TAMABLE HYDRAS? (patch 4.1 on PTR, no tamables found yet)

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
Wark
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring-US

Re: TAMABLE HYDRAS? (patch 4.1 on PTR, no tamables found yet

Unread post by Wark »

Cialbi wrote:Wark, have you used a chimaera recently? When 4.0.1 came out, Froststorm Breath was horribly broken; high chance of your pet expending all that focus and just sitting there channeling a phantom ability. At some point, it was hotfixed; now, when you use Froststorm Breath, it will be cast unless your pet lacks the focus or is incapacitated/stunned/silenced/etc.
That doesn't address my potent hate for the ability, which is that it's EXTREMELY positional-- but we can barely do anything to position our pet without a lot of time and effort. I am quite willing to accept that a jiggling chimaera spamming it would be a hilarious anti-stealth maneuver in PvP, but it still doesn't do beans for AoE in that case (unless five rogues were all standing right on top of each other as they crept up on you).

So we currently have one "AoE" ability that's pretty much worthless for AoE because it demands perfect positioning from our pet, an entity we have limited direct control over; and the other AoE ability is annoying but DOES actually do AoE, but only for DPS purposes-- from a Tenacity pet.

See, it's not even necessarily that I won't tolerate pet AoE capabilities, it's that the game should take out a restraining order against whoever is trying to design them.

.../rerail: so how's about those hydras? I hear they have three heads and everything! Too bad we can't tame them right now: imagine if you could get all three heads Biting in synchronization! :o
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:I agree with not needing another AoE pet. The ones we have are incredibly clunky to use and we're not even supposed to be AoEing as much in this expansion anyway (I'm aware that certain encounters are designed to be AoE fests). I often find that in standard dungeons, single targeting mobs down is more preferable than AoEing (unless I'm SV with serpent spread).
Well, then they need to fix BM AOE, which they claim they are doing, but it's still not worth casting multi-shot.

In heroics there when there's a cloud of adds (especially those jacked-up little shale spiders), I just set my pet on aggressive and stand there. It's not worth casting a single shot as BM in that scenario. Even with the damage boost to multi on the PTR, that still isn't enough to help BM, because that will likely be taken away anyway (or SV is going to see nerfs to compensate for it).

But I would still like to see another AOE pet, and the hydra is a natural choice.
Account has been closed at user's request.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Wark wrote: .../rerail: so how's about those hydras? I hear they have three heads and everything! Too bad we can't tame them right now: imagine if you could get all three heads Biting in synchronization! :o
If they make them tamable, I hope they fix it so that all three heads attack; as it is currently in WMV, only one head attacks from what I remember seeing. :(

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

Pet hydra want. ;^;
I had to get rid of my ghost hydra because I had absolutely no room for her in my stables (before Cata and before I knew there'd be 25 stable slots) and I'm starting to miss her. I'd be joyous to get my dear Nessy back (even if she'd be in different color form).

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Celi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Saurfang, Oceanic

Unread post by Celi »

Harpier, you should see if you can find a GM who will restore your ghost hydra :)
Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

Celi wrote:Harpier, you should see if you can find a GM who will restore your ghost hydra :)
Somewhere in the forums is the story of how I got my Hydra restored =) You can always give it a go

*hugs Exedra*

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Ara
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU, Kilrogg-EU

Unread post by Ara »

Tyuriwen wrote:
Celi wrote:Harpier, you should see if you can find a GM who will restore your ghost hydra :)
Somewhere in the forums is the story of how I got my Hydra restored =) You can always give it a go

*hugs Exedra*

Yeah, got my ghost hydra back aswell after ticket it to a GM. So happy to have him back. <3
*squeesehug Kiwi*

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Wain wrote:
Redith wrote:But if they are just going to make it a vanity pet why havent they touched the slimes? Surely they wouldnt go
"Ok those who have the Hydras lets make them not fight and just have them be pretty, the slimes? Eh just let them still be useable"
I don't think it's about them deliberately crippling the ghost hydra or, as you say, they would have done the slime as well.

It's a matter of them partially completing a hydra family, moving the ghost hydra to it, and then not finishing it. I think it's more crippled through lack of completion than by design.
This.

See, with Garwal, it was because they didn't want him as a pet. However, there was also the Sandfury Guardian. .... which might be before a lot of people's time.

See, originally, before serpents were tameable, you could tame Sandfury Guardian as a windserpent. After a time, the Sandfury Guardian had its tameability removed, and all those that had been tamed were made so you couldn't train them, couldn't feed them... if you ran around with them, they would vanish eventually, because at this point, if pets weren't fed, they would get ticked off and run away. People got around this by queuing for Arena, since arena would 'feed' the pet.

After a time, they actually brought in the 'serpent' family, which is what Sandfury Guardian was made to be a part of. But it wasn't an immediate thing. I suspect that this is what is happening (bar the 'run away' and 'unfeedable'; this time it actually has a diet) with the hydra. .... and I suspect that, considering the work is still not done and it's getting down to the wire, this is what will happen with our hydralisk until 4.2 or so.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Just a correction, Battlegrounds :) Arenas didn't really exist yet.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
azurelith
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage(alliance)/ Bronzebeard(horde)

Unread post by azurelith »

I don't know if it was metioned earlier but I just logged onto the ptr and noticed that my ghost hydra seems to have regained his armor and is now a ferocity pet instead of tenacity.

The pic.

Did a check but still no tamables that i could find.

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

well, thats something! Yay!!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Hmm atleast that is something new! It means they are still fiddling around with them so thats a good sign

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Solunerra
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Terokkar

Unread post by Solunerra »

Yes it is good news. I sure hope to see them.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I like the sound of them being ferocity, but if they keep the 5% crit buff, there's already two ferocity families that supply it. =/

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
twilightsky
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Auchindoun, Terenas

Unread post by twilightsky »

i really hope they give bm a aoe, i have to keep going survival for fights like magmaw >.<
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

twilightsky wrote:i really hope they give bm a aoe, i have to keep going survival for fights like magmaw >.<
BM has TWO aoes.

Chimaera and Worm.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

I know this isn't necessarily about the PTR Hydras, but with regards to owners of the Ghost Hydras at present, does anyone know if you turn off 'Enable Pet Sounds', does that mean others can't hear them aswell? Or is it just you?

*really wishes they'd stop it from idling every 5 seconds, at least it doesn't overlap anymore, but it's still too frequent*

Funny tidbit: The Hydras aggro noise is that of a Wyvern. =3 Sounds amazing but I had to get rid of it because of the incessant 'head-bashing' >.<

o/t: It's great that they're making Hydras Ferocity (I solely believe that because I have way too many Tenacity pets as it is, haha. I also thought that because of the Hydra's 'bulk' it would stay a Tenacity pet but eh, it's purely speculation at this point.)

They should have something similiar to the raptor's/devilsaur's Special Ability, whereby there are 3 applications, one for each head =D Perhaps a poison spit or something. The crit buff doesn't sound too great since, as Tyger stated, we already have two pets with that buff currently.

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I'm hoping they don't make it exotic, too. If it's ferocity anyways, doesn't that further upset some balance?

*crosses fingers.* >>;
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I hope it is exotic. Theres a ton of pets already out there that aren't exotic so lets balance it out, Blizzard. :3

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

If they become exotic then they should become a cunning or tenacity pet, imo, since we already have 3 ferocity exotics, although I'd really prefer if they weren't exotic. Can't wait to see the massive QQ from all the hunters that wanted hydras but got screwed because they don't play BM.

[/center]