Rak shiri changes again!

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
Nefretiti
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Re: Rak shiri changes again!

Unread post by Nefretiti »

personally I am overjoyed Rak is going back to his/her old self .. I was among those pissed off by the initial change as I had my Rak since mid 2005 .. no I am not any more or any less special than others with the same cat but Rak'shiri was the sole .. yes sole reason I rolled a hunter in the first place because of the amazing aqua skin he/she had.
I was heartbroken when Tipsy changed but I could not bring myself to abandon him and tame Shy .. after all .. despite the change he was still my loyal companion .. just older and alittle different .. needless to say I was happy and relived when this news broke.
The old guy will get his true colors back.

I can understand those who liked Raks white self albeit different that skin will be avalible on the Frostsabers commonly found around winterspring now .. so the skin wont be exclusive to the nelf starter cats. :)

:hug: all around
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

No, the skin won't be exclusive, but just as many of you Rak owners who lost the teal also felt that you couldn't tame Shy because it wouldn't be the same pet, the same is true for some of us who tamed him with the white skin--I'd be losing the pet.

But truthfully, I'm really happy for all the people who are getting their old friend back. I'm a little bummed, but happy for everyone who missed him overall. It broke my heart to abandon Rufus (my white skinned Rak), it was the second time I almost cried giving up a pet, but I've since made new friends with Twinkie, my Sambas. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Fillmore
Realm: Firetree

Unread post by Fillmore »

How is the hunter community losing one of it's rares a good thing? Let me extrapolate.

For logic's sake let's assume we all agree we collect the skins because when Blizz changed unique stats for pets (or as I called it, the day Brokentooth died) they ceased being "pets" per se. I understand many of you probably RP but allow me some latitude before you get upset. So after Blizz did this, you had Rak and 10 feet away Shy. They are the same cat. I'm sorry one's eyes aren't brighter- and this is coming from someone that stalked Humar for weeks only to have Pitch ruin it months later. So trust me, I get it.

Anyway you have two of the same cat, so Blizz made Rak the white and black saber cat most of us who leveled NE abandoned without much thought and made that area worth camping again. They even made Shy not need the quest. They are even bringing brought back Siam- who like the current Rak is only attainable early by one faction/race. But putting Rak back to aqua, with Shy ten feet away and tons of the white and black sabercats everywhere is bad for the COMMUNITY. I understand people have their opinions but logically speaking, us as a community are losing one just like we did Humar. And Aquacat is still easy to walk up to and tame, take your pick.

I don't get how this is a good thing. If anything they should alter the quest, make Shy rare like Siam and leave Rak white and black. Just my .02

The funny part is that with the respawn timers being what they are in this area it's not that big a deal getting them anyway. I think I read the new Siam is a five minute spawn a la Ashtail...
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

True...But the thing is...

I don't want Shy. I never wanted Shy. I never wanted to do the quest. I wanted to spend the time camping Rak'shiri to get the cat. And going and changing my cat is like taking one of my RL pets and replacing it with a different one and still saying "Oh, that's still Hannibal!"

No, that's not Hannibal. That's a different pet. Same situation for Rak'shiri. They took my Moonlight, changed his skin, and said, "It's still Moonlight, lol!" And I didn't like that. They messed with my pet that I had loved and leveled with for 20 odd levels. And they took my favorite cat away and replaced it.

So, in the end, the two are a lot more different. It's not skin, it's YOU. And what YOU think about the pet.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Azunara wrote:True...But the thing is...

I don't want Shy. I never wanted Shy. I never wanted to do the quest. I wanted to spend the time camping Rak'shiri to get the cat. And going and changing my cat is like taking one of my RL pets and replacing it with a different one and still saying "Oh, that's still Hannibal!"

No, that's not Hannibal. That's a different pet. Same situation for Rak'shiri. They took my Moonlight, changed his skin, and said, "It's still Moonlight, lol!" And I didn't like that. They messed with my pet that I had loved and leveled with for 20 odd levels. And they took my favorite cat away and replaced it.

So, in the end, the two are a lot more different. It's not skin, it's YOU. And what YOU think about the pet.
^ Agreed.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

I do not agree .. Rak'shiri was ORIGINALLY the aqua skin, she was changed fairly recently to the black and white imho was a dumbass move on blizzards part, they should just have given the regular Frostsabers the riding tiger model instead of messing with a rare that so many loved and tamed for her beautiful aqua skin besides as far as I know few complained back when Rak'shiri and Shy-Rotam shared skins.
so how is it losing a rare? she is merely going back to "in my oppinion" her rightfull colors.

the white and black skin will be readily avalible on the frostsaber cats which are all over the area .. as they should have done it from the beginning.

just "my" two cents
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

You're basically telling us the same thing hunters with teal Rak were told when the skin turned white: "Just go tame Shy, it's the same thing."

Guess what? It's not the same thing to just go tame one of the white frostsabers. Everyone fell in love with different pets and the change is a double-edged sword.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:You're basically telling us the same thing hunters with teal Rak were told when the skin turned white: "Just go tame Shy, it's the same thing."

Guess what? It's not the same thing to just go tame one of the white frostsabers. Everyone fell in love with different pets and the change is a double-edged sword.
^ This

Many hunters got used to Rak'shiri being black/white, even if for some was disappointment. I abandoned my Rak now cause I dont like the aqua skin. It's too bright and I cant bring myself to go tame a common mob.

LisaaraPokefarm

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Like I said before, I'm happy the people who fell in love with Aqua Rak are getting their beloved pet back, but don't act mean to the rest of us who fell in love with the white skin. :)
You didn't like being told "go tame Shy" anymore then we like being told "but the skin is still available on a common mob." It wasn't just the skin I fell in love with, it was the cat behind it...and sadly, I don't see him the same way with a teal pelt. I bade him farewell before the change (and nearly cried). Thankfully I've made friends with Sambas. *huggles her Twinkie*

[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Like I said before, I'm happy the people who fell in love with Aqua Rak are getting their beloved pet back, but don't act mean to the rest of us who fell in love with the white skin. :)
You didn't like being told "go tame Shy" anymore then we like being told "but the skin is still available on a common mob." It wasn't just the skin I fell in love with, it was the cat behind it...and sadly, I don't see him the same way with a teal pelt. I bade him farewell before the change (and nearly cried). Thankfully I've made friends with Sambas. *huggles her Twinkie*
hah...twinkie...*giggle* But yes, Imma miss Alice a lot.....she leveled with me and everything.

LisaaraPokefarm

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

It makes me glad that I hadn't gotten the chance to develop a strong bond with Rufus, my white Rak. It was hard enough letting him go.

And yes, Twinkie the Sambas. =3 I love him and his *ahem* manly name, to pieces. :lol:

[/center]
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Yes I also tamed Rak shiri in the black/white model.. changed my araga (teeka) to rak shiri (teeka) and now.. its almost ..wierd. cause its Teeka but not Teeka..

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Fillmore
Realm: Firetree

Unread post by Fillmore »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:You're basically telling us the same thing hunters with teal Rak were told when the skin turned white: "Just go tame Shy, it's the same thing."

Not really there's only one Shy and one Rak; two one of a kind cats. Now there will be 2 aquacats (Shy and Rak) and a ton of the others. It's lose lose unless you are RPing which I'm getting the sense many of you are as some of you are telling me the the two aqua cats aren't the same. It's like saying Humar and Pitch are different, they aren't. At least for me. More power to you all tho. I mean that with sincerity. Almost all my pets are rares, have a look: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... llmore/pet So I am like you guys, I just look at it differently. Maybe I'm just desensitized after the Humar-Pitch thing and it seems to me it's the same thing.

It's just for me it's about collecting the unique looks whether rares, quests or what not. And now one unique saber is gone. I don't think us as a community of hunters benefits from this. It's all I'm saying. It's my opinion, and I'm not here trying to change anyones mind but merely share mine.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Fillmore wrote:

Not really there's only one Shy and one Rak; two one of a kind cats. Now there will be 2 aquacats (Shy and Rak) and a ton of the others. It's lose lose unless you are RPing which I'm getting the sense many of you are as some of you are telling me the the two aqua cats aren't the same. It's like saying Humar and Pitch are different, they aren't. At least for me. More power to you all tho. I mean that with sincerity. Almost all my pets are rares, have a look: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... llmore/pet So I am like you guys, I just look at it differently. Maybe I'm just desensitized after the Humar-Pitch thing and it seems to me it's the same thing.

It's just for me it's about collecting the unique looks whether rares, quests or what not. And now one unique saber is gone. I don't think us as a community of hunters benefits from this. It's all I'm saying. It's my opinion, and I'm not here trying to change anyones mind but merely share mine.
Not many of us were thrilled about Pitch, just so you know.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Fillmore wrote:It's lose lose unless you are RPing which I'm getting the sense many of you are as some of you are telling me the the two aqua cats aren't the same.
Not quite. It's not RPing to feel nostalgia for an inanimate (your old car, the coffee mug you had for 20 years...), or even virtual (hunter pet), object. In this case some people feel that way towards something they've had and treasured in the game for a long time. For them, going and taming another one is like telling someone who had a "lucky" object "just go and buy another that looks the same".

In Rak'shiri's case I take some of the blame for the situation. After Shy-Rotam was made a common spawn on the beta, we suddenly had a case where a rare and a common both had a pretty unusual skin that was previously a lot harder to get. Since the white tiger saber cat was then only available to starting hunters I suggested one of the two of those cats could take that skin instead. Originally I thought it would get a new NPC id, but that simply wasn't possible at that stage of the beta. So then a lot of people got very upset when their pet changed. More so than any other skin change. By far.

So when more skin/model changes became possible in 4.1 I suggested all remaining non-saber WS cats could become saber models (something I'd originally hoped for for 4.0.3, they ARE supposed to be sabers after all!) and Rak could get her old skin back. We knew that people who had tamed her between 4.0.3 and 4.1 would be upset about THAT skin changing. I knew someone had to lose. But I figured there were vastly more upset people who had tamed her between Vanilla and Cata than between Cata and 4.1, plus the former had a far longer time period over which to develop a nostalgia. I guess Noah agreed, or at least was happy to help out.

So sorry, I know people are going to be upset no matter what :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:
Fillmore wrote:It's lose lose unless you are RPing which I'm getting the sense many of you are as some of you are telling me the the two aqua cats aren't the same.
Not quite. It's not RPing to feel nostalgia for an inanimate (your old car, the coffee mug you had for 20 years...), or even virtual (hunter pet), object. In this case some people feel that way towards something they've had and treasured in the game for a long time. For them, going and taming another one is like telling someone who had a "lucky" object "just go and buy another that looks the same".

In Rak'shiri's case I take some of the blame for the situation. After Shy-Rotam was made a common spawn on the beta, we suddenly had a case where a rare and a common both had a pretty unusual skin that was previously a lot harder to get. Since the white tiger saber cat was then only available to starting hunters I suggested one of the two of those cats could take that skin instead. Originally I thought it would get a new NPC id, but that simply wasn't possible at that stage of the beta. So then a lot of people got very upset when their pet changed. More so than any other skin change. By far.

So when more skin/model changes became possible in 4.1 I suggested all remaining non-saber WS cats could become saber models (something I'd originally hoped for for 4.0.3, they ARE supposed to be sabers after all!) and Rak could get her old skin back. We knew that people who had tamed her between 4.0.3 and 4.1 would be upset about THAT skin changing. I knew someone had to lose. But I figured there were vastly more upset people who had tamed her between Vanilla and Cata than between Cata and 4.1, plus the former had a far longer time period over which to develop a nostalgia. I guess Noah agreed, or at least was happy to help out.

So sorry, I know people are going to be upset no matter what :(
Maybe they can change Shy-Rotam to a one of a kind skin instead of Rak? That way Rak would actually be unique again. His spawn timer is WAY low from what it used to be. I think that would make the majority happy then. Or put another rare cat out there too...Rak'shiri does need a mate.

LisaaraPokefarm

Purrverted

Unread post by Purrverted »

I will be going to get him again. Tamed him way back in the golden days of WoW and set him free to go after the Spirit Beasts. With all the new room in the barn I can have him again. I like his old look over his now live look. Though I feel for those who like his look now better than his old.
SgtMakkie
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Twisting Nether EU, Bloodhoof EU

Unread post by SgtMakkie »

Kalliope wrote:<3 Noah for listening to those who desperately wanted their aqua kitties back!
yaay Thanks 8-)

SgtMakkie

Sig by Kamoodle

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.

Pwncess
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor (US)

Unread post by Pwncess »

They might look the same, as someone had made an example of Humar and Pitch, but they're not.
I know there is a huge difference.

With both examples of Humar/Pitch and Rak/Shy, one is so flippin easy to get (and with the looks of the next patch, will be even easier to get Shy.)
and the other is a rare elite.
So while they may share a skin, it's the fact that you know you sat and camped the rare spawn for the very reason that you are a hunter and you camp the rare, hard-to-find pets, regardless of the fact they share a skin with a common.

THIS is exactly why I was so upset when they took away the (Elite) in my Humar's name after the tame. People would comment about it since they knew he wasn't Pitch because of the elite by his name. I want that back more than anything, so people can see that we don't just always take the easy way out when camping a rare; that we actually did the hard work that requires patience that most don't have....which is why not everyone plays hunters. (:

So yeah, like I said before, I am glad that people who understand where I'm coming from in this post that having Rak back to his aqua skin makes a huge difference to a lot of people. While I'm personally saddened to learn the "rare to me" white tiger model that I fell in love with will be made common, I can still get it if I really decide to have one around. (I've already abandoned mine since I already have Shy in my stable.) While the white tiger model will become common, at least we know it won't be gone. Just because it's not Rak anymore doesn't mean it can't be special to you. You can love having a pet that is a common model if you really love that model. They don't all have to be rares. ^_^

Being a Hunter is like Pokemon.
I gotta tame em all!

It's a good thing I love Pokemon, too!
My Stable
My Mounts
My Companions

Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

Fillmore wrote:
The funny part is that with the respawn timers being what they are in this area it's not that big a deal getting them anyway. I think I read the new Siam is a five minute spawn a la Ashtail...
Actually, they fixed the 5 minute (and lower) spawn timer for Sian-rotam, I been on the ptr for awhile now and he still isn't here.

It is true tho, given the remote area there is a chance he won't be messed with, but then again, he is right with Shy so could play a part on being a pain to catch do to quest activity.