that they could do with a few more polygons to help them out. The stripes on her sides could pass off as scratches, but I'm personally calling them her warpaint. :D

Sounds and Animations:
Boars make the most adorable and endearing set of squeals and grunts in combat ever. Or maybe I'm just biased, who knows. Out of combat they're quiet, but possess some of the most adorable idle animations in the game. It is very hard not to fall in love with a boar once you see their idle. Their first idle animation is to swing their head from side to side, looking as if they're challenging someone, and their second idle is when they first sniff the ground, and then move into their famous butt wiggle. Cutest. Thing. Ever. :lol: I find their run and swim to be pleasant as well, with their run being them barreling along beside you and their swim being a basic piggy paddle.

Combat:
The combat screenshots were a surprise for me as well. I couldn't believe how fierce and determined Lemon looked in most of them. Anywho, Lemon is a tenacity pet, but that didn't stop me from speccing her to be more DPS oriented since I was SV spec and had little use for her bleed. She and I ripped the Grimtotem in Feralas asunder. Boars have two main combat animations that I noticed. One is an upward thrusting of their muzzle to gore their opponent with those dangerous tusks, and the other is a basic lunge and bite.

The boars' special ability is Gore, which causes the enemy to take 30% increased bleed damage. One neat thing I noticed about Lemon using this ability is that if there's at least 2 mobs attacking her, she will do her best to keep the debuff going on both mobs (not sure if they can handle more than two). This ability on a tenacity pet really only benefits MM hunters as neither of the other two specs have bleeds. If you're bringing this debuff for your raid group then you'll be better served by a hyena as it's a ferocity pet. You could maybe get by with a boar in PvP, but the classes that would benefit from it will probably be better served using their own abilities. Even for PvE the only spec I can think of that would benefit from someone else providing the bleed is a Cat druid so that they can get more shreds in. Subtlety isn't really viable for end game PvE, bear druids want to mash Mangle on CD, and I'm not entirely sure about Arms warriors. I personally feel that the main reason for keeping a boar around is less because of the debuff they bring and mostly because they're just so darn cute.

That said, Lemon will be staying in Ruffley's stables. I had fun running around with her in game, and was really surprised by the way she ended up looking in a lot of my screenshots.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

My first pet was a boar, albeit one of the grey Durotar ones, and I still keep her. Lemon is absolutely adorable!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Why thank you! ^_^ I have a hard time saying no to boars. :lol:

[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I love it, lol :D Lemon is just awesome, to be honest ;D The background really brings out her colors!

For Larkania:

Creatures of the Northern Woods!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Black Bear, Dark Brown Owl, Lynx, Red Fox, and the Pale Gray Worg!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks Ache! :D Got all the raptor's screenshots done, hopefully I'll have his report up tomorrow.

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Thank you Acherontia. I'll start as soon as I'm finished with my random Pet from the other Thread :)

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I was assigned:

Creatures of the Northern Woods!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Black Bear, Dark Brown Owl, Lynx, Red Fox, and the Pale Gray Worg!

I must say: I really loved this challenge from the beginning. I'm studying the northern languages at university and loved how the creatures fit my taste and Larkania's connection to beasts and nature.

First there was Chocolate the bear.

I tamed him in Loch Modan. It was a really quick tame. He tried to hit me, but of course he missed, I still think, the picture was cute :)
I had a bear like him before cata and always thought about getting one again. There was my chance to get him home again. I love bears as companions while doing quests and for solo-instances. This buddy really looks cute. His black colour is like the one of dark chocolate (that's the reason for his name). I love his tanking abilities and his Demoralizing roar make him a good companion while doing quests or solo dungeons.

Then there was Cream the Fox.

I loved foxes since I saw one in RL and always wanted to have on for my hunter in Wow, so here was my chance to get one. I already have Ashtail with Findu, and didn't want to tame her an "normal" one, so Larkania came in right. I tamed cream also in Loch Modan, came in really handy to have these two there. He was really small and tiny, but he grew up a bit, after having tamed him.
I love the appearance of foxes, their sound, their animations, almost everything: I really dislike their special ability... But since it doesn't do any harm, I just ignore it and happily take my fox to random dungeons.
I named my Fox Cream, becaouse his belly looks like he fell into a pot of cream :)
His animations are the same wolfes have. He sniffes the ground and scratches the back of his head really cute. He sometimes even gives a little howl.
AND: he can dance... I think this ability (among with the Trick of Birds of Prey) ist really silly.... I wouldn't have needed it. But it really looks funny, when he's dancing with a shaman, like Cream did with our healer in Stratholme.

Next pet on my list was a lynx (actually I tamed him before Chocolate and Cream, after a visit in Undercity)
Lodjur the lynx:

I tamed Lodjur (his name is Icelandic for lynx) in the eversong woods. I always thought lynxes were only fitting for Bloodelfes, and I'm really glad, I wasn't assigned the red one. But this more greyish lynx really fits Larkania well. He is not too small and his decent colours match her hair (mane?) perfectly. He was really cute while taming him, trying to hit Larkania and shaking his head from one side to the other. I took him to Stratholme with Larkania and really got to love this pet. I always prefer cats to every other beasts, they do really good dps and hold aggro quite well. After the screenshots in Thunderbluff I got the feeling, that lynxes really would fit better in Mulgore than in Eversong :) His skin matches the woody environment and Lodjur really felt loved and like home there.

After my journey in the "old" lands I made a trip to Shattrath to catch my the owl and the wolf.

First I picked up Miruna the worg:

I found her wandering the forest of Terokkar with a friend of hers. She is not the first worg with this skin I tamed. My Orc had one before he fell over Deathmaw. I like his appearance (his mane is so fluffy) and his slightly darker back. Mirunas howl really is great, when you have a dk (or warri) in group and don't need a cat's roar of courage.
I wouldn't use Miruna for doing quests, but I got to know her as a great dungeon-companion.

My last companion to find was the dark brown owl.
Meet Cinnamon:

I'd tried out several birds of pray with Larkania already, like Seagulls or Hawks, but I didn't bond with them. They just don't go along with a tauren (especially the Seagull looks like a mini-companion next to Larkania). To find Cinnamon I entered the Sethekk Halls and stole her from her former owner with the help of a willing Miruna killing the adds. I dismissed Miruna, put Cinnamon in freezing trap and tamed. I think she was glad I got her out of these nasty halls and showed her around in Kalimdor. I really love the ability of her, to snatch my enemy's weapon so I took her to a Arathi.
She really did so well. Dks and warris were no problem for us.
okay, this poor guy was only 76, but I had no problems with one in my level (79), too.
I will keep Cinnamon as pvp-pet for Larkania, for I really love her colours and her ability.

Conclusion:
I love all the pets that were assigned to me and I think I will keep all of them, at least until my stable is going to explode... They really match Larkania and now I finally found pets for every situation to take with her. I took my screenshots in Tunderbluff, as I think the nature there really looks like I got to know the northern woods. Needle trees, buildings of wood and everything is so close to nature.
I love it!

Edit: After my dungeons it's finally completed.
Attachments
chocolate.JPG
chocolate.JPG (99.31 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
Cream.jpg
Cream.jpg (93.39 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
Lodjur.jpg
Lodjur.jpg (96.35 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
Miruna.jpg
Miruna.jpg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
Cinnamon BG.JPG
Cinnamon BG.JPG (116.4 KiB) Viewed 13956 times
Cinnamon.jpg
Cinnamon.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 13956 times

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Belated orange raptor report. >_<

This here is going to be Meringue, and before I get into his details, I'd like to share his taming story because it's one of the most unique rare encounters I've had. XD So I decided that since he was in my level range, I'd go after Dart, the rare orange raptor in Dustwallow. So I'm running around his little area looking for him and his little nest when suddenly I'm being ganked by this orange raptor! I turn around and fire an arrow at him when it finally clicks in my brain that he's the mob I need to tame! I quickly untarget him, throw a freezing trap down and tame him without a hitch. Apparently he decided that if he was coming with me, it was going to be on his terms. :lol:

Looks:
Meringue at Ruffley's side was love at first sight. Orange pets seem to fit her fur color extremely well and I love the pop of teal from his stripes and feathers. In my opinion, the raptors have one of the best older hunter pet models. They're really well-detailed and have very few flaws. Their jewelry is a nice little touch, although most of it is just painted right on their skin. Their teeth appear to be flat-textured, although better defined than old world cats'. Raptor eyes also vary in weirdness; as predators one would assume that their eyes should be looking forward, but when viewed from the front, some skins look as if their eyes are bugging out to the sides. I find that Meringue's skin appears to be a mix between. The other weird things about raptors are the odd little indentation they get in the top of their head when they open their jaw (marked with a red arrow), and that sometimes their shoulders look disjointed--their skin also stretches strangely over them.

Sounds, Animations, and Combat:
I feel that sounds and animations are a real shining point for raptors; their sounds are very apt to their species--loud screeching and roaring. Some might find it annoying, I think it's kind of appealing. Animations wise, they don't really have much in the way of an idle, they just stand there and flick their claws and bounce, but when running and swimming they look very powerful with those well-muscled legs of theirs.

For combat, Meringue is a ferocity pet and puts out very good damage, which means he's also not much of a tank, which is fine since between the two of us we down mobs quickly. Raptors have two combat animations; a lunge and bite attack, and the very awesome jump kick/slash attack. It's really hard to get good/great shots of the jump kick (or at least most of mine sucked), but it's a lot of fun to watch. Sort of realistic looking I suppose.

The raptor special ability is Tear Armor, which reduces an enemy's armor by 4% and stacks up to 5 times. I've no real idea if the raptor will try to upkeep this on more than one target. Tear Armor is a fantastic ability to have around for melee oriented groups that don't have a warrior around for sunders (or have a lazy warrior). I think rogue's can sunder as well, but I don't think they actually use it. I imagine that much like the ravager and worm's debuffs, this debuff would increase the raptor's own physical damage on a target and thereby its potential threat output for soloing, but don't quote me as 100% sure on that. XD Raptors are a good all around pet to have around, even for PvP, although I prefer a little more control when I PvP, the sunder seems like it could be useful.

Overall, Meringue is a keeper. Ruffles originally had the brown Outlands raptor skin, but after taming this guy it was just like "wow." The old world raptors just seem like they have so much more life than their Outlands counter-parts and their scales don't look as weird. Plus, I really like that Meringue pops at Ruffley's side where Peaches just blended in.

[/center]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

And now for an orange tarantula!

Looks:
While Marmalade's colors are perfect for Ruffley (orange pets really do look best with her), I just find the tarantulas in WoW very off-putting. Almost all of their entire bodies are incredibly low res and pixellated, their eyes usually look like those little googly eyes glued on to their faces, and the venom/acid on their mandibles is just icky to me. Definitely my least favorite spider models no matter how hard I try to like them. The other thing that really bugs me about tarantulas is their legs--where all of their legs connect to their body, they all connect in the exact same spot and thus overlap one another. It's become one of those "can't unsee" things for me that drives me nuts because the other spider models don't have this feature.

Sounds, Animations, and Combat:
Spiders make a chittering sort of sound when they go into combat (not real sure how to describe it). For some reason this noise does not bother me half as much as the sound their feet make. When idling and moving their legs about, they make a squishing noise, this noise can be heard while they're running as well. Creeps me out. Anyway, when it comes to their running animation, I often refer to tarantulas as one of those wind up childrens toys that scoot along the ground as that's exactly what these guys look like; the faster they move, the more they vibrate across the ground. Yet another turn off for keeping this guys as pets for me. At least their swim is a little more redeeming (now that they have one). They just sort of squish through the water using those long legs of theirs--kind of like a squid.

Marmalade is a cunning pet so he puts out good damage and even provides some decent utility. He sadly only has one combat animation and that is to leap forward and bite his opponent. The spider's special is Web, which roots the enemy target for 5 seconds. This provides some good utility for soloing MM/SV hunters (I suppose it can be useful for BM hunters too, but since they stop to cast this at range, it just seems like a waste of time while you wait to cast KC). This also makes spiders handy PvP pets against melee targets and flag carriers. I think the web also has limited uses in dungeons where you might need to stop runners, but it would be incredibly situational and you'd be better served making sure other important buffs and debuffs are covered.

Overall Marmalade will not be staying with Ruffley. The spider I have my heart set on for her is Solix (and he shall be dubbed Habanero :twisted: ). I still can't get over my aversion to tarantulas either; they just look too goofy for me.

[/center]
Nahrem
Realm: Cenarion Circle

Unread post by Nahrem »

Name & Level: Aose, 19
Exotics: No
Pet Slots: 4 or 5 please!
Restrictions: None!

Something interesting to do with my little dwarf hunter ;)
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

This is getting a little sleepy here *pokes the thread*
I started an other hunter today, and I'd love to have a roll for her.

Name: Nerdanel (Belf)
Level: atm 17, but give me till 25
Pet slots: 4-5
Restrictions: my level is enough :)

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Just a headsup that I'm no longer playing WoW, so I probably won't be updating this thread. If anyone else wants to do the rolls or continue it, feel free, and apologies to anyone who's requested.
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

That's sad to hear. But in this case I completely understand if it will get closed. Thank you Acheronita for doing it such a long time! I had great fun with my challenge for Larkania and still have all the pets with her.

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

So some of you know me in that I help run Kormai's single pet challenge thread. After speaking with Ache, I'm going to build upon her themes and continue to run this thread for her for those still interested. :D

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Oh yeah! *squees* I'm in! Thank you Tiger!

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Ardawen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Lots of servers (all EU)

Unread post by Ardawen »

ok i am interested as well, i have several young hunters that i am not sure which pet's to pick for yet, so this might be a good way to find new pets i can connect with.

Grimwolde lvl 36 (dwarven female engineer)
exotics:no
pet slots 3

Joryan lvl 16 goblin
exotics: no
pet slots 3

let's stick to these two for now, else i might lose sight of what to do :)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Finduilas(Nerdanel):
Egyptian Theme
Red Scarab Beetle Green Crocolisk Hunched Brown Cat Green Serpent
Image Image Image Image

Ardawen(Grimwolde):
A White Theme
White Dire Worg White Wind Serpent White Spotted Saber Cat
Image Image Image

Ardawen(Joryan):
An Orange Theme
Light Brown Eagle Orange Raptor Brown Boar
Image Image Image

[/center]