Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I think the patch is coming out soon. Caught this on twitter from Blizzard CS.
Return to Zul'Gurub, The Amani Regrouped, Rare Mounts and More – oh my! Check out the Patch 4.1 Content Preview #blog: Rise of the Zandalari
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Yup. I'm shallow. I'm sitting here going, "I can't wait for that mount to come out!".
I need a life...
Can I join the club with you? I'm so excited for that mount to come out.

CMON BLIZZARD, RELEASE IT ALREADY, WE'RE READY TO THROW OUR MONEY AT YOU!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Rikaku wrote:
LupisDarkmoon wrote:Yup. I'm shallow. I'm sitting here going, "I can't wait for that mount to come out!".
I need a life...
Can I join the club with you? I'm so excited for that mount to come out.

CMON BLIZZARD, RELEASE IT ALREADY, WE'RE READY TO THROW OUR MONEY AT YOU!
I'm checking daily for it. XD

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

How can Blizzard, after like 7 years still manage to break models this badly?
The wing on this thing is a "cannot unsee" thing. I mean, I think the mount looks pretty cool and I'm tempted to buy it, but the fact that the wing is bent all sorts of funny just seems kind of silly. It's sitting on the gryphon skeleton from what I can see, do their wings look like that too?

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It looked much better in the initial work-in-progress images. The final version looks far too busy and cluttered. The texture also seems strangely low-res.

With the wings, the fire, the armor, the braid-beards...it just has far too much going on.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Now that you mention it, it does have an awful lot going on, doesn't it? and I bet the feet and mane will probably be flaming in the game. Erf, between all that and the busted wings, I may not buy one after all.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I don't get how only parts of his mane are on fire O.o
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I rather like it still lol, if it looks better flying then standing i probably will hover above ground rather then run around if i have my flying training, doesnt look too bad though xD I rather like all the details it has too-- specially when you think of how many new models blizz has put in the game that are oozing extreme detailing for Cata (they're going at it like kids in a candy store, they've discovered how to make killer skins like Deathwings and such lol xD)

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

cowmuflage wrote:I don't get how only parts of his mane are on fire O.o
It does look a bit funny now that you point it out. If the entire mane was burning it would look like that was some elemental part of the lion, but as it is there, with only the top...it looks like someone threw a match on top of his head. xD
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I have to see how horrendous the animation is 1st before I buy it, there maybe more wrong than right in this one. But I'm looking very foreword to the other mounts coming out, mainly this. :mrgreen:

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Lookat those busted wings. O.o

Oh well, I honestly still want one. It still looks awesome to me. xD Even if it's incredibly busy and only the top of its head flames...
I'll have to name it after this comic where the tops of their heads burn.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

The wings might look like that because of the angle the model is at, and really... that screenshot might have been taken as it was in motion and you just see something that you normally wouldn't see because it being in motion most of the time.

Heh, the only thing I find horrendous about this guy is the braided beard... I don't even have braided beards on any of my characters.

It won't keep me from buying it though.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm

Unread post by Suicune »

My take on all that was mentioned with the models new pics:

The wings are that way because they are so large to be able to support the beast that they fold against the body; they seem to be modeled more after dragon wings or bat wings than bird wings. It does look a little odd only because the angle they are sitting at would be more for a beast that doesn't have front legs/arms, and leans and uses the front set of 'shoulders/elbows' for balance by leaning them on the ground (think bats when they climb and walk around). Also, the fire is coming off the top of the 'hair' portions due to the way the effect would cover his whole head if they moved it down to emanate off of the bottom of the mane. They'd likely have to create a whole new fire effect to be able to do it, and it might look even weirder if they did. The model also doesn't look low res (in my opinion), it's supposed to look like a stone creature, like one of Therazane's minions, earthen, or the Tol'vir, rocky in appearance. It does have a lot going on, I agree, but I love detailed models, especially mounts :) Only thing I'm a little iffy on is the color of his armor. It too closely matches his body base color. I would have lightened it a little or changed the shade to a different color, something to differentiate what is him and what is not. The metal used in Twilight structures would be an amazing effect for it, it's sort of like Chromaggus' skin iridescence, in the light it changes from swirls of blue-green and purple.

I think the model looks amazing and I can't wait to get one.
~Queen of the Spirit Beasts~

Follow me on Twitter @GoddessSuicune

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced <-Main.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Shame really. Woulda made a really cool pally flying mount.
Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Miraga »

Still waiting for a 3D viewer or a video for it. From the picture Tyger posted, it's wings look wonky but the thing that's bothering me is his back right leg. Is it bent funny or am I just not seeing all of it? I guess I'm mostly disappointed in the colors. I feel like SO much more could have been done with the colors.

*waits patiently for video!*
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Rikaku wrote: CMON BLIZZARD, RELEASE IT ALREADY, WE'RE READY TO THROW OUR MONEY AT YOU!
This. :D
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Miraga wrote:Still waiting for a 3D viewer or a video for it. From the picture Tyger posted, it's wings look wonky but the thing that's bothering me is his back right leg. Is it bent funny or am I just not seeing all of it? I guess I'm mostly disappointed in the colors. I feel like SO much more could have been done with the colors.

It's because you're viewing it from a weird angle. You're seeing the two hind legs, but not both hind feet from that angle.
The wing on this thing is a "cannot unsee" thing. I mean, I think the mount looks pretty cool and I'm tempted to buy it, but the fact that the wing is bent all sorts of funny just seems kind of silly. It's sitting on the gryphon skeleton from what I can see, do their wings look like that too?
In my opinion, Gryphons wings look way worse. From what I can tell that is a modified gryphon skeleton. It has slight differences but its mostly the same. Gryphons wings bend really weirdly too, and break in a lot of spots, it's just hidden a little better. My guess is Blizzard didn't want the model to be a straight gryphon model, so it has much larger wings then the gryphon models, which they then decided to carry out differently.

In this image you can see how right below the blue banner/collar the first part of the wing thats closest to the body actually breaks into the body (this is the part you really only tend to see in flight).

And if you look at the top part of the picture, you'll notice the wings fold in a really harsh angle which would definitely not be possible if we wanted to be serious about wings.

However, I think the reason that the models do this is weird "broken wing bend" just because of technical limitations on models.

Miraga
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin

Unread post by Miraga »

Rikaku wrote:
Miraga wrote:Still waiting for a 3D viewer or a video for it. From the picture Tyger posted, it's wings look wonky but the thing that's bothering me is his back right leg. Is it bent funny or am I just not seeing all of it? I guess I'm mostly disappointed in the colors. I feel like SO much more could have been done with the colors.

It's because you're viewing it from a weird angle. You're seeing the two hind legs, but not both hind feet from that angle.
OH! I was wondering why it looked that way! Thanks for pointing that out to meh! :3
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks for that Rikaku. That gryphon model does look pretty wonky.

[/center]
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Do I need to point at the horrid wyverns we Hordies have had to stand since BC?

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.