PTR: Oil-Stained Worg Taming & ZG Findings

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

PTR: Oil-Stained Worg Taming & ZG Findings

Unread post by ToxicCreed »

I am not 100% certain if it has been mentioned (As I'm not sure how many have gone out to test if it is still possible to tame them) but I was on a pre-made 85 hunter and had done the questing for it to see how well one could tame the Oil-Stained Worg with the 7 second Taming time now.

It was a bit tricky, trying to get the timings right but it is possible. The problem I ran into was the fact that if you DID manage to tame it, you just could not SUMMON it.

I spent 5 minutes of attempts and had thought that I 'failed' on many of the ones where it would just disappear and it said taming finished but I could not summon the worg. After a little while, 3 'successful' tames later, I was going to attempt another tame (Since I only had 2 pets, thinking the worgs that failed and dismissed were gone) when it said "You already control too many pets."

My thoughts were... "What?" So I flew to the area, and checked my stables. I had THREE of the Oil-Stained Worgs... and I was puzzled. Perhaps it's a glitch for the most part... but this shows that you can still get them (You have to wait for about a second right before it eats to cast taming, least that's how I did it) but they do NOT show up on your Call Pets bar unless you go to a Stable Master and look.

Another thing I noticed, while running into ZG (To explore solo on my hunter) I took a look over at the Level 86 wasp in the instance... did anyone else happen to cast Beast Lore On it? Because it says Tameable XD I thought that was amusing. One more thing with ZG, it is possible to solo tame one of the Hunched Black Panthers in there if you can get to it right.

With the right use of Camo you can run up and beyond the area to the Gurubashi town where there are no adds to attack you. If you get up on top of the ledge back there and go up towards where the one group of 3 paths you can shoot them. Placing an Ice Trap there you can shoot, pull and get the tame going. Granted, I DIED afterwards but I DID manage to tame a saber on my own in there.

Thought I would mention those in case they weren't brought up before. Happy hunting everyone!
Last edited by ToxicCreed on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Re: PTR: Oil-Stained Worg Taming & ZG Findings

Unread post by Kurasu »

Drakkena wrote: I spent 5 minutes of attempts and had thought that I 'failed' on many of the ones where it would just disappear and it said taming finished but I could not summon the worg. After a little while, 3 'successful' tames later, I was going to attempt another tame (Since I only had 2 pets, thinking the worgs that failed and dismissed were gone) when it said "You already control too many pets."
Did you try logging out and then logging back in? Because this was always the case with the Oil-Stained Worgs. You have to log and relog for them to be summonable. :)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4MF0QUCw4

^ Vid I posted awhile back on how to tame those ZG beasties safely :)

And yeah as Kurasu says, you generally need to relog to see the trick-tamed pets :D
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Kurasu wrote:
Did you try logging out and then logging back in? Because this was always the case with the Oil-Stained Worgs. You have to log and relog for them to be summonable. :)
I think I recalled awhile back on a Zellia video where I saw that she had tamed and then summoned it right after. But then again I could very well be wrong, who knows.

Another thing I found while doing random things on my hunter (And dieing horribly while trying to solo Halls of Reflection 8V Arthas overkill GAH!) was while doing the first few bosses of The Oculus, the Mage which normally transports to the circle to fight didn't...

He stayed on the final platform where you would encounter him (And he'd summon mobs then flee to the circle platform) and would engage you... he teleported to the center of the circle once but it was so far out of range that it wasn't even a hazard. Perhaps it's a bug?
Syriana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Syriana »

I remember that happening in Occulus a few weeks ago on live servers. It was quite puzzling.
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

Drakkena wrote:
Kurasu wrote:
I think I recalled awhile back on a Zellia video where I saw that she had tamed and then summoned it right after. But then again I could very well be wrong, who knows.

Another thing I found while doing random things on my hunter (And dieing horribly while trying to solo Halls of Reflection 8V Arthas overkill GAH!) was while doing the first few bosses of The Oculus, the Mage which normally transports to the circle to fight didn't...

He stayed on the final platform where you would encounter him (And he'd summon mobs then flee to the circle platform) and would engage you... he teleported to the center of the circle once but it was so far out of range that it wasn't even a hazard. Perhaps it's a bug?

Urom? hes working as intended then you have to make him do that 3 times at different platforms then hell go into the middle ring for the real fight and hes a pushover
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I think they mean that rather than going to the end-boss fight area, he simply fought on the platform where he does his final summon?

On the PTR he was normal for me, it sounds like some strange bug :P
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

When I tamed both of my oil worgs (way prior to the shattering) and flaming boar (after the shattering) I didn't have to log out then back in to summon them. I never had a problem with immediately summoning the worgs.
Granted this very much could have changed since my taming the oily worg but I don't think so since I didn't have to with my fire pig.

Did you use the macro method or???

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

zedxrgal wrote:When I tamed both of my oil worgs (way prior to the shattering) and flaming boar (after the shattering) I didn't have to log out then back in to summon them. I never had a problem with immediately summoning the worgs.
Granted this very much could have changed since my taming the oily worg but I don't think so since I didn't have to with my fire pig.

Did you use the macro method or???
I used no Macro's at all while taming the worgs, just threw the meat, waited and then casted tame. When it disappeared it said leaving combat, etc. and I didn't have the worg to summon.

And I think it's one strange bug for me then O_o I was on my worgen hunter (And yes I meant Urom) I had Attacked and fought him the other two platforms, fought his summons but the third he just stayed and fought XD It was quite weird. I might try again and see if he'll do it again but that was quite the odd bug lol.
Huntard
Realm: Mal'Ganis

Unread post by Huntard »

Is there a trick to taming appearance buff pets still? Or is it just the old method and hope?
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Huntard wrote:Is there a trick to taming appearance buff pets still? Or is it just the old method and hope?
If you mean how to tame to Oil Stained Wolf? There is only one real way to tame them, you require the Quest Lupis Pupus. You will have a thing of meat that you throw at the worgs which will turn them neutral.

The timing could be a bit difficult, because you have a 7 second taming time now and it will take a few failures to likely get it right. But, what you do is throw the meat, wait for it to stop and just before it starts to eat, cast tame. You're goal is to have the tame finish when the worg disappears.

As I mentioned in my starter post, it is likely not going to show up into your stable, so if you believe you failed then and have filled up pet slots, try taming one of the other mobs around the area. If it says you have too many, then you have tamed your worg, if not, try try again.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

i have tamed the oily worg two times: once with the quest (before i knew about the macro) and once with the macro. i could summon it right away using the timing method on the quest, and i had to relog to see it using the macro. maybe it's just persnickety?

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Syriana wrote:I remember that happening in Occulus a few weeks ago on live servers. It was quite puzzling.
^ Same. Had it happen on live servers some odd days ago.

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Drakkena wrote:
Huntard wrote:Is there a trick to taming appearance buff pets still? Or is it just the old method and hope?
If you mean how to tame to Oil Stained Wolf? There is only one real way to tame them, you require the Quest Lupis Pupus. You will have a thing of meat that you throw at the worgs which will turn them neutral.
The bolded statement is now false.

I can solo tame an Oil Stained Wolf with no help at all as a Horde character (no quest needed).

It does require that you use the PetAbandon macro though.

If need be I can go into details, but there are several appearance buff threads that I have explained how to tame the appearance buff pets easily.

I do not take credit in how I do it though... it was explained how to do it in one of the main appearance buff threads.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
ToxicCreed
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Pent wrote:
Drakkena wrote:
The bolded statement is now false.

I can solo tame an Oil Stained Wolf with no help at all as a Horde character (no quest needed).

It does require that you use the PetAbandon macro though.

If need be I can go into details, but there are several appearance buff threads that I have explained how to tame the appearance buff pets easily.

I do not take credit in how I do it though... it was explained how to do it in one of the main appearance buff threads.
Well for me that was in general the only way that I knew how to tame it. I haven't been capable of keeping up with things so the statement mentioned in my post was from my experience and not much more.